Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: your biggest stones moment
Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 8, 2014 14:05

Great thread

Seeing them for the first time Leicester May 1976 Clapton guesting. Mick slapped my hand (I am 17 years old crushed against the stage no health & safety those days)
Knebworth Aug 1976
Wembley Stadium June 1999 (after waiting 23 years to see them a 3rd time)
Wembley Arena Sept 2003 (my wife catching Keith's eye and he threw her a pick even though we were up in first tier stage left and she caught it and gave it to me!
Madison Square Garden Jan 2006
Oddly, Don Valley Stadium Aug 2006 just a great atmosphere in the rain
O2 #2 Aug 2007
Hyde Park #1 2013

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: April 8, 2014 14:32

Seeing them for the first time in 73 at the Birmingham Odeon.

Was still at school and remembering my friend saying we have to go, its the last bus and we will miss it, i said to him you can carry on, but i am not missing this for anything.

Knebworth was an experience.

Meeting Bobby Keys after one of the shows in Manchester < nice guy >

Leeds and Sheffield, and Bristol were good days and also the thursday show at the 02.

Maine road and my Mrs telling me that Frank Worthington < footballer > kept looking at me whilst i was dancing.

Twickenham, where i got £150 seats for £60 < thanks to this forum > was seven rows from the front and people were shaking my hand and saying how much fun they had in watching me once again trying to dance, i must admit i was truly slayed that night and fell over a couple of times during the concert, strange thing is that i can still remember the concert.

another Twickenham the rescheduled one, where our seats were claimed by some others whilst i was up the bar, seen the stewards and we ended up by where they sat and had a big space in front of me, some younger kids came up to me half way through the concert and asked if it was ok to stop there, has i seem to be having so much fun and where they was sitting was like a morgue.

Its great how the memories come flooding back, i was only going to mention Birmingham Odeon.

I should start to write some of these down so enable for me to remember in years to come.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 8, 2014 15:53

Lending Keith my Marshall combo and having him sign it. I grease marked where he set the knobs and start from there when I use it. Second is seeing them play JJF in Philly on The Some Girls tour. I could not believe I was seeing the band that made that song from so long ago, I remember thinking these guys are really old... Now 40 years later still playing great. Impossible to believe at the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-08 16:01 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 8, 2014 15:56

"...when they made me their musical director!!" (Chuck L.)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 9, 2014 04:16

Rockman
imagine how gramma felt?! ...probably a lot better once they were gone

so, you're saying she's not a 'stones' fan then?

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: April 9, 2014 04:36

That moment I realized I was in deep, hooked on their music and story like it was a drug. Like when you realize you're really in love. I can't remember for the life of me what one thing prompted it, but it had to be sometime between September 1979 and January 1980....Because everything preceding those dates was like another world.
And the first concert in 89.

Date: April 9, 2014 04:43

has to be the first time I heard She's So Cold on the am radio.

Not a fan at that point, I thought Emotional Rescue was funny and a bit ridiculous.

SSC though, that was it for me. The guitar, the vocal, the bass, the drums. wow.

Bought the single, then bought the album, then Some Girls, then Hot Rocks, then the entire catalogue on vinyl. Then again on CD. Then again on vintage vinyl. Then again sealed vinyl (most of it anyway).

All the 45's and 12" singles and EPs, with picture sleeves, and coloured vinyl, and all the box sets, and solo albums and singles, and CD Single boxsets, then all the concert DVD's and Blu Ray.

Oh man I'm in up to my nipples!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 9, 2014 05:15

The excitement of collecting their records.

Parken, Copenhagen Denmark 2003: Seeing Keith and Charlie interact while playing the best version I've ever heard of Midnight Rambler.

Horsens, Denmark 2006: Streets Of Love. Jagger delivered a heartfelt performance.

Parken Copenhagen 2007: Ruby Tuesday. The band and audience came together in a fantastic experience, full of love and song.

Date: April 9, 2014 05:45

Nothing comes close to Glastonbury 2013. Maybe Rio.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: April 9, 2014 06:30

[youtu.be] Anaheim It's Only Rock 'n Roll--The Wave! @ 1:09

I made eye contact w/ Mick and said, "Hey!" and waved, and he kindly reciprocated while singing "Would it help to EASE MY PAIN..."
See it?? That was nice! I liked it!

And just to recap, it all happened this way: Met a German guy at Las Vegas MGM taking pics in front of Stones ad. He took our pic and we took his. Asked if he's on any fan sites. He said IORR. I said, "GREAT!" He hung out with me and my sis. Gave me his email. We all had $85's and no one got the pit, to our dismay. Sis and I were straight across from stage up high. I realized I missed half the show by not being able to see screen behind stage. I longingly looked into PIT and wanted to go to another show. New friend invited me to Anaheim to share his other $85. Paid for a friend to come along with me, since I just met this guy briefly, and he was basically a total stranger. Three of us spent the day driving up coast to Santa Monica Pier. Got back in time to get ready for concert with little time to spare. Things started to unravel. Stuck in traffic. Friend couldn't find ID to pick up $85's. More traffic. Friend extremely frustrated, coming all the way from Germany for 3 shows, and we were going to miss opening, and driving aggressively and dangerously. Somehow I felt a Peace about it all, and that we were in God's Timing. Stop and go traffic. Very last minute. Trying to park. Ticket pick-up place for $85's moved! Frantically trying to get in before show starts. Found ticket booth. Got the PIT! People telling us show about to begin. Running down stairs into PIT while Stones coming onstage with Get Off Of My Cloud. Into PIT, Keith's side. Patti in the wings. First 3 rows roped off. Room inside. Security guard told me no. A girl inside invited me in and told me to put foot over and nodded her head! Third row PIT!!!! OMG I could see their faces! I could make eye contact. I could see them interact. I could not believe it! That was the best night of my life!

