Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 117
Re: OT: AC/DC future in question
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 25, 2014 02:27

Hi Keefriff, one thing I've always wondered is did Simon also participate on Flick Of The Switch? I know Phil is credited on the album but some of the songs don't sound like his playing style, like Rising Power.
Saw the opening night of that tour in Oct 83 in Vancouver. I remember Fastway was the opening band, Fast Eddie Clarke's band after he left Motorhead.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 25, 2014 05:59

DGA35
Hi Keefriff, one thing I've always wondered is did Simon also participate on Flick Of The Switch? I know Phil is credited on the album but some of the songs don't sound like his playing style, like Rising Power.
Saw the opening night of that tour in Oct 83 in Vancouver. I remember Fastway was the opening band, Fast Eddie Clarke's band after he left Motorhead.
I don't think we'll ever know the truth about the FOTS sessions. Some songs sound like Rudd, but a few don't. I do know that Phil and Malcolm got into a fist fight at one point, so it's hard to see how he finished the sessions.

Rising Power in particular has a very odd alternating tom/high hat pattern than Rudd NEVER played before or since.

Ah, Fast Eddie is a CRIMINALLY underrated guitarist. I love all of Motorhead's lineups (particularly the current Kilmister/Campbell/Dee lineup because of their longevity), but it hasn't been the same since Eddie and Philthy left the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-25 06:00 by keefriff99.

Date: November 25, 2014 06:02

dcba
keefriff99
I thought always thought his playing lacked the necessary AC/DC groove.

I heard two songs from the new album and yeah the 1st thing that hit me wasn't the great riffing, it was that groove. That unique Phil Rudd groove!
Rudd's groove is just incomparable. So simple, yet SO difficult to replicate. The way he tickles the high hat is a thing of beauty.

It's a shame he's such a deplorable scumbag in his private life. AC/DC doesn't need that nonsense at their ages, particularly with Mal ailing.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: November 25, 2014 06:26

Listening to Rock The Blues Away. Love it! ROCK OR BUST!

Date: November 25, 2014 06:29

I can't stop smiling! smiling smiley

Date: November 25, 2014 07:07

Just finished listening to the album. Wow! Black Ice who? They could play the whole album live. I love the album start to finish, but if I had to pick top five songs...

1. Rock The Blues Away
2. Baptism By Fire
3. Miss Adventure
4. Hard Times
5. Rock Or Bust

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: November 25, 2014 08:00

is the new album out now?

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: November 25, 2014 08:13

Best songs on the first listen would have to be: Play Ball, Dogs of War, Baptism By Fire, Rock the House, Sweet Candy.

Brian Johnson really brings it on this album! But he's a bit buried on a few tracks, hoping that's a result compression of the iTunes stream and he sounds clearer on the actual album.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: November 25, 2014 12:05

The album is not bad at all, with some unexpected melodies

Still,
- Miss Adventure ain't good...
- Emission Control could've been an unreleased B-side for a single, or a japanese Edition Bonus track
- Baptism By fire could have been produced sligtly more powerfully to be really really great, instead of just good

Just my humble opinion

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 25, 2014 13:27

mandu
is the new album out now?

[smarturl.it]

Date: November 25, 2014 14:02

You can listen to it (and pre-order) at iTunes as well. I'm doing that as we speak. Sounds good thumbs up

Date: November 25, 2014 15:21

OneHit
Best songs on the first listen would have to be: Play Ball, Dogs of War, Baptism By Fire, Rock the House, Sweet Candy.

Brian Johnson really brings it on this album! But he's a bit buried on a few tracks, hoping that's a result compression of the iTunes stream and he sounds clearer on the actual album.
I don't know how Brian can possibly sound so good at 67 years old, given how much he smokes. His voice sounded pretty well shot back in the '90s, and now he's singing like it's 1983 all over again, only with more soul and blues.

