Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: O/T Jeff Beck at The Bridgewater Hall, Manchester. Monday 19th May, 2014.
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 27, 2014 00:37

Look what Billy G. gave to Keith:

[instagram.com]

(how do you show Instagram pics on this forum?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-27 14:17 by Koen.

OT: ZZ Top
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 22, 2014 03:18

Tried to locate the original ZZ Top tour thread, but had no luck.
Anyways, here's some not-so-good news from their facebook page regarding the upcoming tour.
(Their official website is currently under reconstruction).

> ZZ Top

SURGERY PROMPTS DELAY IN START OF ZZ TOP TOUR

ZZ Top bassist Dusty Hill is slated to undergo surgery to remove two kidney stones this week, necessitating a delay in the start of the group’s US summer tour.
The kidney stones were discovered in the course of a routine physical examination where Hill’s doctor advised him that they should immediately be removed,
lest they cause more serious problems down the line.

ZZ Top dates affected include Morton, MN (July 25), West Bend, WI (July 26), Cincinnati (July 27), Louisville (July 29), Asheville, NC (July 30) and Bethlehem, PA (August 1).

It is expected that Hill will make a full recovery following two weeks of recuperation.
ZZ Top’s Tour is now set to launch on August 6 in Sturgis, SD with the band joining forces with Jeff Beck for a string of tour dates immediately thereafter.

Re: OT: ZZ Top
Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: July 22, 2014 06:14

ZZ and Beck would be awesome.

Re: OT: Jeff Beck and ZZ Top on tour August.
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 22, 2014 10:57

Hope Dusty makes a full recovery for the upcoming Tour. thumbs up

Looks like Jeff Beck is doing alright after his health problems and extra dates been announced.They gotta be fit and healthy, looking at the 27 gig schedule. One run of gigs is 5 consecutive nights. eye popping smiley

Jeff Beck and ZZ Top Tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-22 11:03 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 10, 2014 16:49

If you get a chance to see this tour, go! I saw the show last night & it was excellent. Short opening set by an acoustic player whose name is eluding me. Then the fireworks started. Jeff Beck came out & tore it up. Played about half hour of instrumental stuff then announced that he had a singer. Jimmy Hall came out & was really great. That guy has some pipes! "Morning Dew", "I'm Going Down", to name a few. The highlight was an awesome version of "A Change Is Gonna Come". Jeff played about 70 minutes. ZZ Top were good also. They played about 10 minutes longer than Jeff but Jeff came out for a 3 song encore with them. Billy Gibbons is a pretty good guitarist but Beck blew him away. They did "LaGrange", "Tush" & ended with a rousing version of "Jailhouse Rock". Really good show. Jeff Beck has lost nothing on guitar. My friend had never seen Jeff & she was totally blown away.smoking smiley

Date: August 10, 2014 17:49

I knew this tour would be something really special with the two great bands.

Thanks so much for the review. smileys with beer

Date: August 10, 2014 18:29

Nice...looking forward to Wednesday at Greek Theater in L.A.! thumbs up

mini-review from Missoulian newspaper:

> ZZ Top, Jeff Beck rock Missoula

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-10 18:38 by Hairball.

Date: August 10, 2014 23:05

wish i was going to this tour

Date: August 10, 2014 23:17

So do I. thumbs up

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 10, 2014 23:52

I forgot to mention Beck doing "Little Wing". The solo at the end was astonishing. The show being at a good winery probably has something to do with the slight memory lapse.grinning smiley

Date: August 11, 2014 01:12

thumbs up

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 11, 2014 14:57

Good to hear Beck is back in top shape, sounded like a pretty serious problem though.

Now let's keep an eye on Dime for these shows...nothing so far.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-11 14:57 by gotdablouse.

Date: August 12, 2014 03:33

A more thorough review: thumbs up

ZZ Top/Jeff Beck

ZZ Top and Jeff Beck Trade Licks, Cover Jimi Hendrix Twice on Opening Night
by Ultimate Classic Rock Staff August 11, 2014 9:20 AM

The pairing for one of this summer’s most anticipated tours may seem strange at first: the otherworldly, progressive playing of British guitar icon Jeff Beck and the hot sauce-infused, raunchy Texas boogie of ZZ Top. But as their co-headlining tour kicked off at the Osprey Field in Missoula, Montana Friday night, it quickly became clear to the audience that this was a superb — albeit unusual — pairing.

