Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 117
Re: OT: AC/DC future in question
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 21, 2014 17:03

keefriff99
DGA35
Brian hasn't written lyrics since Blow Up Your Video in 88. I recall reading that he was going through a divorce at that time so Angus and Malcolm handled all the lyrics and have done so since then, although I'm not sure why.
The excuse was that Brian was going through a divorce during The Razor's Edge tour, and that the royalties he would have been paid for writing credits would have gone towards alimony.

Doesn't really make sense though, does it? He'd have to pay alimony either way, so making MORE money from writing royalties would only be a benefit to Brian.

My guess is that Angus and Malcolm, being something of control freaks, just got used to writing lyrics and decided to keep all the writing to themselves.

And I think the lyrics have suffered horribly as a result. Brian was no Bon Scott, but he makes the Young brother look like Dylan.

I believe you may have meant the Young brothers make Brian look like Dylan, if I'm understanding you correctly.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: November 21, 2014 17:33

RollingFreak
Yes, every AC/DC show is the same on that given tour. I saw them twice on the Black Ice tour: once at Madison Square Garden and once at Giants Stadium. They were different shows, but only because of the environment. They maybe have one or two touches of different banter between songs, but thats always relatively the same, and the music is identical show to show.

And thats not bad at all. With another band, it would be. But somehow AC/DC pull it off. Maybe the songs/hits are just THAT good that you don't really ever get tired of hearing them? Maybe its the band's energy that just makes you not NOT like the show? Maybe its that they somehow, despite having done the same show for the last 20 years, make EVERY show seem like they are completely into it? I don't know. Its something about them, but it works. They are kind of the only band I can think of where I don't think its bad they play the same set every night.

And like I said, its tour to tour. I'll see them once a tour. They played some great deep cuts on the Stiff Upper Lip tour like What's Next To The Moon, and they always do throw a few bones. Its just the same bones throughout the entire tour so its only necessary to see once. Me personally, I'm still waiting for their tour of just their 70s material like Rocker, Rock And Roll Damnation, If You Want Blood You Got It. And even wanting that, I'm still satisfied beyond belief with their current shows.

I pretty much agree with all that you say, but I do wish they had that "every night is different" approach the Stones have. For me, DC is sort of like a movie I love, where I can watch it once every so often, but no need to watch night after night after night. You are spot on that they seem have embraced the "make every song, your favorite tune" approach when playing live (although I am so sick of The Jack).

If I met someone from Mars that had 3 minutes & wanted to know what rock n' roll sounded like, I would put on a Rock n' Roll Damnation. Their simplicity is purity. When I was a kid I was as into DC as I was the Stones...memorized every album (track listing/yr), lyric, riff, etc. Then I found James Taylor!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 21, 2014 20:09

treaclefingers
keefriff99
DGA35
Brian hasn't written lyrics since Blow Up Your Video in 88. I recall reading that he was going through a divorce at that time so Angus and Malcolm handled all the lyrics and have done so since then, although I'm not sure why.
The excuse was that Brian was going through a divorce during The Razor's Edge tour, and that the royalties he would have been paid for writing credits would have gone towards alimony.

Doesn't really make sense though, does it? He'd have to pay alimony either way, so making MORE money from writing royalties would only be a benefit to Brian.

My guess is that Angus and Malcolm, being something of control freaks, just got used to writing lyrics and decided to keep all the writing to themselves.

And I think the lyrics have suffered horribly as a result. Brian was no Bon Scott, but he makes the Young brother look like Dylan.

I believe you may have meant the Young brothers make Brian look like Dylan, if I'm understanding you correctly.
Yes, that's what I meant. smiling smiley

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 21, 2014 20:26

Hi Keef and Treacle. I thought when I originally read about Brian's divorce was that he had alot on his mind so perhaps it was hard for him to write lyrics? I also remember seeing an interview with him I think around the Stiff Upper Lip time. He was asked if he wrote any of the lyrics and he said no and he was glad he didn't have to. I would think that the royalties that he earned just for Back In Black would be more than enough for any alimony payments!
Gotta admit, I'm pretty impressed with the songs I've heard so far from the new album. One thing I like is that the songs aren't too long. Keep them fairly short, around 3 minutes, perfect!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 21, 2014 21:38

As I am the one who originally brought up the question about Brian's writing, the divorce excuse was good for one album. Maybe it is a logistics issue.

Angus's main residence is in Holland
Malcolm I think is Australia
Brian's is Florida

The brothers I'm sure would get together and plan out these things.
Brian is busy with his racing and car collecting when not recording or touring with the band.
The Young brother's have never been to Brian's house all these years (according to an interview with Howard Stern a few years ago).

....I just think a guy who wrote most of the lyrics to one of the top 5 selling albums of all time, after an over 20 break, should be given another chance...and if he can't be bothered, he should have been persuaded to do so...
...That being said, what I've heard from the new record sounds good, so maybe it won't matter....a short (about 35 minutes) but select field...as they say in horse racing...

Date: November 21, 2014 22:06

DGA35
Hi Keef and Treacle. I thought when I originally read about Brian's divorce was that he had alot on his mind so perhaps it was hard for him to write lyrics? I also remember seeing an interview with him I think around the Stiff Upper Lip time. He was asked if he wrote any of the lyrics and he said no and he was glad he didn't have to. I would think that the royalties that he earned just for Back In Black would be more than enough for any alimony payments!
Gotta admit, I'm pretty impressed with the songs I've heard so far from the new album. One thing I like is that the songs aren't too long. Keep them fairly short, around 3 minutes, perfect!
Well if Brian prefers not writing, then that's his choice. I know Geezer Butler liked it when Ronnie Dio was in Black Sabbath because that meant he didn't have the added pressure of writing lyrics for Ozzy anymore.

