Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Australia and New Zealand rescheduled show announcement Tuesday April 15
Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 15, 2014 12:44

Yikes, Nickelback!

Hunters and Collectors - a couple of OK songs back in the day. But it's a vaguely insulting choice by Frontier, which has decided that no local acts - contemporary or otherwise - are worthy of supporting the Stones in NZ. It's also surprising that they did not add a second show elsewhere in NZ.

Jimmy Barnes was the main reason I emigrated to America. I couldn't take him on the radio every 90 minutes croaking his fake working-man rock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-15 12:47 by DeanGoodman.

Posted by: rubyeveryday ()
Date: April 15, 2014 12:46

New York fan looking for one ticket in the pit for Brisbane.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 15, 2014 13:03

I really liked it in Perth. Now they added one more show there. Looks great.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 15, 2014 13:30

SKILLS

Believe me, it's really only the Stones that matter, but allow us to be a tad greedy, we only get them 6 times in 50 years 3 before i could walk

Is this the reason why AUS/NZ with total only 27.5 mill. inhabitants gets 9 shows, while US/CAN (352 mill. inhabitants) got last year 18 shows and Europe (12 Tour-countries, total 326 mill. inhabitants) gets only 14 shows? winking smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 15, 2014 14:26

European shows are on average much higher capacity, though. So hardly a like-for-like.

Delighted for the Aussie/NZ fans that the shows have been rescheduled relatively quickly (inside a month - not a bad turnaround).

And good on the Stones for adding extra dates - a nice touch especially to add a second night in Perth as that was the city which got their show postponed at shorter notice than the rest. Additionally because returning there to begin with will be emotionally pretty hard for Mick, I'd imagine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-15 14:28 by Gazza.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: April 15, 2014 15:08

Do ya think it is possible to add some handful shows (5 to fill the 14) in South America in early October?

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: April 15, 2014 15:25

I am a bit anxious about the next row concerts as there is nothing mentioned anymore about Mick Taylor. Does it seem that he is not anymore a Special guest?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 15, 2014 15:26

The impression I got was that the South American leg was going to be significantly more than just 5 shows. There were at least 5 countries mentioned, to begin with!

If that still holds true, I cant imagine the South American leg happening this year now. This rescheduling has changed a lot of plans for the latter part of the year. More likely that - if theyre going to add more shows yo keep to this '14' theme - they'd do them somewhere else. Wasnt there talk of gigs in South Africa at some point?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 15, 2014 15:27

Irix
SKILLS

Believe me, it's really only the Stones that matter, but allow us to be a tad greedy, we only get them 6 times in 50 years 3 before i could walk

Is this the reason why AUS/NZ with total only 27.5 mill. inhabitants gets 9 shows, while US/CAN (352 mill. inhabitants) got last year 18 shows and Europe (12 Tour-countries, total 326 mill. inhabitants) gets only 14 shows? winking smiley

....let's see if anyone can do the math on total Stones shows in US and Europe vs Australia/NZ over past, say, 50 yrs.

Population should not come into it. We are fans down here as well, and whilst we don't take it as a 'right' that they come here, like you apparently seem to imply you do, we will and do appreciate it.

I am very thankful and grateful the Stones have made the decision TO return so very soon after the tragic death of Mick's partner, and that they have decided to play another show in my home city (shows 5 and 6 here in 50 yrs!).

Rgds
Rod
PERTH

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: April 15, 2014 15:27

surely Taylor is part of the Aussie shows

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 15, 2014 15:28

Irix
SKILLS

If I had time, I'd sit down and total the number of shows in the last 50 years, continent, and population..... and I'm pretty sure that the USofA would come out rather better than either Australia or New Zealand in that more measured comparison.

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: April 15, 2014 15:30

I'm excited! The move of Brisbane to a Tuesday causes issues for me with work- I'd take 2 sick days but everyone knows I'm going. Still I have pit tickets so I'm going one way or the other!