Posted by: backofmyhand ()
Date: April 10, 2014 19:55

thanx for sharing your experions

Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: April 10, 2014 20:02

Had a Meet & Greet in Leipzig in 2003 during the Licks tour.

That's a day I won't forget.

Second is the excitement before the first o2 2012 show. Nobody new what would happen and they really rocked the house with 23 songs and a great performance!

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: April 10, 2014 20:08

As I saw The Rolling Stones for the very 1st time live in concert (1990). After they started their show, I was able after 1 hour or so for standing in the very 1st row. That was such a great moment. But I could see only Mick and the others only, when they came close to the edge of the stage.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 10, 2014 20:46

Straycat13

I made eye contact w/ Mick and said, "Hey!" and waved, and he kindly reciprocated while singing "Would it help to EASE MY PAIN..."

And just to recap, it all happened this way: Met a German guy at Las Vegas MGM taking pics in front of Stones ad. He took our pic and we took his. Asked if he's on any fan sites. He said IORR. I said, "GREAT!" He hung out with me and my sis. Gave me his email. We all had $85's and no one got the pit, to our dismay. Sis and I were straight across from stage up high. I realized I missed half the show by not being able to see screen behind stage. I longingly looked into PIT and wanted to go to another show. New friend invited me to Anaheim to share his other $85. Paid for a friend to come along with me, since I just met this guy briefly, and he was basically a total stranger. Three of us spent the day driving up coast to Santa Monica Pier. Got back in time to get ready for concert with little time to spare. Things started to unravel. Stuck in traffic. Friend couldn't find ID to pick up $85's. More traffic. Friend extremely frustrated, coming all the way from Germany for 3 shows, and we were going to miss opening, and driving aggressively and dangerously. Somehow I felt a Peace about it all, and that we were in God's Timing. Stop and go traffic. Very last minute. Trying to park. Ticket pick-up place for $85's moved! Frantically trying to get in before show starts. Found ticket booth. Got the PIT! People telling us show about to begin. Running down stairs into PIT while Stones coming onstage with Get Off Of My Cloud. Into PIT, Keith's side. Patti in the wings. First 3 rows roped off. Room inside. Security guard told me no. A girl inside invited me in and told me to put foot over and nodded her head! Third row PIT!!!! OMG I could see their faces! I could make eye contact. I could see them interact. I could not believe it! That was the best night of my life!

Wow you tell it well I was excited for you just reading this tale

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: April 11, 2014 00:37

Straycat13

Heh heh, nice... which reminded me... my only Stones gig was in Belgrade, 14. VII 2007. That's also the only time they played here (in 2003. the concert was cancelled coz our prime minister was killed, and in 2006. was cancelled coz Keith had that accident). I was still a student and wasn't working at that time and getting the 'fan pit' ticket - Keith's side, of course! - turned out to be almost a real problem, with me finally borrowing money (52 euros) from a cousin. But it was well worth it, of course - amazing gig, no flaws (except perhaps the messed-up intro to Brown Sugar), with one interesting moment for me personally.

I had a good spot, came early, didn't go to the front rows as it was 4 PM and the sun was merciless, so I've happily positioned myself some 15 - 20 meters from the stage and spent the whole concert leaning on that rail on the 'catwalk'. Meaning I was in the 'front row' during the mobile mini-stage. So I had a great view of Mick passing by during "Miss you", but the really nice moment happened when they were returning to the main stage, during "Honky tonk Women"; Keith was finishing his solo, and I've noticed he kept looking at the 'front row' (us on the rail) - everyone seemed to be silent and filming with their cell phones, and he's getting nearer and nearer, uh-oh, "what now?" I thought - he looked straight at me (great eyes!); he was only 2-3 meters right above me, 2 girls standing from both of my sides were both filming (it wasn't crowded at all), both like 160 cm tall, and there was me left in a middle, 188 cm (over 6 feet), with both my hands raised up, so it was almost like I was there alone; I didn't want to hysterically shout or jump, so I've tried to act 'cool', just raised my hands and two thumbs up in the air and nodded my head, like "you da man, Keith", and he smiled at me, left his guitar neck and thumped his chest in approval with his left hand and pointed at me. Yeah! "My buddy Keith!", thought I, and after the concert I was so impressed that I've just said to my rail neighbours from Slovenia "ok, see ya next time!" (that girl who was filming was with her boyfriend and we spent few hours on that rail chatting before the gig), and me being an idiot in all that excitement, forgot to ask for her email, because she was right beside me and had almost the same view.