You’d be forgiven for wondering if this combination could work, even though both acts are guitar-based heavy hitters with a deep history in the blues. After all, over the years they have carved out very different niches under the ever-expanding classic rock umbrella. The constantly evolving extraterrestrial soundscapes that Beck has created in recent years are a far cry from the hot rod strut of ZZ Top, who seem far more interested in getting back to the blues-rock basics of their earlier years than playing with computers lately.

Beck took the stage dressed in black wielding a white telecaster, and launched immediately into his trademark expressive guitar licks as the band held down an exotic, dynamic groove. It was evident from the get-go why this man has built the legacy he has — Beck’s uncanny understanding of his instrument allows him to create a wide palette of sounds while using a minimum of effect pedals. Bird chirps, robotic bips and beeps and motorcycle noises poured out of his speakers and become part of the band’s sonic collage, bolstered by his unique phrasing and attention to detail. Simply put: Beck shreds.

Of course, he’s assembled quite the band to help him out with the task. In the middle of the third song, bassist Rhonda Smith tore into a very impressive bass solo, and second guitarist Nicolas Meier had plenty of opportunities to let loose throughout the set. While all this was happening, drummer Jonathan Joseph laid down dense, powerful beats. After a handful of instrumentals, the quartet brought vocalist Jimmy Hall of Wet Willie fame (he also sang on Beck’s 1985 Grammy award-winning album, ‘Flash’), and launched into ‘Morning Dew’ from Beck’s classic 1968 album, ‘Truth.’

The rest of Beck’s set was a mix of originals such as the recent ‘Why Give It Away’ (which featured some stellar blues harp playing from Hall) and ‘Going Down,’ along with some incredible covers. Beck made his guitar sound like a church organ for the gospel-tinged Sam Cooke cover ‘A Change is Gonna Come,’ and channeled Jimi Hendrix for a celestial rendition of ‘Little Wing.’ Following the set-closing cover of Taj Mahal’s ‘Diving Duck Blues’ the guitar legend expressed his gratitude to the cheering crowd, stating: “This is why I do this. Why else?”

Following a set break, the video screens onstage lit up with a spaghetti western-style introduction and the instantly-recognizable characters of ZZ Top appeared. The show started with the 1983 hit ‘Got Me Under Pressure,’ and the field of people in front of the stage kicked into dance party mode right away. ‘Waitin’ For the Bus’ turned into the slower, groovy blues burner ‘Jesus Just Left Chicago’ — just like it does on 1973?s immortal ‘Tres Hombres‘ — while guitarist Billy Gibbons shot out solos effortlessly. The group has certainly been known for grandiose stage gimmicks, but aside from the video screens that played continuously throughout the show, this concert was simply about good ol’ rock ‘n’ roll.

As the setting sun cast the ball field in a golden hue, ZZ Top churned through the more recent ‘I Gotsta Get Paid‘ with swagger to spare before treating the crowd to their own take on Hendrix with a smoky version of ‘Foxy Lady.’ The group then slid into the classic blues tune ‘Catfish Blues,’ giving Gibbons the chance to really step out and shine. Following the lead of a guitarist with the skill of Jeff Beck is no small feat, but Gibbons has a catalog of licks a mile long and plenty of style to boot, both of which he showed off as bandmates Dusty Hill and Frank Beard held down a steady rhythm.

‘My Head’s In Mississippi’ turned into ‘My Head’s In Montana’ to a cheering crowd reaction, Gibbons hit a home run with a fret-hand-only guitar solo during ‘Sharp Dressed Man’ and the trademark fuzzy guitars were busted out for the set closing ‘Legs.’ As promised in the pre-tour promotion, they re-emerged for an encore with Beck in tow, and it was everything you’d hope it would be, as he and Gibbons tossed incendiary licks back and forth throughout extended versions of ‘La Grange’ and ‘Tush.’ The ensemble left the stage again and came back out for a second encore; a spitfire version of the classic Elvis Presley tune ‘Jailhouse Rock.’ It was a perfect end to the evening, reminding the crowd that while they’ve since gone on to explore everything from roadhouse blues to robot noises, these two acts share a common language of rock and roll that goes all the way back to the genre’s earliest roots.

