Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Lisa Fischer In Toronto 22 April
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 17, 2014 18:28

Cocaine Eyes
“I’m going to look at the schedule and in between working with the Stones, I’m just going to venture out — just sing for the pure joy of it,” she promises.

[www.thestar.com]

hot smiley

I'm glad I saw your thread before it got rolled into the other, or I might have missed it completely! There are very few seats left but I was able to snag one. Lavish thanks!

Re: In praise of Lisa Fischer
Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: April 17, 2014 19:00

I'm happy you saw the thread. It's very difficult to find new stuff when it's rolled into older threads.

Have a wonderful time......I'm certain you will!! grinning smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 17, 2014 23:21

NedKelly
Redhotcarpet
No I agree with Oz. Not that there's anything wrong with Lisa Fisher, she, Bernard and Chuck are just not part of "my Stones".

That must be pretty sad, since they´ve been a part of the touring band for like 30 years or so.....

Sad? Not at all. I can always enjoy the studio version or some of the many live versions from 1972/1973 or 1975.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: April 18, 2014 15:38

Hi Richard yes mate I was Monkey Man long ago and remember trading with you back before electricity. How are you son? I'm surprised to see a name around that's lasted so long.

Treacle she's eye candy I admit but just not Stones material for me is all. I'm better eye candy nowadays that said...they should employ me instead smoking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 18, 2014 23:23

OzHeavyThrobber
they should employ me instead smoking smiley

Yeah ... well ... maybe you look gorgious ... but, bud, butt ... can you sing ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: April 19, 2014 04:24

You bet Hansie!! I can even fill in for Keith doing his solo spots too! grinning smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 19, 2014 05:25

She was great with Nine Inch Nails.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 19, 2014 09:07

crholmstrom
She was great with Nine Inch Nails.

[www.youtube.com]

thumbs up Great Lisa!

Posted by: gagi ()
Date: April 21, 2014 22:43

Monkey girl....

-------------------------------------------

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: April 22, 2014 05:04

The Rolling Stones hire Lisa and Chuck tour after tour because they like them and they get the job done! Y'all get used to it! I think they are both great!

Date: April 23, 2014 22:32

Lisa was pretty amazing, and very well received last night. It was wonderful to see her in her own light. She was fun, funny, generous with the musicians, self-deprecating, charming, playful, and that was without singing a note. She is wearing her hair short, and came to the stage wearing a long dress and bare feet.

Then she sang. I got a good sense of her range in 20 Feet From Stardom, but last night she put on a clinic. I don't know how many octaves there are, but believe she hit all of them with an incredible interpretive performance and note-perfect control. She only sang 3 numbers but she was electric in a way I don't remember ever seeing before. She sang I Loves You Porgy, Fever and a very slow, jazzy Gimme Shelter. (The crowd was kinda old and I think I was one of the few who really appreciated the latter.)

Truly a stunning performance, and I although I usually prefer blues to jazz, I would leap at the chance to see her in a full solo concert if she ever comes around. Way to go, Lisa!

I'm seeing Aretha on Friday. I can't imagine it will be better...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 23, 2014 23:45

I never understood that bare foot thing...

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 23, 2014 23:49

Great review SomeTorontogirl. Thank you

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 23, 2014 23:59

Rolling Hansie

This! smiling smiley

Date: April 24, 2014 00:43

Rolling Hansie

Thanks Hansie! How are you and your lovely bride A?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 24, 2014 00:46

Stoneage
I never understood that bare foot thing...

it used to accompany pregnancy...that's all I'm aware of

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 24, 2014 00:46

latebloomer
Rolling Hansie

This! smiling smiley

Yes, thanks! I'm in Toronto next week...would have been good to catch!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 24, 2014 05:14

SomeTorontoGirl

I got a good sense of her range in 20 Feet From Stardom

When I saw 20 Feet from Stardom, I thought "Wow, she's got the power and range of Whitney Houston, why isn't she as big a star?" Then I realized that there's a lot to be said for staying 20 feet from that center spotlight.

But yeah, amazing talent.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: April 27, 2014 15:34

She's great

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: April 27, 2014 17:10

She has great range and power, no doubt. And the rest of the band obviously like her, or she would have been gone years ago.

But for me, she adds little to nothing. She allows for a female lead on Gimme Shelter. She did a great turn on 'Night Time Is The Right Time' cover with Mick in 2005. But more Vegas than Stones. More show than soul.,,,but that is what the band is now, too.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 27, 2014 17:46

Very talented but way too Vegas in many Stones shows I've seen. Always assumed that the band liked her that way.

I prefer Aretha, Merry, Mavis etc. etc.

Saw Ray Charles several times at the age of 10 where I first heard Merry Clayton as one of the Raelettes. Fantastic!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 27, 2014 19:07

SomeTorontoGirl
Lisa was pretty amazing, and very well received last night. It was wonderful to see her in her own light. She was fun, funny, generous with the musicians, self-deprecating, charming, playful, and that was without singing a note. She is wearing her hair short, and came to the stage wearing a long dress and bare feet.

Then she sang. I got a good sense of her range in 20 Feet From Stardom, but last night she put on a clinic. I don't know how many octaves there are, but believe she hit all of them with an incredible interpretive performance and note-perfect control. She only sang 3 numbers but she was electric in a way I don't remember ever seeing before. She sang I Loves You Porgy, Fever and a very slow, jazzy Gimme Shelter. (The crowd was kinda old and I think I was one of the few who really appreciated the latter.)

Truly a stunning performance, and I although I usually prefer blues to jazz, I would leap at the chance to see her in a full solo concert if she ever comes around. Way to go, Lisa!

I'm seeing Aretha on Friday. I can't imagine it will be better...

Excellent review, thanks, STG!

I caught a sense of her personality and range from 20 feet too, and then in a Q and A documentary with her and other singers. Plus I'd met her briefly in London before a show, saw her perform with Bernard and Tim Ries' band. What a special treat to see her do three numbers in the context you describe, with those songs.

Can't wait to hear about Aretha. cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: April 27, 2014 20:07

Hi Angee,

I met Lisa briefly in London too. She wasn't at the Tim Ries show I attended, only Bernard was there. I was at Tim's first show, I think you and the larger group were at the second show. Memories of a great week...

Aretha was fine, but the horrible acoustics in the venue didn't help her show (warning: beware Roy Thompson Hall!) But her 24 piece band were totally kick ass, and she looks very healthy and in great shape. I would try her again if in a different venue.

Hope you're well!

A

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: April 27, 2014 22:04

Very interesting to read what is on her twitter mind.

Posted by: sangfreud ()
Date: May 6, 2014 02:51

free lisa fischer show in brooklyn on 8/7.

[www.brooklynvegan.com]

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2016
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home