Might even see if I can get a cheap ticket to the Hunter Valley and stretch the budget to an extra show...

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 15, 2014 20:44

Hi Folks

I would very much like to come down under from London so looking for a ticket would consider any show but I'd really love to do Sydney as I used to live there when I was a bambino, if anyone has a spare ticket or knows where I might be able to score one please let me know.

Thanks
Nate

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 15, 2014 23:40

Nate
Hi Folks

I would very much like to come down under from London so looking for a ticket would consider any show but I'd really love to do Sydney as I used to live there when I was a bambino, if anyone has a spare ticket or knows where I might be able to score one please let me know.

Thanks
Nate

It appears that they have enough tickets returned to anticipate presales for the shows, and of course there is a new show at Hope Estate outside Sydney. I was thinking of attending that show, but the reviews of Hope Estate are so bad it's funny.

[www.tripadvisor.com]

Date: April 16, 2014 01:25

Irix

... and mainland China 1400 million people only one show in Shanghai and India 1300 million people with no shows in ages and Africa no shows since they did not bring the cobra... Life is unfair.

Just like they have played in every single city in USA with more than one million people over the years, including Missoula, Wichita, Louisville, Albany, Portland OR and so on and on, they want to perform in the main cities of Australia, where it takes several hours to fly between each city. The travel from Perth to Adelaide is like NYC to Las Vegas.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 16, 2014 10:55

bv

Just like they have played in every single city in USA with more than one million people over the years, including Missoula, Wichita, Louisville, Albany, Portland OR and so on and on, they want to perform in the main cities of Australia, where it takes several hours to fly between each city. The travel from Perth to Adelaide is like NYC to Las Vegas.

My post with the number of shows per inhabitants wasn't meant entirely seriously, therefore the winking smiley

Yes, it seems there is at the moment a huge demand in AUS/NZ, the Stones have fun to tour there and this is a good thing. What has astonished me that 27.5 mill. people have generated nearly the same demand (203000 seats) like the 352 mill. people in US/CAN (ca. 252000 seats), counted together the venue capacities from the IORR Tour dates page.

The distances in AUS/NZ are large, but not larger than in North America or Europe. While Perth-Adelaide is 2140 km, a fan from Wichita in Kansas had last year to travel about 2000 km either to West- or East coast. Melbourne-Hanging Rock or Sydney-Hunter Valley aren't far away, Sydney-Brisbane is about 735 km. Similar distances in Europe: Lisbon-Berlin 2300 km, Oslo-Rome 2000 km, according to the Google Maps distance measuring tool.

I don't wanna distort the reality with statistics or write a PhD thesis ..... only some thoughts about effort / costs and demand in general. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-16 11:55 by Irix.

Date: April 16, 2014 11:37

Take a look at where they performed in 1963-1965. Cities. Countries. Home territories. Where they built their fan base in the very beginning. Then you will understand how they return to these cities and areas these days, knowing this is the other end of their window in time:

***** The Rolling Stones Far East Tour 1965 (first tour of Oceania):

22 January 1965 Sydney, Australia, Manufacturer’s Auditorium, Agricultural Hall (2 shows)
23 January 1965 Sydney, Australia, Manufacturer’s Auditorium, Agricultural Hall (3 shows)
25 January 1965 Brisbane, Australia, City Hall (2 shows)
26 January 1965 Brisbane, Australia, City Hall (2 shows)
27 January 1965 Sydney, Australia, Manufacturer’s Auditorium, Agricultural Hall (2 shows)
28 January 1965 St. Kilda, Australia, Palais Theatre (2 shows)
29 January 1965 St. Kilda, Australia, Palais Theatre (3 shows)
1 February 1965 Christchurch, New Zealand, Theatre Royal (2 shows)
2 February 1965 Invercargill, New Zealand, Civic Theatre (2 shows)
3 February 1965 Dunedin, New Zealand, Town Hall (2 shows)
6 February 1965 Auckland, New Zealand, Town Hall (2 shows)
8 February 1965 Wellington, New Zealand, Town Hall (2 shows)
10 February 1965 St. Kilda, Australia, Palais Theatre (2 shows)
11 February 1965 Adelaide, Australia, Centennial Hall (2 shows)
13 February 1965 Perth, Australia, Capitol Theatre (3 shows)
16 February 1965 Singapore, Badminton Hall (2 shows)