Written by Jed Nussbaum

Jeff Beck Setlist (partial):
‘Morning Dew’
‘Why Give it Away’
‘A Change is Gonna Come’
‘Little Wing’
‘Going Down’
‘Diving Duck Blues’
+ 6

ZZ Top Setlist:
‘Got Me Under Pressure’
‘Waitin’ For the Bus’
‘Jesus Just Left Chicago’
‘Gimme All Your Lovin’
‘Pincushion’
‘I Gotsta Get Paid’
‘Flyin’ High’
‘Foxy Lady’
‘Catfish Blues’
‘My Head’s in Mississippi’
‘Chartreuse’
‘Legs’

Encore (ZZ Top with Jeff Beck):
‘La Grange’
‘Tush’
‘Jailhouse Rock’

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-12 03:33 by Hairball.

Date: August 12, 2014 07:03

setlist seems pretty stock for zz top

Date: August 12, 2014 13:25

What a great opening night review. You guys going to the shows are in for a treat. Wish I was going.

Thanks for posting Hairball. smileys with beer

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: August 12, 2014 16:21

My prediction 4 months ago was pretty dead on. Standard same 75 minute ZZ set that they've been doing for 2-3 years (well, actually 10 years give or take 3 song swaps) and the encoure just being Jeff sitting in on the ZZ encores, nothing special rehersed. ZZ still feels that fans want to hear "Pincushion" every tour since 1994.

Date: August 12, 2014 18:05

What I find interesting regarding Beck's set is "second guitarist Nicolas Meier had plenty of opportunities to let loose throughout the set".

Second guitarist?

I've seen Jeff Beck multiple times throughout the years, yet there has never been another guitarist on stage with him during his main set.
Aside from a song or two during special guest appearance/encores/collaborations (The A.R.M.S. Benefit, SRV, etc), is a second guitarist necessary?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit: Oh yeah...just remembered that blonde haired gal on tour with him as second guitarist about 15 years ago.
I forget her name, but she could definitely play a mean guitar...but was she necessary?
I didn't think so at the time...it seemed to dilute things a bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-12 18:12 by Hairball.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: August 12, 2014 18:11

Re: Second guitarist?

This may well be the same guy he had with him when Jeff did the round of dates with Brian Wilson last year. He certainly does not 'duel' with Jeff, and the spotlight remains firmly on JB. The guy is quite good, and on some songs at the show I saw in Boston, he adds some nice acoustic guitar to a couple songs. Not to worry.

Can't wait for the Jeff/ZZ show in Boston in a few weeks!

Date: August 12, 2014 18:15

Thanks for that DEmerson...I will not worry!
I edited my above post as I did recall a 2nd guitarist with him back in '99 or so.

Date: August 12, 2014 18:17

Nicolas was on the latest Europe Tour and is Swiss I think.

Was right up close at the Royal Albert Hall gig and although out of the spotlight most of the time,he did add to the performance of the band. thumbs up

Date: August 12, 2014 18:42

Another stellar review from Chateau Ste. Michelle Winery, Washington show via NorthWest Music Scene Magazine .

> Jeff Beck/ZZ Top

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 12, 2014 20:46

Hairball
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit: Oh yeah...just remembered that blonde haired gal on tour with him as second guitarist about 15 years ago.
I forget her name, but she could definitely play a mean guitar...but was she necessary?
I didn't think so at the time...it seemed to dilute things a bit.

Jennifer Batten. Saw her with him at Roseland and I felt she added a nice touch and certainly held her own. {Edit} She also played with Michael Jackson for a bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-12 20:47 by bleedingman.

Date: August 12, 2014 22:23

Thanks Hairball for another great review. thumbs up

Haven't seen a bad, or even mediocre review ,and next best tour of the year ,after the Rolling Stones European Tour.

