Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"heart of stone" ... guitar solo
Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: April 5, 2014 01:11

Have sometimes wondered if Keith played it. any comments ?

Re: "heart of stone" ... guitar solo
Date: April 5, 2014 01:27

what i mean is that the solo is very good, and am not sure if Keef had become such good a guitarplayer at the time of recording heart of stone,which was very early in their carreer.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: April 5, 2014 01:29

It is played by Keith. But as far as I remember copying Jimmy Page`s solo/licks from the earlier session at Regent Sounds note by note.

Tom

Date: April 5, 2014 01:36

the notes (the scale ) is the very good, but what i admire as well is the spead of the playing, which i doubt that our keef had mastered at the time.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: April 5, 2014 01:45

the notes (the scale ) is the very good, but what i admire as well is the spead of the playing, which i doubt that our keef had mastered at the time.

??? Then better listen again to fast tracks like Carol, Route66, It`s All Over Now (solo) and so on. Like Keith stated: he copied J.Page.

Tom

Date: April 5, 2014 13:33

what i mean is that the solo is very good, and am not sure if Keef had become such good a guitarplayer at the time of recording heart of stone,which was very early in their carreer.

Listen to Little By Little from the first album smiling smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 5, 2014 15:06

DandelionPowderman

That's a really nice solo but of a totally other category than the one on HOS.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 5, 2014 15:20

this solo is quite easy, just a pentatonic minor run. that said, why is it so hard to understand that Keith always was a wonderful guitar player?

C

Date: April 5, 2014 16:59

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

That's a really nice solo but of a totally other category than the one on HOS.

What? Both are straight, simple, but cool rhythm & blues-solos. The only difference is that the solo on HOS is slower.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 5, 2014 18:07

electricmud
It is played by Keith. But as far as I remember copying Jimmy Page`s solo/licks from the earlier session at Regent Sounds note by note.

Tom

I assume you are referring to the Metamorphosis version that Page played?

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: April 5, 2014 19:14

It's not note for note. I don't know how those rumours arise when we have both versions to listen to drinking smiley

Date: April 5, 2014 19:37

Yes indeed, it could be Keith, the solo is quite simple. I'm messing it up with another one.

Date: April 5, 2014 19:42

Yes indeed, it's Keith, the solo is actually quite simple. I recalled something wrong. Blame it on my old age. smiling smiley

Date: April 5, 2014 19:44

No worries, kleerie smileys with beer

Date: April 5, 2014 20:08

DandelionPowderman
No worries, kleerie smileys with beer

Time is not on my side I guess Dandie.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: April 5, 2014 22:39

after the steel guitar break on the outtake it DOES sound note for note played by Page that Keith copies but I'm glad he did ..its a great solo. Also when you check out "Little By Little" notice that it is EXACTLY Jimmy Reed's "Shame Shame Shame" with new lyrics..

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 6, 2014 12:56

2000 LYFH
electricmud

Tom

I assume you are referring to the Metamorphosis version that Page played?

[en.wikipedia.org]

No, not that one, but the one you can hear in the the Chatlie Is My Darling film. I think it was also on an ALO Orchestra album from around that time.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 7, 2014 09:08

This one?

Date: April 7, 2014 09:58

stonehearted
This one?

I have heard this version as well, but it can't be this one - as there isn't a guitar solo here.

Anyone has the third Page version, with the supposed solo Keith copied?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 7, 2014 10:15

I wonder if anyone has heard this 2007 version by (former Deep Purple keyboardist) Jon Lord and the Hoochie Coochie Men. At the break, instead of a guitar solo, Lord provides a flourishing run on the Hammond organ (and featuring Jimmy Barnes on vocals).

From the album Danger: White Men Dancing

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 7, 2014 10:51

This One?

Date: April 7, 2014 10:57

runaway
This One?