***** Then take a look at their first North America tour in June 1964:

06/05/1964 San Bernardino, California, Swing Auditorium, Orange Show Fairgrounds
06/06/1964 San Antonio, Texas, State Fair, Joe Freeman Coliseum, 'San Antonio Teen Fair’ (2 shows)
06/07/1964 San Antonio, Texas, State Fair, Joe Freeman Coliseum, 'San Antonio Teen Fair' (2 shows)
12/06/1964 Excelsior, Minnesota, Big Reggie’s Ballroom, Excelsior Amusement Park
13/06/1964 Omaha, Nebraska, Music Hall Auditorium
14/06/1964 Detroit, Olympia Stadium
17/06/1964 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, West View Park
18/06/1964 Syracuse, New York, War Memorial Arena
19/06/1964 Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, Farm Show Arena
20/06/1964 New York City, Carnegie Hall (2 shows)

Australia and New Zealand have always been a long long time core fan base for The Rolling Stones, even if they have more fans in USA and Germany these days. But the distance has been large, and you just don't pop over to Australia, not even these days. It takes 30 hours just flying time to New Zeland these days, and in the past it might take a week.

They might choose to perform 10-15 shows in Germany and make more money, they might perform 50-100 shows in USA, but they choose to go around the world to those fans who paid their first bills back in 1964 and 1965 too. And as you see they did more shows in Australia and New Zealand on their first tour than the first North America tour.

I am still stating the fact that anyone in North America had the chance to see the Rolling Stones with less than 3 hours travel by flying during the past year or so. Now it is the same with Europe. And Australia, and New Zealand.

I am happy for the fans far away and down under, the Stones return to perform there, they added two shows to pay for the extra cost, and may be, may be, when they have finished with these tours, they still feel like doing a few more shows in 2015. Fifteen On Fire.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: April 16, 2014 11:45

2015 would be great. That would be the first time since 19XX they were on tour for four years. We can enjoy this smaller tours even more, they are not so stressful for the band and for the fans.
Just South America is left now on their full world tour...
Great Place for big concerts like the Stones love it. smiling smiley

Posted by: Macnee2 ()
Date: April 16, 2014 12:34

Thankyou bv, I never knew that Australia was as significant as this in building the Stones up when they were young. Centennial Hall at the Wayville showgrounds is also where the Beatles played 3 shows in '64 and drew 3/4 of our population out onto the streets. Adelaide made history that day for the fabs and has been a rock city ever since. Can anyone guess where ACDC broke big?

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: April 16, 2014 13:19

They will play in my hometown 2 days after my birthday. It will be a good week.

Posted by: JK62 ()
Date: April 16, 2014 13:58

About The Stones and Australia... Mick Jagger´s mother was born in Australia.

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: April 16, 2014 14:06

They haven't played Adelaide or Perth in nearly 20 years!

Posted by: ozstonesfan ()
Date: April 16, 2014 14:28

Australia and New Zealand are still part of the Commonwealth and despite being strong and independent countries we have a familiarity and fondness for the band that is heightened by the isolation we feel in terms of distance. A Stones tour Downunder is no different than anywhere else in the world but we can't help feel blessed that the band is coming so far to play for us. It is going to be huge especially after the cancellation.

Cheers
Andrew

Posted by: rcfoxy ()
Date: April 16, 2014 14:38

Fantastic that they have added 2 more shows. I will go to both and as BV basically said Perth was wonderfull last month and I'm looking forward to getting back there in October.