Wish I was at any one of those gigs in U.S.A. winking smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 14, 2014 19:54

Saw the tour last night in Los Angeles. Best rock show I've been to since...well, I can't remember. (And yes I saw the Stones last year). I'd never seen Billy Gibbons live, what a treat.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: August 14, 2014 21:59

Hairball

Encore (ZZ Top with Jeff Beck):
‘La Grange’
‘Tush’
‘Jailhouse Rock’

Jeff Beck fits in very naturally. R&R played by adults with sense of humor, I like it.thumbs up

Date: August 14, 2014 23:45

Amazing show!
Was fortunate to get the Jeff Beck VIP, and was treated to a 45 minute soundcheck with about 50 other people in an otherwise empty Greek Theater.
It was very casual, and Jeff chatted back and forth with us in between numbers. At one point he told his drummer to show us all what he's got,
and the guy blazed a hailstorm of machine gun-like fury on his set making everyone's jaws drop while Beck shook his head and laughed in disbelief and awe.
I'm not really into drum solo's by any means, but this was easily the best 30 second drum solo I've ever seen!

Some young whippersnapper named Tyler Bryant opened the show, and he played a very nice solo acoustic set tearing it up on slide.
While his guitar playing was on the mark, his vocals were kind of weak, but I suppose that can be expected for someone as young as he is.

As they always say: "Jeff keeps getting better and better", and after seeing him live numerous times throughout the years, the saying still holds true.
Every time I see him = blown away by his virtuosity, and as was mentioned previously by DEmerson and crawdaddy , the 2nd guitar player fit in well.

As for ZZ Top, have seen them several times since '83, the most recent (prior to last night) at the House of Blues front row a couple years ago.
While that was a great show, last night they seemed better and tighter...perhaps fueled by having Jeff Beck in their presence.
Maybe they'll keep getting better and better as time marches on ala Jeff Beck!

If you get a chance, see this tour!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Nice article from yesterday morning's L.A. Times prior to the show:> Jeff Beck, ZZ Top

Review from last night's show via Daily Breeze:> Jeff Beck/ZZ Top

"Hendrix — who many still regard as the Mount Olympus of rock guitar — is long gone.
And while Clapton and Page are still around, most would agree that they have become watered-down versions of their former selves.

But Beck? He’s still wringing otherworldly sounds from his Fender Stratocaster,
taking the guitar to places it’s never been.

The British guitarist’s mercurial talents were on full display Wednesday night at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles".

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-15 00:47 by Hairball.

Date: August 15, 2014 01:48

Thanks for that write-up Hairball. I have the Beck VIP tix in Boston in a couple weeks and really looking forward to it, so was interested to read your comments. Did you get your 'swag' (poster, shirt etc) at the show or delivered yet? (I got an email about it several weeks ago, but have heard nothing else since.) Any other DEtails you'd care to share - I'm listening.

Date: August 15, 2014 02:41

No merch yet, but I read in Soundcheck info. email it will be sent after show (see below).
Did you get an email w/ link asking you for t-shirt size from Future Beat?
I got that right after I purchased ticket and put in my order.

Anyways, it will be icing on the cake and you are in for a HUGE treat with the soundcheck...it's like an intimate private show/rehearsal.

Also lots of nice Beck and ZZ Top t-shirts available at merch stands, but I held out and spent my money on beer! drinking smiley

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

merch email from Future Beat:
Dear Jeff Beck Fan,

Thank you for your Jeff Beck VIP soundcheck package purchase.
Below are important instructions for claiming your VIP package merchandise.
VIP merchandise package redemption code(s):

Please redeem your VIP merchandise package code(s) using these simple steps:
1. Please visit our merchandise redemption page: [redeem.future-beat.com]
2. Enter your first coupon code and click REDEEM NOW! (code can be entered using copy & paste).
3. Select your size from the dropdown menu and click ADD TO CART.
4. If you have additional coupon codes to redeem, please click REDEEM MORE and then repeat steps 2 & 3. If you do not have additional codes, please click CHECKOUT NOW.
5. Enter your shipping details and then click PLACE ORDER to complete the redemption. **Please be sure to double-check your shipping/address details for accuracy before submitting the order.