I just think the Young brothers' lyrics are fairly terrible. Now OF COURSE I don't listen to AC/DC for brilliant lyrics, but Brian's at least made sense and had some clever wordplay.

It doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed their albums since 1990, but some of their songs make me cringe.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 23, 2014 06:44

Just heard Back in Black on a friggin' WalMart commercial....my respect for them just went down a notch. Just can't imagine them needing the $ that bad. confused smiley peace

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: November 23, 2014 09:34

Naturalust
Just heard Back in Black on a friggin' WalMart commercial....my respect for them just went down a notch. Just can't imagine them needing the $ that bad. confused smiley peace
the Stones have done things that didn't deserve our respect, haven't they? Stuffing drugs in diapers, playing for private banks,...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 23, 2014 22:27

Harm
Naturalust
the Stones have done things that didn't deserve our respect, haven't they? Stuffing drugs in diapers, playing for private banks,...

Yeah probably but the Stones seem to have outgrown that stuff, quite respectable fellows theses days, although I think Charlie likely never had a disrespectful moment. winking smiley peace

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 23, 2014 23:08

ROCKMAN

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: November 23, 2014 23:47

Tonight at midnight EST, Rock or Bust video.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: November 24, 2014 05:37

powerage78
Tonight at midnight EST, Rock or Bust video.

Can't wait! Listening to Flick Of The Switch, forgot how awesome this album is!

Date: November 24, 2014 05:39

Anyone know any good bootlegs from the Flick Of The Switch tour?

Date: November 24, 2014 06:06

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: November 24, 2014 09:59

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: November 24, 2014 12:31

JohnnyBGoode
Anyone know any good bootlegs from the Flick Of The Switch tour?

Stevie Young did not perform on the Flick Off The Switch Tour, but un the US leg of the Blow Up Your Video

If you want to check how he performed, get the Johnson City show (Oct. 23 1988)
If you really want a FOTS show, get Laguna Hills (Aug 13 1986)

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: November 24, 2014 12:40

A good sample of Stevie Young's work :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PoUU6KMg3vk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: November 24, 2014 14:30

Try the URL, Doc.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: November 24, 2014 14:36

Doc
If you really want a FOTS show, get Laguna Hills (Aug 13 1986)

That must have been a LONG Flick Of The Switch tour if it was still going in 1986 winking smiley

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: November 24, 2014 14:38

Rumour today that Simon Wright has been sounded out about taking back the drum stool. Whilst this doesn't fill me with happiness (THE RUDD IS THE ONLY MAN FOR THE JOB IMHO) it's a damn sight better than the prospect of having Chris Slade back!

God, I still have nightmares about that whole Razors Edge period

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: November 24, 2014 15:16

JohnnyBGoode

I can imagine a whole new AC/DC history if Brian Johnson had turned the role! Very nice mash-up. thumbs up

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 24, 2014 22:29

andy js
it's a damn sight better than the prospect of having Chris Slade back!

Slade won't come back... he's 69! smoking smiley

Date: November 24, 2014 22:41

dcba
andy js

What a shame, Slade is a far better drummer than Wright...
...but I'l accept whatever choice they make.

Date: November 24, 2014 23:48

ANYONE bringing up Slade needs to keep his age in mind, and watch how insanely intense his drumming was on the AC/DC Live video from 1992.

He still records and plays live, but nowhere near on the level that AC/DC demands. I just don't see him doing a world tour at that level of playing intensity at age 68.

Simon Wright, while being much younger at 51, also has toured the world regularly with Dio, Geoff Tate and other live acts. I think he's in far better shape to survive the rigors of a big global tour.

I can't say I really dug his playing in AC/DC, BUT it's not his fault. The two albums he did with them (Fly on the Wall and Blow Up Your Video) were pretty much the band's creative nadir, and were both plagued by poor production.

I could definitely see Wright being back, or a third unknown option, well before Chris Slade.

Date: November 24, 2014 23:50

BluzDude
dcba
andy js

What a shame, Slade is a far better drummer than Wright...
...but I'l accept whatever choice they make.
Slade is a very gifted drummer, but I thought always thought his playing lacked the necessary AC/DC groove.

He just power-drove every classic song of theirs into the ground with a breakneck tempo, plus he kept his high hat clamped shut and it made the tempos very stiff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-24 23:51 by keefriff99.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 24, 2014 23:56

Here's an iTunes preview for the entire new album: [smarturl.it]

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 25, 2014 00:03

Slade and Chris Slade with AC/DC were both great when I was 10 till 38, but I am 50 and counting now.....
I like the Black Pete at 01.52 in the Rock or Bust video though.drinking smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 25, 2014 00:46

keefriff99
I thought always thought his playing lacked the necessary AC/DC groove.

I heard two songs from the new album and yeah the 1st thing that hit me wasn't the great riffing, it was that groove. That unique Phil Rudd groove!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 25, 2014 00:49

I've just finished to listen to the new album, and it's quite good.

Date: November 25, 2014 01:08

OK, I get the age thing...

Well maybe Chris join a Senior Circuit tour with Page and Rodgers for a FIRM reunionwinking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1756
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home