Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9
OT: Chuck Berry European Tour 2014
Posted by: WolfgangG ()
Date: April 5, 2014 15:29

CHUCK BERRY
EUROPEAN TOUR 2014

12.04.14 - Randers, Denmark - Vaerket
14.04.14 - Moscow, Russia - Crocus City Hall

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-05 15:29 by WolfgangG.

Re: OT: Chuck Berry European Tour 2014
Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: April 5, 2014 15:35

My god, no no no more.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 5, 2014 15:37

JumpinJeppeFlash
My god, no no no more.

Absolutely. Retire Chuck, please.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: April 5, 2014 16:26

he can do what he pleases. And you can part with your money or not. There is something heroic about riding the horse till it throws you. I don't think it diminishes his legacy.

Date: April 5, 2014 16:42

letitloose
he can do what he pleases. And you can part with your money or not. There is something heroic about riding the horse till it throws you. I don't think it diminishes his legacy.

He's always done what he pleases, nothing you or I might ever have said or might yet have to say would ever have had or would ever now alter that ........ so what's your point ?

And I will certainly no longer part with my money to see him nowadays, he has done great to stay playing until now. But I have to disagree with you about the legacy, because in part someone's legacy is what YOU remember of them. I don't wish to remember him as the sad shadow of his once glorious rock n' rollin' self that unfortunately he has become today. What's down on vinyl is one thing, you cannot argue the magnificence of that, but he really ought to bow out of live performances now. It is becoming a little embarrassing.

Needless to say you'll disagree. Whatever ........... ?

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 5, 2014 16:53

paulywaul
letitloose

He's always done what he pleases, nothing you or I might ever have said or might yet have to say would ever have had or would ever now alter that ........ so what's your point ?

And I will certainly no longer part with my money to see him nowadays, he has done great to stay playing until now. But I have to disagree with you about the legacy, because in part someone's legacy is what YOU remember of them. I don't wish to remember him as the sad shadow of his once glorious rock n' rollin' self that unfortunately he has become today. What's down on vinyl is one thing, you cannot argue the magnificence of that, but he really ought to bow out of live performances now. It is becoming a little embarrassing.

Good One Paulywaul !!!!smileys with beerBeer in Stockholm if you want..
Jeroen

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 5, 2014 17:22

JumpinJeppeFlash
My god, no no no more.
What bothers me with these comments is we don't have CBII at IORR any longer... confused smiley

Date: April 5, 2014 17:27

paulywaul
letitloose

Very much embarrassing i would say, it´s total madness. He can´t play a chord right anymore.

Date: April 5, 2014 17:33

dcba
JumpinJeppeFlash
My god, no no no more.
What bothers me with these comments is we don't have CBII at IORR any longer... confused smiley

Don't we ? Why, what happened to him ? Charles Berry Jr .......... calling Charles Berry Jr, where r u ?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 5, 2014 18:46

Not sure what dcba is talking about, he must be confused, CBII seems to be alive and kicking on IORR : [www.iorr.org]

As for CB touring, well if he thinks he's up to it, why not, I for one will not part with my money and must admit I'm glad that his show in Paris last year was cancelled resulting in my front seat tickets getting refunded. I saw him live in 1987 and he was great and we have Hail, Hail to remember him if need be.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 5, 2014 18:55

Please Chuck don't do it...you are no longer able to play. Somebody stop him.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 5, 2014 19:29

KRiffhard
Please Chuck don't do it...you are no longer able to play. Somebody stop him.

This trend will continue - Fleetwood Mac, Bruce, Van Halen, ELO, Blondie, Bob Seger, etc... will play to the very end just as the Stones.

I think the work effort is outstanding.

Date: April 5, 2014 19:37

paulywaul
dcba
JumpinJeppeFlash
My god, no no no more.

Don't we ? Why, what happened to him ? Charles Berry Jr .......... calling Charles Berry Jr, where r u ?

He is still posting here.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 5, 2014 20:20

In the end successful rock stars tends to have very large families to support. That might be a reason to continue touring at old age. Of course there can be other reasons too.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 5, 2014 20:23

Great that he's still alive, well, and kicking...
but I wouldn't pay to see him.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: April 5, 2014 21:01

paulywaul
dcba
JumpinJeppeFlash
My god, no no no more.

To quote a Johnny Winter tune "Still alive and well". I learned years ago people have the right to their opinion. I may or may not agree with them, but that's what makes the world an interesting place.

