Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: OT: Jeff Beck and ZZ Top on tour August.
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 15, 2014 12:45

Glad you had a good time hairball & BF24! I sure enjoyed the Chateau Ste. Michelle show plenty. This was the 2nd time I've seen Jeff this year (w/Brian Wilson in Vegas in October, front row). The seats weren't quite that good this time but the company was the best.winking smiley I couldn't ante up for the soundcheck thing but sounds like it was cool. The first time I saw Beck was my 4th show ever in 1976 at the tender age of 15. He opened for Aerosmith in the Kingdome with the Jan Hammer Group. He came out & said "this place sucks! welcome to the Kingdome echo chamber" & proceeded to tear the house down. His encore was "Train Kept a Rollin'". After that, Aerosmith would've been better off staying in the dressing room. That show changed my musical outlook hugely forever. This show, I thought Jeff's gunslinger mentality came out during the ZZ encore. My friend is some younger than me & had never seen Beck. She has very good musical taste. She turned to me & said "I like ZZ & all but you know, its not even close". I would have to agree. I like Billy Gibbons ok but I thought Jeff blew him away. Happens to the best of them. Evidence, the youtube clips of Jeff with Clapton & Stevie Ray Vaughan. One final tidbit: During the first tour with Jennifer Batten (1999 I think), Jeff played the Western Washington State Fair. A very unusual booking for them. About once every 5 years they throw in a reallly cool act that you wouldn't really think of in that environment. Anyway, I got down there way early & was wandering around waiting for some friends to show up. Was walking by the grandstand area & heard Jeff starting soundcheck. Saw an open gate that wasn't attended & just walked in. It was like having my own private show with Jeff! I was kind of trying to be inconspicuous but Jeff saw me. He looked at me & gave me a "tsk, tsk" sign but didn't tell security. Was one of the highlights of a long road of rock & roll!smoking smiley PS: all this just my opinion. Respect everyone else's for sure! Like John Lennon said "whatever gets you through the night, its alright." smileys with beer

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 15, 2014 13:28

This clip isn't bad from the opener and the crowd and the band seem to be lovin' it. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: August 15, 2014 16:51

Nice thoughts crholmstrom - enjoyed your post. Good to see Jeff getting the deserved raves here. I was so surprised to hear a bunch of negative posts about him when he did Going Down with the Stones in London. I was like 'what is wrong with you people??' I woulda given my left --er, toe - to see Jeff with the Stones.

Date: August 15, 2014 17:07

DEmerson
Nice thoughts crholmstrom - enjoyed your post. Good to see Jeff getting the deserved raves here. I was so surprised to hear a bunch of negative posts about him when he did Going Down with the Stones in London. I was like 'what is wrong with you people??' I woulda given my left --er, toe - to see Jeff with the Stones.

I hear that about seeing Jeff with the Stones! Glad you liked my post. I'm all wired on steroids from some medical unpleasantness & up for 2-3 days. Writing gives me something to do. I quite enjoyed the vid on youtube of Jeff with the Stones. I remember reading awhile back an interview with Charlie talking about how much he enjoyed playing with Beck. I'm sure the jazz sensibility has something to do with it. I'd luv to hear tapes of when Jeff tried out (& left without notice, haha) with the Stones when Mick Taylor left. Could've been really interesting. Not putting Ronnie down in any way. I quite enjoy his playing (when sober or close to it). Cheers!smileys with beer

Date: August 15, 2014 17:20

crholmstrom
DEmerson

I hear that about seeing Jeff with the Stones! Glad you liked my post. I'm all wired on steroids from some medical unpleasantness & up for 2-3 days. Writing gives me something to do. I quite enjoyed the vid on youtube of Jeff with the Stones. I remember reading awhile back an interview with Charlie talking about how much he enjoyed playing with Beck. I'm sure the jazz sensibility has something to do with it. I'd luv to hear tapes of when Jeff tried out (& left without notice, haha) with the Stones when Mick Taylor left. Could've been really interesting. Not putting Ronnie down in any way. I quite enjoy his playing (when sober or close to it). Cheers!smileys with beer

Here's one of the tracks

Date: August 15, 2014 20:14

DandelionPowderman
crholmstrom
DEmerson

Here's one of the tracks

Thanks!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 15, 2014 23:36

DEmerson
Thanks for sharing that - very helpful hairball. Yes - I mentioned I got the T-shirt email awhile back. I'm a huge Jeff fan going way back so this is gonna be a real treat. So - no professional photos or audio Devices, but pics on the phone seem like that's ok?
Also - one last question. Guessing soundcheck must have finished up a little after 5:00, so did they make you (or let you) leave to then come back in later for the show? (Just wondering, so we can plan to grab some dinner nearby pre-show).

