Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 117
Re: OT: AC/DC future in question
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 16, 2014 19:57

I hope Malcolm gets better. It really won't be the same for me without him. But, if the band want to carry on performing and making music, I wouldn't hold it against them - who am I to tell a man to stop working and making a living.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 16, 2014 19:58

DandelionPowderman
Is there really a rhythm guitarist in the Stones? winking smiley

yes, with all that weaving who can tell, right?

Date: April 16, 2014 20:06

smiling smiley

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 16, 2014 20:12

drbryant
I hope Malcolm gets better. It really won't be the same for me without him. But, if the band want to carry on performing and making music, I wouldn't hold it against them - who am I to tell a man to stop working and making a living.

This band has certainly soldiered on before, and with glowing results when it seemed impossible. So I agree if they want to do it they should. If they listened to me, AC/DC would have been over in 1980 and that would have been a great shame.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: April 16, 2014 20:40

DandelionPowderman
Is there really a rhythm guitarist in the Stones? winking smiley

Not of Malcolm's quality sadly

Date: April 16, 2014 20:56

My point was that the Stones don't have a guitar player merely dedicated to rhythm and strumming, like AC/DC have.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 16, 2014 20:57

[www.rollingstone.com]

Looks like things are going ahead as planned! Rock on AC/DC!

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: April 16, 2014 21:32

AC/DC is Angus Young (+Brian Johnson on vocals)

without Angus, AC/DC would make no sense.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 16, 2014 21:34

Love Malcolm's rhythm playing.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 16, 2014 21:40

Ladykiller
AC/DC is Angus Young (+Brian Johnson on vocals)

without Angus, AC/DC would make no sense.

That is what 80% of the crowd thinks, and the reason why they will carry on.
If Angus was about to leave the band, AC/DC would be no more.
I believe only the in-crowd value the importance of Malcolm.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 16, 2014 22:52

Yeap : during the 1988 tour nobody noticed Mal wasn't onstage (okay cousin Stevie looked a lot like Young Sr).

The ? is now : who'll they pick for the 2014-15 shows? A guy from Rose Tattoo? One of the Airbourne bros?

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 16, 2014 23:13

My guess is Angus can do all the guitar tracks in the studio and they hope in a few months time Malcolm can rehab his co-ordination enough to join in on the tour. I wish him all the best.

Date: April 16, 2014 23:14

andrewt
My guess is Angus can do all the guitar tracks in the studio and they hope in a few months time Malcolm can rehab his co-ordination enough to join in on the tour. I wish him all the best.

+1

Maybe they're hoping for Malcolm to do some easy stuff in the studio as well.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: April 16, 2014 23:30

My guess is they have a few decent songs left over from the 2008 'Black Ice' album sessions which the band will polish up in the studio this year. These, along with other unreleased or unfinished tracks from previous sessions, will make up the bulk of their next album release. A 40th anniversary tour planned for later this year will be pushed back until 2015 and if Malcolm Young is healthy enough he may join them...perhaps in a limited role like Mick Taylor does with the Stones. In either case, they will employ another guitarist to cover Mal's parts onstage. After the tour is finished - with or without Malcolm - AC/DC will likely retire.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-17 01:52 by TornAndFried.

Date: April 16, 2014 23:53

I actually wish they wouldn't put out a new album and just tour for the 40th. I was looking at my iTunes today, and the problem with their setlists is they have so much, like the Stones, that they HAVE to play and then there's nothing left for anything else. The 11 are:

1. Hells Bells
2. Shoot To Thrill
3. Back In Black
4. You Shook Me All Night Long
5. TNT
6. Thunderstruck
7. Let There Be Rock
8. Whole Lotta Rosie
9. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
10. For Those About To Rock
11. Highway To Hell

They kind of can't get anyway with not playing those, and I understand that. So thats a little more than half the set. Once I looked at that I thought "oh, well there's a lot of room for rarities here. 8 slots or so." Then I remembered "right, its that every time they have a new album they insist on playing 4-5 songs every night from it" so now we're down to only 3-4 rarities. And those "rarities" are usually taken up by Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be and Shot Down In Flames and others of that ilk that are their typical standbys.