Really inspiring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-25 18:52 by keefriff99.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 25, 2014 15:29

Overall I like the album. Sounds like typical AC/DC to me. Then again I'm not a hard core fan, maybe they're more critical. The same way we are with The Stones.winking smiley

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: November 25, 2014 16:02

I've heard Play Ball and Rock or Bust which are both solid, no nonsense tracks. I mean, they're a one trick pony but what a pony it is!! I still feel like a noob as I only heard This House is on Fire for the first time on Sunday. Now That's What I Call AC/DC.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 25, 2014 19:08

About "Rock or Bust" the use of silence within the song is quite stunning.

I can't see any other band who can master this.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: November 25, 2014 21:17

Father Ted
I've heard Play Ball and Rock or Bust which are both solid, no nonsense tracks. I mean, they're a one trick pony but what a pony it is!! I still feel like a noob as I only heard This House is on Fire for the first time on Sunday. Now That's What I Call AC/DC.

Kinda funny how history gives perspective. At the time of its release Flick of the Switch was much maligned and considered to be sub-par....

Cheers,
SonicD

Date: November 25, 2014 22:19

Hi SonicDreamer, I think one of the main problems when Flick Of The Switch was released is that they went from Mutt Lange producing their previous 3 albums to self producing Flick. It has the raw Let There Be Rock sound which wasn't as commercial.
Also, I think at that point, the fans had their fill of AC/DC! Remember, they weren't big in North America until BIB and then suddenly everyone discovered their back catalog. Then Dirty Deeds gets rush released by Atlantic in early 81 and then Those About To Rock comes out in late 81. I was in high school when all of this happened and remember everyone buying all their albums.
Around that same time, all the British/ Euro metal bands were getting popular in North America like Priest, Maiden, Leppard, Scorpions, etc.

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: November 25, 2014 23:44

DGA35

It is strongly suspected that a session drummer by the name of BJ Wilson played on the tracks Rising Power and Badlands. Simon Wright wasn't hired until after the FOTS sessions.

Date: November 26, 2014 00:49

Hi Onehit, never heard that story before! Badlands was another song I was thinking about in my original thread, especially the opening not sounding like Phil.
Best part of Phil's drumming I like is the end of most songs, his famous ba-da-lump ending.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 26, 2014 01:25

Herald Sun --- 26 November 2014

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: November 26, 2014 01:42

It would not surprise me a bit to see Simon Wright back in the fold. They're probably still mates and the same line-up played together when Stevie filled in while Malcolm was in rehab on the 1988 tour. I rather enjoyed the "Wright" years, he's very well accomplished and I prefer him over Chris Slade.

Date: November 26, 2014 01:50

shadooby
It would not surprise me a bit to see Simon Wright back in the fold. They're probably still mates and the same line-up played together when Stevie filled in while Malcolm was in rehab on the 1988 tour. I rather enjoyed the "Wright" years, he's very well accomplished and I prefer him over Chris Slade.
Simon has done very well for himself over the years...I saw him play with Ronnie Dio's eponymous band a few times and was impressed.

He wouldn't need to exercise his chops nearly as much in AC/DC, but he's more than capable of holding that beat down.

Date: November 26, 2014 08:54

I wonder if Simon ever regretted leaving the band after the 88 tour to join Dio, even though he would have eventually been replaced by Phil again in the mid 90's?

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: November 26, 2014 14:25

Apparently Phil acted strange in court the other day. I just seen footage where he was blinking with one eye to the jury and jumped on the security guards back on the way to his car...

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: November 26, 2014 15:20

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 26, 2014 15:32

Some of the scenes are missing in this clip. A close up of mister Rudd making strange faces and blinking his eye.

Date: November 26, 2014 15:47

Wuudy
Apparently Phil acted strange in court the other day. I just seen footage where he was blinking with one eye to the jury and jumped on the security guards back on the way to his car...
That dude is completely out to lunch. Sad...he used to be a handsome guy, and he looks like he's aged 30 years in the last 10.

Meth is a terrible drug. Apparently he was 20 minutes late to his hearing, flipped off the media, and almost caused a car accident leaving court.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 26, 2014 16:00

Phil Rudd looks in a bad way to me. Sad. sad smiley

Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: November 26, 2014 16:03

He look like Walter White's meth maker

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: November 26, 2014 19:31

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1789
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home