Picked up tickets at Will call at 3:45.
Met Karen at 4:00. Names were on list (didn't need to show tickets-just I.D.)and we were given VIP laminates.
She said come back at 5:00-ish for soundcheck. Didn't go anywhere, waited with everyone and soundcheck began apprx. 5:00.
After soundcheck, we were told to exit and re-enter when gates officially opened....about 15 minutes later at 6:00-ish.

I took pics w/little Sony camera...phones are also OK.
Some old timer was innocently filming soundcheck w/his phone and was told by Karen to stop.
My friend had his mini-recorder inconspicuously on his lap and recorded entire soundcheck...waiting for the bootleg!
My other friend Dan the man (you may know of him here on IORR) recorded the entire official show...

Date: August 16, 2014 00:47

thumbs up

Date: August 16, 2014 01:16

Thanks Hairball - again, very helpful info.! Boston show is not until Sept. 2nd and I'll be posting my thoughts here then.

Date: August 16, 2014 22:13

Nice,very recent interview with Jeff. Couple of Stones related comments in there. winking smiley

Jeff Beck recent interview.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-16 22:39 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 17, 2014 05:32

Jeff Beck performing 'A Day In The Life' live is something to behold, even though you can see him do it on the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame DVD set. The person I was with at the concert asked me why they hadn't heard of Jeff Beck and I told her simply that he didn't have any hit records, and doesn't sing. But as an artist he's outdone them all now. He's the only one in his 70s that you can say is still expanding as an artist. No, he can't pull a hit record out of his back pocket and get the crowd back on his side, but he doesn't have to. He just floors them with his expertise.

Beck played a number from his forthcoming album that has a middle eastern flavor. Stunning. And who else in the old crowd could credibly make Hendrix' 'Little Wing' fly? Clapton? Please. Beck, who was usually an afterthought, and who never seemed to seek stardom, is now a star. And I got to see the Beach Boys last year, and now ZZ Top! I hope someone comes up with another novel pairing for next year.

I kind of got that Taylor/Richards feeling watching Beck & Billy Gibbons duel the other night. Beck with his fluidity and Gibbons with his barb wire Texas blues. What a great rock and roll night. I haven't been rocked that hard since the No Security Tour.

Date: August 17, 2014 10:19

24FPS
Jeff Beck performing 'A Day In The Life' live is something to behold, even though you can see him do it on the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame DVD set. The person I was with at the concert asked me why they hadn't heard of Jeff Beck and I told her simply that he didn't have any hit records, and doesn't sing. But as an artist he's outdone them all now. He's the only one in his 70s that you can say is still expanding as an artist. No, he can't pull a hit record out of his back pocket and get the crowd back on his side, but he doesn't have to. He just floors them with his expertise.

Beck played a number from his forthcoming album that has a middle eastern flavor. Stunning. And who else in the old crowd could credibly make Hendrix' 'Little Wing' fly? Clapton? Please. Beck, who was usually an afterthought, and who never seemed to seek stardom, is now a star. And I got to see the Beach Boys last year, and now ZZ Top! I hope someone comes up with another novel pairing for next year.

I kind of got that Taylor/Richards feeling watching Beck & Billy Gibbons duel the other night. Beck with his fluidity and Gibbons with his barb wire Texas blues. What a great rock and roll night. I haven't been rocked that hard since the No Security Tour.

The middle eastern song is very interesting. I don't really need the pairings with Jeff. I saw a small theater show in 2010 that was pretty mindblowing. I'll go wherever he wants to take me. We're lucky he's still out there & seemingly enjoying it. There's a boot out there of a show from Sao Paulo Brazil in May. Worth searching for. A lot more JBG material & 3 Hendrix covers! Nuff said.smileys with beer

Date: August 17, 2014 14:46

Two cool dudes. smoking smiley

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: August 17, 2014 22:53

I believe I was dead a few months ago about ZZ only playing an hour + encores with Beck. Song selections with Beck too.

Date: August 17, 2014 23:09

So predictable are they ? Most bands are to a certain extent. Sounds like you don't really like the music of Jeff Beck and ZZ Top trainarollin, so why bother posting on this thread ? If you don't like them...............just stick to The Rolling Stones...............that is if you like their music. confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-18 12:54 by crawdaddy.

Date: August 18, 2014 15:24

Smokin' Billy is so laid back on this clip. smoking smiley

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 19, 2014 00:46

VIP package sounds awesome

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: August 19, 2014 00:49

Oh lawdy!!!