So, I'd say don't release a new album and tour off the catalogue you already have. They can play those 11 they have to, not worry about new stuff, and really explore their catalogue. I'd love it if the 8 slots or so were taken by:

1. What Do You Do For Money Honey or Have A Drink On Me
2. Heatseeker
3. Problem Child or Squealer or Rocker
4. Shake Your Foundations or Sink The Pink
5. Girls Got Rhythm or If You Want Blood (You've Got It)
6. Bad Boy Boogie or Go Down
7. Rock N Roll Damnation or Riff Raff or What's Next To The Moon
8. Jailbreak or a newer one like Stiff Upper Lip or Rock N Roll Train

That way they keep more of a balance, its not just hits and it really represents a 40th anniversary. Any AC/DC show is good, even if its for a newer album, but the fact is that they have so many hits, that the new album tracks then take up too much room and there's nothing left for the people that have seen these songs tons of times before. Go on one final tour and really open up the setlist.

Just a suggestion and something I thought of today when thinking about them doing a new album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-16 23:55 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 17, 2014 00:11

Do they not play this live RollingFreak?

If not, they certainly should!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 17, 2014 00:13

Hairball

Not in the 34 years I've been attending their shows

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 17, 2014 00:50

A few weeks ago...Brian Johnson with...

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: April 17, 2014 04:23

BluzDude
Hairball

Yeah, they don't play it without Bon. He played the bagpipes on it.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 17, 2014 04:32

Lucinda Williams, of all people, did a pretty bitchin' cover of It's A Long Way To The Top a few years ago.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 17, 2014 04:39

RollingFreak
I actually wish they wouldn't put out a new album and just tour for the 40th. I was looking at my iTunes today, and the problem with their setlists is they have so much, like the Stones, that they HAVE to play and then there's nothing left for anything else. The 11 are:

1. Hells Bells
2. Shoot To Thrill
3. Back In Black
5. TNT
6. Thunderstruck
7. Let There Be Rock
8. Whole Lotta Rosie
11. Highway To Hell

That's a very good analysis. Is "The Jack" not a warhorse also? Seems I've seen them play it about a dozen times, and it never fails to amuse me when they plaster female concertgoers' images on the screen while we all sing along, "She's Got the Jack!"

I'd add "Ballbreaker" to the second list. Great memories of the 1996 tour. The set list also has to be suitable for whatever vocal cords Brian has left.

Date: April 17, 2014 04:52

RollingFreak
BluzDude
Hairball

Yeah, they don't play it without Bon. He played the bagpipes on it.

I've never seen them live, but after Bon Scott died I never felt the urge to.
Seems a good amount of the set lists are Bon era tunes, but I guess Brian Johnson doesn't play bagpipes.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: April 17, 2014 07:10

TornAndFried
My guess is they have a few decent songs left over from the 2008 'Black Ice' album sessions which the band will polish up in the studio this year. These, along with other unreleased or unfinished tracks from previous sessions, will make up the bulk of their next album release. A 40th anniversary tour planned for later this year will be pushed back until 2015 and if Malcolm Young is healthy enough he may join them...perhaps in a limited role like Mick Taylor does with the Stones. In either case, they will employ another guitarist to cover Mal's parts onstage. After the tour is finished - with or without Malcolm - AC/DC will likely retire.

The problem with Black Ice was that it included some weaker tracks.
They should have removed 3/4 songs for using them as B sides for instance.

I don't believe they have great leftovers from these sessions anyway...

Date: April 17, 2014 07:22

DeanGoodman
RollingFreak

1. Hells Bells
2. Shoot To Thrill
3. Back In Black
5. TNT
6. Thunderstruck
7. Let There Be Rock
8. Whole Lotta Rosie
11. Highway To Hell

That's a very good analysis. Is "The Jack" not a warhorse also? Seems I've seen them play it about a dozen times, and it never fails to amuse me when they plaster female concertgoers' images on the screen while we all sing along, "She's Got the Jack!"

I'd add "Ballbreaker" to the second list. Great memories of the 1996 tour. The set list also has to be suitable for whatever vocal cords Brian has left.
I thought about The Jack, but personally I just don't like the song very much. As you mentioned, its great live just for that great shtick they do, but they play it every tour. I don't think it would be missed one time around, or at least maybe put it in a rotating slot so its not there every night. Again though, I know thats just personal opinion as its not a favorite of mine, but I just don't think it would be noticed or missed if it wasn't there.