YOUR VIP MERCHANDISE REDEMPTION IS NOW COMPLETE!

A merchandise redemption order confirmation will be sent via email. Please keep the confirmation details and order number handy until you have received your package items.

VIP merchandise items will be shipped, please note that items may arrive after show date.

VIP details will be emailed prior to show date.

Thank you for your order.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions: info@future-beat.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soundcheck info. email:

Dear Jeff Beck Fan,

Thank you for your Jeff Beck soundcheck package purchase.

Below are important details regarding your package.

SOUNDCHECK - TIME & PLACE
The Jeff Beck soundcheck will take place prior to door times.
Please meet Jeff Beck's VIP coordinator, Karen, in front of the venue box office at 4:00PM
Please bring proper photo ID (drivers license, passport, school or state ID).
Karen will distribute your soundcheck VIP laminate at this time and escort you into the venue for the soundcheck.

PLEASE ARRIVE ON TIME
soundcheck will start shortly after meeting time, if you arrive late you will miss it; no refunds

* If you purchased this package as a gift for someone else, please have your guest bring a note with photocopy of your ID (with package order/confirmation number).
The note should explain who purchased the package and who it was transferred to.

VIP MERCHANDISE
Your exclusive VIP merchandise items will be shipped to you. Items will arrive after the show and are not required for entry.
Ticketmaster sent you an email with merchandise redemption details asking you to confirm your shirt size and shipping address.
If you did not receive this email, please reach out to info@future-beat.com and let us know.

TICKETS
Concert tickets were distributed by the ticketing company you purchased them from.
If you have any issues regarding your ticket, please visit the venue box office and they will assist you.

CUSTOMER SERVICE
If you have ANY questions/concerns regarding your package, please email: INFO@FUTURE-BEAT.COM
Please also follow us on Twitter for updated VIP information regarding your package:
@Future_Beat
[twitter.com]

VIP SOUNDCHECK RULES
PLEASE BE AWARE OF THE FOLLOWING VIP RULES PRIOR TO ATTENDING THE SOUNDCHECK
We want everyone to have fun, but there are a few rules that you must abide for the safety of yourselves.

PLEASE ARRIVE ON TIME
NO PROFESSIONAL CAMERAS
NO AUDIO RECORDINGS OF ANY KIND
NO ALCOHOL
ABSOLUTELY NO SMOKING
ABSOLUTELY NO AGGRESSIVE BEHAVIOR WILL BE TOLERATED.

Please note - Jeff Beck, Jeff Beck management, Future Beat and those persons and entities acting at the direction of or on behalf of Jeff Beck reserve the right to deny admission to the soundcheck for any behavior the [artist or management] deems inappropriate, including, but not limited to: creating a disturbance, harassment, rudeness to the artist or staff, taking professional photos or using a recording device, being a nuisance to other patrons or staff and/or any aggressive behavior or language directed to the artist or staff. Any such behavior will not be tolerated, and if you engage in any of the foregoing , you will be removed from the soundcheck and issued a refund for this element of the package price.

THANK YOU!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-15 02:43 by Hairball.

Date: August 15, 2014 03:45

Thanks for sharing that - very helpful hairball. Yes - I mentioned I got the T-shirt email awhile back. I'm a huge Jeff fan going way back so this is gonna be a real treat. So - no professional photos or audio Devices, but pics on the phone seem like that's ok?
Also - one last question. Guessing soundcheck must have finished up a little after 5:00, so did they make you (or let you) leave to then come back in later for the show? (Just wondering, so we can plan to grab some dinner nearby pre-show).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-15 16:47 by DEmerson.

Date: August 15, 2014 07:38

Thanks Hairball,24FPS and DEmerson for the review and thoughts on the soundcheck and gigs.
Seen his London show back in May and that was great, but this Tour with ZZ Top is something really special and is getting rave reviews. Would love to see it here in Europe, but as with the Jeff Beck/ Beach Boys tour is not very likely.

It's great to read the reviews and hopefully will get more youtube clips coming up. smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-15 08:01 by crawdaddy.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1464
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home