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: April 16, 2014 16:22

Nate
Hi Folks

Thanks
Nate

I'm also thinking of coming from London to one of the Australian shows. I have a ticket for Rome but still haven't booked a flight (thanks to my travel buddy changing his mind repeatedly!). My budget is limited and Australia might make more sense....my brother's moving to Adelaide permanently in a couple of months. I had planned to visit him next year but it's such a long and expensive trip so I might as well go at the same time as the Stones are there!

Where would people recommend I attend a show? I'm hoping to try a see more of Australia than just Adelaide (where my brother will be) but not sure if I can afford more than one city on this trip. It will be my time to Australia - and I'm very much looking forward to it!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 16, 2014 16:38

Irix
bv

My post with the number of shows per inhabitants wasn't meant entirely seriously, therefore the winking smiley

Yes, it seems there is at the moment a huge demand in AUS/NZ, the Stones have fun to tour there and this is a good thing. What has astonished me that 27.5 mill. people have generated nearly the same demand (203000 seats) like the 352 mill. people in US/CAN (ca. 252000 seats), counted together the venue capacities from the IORR Tour dates page.

The distances in AUS/NZ are large, but not larger than in North America or Europe. While Perth-Adelaide is 2140 km, a fan from Wichita in Kansas had last year to travel about 2000 km either to West- or East coast. Melbourne-Hanging Rock or Sydney-Hunter Valley aren't far away, Sydney-Brisbane is about 735 km. Similar distances in Europe: Lisbon-Berlin 2300 km, Oslo-Rome 2000 km, according to the Google Maps distance measuring tool.

I don't wanna distort the reality with statistics or write a PhD thesis ..... only some thoughts about effort / costs and demand in general. smiling smiley

The shows have different economics. As I am sure you remember from Econ 101, demand decreases as prices increase. Ticket prices in the US were much higher, across the board, than in Australia. It's entirely possible that the demand curves are identical (or very similar) in the US and Australia, but that the difference you see in ticket sales is entirely a function of differing prices.

Date: April 17, 2014 00:36

MarthaTuesday
Nate
Hi Folks

Thanks
Nate

I'm also thinking of coming from London to one of the Australian shows. I have a ticket for Rome but still haven't booked a flight (thanks to my travel buddy changing his mind repeatedly!). My budget is limited and Australia might make more sense....my brother's moving to Adelaide permanently in a couple of months. I had planned to visit him next year but it's such a long and expensive trip so I might as well go at the same time as the Stones are there!

Where would people recommend I attend a show? I'm hoping to try a see more of Australia than just Adelaide (where my brother will be) but not sure if I can afford more than one city on this trip. It will be my time to Australia - and I'm very much looking forward to it!

Adelaide will be an amazing show.

Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane are great cities.
Melbourne is a rock town, very cool city. The a Melbourne Cup is on the day before gig. If you love horses, ladies and fun times, get along. The race stops the nation and is a public holiday in Melbourne. Everyone, even non racing fans like me get into it.
Sydney has the amazing Harbor, stunning scenery close to CBD.
Brisbane is close to Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast.

Australia...you will love it!

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 17, 2014 00:40

Deathgod

Nate
Hi Folks

Thanks

Adelaide will be an amazing show.

Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane are great cities.
Melbourne is a rock town, very cool city. The a Melbourne Cup is on the day before gig. If you love horses, ladies and fun times, get along. The race stops the nation and is a public holiday in Melbourne. Everyone, even non racing fans like me get into it.
Sydney has the amazing Harbor, stunning scenery close to CBD.
Brisbane is close to Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast.

Australia...you will love it!

You missed out the Jewel in The Crown.

Hanging Rock is THE most amazing place to have a concert, let alone The Rolling Stones!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 17, 2014 02:49

<<Melbourne is a rock town, very cool city.>>

Couldn't be anything but with Rockman living there! cool smiley

Date: April 17, 2014 03:47

I have a feeling Rod Laver will be THE show of the tour