Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Would Members of the Bach Choir Sue the Stones, ABKCO... ?
Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: April 12, 2014 08:49

Do you ever think the members of the Bach Choir (or their families, considering some of the oldest members who were in that ensemble back in 1969 might be dead now) would have sued the Rolling Stones, Jody Klein and his late father's (he died in 2009) record label ABKCO, demanding royalties from each of the three parties for their part in "You Can't Always Get What You Want"? Again, these 60 or so singers weren't all youngsters at the time despite what some critics and websites say.

I know in 2004-05 Clare Torry sued Pink Floyd over her part in their 1973 classic "The Great Gig in the Sky," and she won. Not long before that, or perhaps at the same time, the Floyd also had legal issues posed by the former members of the Islington Green School choir who contributed to the group's 1979 (early 1980) hit "Another Brick on the Wall (Pt. 2)." Those ex-choirboys went after the Floyd by exploiting the Copyright Act 1996, which through the guidance of Peter Rowan and the social website Friends Reunited, and finally got their royalties - although that money came from broadcast licenses rather than from PF or their record label EMI. Their royalties were given a boost when their part of the song was sampled in Eric Prydz' "Proper Education."

So, do you think the members of the Bach Choir, or their families, would sue the Stones and the son of their infamous ex-manager for royalties from YCAGWYW?

~Ben

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-12 09:01 by BrianJones1969.

Re: Would Members of the Bach Choir Sue the Stones, ABKCO... ?
Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: April 12, 2014 09:17

BrianJones1969
Do you ever think the members of the Bach Choir (or their families, considering some of the oldest members who were in that ensemble back in 1969 might be dead now) would have sued the Rolling Stones, Jody Klein and his late father's (he died in 2009) record label ABKCO, demanding royalties from each of the three parties for their part in "You Can't Always Get What You Want"? Again, these 60 or so singers weren't all youngsters at the time despite what some critics and websites say.

I know in 2004-05 Clare Torry sued Pink Floyd over her part in their 1973 classic "The Great Gig in the Sky," and she won. Not long before that, or perhaps at the same time, the Floyd also had legal issues posed by the former members of the Islington Green School choir who contributed to the group's 1979 (early 1980) hit "Another Brick on the Wall (Pt. 2)." Those ex-choirboys went after the Floyd by exploiting the Copyright Act 1996, which through the guidance of Peter Rowan and the social website Friends Reunited, and finally got their royalties - although that money came from broadcast licenses rather than from PF or their record label EMI. Their royalties were given a boost when their part of the song was sampled in Eric Prydz' "Proper Education."

So, do you think the members of the Bach Choir, or their families, would sue the Stones and the son of their infamous ex-manager for royalties from YCAGWYW?

~Ben

I doubt it. The choir was probably paid a flat union-scale fee for their part on the recording, and like any other session musicians their financial stake in any future royalties on the record or radio play would not have been part of their contract. I don't know the details of the two parties who successfully sued Pink Floyd, but perhaps they were supposed to receive additional royalty payments based on record sales and broadcast fees.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 12, 2014 12:33

There's no comparison: Clare Torry improvised her entire contribution to The Great Gig in the Sky. The London Bach Choir followed instructions.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 12, 2014 12:54

The girls who screams "PIB!" during one of the MSG'69 shows should sue the Stones, ABKCO and their auntie!
I mean I bought GYYO for her, not for the band right?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 12, 2014 16:19

dcba
The girls who screams "PIB!" during one of the MSG'69 shows should sue the Stones, ABKCO and their auntie!
I mean I bought GYYO for her, not for the band right?

She'd have to remember she did it.

To do that, she'd first have to remember she was at the show.

Posted by: 1967fan ()
Date: April 12, 2014 16:55

...and isn't she also on Flashpoint somewhere as crowd noise as we'll?

Date: April 12, 2014 18:50

1967fan
...and isn't she also on Flashpoint somewhere as crowd noise as we'll?

funny how her voice hadn't changed after all those years.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 12, 2014 19:07

Sue! Sue! Sue! Me! Me! Me! smoking smiley

Posted by: 1967fan ()
Date: April 13, 2014 01:22

Seriously' isn't it the same clip of her used just before PIB on Flashpoint or am I confused?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 13, 2014 01:35

1967fan
Seriously' isn't it the same clip of her used just before PIB on Flashpoint or am I confused?