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: August 19, 2014 23:49

crawdaddy
Smokin' Billy is so laid back on this clip. smoking smiley

Lol, I say it again, that's Rock an Roll played by adults with a great sense of humor.. Hats off to JB & ZZ T!

Date: August 20, 2014 00:34

Agreed.
Great sense of humour, with great music played by great music makers. Can't get much better than that. >grinning smiley<

Date: August 20, 2014 12:05

Dunno if this has been released before and although years old,I love this rehearsal stuff.

Date: August 22, 2014 11:05

Jeff @ the Greek. Shhhh!

[turbobit.net]#

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 23, 2014 01:24

Just saw this show a coupla weeks back in Missoula, Montana at an outdoor park. Jeff Beck was amazing and fantastic as usual and ZZ Top kinda sucked. ZZ Top lost their appeal to me when they started in with their "Legs" style of music and when further away from their "Blue Jean Blues" raw style.

To see Jeff Beck perform for a bunch of cowboys in a small venue in the mountains of Montana......priceless. peace

Date: August 23, 2014 14:09

Just listened to a boot of Albuquerque on 8/19. "Superstition" has snuck onto Jeff's setlist. Wow!

[turbobit.net]

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: August 23, 2014 16:36

24FPS

Personally, I adore Clapton's version of Little Wing (albeit mainly perhaps because I heard the Derek and the Dominos recording before I heard the original) and I think he does it with a great deal of feeling and credibility. But you are absolutely right that Beck is the one guy from that generation who has continued to grow and develop as a guitarist and as a musician in general - you might argue that others have developed a certain maturity in their playing that comes with age, but they haven't carried on expanding the guitar's vocabulary as Beck has.

I also agree that the stylistic thing between Beck and Gibbons is very much like Taylor/Richards. Reminds me of this in particular:

Date: August 23, 2014 16:59

I agree. Both of those great double guitar acts are so good to watch and hear live.

I just wish we could get more of the great triple act with Richards/Taylor /Wood , when they are up there on stage as The Rolling Stones.
Not every song, but a few more than what we get now would be great. smoking smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 24, 2014 04:20

drbryant
Going to see Jeff Beck tonight in Tokyo. 5th Row, slighly off to the left side so I can watch his fingers fly across the frets.

His fretwork is somewhat eclipsed by his right hand work...hope you didn't miss that for some clues to his amazing technique and tone. peace

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 28, 2014 00:23

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
August 27, 2014

ZZ TOP AND JEFF BECK AT DTE ENERGY MUSIC THEATRE CANCELLED TONIGHT
TOUR BUS SLIP FORCES ZZ TOP TOUR SUSPENSION

> BUMMER!

"Tour dates affected by the suspension include all of the scheduled concert bills shared with Jeff Beck through September 13"

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. – ZZ Top and Jeff Beck have cancelled their performance tonight at DTE Energy Music Theatre due an injury suffered by ZZ Top bassist Dusty Hill. Per the tour, Hill slipped and fell on his hip while aboard his tour bus last night. As a result of Hill’s injury, which requires immediate attention, ZZ Top performance dates have been temporarily suspended while he recovers. Tour dates affected by the suspension include all of the scheduled concert bills shared with Jeff Beck through September 13, including tonight’s date at DTE Energy Music Theatre. Refunds are available at point of purchase.

In addition to receiving a refund at point of purchase, Palace Sports & Entertainment and DTE Energy Music Theatre is offering fans affected by tonight’s cancellation an invitation to one of two alternative shows this holiday weekend. Fans are invited to attend Queensryche at DTE Energy Music Theatre on Thursday, August 28 or the Oddball Comedy Festival on Friday, August 29. Tickets can be redeemed for either of these two shows by bringing refunded ZZ Top/Jeff Beck tickets to The Palace or DTE Energy Music Theatre Box Offices.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And.....

ZZ Top Cancel Tour With Jeff Beck Following Dusty Hill’s Injury
by Nick DeRiso August 27, 2014 5:30 PM

Read More: ZZ Top Cancel Tour With Jeff Beck Following Dusty Hill's Injury | [ultimateclassicrock.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-28 00:42 by Hairball.

Date: August 28, 2014 00:47

Oh ! Dear !!!! I feel so sorry for Dusty,the Bands,and all of the fans going to their gig tonight ,and the rest of the Tour. They were on a roll this tour and reviews were great. Get well soon Dusty.

Date: August 28, 2014 01:12

This SUCKS -had soundcheck tix for Jeff Tues in Boston, my best buddy was coming to town. Totally bummed!!

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1606
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home