And yes, definitely that second list could be expanded. I love Money Talks as well and they could add in some more Stiff Upper Lip or Black Ice songs. Just at least make that a rotating kind of album slot for those choices. They have too many songs in their 40 career that really do unfortunately go unplayed, and when every other song in your set is a MASSIVE hit, they could afford to dig a little deeper.

Date: April 17, 2014 07:27

Hairball,

If you've never seen them live and are a fan, I definitely suggest you do. They put on an excellent show and its one you only really need to see once. Its a hell of a concert and they really are one of a kind. Bon was a unique frontman, but Brian's great too and they play the older songs great. An AC/DC concert is something all music fans should experience.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: April 17, 2014 07:37

Doc
TornAndFried

The problem with Black Ice was that it included some weaker tracks.
They should have removed 3/4 songs for using them as B sides for instance.

I don't believe they have great leftovers from these sessions anyway...

Perhaps there are some unused or incomplete tracks left over from previous albums? Epecially ones Malcolm wrote and played on. They could finish these off and along with a few new songs and maybe even a cover or two, cobble together a decent album like the Stones did with 'Tatoo You.'

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 17, 2014 07:45

RollingFreak
Hairball,

If you've never seen them live and are a fan, I definitely suggest you do. They put on an excellent show and its one you only really need to see once. Its a hell of a concert and they really are one of a kind. Bon was a unique frontman, but Brian's great too and they play the older songs great. An AC/DC concert is something all music fans should experience.

+1. Never fails to amaze me when people deny themselves simple pleasures based on strange principles.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 17, 2014 07:45

RollingFreak
Hairball,

Totally Agree thumbs up

Date: April 17, 2014 08:57

RollingFreak
Hairball,

Unfortunately I might have missed the of chance seeing them w/Malcolm,
but keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well with the band from this point forward. thumbs up

Posted by: howled ()
Date: April 17, 2014 09:33

If anyone wants to hear Malcolm on his own, then listen to Malcolm's solos and playing on Evie (written by Harry Vanda and George Young).

Malcolm is a huge part of AC/DC, and someone could fill in for him for a tour, but not for the songwriting and other things.

Mark Evans gives an account of how the early AC/DC songs were done, and George Young (Angus and Malcolm's brother) is in the mix and George is a great songwriter.

It was George who introduced the bagpipes into "Long Way To The Top" and he also helped on the song and he also helped on the "High Voltage" chorus and a lot of other songwriting things on the early albums up to Powerage and maybe even after Powerage.

--------------------------------

George Young (Angus and Malcolms older brother and producer) on Bass.

Harry Vanda and Malcolm Young on Guitars.

John Proud on Drums.

Warren Morgan on Piano.

[www.acdccollector.com]

MALCOLM YOUNG PRE-AC/DC

Lp HARD ROAD (Australia) Albert/EMI APLP-005 (74) Malcolm Young guest guitar.

7" Evie (Part 1) / Evie (Part 2)-Evie (Part 3) (Australia) Albert/EMI AP-10468 (74) Features Malcolm.

[keesjis.guitarworld.com]

"Getting back to the recording process a bit, how did songwriting happen? Were all the songs written on the road?

No, no, no. Angus and Malcolm may have come up with some ideas and lyric ideas along with Bon, but the songs were all written in the studio. Phil and myself wouldn't really have too much of an idea of what was going to be going on at all until we got into the studio. Angus and Malcolm might have had a guitar riff that they showed us at a soundcheck or something, but then they'd take it into the studio and George would get a hold of it and what would come out would probably be something very different anyway.

Everything was written in the studio, that's the amazing part."

------------------------------------

"What do you remember about the recording process in those days? In the book, you talk about some albums being done in as little as two weeks.

Yeah, pretty much! The three studio albums I did with the guys -- the Australian T.N.T., which eventually became part of High Voltage, Dirty Deeds and Let There Be Rock -- were all recorded in a two-week period.

The first week would be set aside for putting the backing tracks together -- which would include writing them, I might add. We never did demo recordings; we never had the time because we were constantly on the road in those days. The backing tracks were recorded all in a week and written in the studio. George would get together with Malcolm and Angus and they would knock the structures of the songs together. We would sit down and groove 'em out and get the backing tracks recorded that first week, and then after that it would go straight over to Bon, who would start fitting up words for it."

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-17 09:45 by howled.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1453
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home