I don't think so, as Page's solo here is different from Keith's...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 7, 2014 12:20

The version of Heart Of Stones that features Page, is the one found on Metamorphisis. Page's effort is as sloppy as hell, but quite tune with his style at the time. Keith's effort is almost a kind of cleaned-up take on what Page previously recorded. Keith's solo sounds a little more clinical and worked-out. Page's sounds off-the-cuff and made-up on the spot.

Date: April 7, 2014 12:25

Big Al
The version of Heart Of Stones that features Page, is the one found on Metamorphisis. Page's effort is as sloppy as hell, but quite tune with his style at the time. Keith's effort is almost a kind of cleaned-up take on what Page previously recorded. Keith's solo sounds a little more clinical and worked-out. Page's sounds off-the-cuff and made-up on the spot.

Exactly, and the intro of the solo is really what is similar about these two solos - except for Keith starting his intro on time, while Page waits half a bar...

Date: April 7, 2014 16:27

DandelionPowderman
Big Al

Exactly, and the intro of the solo is really what is similar about these two solos - except for Keith starting his intro on time, while Page waits half a bar...

But HM (now gone) stated that there is a 3rd version? He thought it was in the film "Charlie Is My Darling"? I have not seen it yet, does anyone have it? Maybe this 3rd version is a cleaned up version from the Metamorphisis version and then keith copied it!

If so:

Version 1 - Metamorphisis (sloppy lead by Page)
Version 2 - Clarlie is My Darling (clean lead by Page)
Version 3 - Stones version (clean lead By Keith - copied fron Version 2)

Date: April 7, 2014 16:34

2000 LYFH
DandelionPowderman
Big Al

But HM (now gone) stated that there is a 3rd version? He thought it was in the film "Charlie Is My Darling"? I have not seen it yet, does anyone have it? Maybe this 3rd version is a cleaned up version from the Metamorphisis version and then keith copied it!

If so:

I know, but isn't that the orchestra-version? And that one is without a guitar solo smiling smiley

Date: April 7, 2014 17:21

DandelionPowderman
2000 LYFH
DandelionPowderman
Big Al

If so:

I know, but isn't that the orchestra-version? And that one is without a guitar solo smiling smiley

Maybe the ALO version is Version 4?

-or-

Found this link: stone-relics thinks there is another (missing) version, but then vancouver says its the ALO version (could there be 2 ALO versions?)
[www.iorr.org]

Date: April 7, 2014 17:30

2000 LYFH
DandelionPowderman
2000 LYFH
DandelionPowderman
Big Al

If so:

-or-

Found this link: stone-relics thinks there is another (missing) version, but then vancouver says its the ALO version (could there be 2 ALO versions?)
[www.iorr.org]

The Metamorphosis-version is an ALO-version as well, no?

Date: April 7, 2014 17:54

DandelionPowderman
2000 LYFH
DandelionPowderman
2000 LYFH
DandelionPowderman
Big Al

If so:

-or-

[www.iorr.org]

I think so.

Anyway, this is what stone-relics wrote back in 2006:
<Anyone have this track in better quality? Its really an astonishing version...Dont know of it on Bootlegs. Its similar to the version on Metamorphosis, but is much longer and has an unbelievable guitar solo after the pedal steel solo.>

Could this be the missing version with the clean Page solo that Keith would copy?

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 7, 2014 18:09

2000 LYFH
DandelionPowderman
2000 LYFH
DandelionPowderman
2000 LYFH
DandelionPowderman
Big Al

If so:

-or-

[www.iorr.org]

I think so.

Anyway, this is what stone-relics wrote back in 2006:
<Anyone have this track in better quality? Its really an astonishing version...Dont know of it on Bootlegs. Its similar to the version on Metamorphosis, but is much longer and has an unbelievable guitar solo after the pedal steel solo.>

Could this be the missing version with the clean Page solo that Keith would copy?

I just listened to Heart of Stone "Metamorphosis" vinyl 3:46 and has a solo after the steel pedal, the same track is already posted here

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2005
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home