CBII

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: April 5, 2014 21:11

Keep rockin' Mr Berry!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 5, 2014 21:16

I concur with paulwaul. Chuck's legacy is what it is; a pioneering figurehead of rock n' roll; but I most certainly would not part with my money to see him live. I still value my night's entertainment; Chuck's legacy and overall brilliance will, in my opinion, will never waver, but in live environment, it is surely painful to watch.

Date: April 5, 2014 21:26

People paying money to see Chuck Berry making a fool of himself and playing like a three year old are either tonedeaf or stupid.

Date: April 5, 2014 21:28

paulywaul
letitloose

Well memories are what we make of them now aren't they PaulyWaul? We would much rather you have found memories of my dad than anything else. For you that means not making the trek to another live performance. Others are satisfied with watching the Toronto Peace Festival, Old Grey Whistle Test, Johnny Carson show, Jazz on a Summers Day, Hail! Hail! Rock and Roll (still say the the Cosmopolitan Club performances blew away the shows at the Fox), countless other clips and of course all the recordings to keep you locked in for a lifetime. Then there are the people that simply cannot get enough live performances by my father.

As to legacy, he's taken his place in history and his accomplishments cannot be erased very easily. Although we will never see it again, the Voyager space craft is now in interstellar space with Johnny B. Goode waiting for Alien or Predator to give it a listen. I fully expect a response from them saying;

"SEND MORE CHUCK BERRY!"

CBII

Posted by: joshbg2k ()
Date: April 5, 2014 21:28

I saw Chuck a couple times recently, flew to St. Louis both times and was glad that I did. At one of them, he started reciting poetry for about 5 minutes, and it must have been improvised. It was one of the most beautiful things I'd ever heard. Wish I recorded it. If you love Chuck Berry go see him while you have the chance.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 5, 2014 21:31

Saw him once a couple of years ago.
Painful.

Glad I did see him though, but never again.

Date: April 5, 2014 21:38

I'll see him just to see him. He has meant a lot to me.

@ CB 3 - Once mentioned that Too Much Monkey Business on Hail Hail R&R was not to Standards. (It's still great). Here is a version I culled from YT -

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 5, 2014 21:42

Maybe he keeps playing for his own benefit and longevity, because he likes to get out of the house. His legacy won't be affected. No one today talks about how Muddy Waters or John Lee Hooker or a myriad others phoned it in. Or how people ranging from Frank Sinatra to John Paul II were a little too reluctant to leave the stage. That's the beauty of nostalgia.

Date: April 5, 2014 21:56

Chris Fountain
I'll see him just to see him. He has meant a lot to me.

@ CB 3 - Once mentioned that Too Much Monkey Business on Hail Hail R&R was not to Standards. (It's still great). Here is a version I culled from YT -

Comparatively, the Fox Theatre shows did not stand up to the Cosmopolitan and it's a real toss up between the rehearsals at Berry Park as to which were better.

Here's another from that same BBC Theatre Show. Wanna say the backing band was Rocking Horse.

Beer Drinking Woman

CBII

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: April 5, 2014 22:09

I hope those two dates are not the whole tour. I have never seen CB and I am still kicking myself for not seeing him in 2005 when he played just 100 km from where I live. I still hope I will have another chance.

PS: Prague, Vienna, Dresden...somewhere around that area would be great :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-05 23:14 by Happy24.

Date: April 5, 2014 23:32

CBII -

Thanks for the post. Although a lyrical and guitar genius, video shows how well he could sing.

Awesome!!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 5, 2014 23:52

Well put, CBII. I might not always agree with you but you always express yourself very elegantly and poised.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 6, 2014 00:06

Watching Chuck Berry on YOUTUBE always makes me feel happy.

Hendrix occasionally covered several Chuck songs but I remember him saying,
"Fun to play but I'll never play Chuck Berry songs as well as he can." Of course, almost every rock and roll star admires Chuck."

As for the negative comments here about Chuck today,in the next generation there's bound to be even worse comments about Keith. "Why didn't he just give it up...Man he sounded terrible."

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 6, 2014 00:09

stonesrule
As for the negative comments here about Chuck today,in the next generation there's bound to be even worse comments about Keith. "Why didn't he just give it up...Man he sounded terrible."

Are you seriously comparing Keith's current playing to Chuck's current 'playing'?

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2043
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home