But on the way back to my hometown of Novi Sad (90 minutes ride from Belgrade) I thought "nah, nevermind; so many cameras around me; it's bound to turn up on Youtube, right?"

Yeah, right! Nothing whatsoever for years.

Only after 3 years of searching, I was finally reminded of that moment; the person who filmed it was standing couple of meters behind me, it's a bit blurry with the bad sound, but it's there.

It's at 0:12 sec here:

... and at 0:06 sec here:

Sorry for the rant, friends... not much, but that's it from me.

Keep the cool anecdotes a-comin'...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-28 18:57 by Milan.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 11, 2014 00:50

Wonderful, the sort of moment you never forget a second of, even if Youtube doesn't oblige! smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 11, 2014 00:57

...no she was more inta Ernest V Stoneman ... of course you'd remember him wouldn't ya treacle??

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 11, 2014 01:02

Being able to hear myself scream "We love you Keith" at the 0:28 mark.

Date: April 11, 2014 01:18

Rockman

...no she was more inta Ernest V Stoneman ... of course you'd remember him wouldn't ya treacle??

DAMN! I caved in and did a google search:

[en.wikipedia.org]

I heard your papa was a rollin' stone.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: April 11, 2014 01:20

My 1st ever show has to be up there, 24th August 1990 at Wembley Stadium and part of it ended up on Live at the Maxx.

I still get a great shiver down my spine just before they come on stage at every show even now and I'm always on a massive high for days afterwards. There is absolutely nothing on this Earth I enjoy doing more than being at a Stones gigwinking smiley

My pick of the very best show of the 18 has to be Edinburgh 1999 when they were on fire. Hyde Park shows special too. O2 1 was good in that everyone was surprised just how good they were after the below par Summer 2007 tour.

Oslo & Stockholm to come for me and hope for Paris too....

Date: April 11, 2014 01:40

DAMN! I caved in and did a google search:

..........hhhehee GOT YA !!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: April 11, 2014 02:51

Rockman
....Lucy my great grandmother once showed me the kidney-stones she'd had removed ...That's pretty tuff stuff when ya only a kid...

Whooaaa Rockman, that is tuff stuff, did ya need some kind a' therapy to get thru it and do ya still have nitemares ???

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 11, 2014 03:02

2120Wolf
Rockman
....Lucy my great grandmother once showed me the kidney-stones she'd had removed ...That's pretty tuff stuff when ya only a kid...

Whooaaa Rockman, that is tuff stuff, did ya need some kind a' therapy to get thru it and do ya still have nitemares ???

No wonder Rockman is the way he is!grinning smileysmileys with beer

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: April 11, 2014 03:39

thumbs upthumbs up exhpart and Milan

Amazing how a one second acknowledgment means so much to us fans, eh? But it really does!

I wish I would've known I'd be so close to the stage in the 50 and Counting tour, cuz I would've thrown some super huge granny panties on stage, and maybe a giant bra to help them celebrate! And for sure a rose.

Date: April 11, 2014 03:44

did ya need some kind a' therapy to get thru it and do ya still have nitemares ???

I went bare-back No therapy.... but yes nightmares.. nightmares ....I still sleep with a bale of hay by the bed ta try and feed 'em ....

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-11 03:51 by Rockman.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 13, 2014 11:20

This will sound strange, but my biggest Stones moment was the day I learned that Mick Taylor would be rejoining them on stage. I was moved to tears because I couldn't believe it was actually going to happen.

Other great moments - the Voodoo Lounge concerts, the release of Exile and Sticky Fingers, seeing Performance when it was first released.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: April 13, 2014 18:40

April 12, 1999 - United Center, Chicago IL.
I got to the arena pretty early and was lingering around by the stage with my Dad. There were maybe 10 others doing the same thing. Suddenly Mick comes up and out from underneath the stage in street clothes with a film crew (later I learned it was part of a documentary). I yelled out to him. He didn't respond, but I know he heard me. Of those 10 or so people who saw this, nobody else made a sound. After Mick disappeared back under the stage, a guy next to me said "you don't see that everyday". No sir, you do not.

September 16, 2002 - Aragon Ballroom, Chicago IL.
Just seeing them in such a small place, and being down near the front on top of that. I suppose they've played better shows, but that was an unbelievable experience. I met Bernard Fowler before the show, too. A very cool guy for stopping and talking.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: April 13, 2014 21:32

Standing in the crowd New Zealand, Western Springs, at stage front taking photos 1973

Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: April 14, 2014 02:06

Seeing Mick Taylor with them in 1981

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: April 14, 2014 04:59

Babylon Tour in Vegas…backstage with All Access pass…first watched then rehearse Tumbling Dice in the afternoon..then backstage drinking with Jack Nicholson and talking to Charlie, then front row at the Joint where Keith locked eyes with me and played Gimmmie Shelter riff to me…ended on his knees in front of me, took my hand and dropped his pic in in, smiled and walked away

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2448
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home