No. She actually goes to all their shows, but unfortunately her entire vocabulary consists of just five words.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: April 13, 2014 02:34

But remember Gazza she is good at other things..haha.

Posted by: mrpaulincanada ()
Date: April 13, 2014 02:42

Sueing the Stones...

Well this falls under contract law, so unless someone here has a copy of the contract or has seen it, any discussion is probably pointless.

However, as mentioned, most studio musicians are paid a flat fee for their recording performance, and that's it....no residuals, no royalties...but it depends upon what's in the specifc contract....

Woman shouting "Paint it Black you devil" from GYYYO...

Matt Clifford sampled the GYYYO audio and added it to the Flashpoint audio track

for whatever reason....

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 13, 2014 03:31

<<most studio musicians are paid a flat fee for their recording performance, and that's it....no residuals, no royalties>>

That's the reason Herbie Flowers overdubbed a second bass part on Lou Reed's Walk On The Wild Side--so that he would be paid twice and earn 24 quid instead of just 12 for the session.

Date: April 13, 2014 04:12

Another question: how old were the youngest members in the Bach Choir at the time this song was being cut (think back to 1968-69), and how old were the oldest?

Again, it is certain the oldest members might all be dead now, while the youngest members, my guess, are probably seniors already.

I also want to know if anyone has any old footage of the Bach Choir rehearsing their parts of YCAGWYW?

~Ben

Date: April 13, 2014 04:31

Gazza
1967fan

No. She actually goes to all their shows, but unfortunately her entire vocabulary consists of just five words.

She sometimes shortens it to "Paint It Black Beelzebub!"...depends on her energy level.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 13, 2014 07:02

How about all the teenagers screaming We Want The Stones at the beginning of the Got Live ep. Stones actually took songwriting credit for it!! Or the girl at the beginning of Cracking Up on LYL screaming Sit Down to the people infront of her!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 13, 2014 23:14

<<how old were the youngest members in the Bach Choir at the time this song was being cut (think back to 1968-69), and how old were the oldest?>>

The pics below should give some idea. Archival footage of the London Bach Choir during the recording session of You Can't Always Get What You Want was making the rounds last year as part of the 50 Years On Film celebration of the Stones, shown as a 6-minute clip. Details at: [www.moma.org]

Pics above first posted here at: [www.iorr.org]

"You Can't Always Get What You Want" Live in NJ with NJMC?
Date: April 16, 2014 03:12

If the Rolling Stones were ever to perform "You Can't Always Get What You Want" with choir accompaniment on one of their future NJ dates, I'm wondering if they would hire the New Jersey Mass Choir, who was hired to perform backing vocals on Foreigner's 1985 number 1 hit "I Want to Know What Love Is"?

~Ben

Re: "You Can't Always Get What You Want" Live in NJ with NJMC?
Posted by: SWAYZ ()
Date: April 16, 2014 05:33

WTf are you talking about

Re: "You Can't Always Get What You Want" Live in NJ with NJMC?
Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: April 16, 2014 08:47

This thread should now be closed to comment. Swayz said it all.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 16, 2014 13:06

1967fan

yes, they sampled her. definite low point for the band, although also the point when they came clean and made it clear they realized that the main thing they had to sell was nostalgia.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 16, 2014 13:09

sonomastone
1967fan

yes, they sampled her. definite low point for the band, although also the point when they came clean and made it clear they realized that the main thing they had to sell was nostalgia.

I don't see it as a low point. I see it as a little "in joke" with us!

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 16, 2014 13:11

exhpart
sonomastone
1967fan

I don't see it as a low point. I see it as a little "in joke" with us!

everyone who took it like that was definitely in the target market :-)
i agree, it's was a fun nod to 'those who knew'. but still.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 16, 2014 18:44

good luck trying to bring a lawsuit against the stones . you will go broke in legal fees before you even collect one pound

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 16, 2014 18:58

TheGreek
good luck trying to bring a lawsuit against the stones . you will go broke in legal fees before you even collect one pound

Yeah really! Mick Taylor was first in line but thought better....

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 16, 2014 21:03

2000 LYFH
TheGreek

Yeah really! Mick Taylor was first in line but thought better....
out of court settelment . mick taylor was a full fledged member .good luck for an outsider trying to get some of the glimmers silver and gold .

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 16, 2014 22:26

This sounds like a case for Unfrozen Caveman lawyer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1721
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home