Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
She Said Yeah
Posted by: frtg55 ()
Date: March 30, 2014 00:29

She Said Yeah, 1965 (Sonny Christy/Roddy Jackson)

This number is totally underrated!

Because it's so short?

What an energy ... for a song in 1965!

It's fantastic early garage/punk - rough and powerful!

Re: She Said Yeah
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: March 30, 2014 00:31

weird Little number....

Posted by: NEWMAN ()
Date: March 30, 2014 00:33

Great

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 30, 2014 00:38

Check my Top 25. I love this @#$%& song. Because its short I can put it on at any time and rev myself up. Total balls to the wall garage rock here. I applaud Scorsese for using it in that commercial. Now there's @#$%& Stones fan!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 30, 2014 00:45

NEWMAN
Great

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 30, 2014 00:46

I was always happy too when She Said YEAH.
Perfect track for the time.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 30, 2014 01:18

Great little punk song They Said Yeah..........grinning smiley

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 30, 2014 01:18

Great song - better than any other "Beatles bullshit song".

Had they just used this song instead of "I wanna be your man" - the Beatles blah, blah song.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 30, 2014 01:59

PAUL McCARTNEY on including `She Said Yeah' on his album RUN DEVIL RUN: "It's a Larry Williams song and it is my favourite of his songs. He did some other good stuff like `Bony Moronie' but this was always a song I loved and wanted to get around to doing. I remember turning Mick Jagger onto it and I think the Stones did a version of it. There were two songs I turned Mick onto that the Stones have done. One was `She Said Yeah' and the other was `Ain't Too Proud To Beg.' Mick would deny it -- 'Wot? Never saw him, never met him' - but I distinctly remember having him up into a little music room and playing it to him. He loved it and he went and did it. We've messed around with the track a little bit, but it is sort of like my memory of the original."

from [abbeyrd.best.vwh.net]

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: March 30, 2014 03:12

Title5Take1
PAUL McCARTNEY on including `She Said Yeah' on his album RUN DEVIL RUN: "It's a Larry Williams song and it is my favourite of his songs. He did some other good stuff like `Bony Moronie' but this was always a song I loved and wanted to get around to doing. I remember turning Mick Jagger onto it and I think the Stones did a version of it. There were two songs I turned Mick onto that the Stones have done. One was `She Said Yeah' and the other was `Ain't Too Proud To Beg.' Mick would deny it -- 'Wot? Never saw him, never met him' - but I distinctly remember having him up into a little music room and playing it to him. He loved it and he went and did it. We've messed around with the track a little bit, but it is sort of like my memory of the original."

from [abbeyrd.best.vwh.net]

From the otherwise brilliant album Run Devil Run, I find She Said Yeah the low point of that album. Probably because of the great (youthful?) energy The Stones put in that song. It's that energy that Pauls version lacks.
But again, Run Devil Run is absolutely fantastic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-30 03:13 by BowieStone.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 30, 2014 03:35

....Larry Williams sure one bad boy .... don't forget ta
check out his hammering Slow Down ......... and believe me it doesn't

ROCKMAN

Date: March 30, 2014 04:16

One of my all time have Stone songs. Love it. I can't imagine them doing it live now - they wouldn't be able to play it so fast.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 30, 2014 05:10

The Stones really put their own hard-driving stamp on this one--so much so, that I often forget that it's a cover of an earlier, more straightforward mid-tempo rock track. It's the Stones on amphetamines--even in 1969, by which time their music tempo had slowed considerably, they wouldn't have played it with the same fury as they did in '65.

It was meant for those maniacal audiences of the mid-60s, but even the live version by the Stones shown in the clip below doesn't match the drive of the studio version included on December's Children--as if a singular moment of Stones energy were captured on record for just one time only.

Date: March 30, 2014 05:19

Roddy Jackson and Don Christy later known as Sonny Bono wrote it ...

[www.iorr.org]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 30, 2014 05:30

Directed by Martin Scorsese

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 30, 2014 06:09

The Animals did a nice version too..

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 30, 2014 09:41

It's a great little tune. I love how the Stones do it. One starts playing too fast and it just goes up in tempo. It's balls to the wall for sure.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 30, 2014 11:03

I recently made an early Stones mix cd for my friend's 13 year old daughter & put this song on by mistake. I was thinking "She Smiled Sweetly". Turned out to be a happy accident!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 30, 2014 11:20

crholmstrom
I recently made an early Stones mix cd for my friend's 13 year old daughter & put this song on by mistake. I was thinking "She Smiled Sweetly". Turned out to be a happy accident!

Easy mistake to make! grinning smiley

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: NEWMAN ()
Date: March 30, 2014 11:26

thumbs up
Come On
NEWMAN
Great

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 30, 2014 18:19

NEWMAN
thumbs up
Come On
NEWMAN
Great

NEWMAN!

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: March 30, 2014 19:01

There's this garage rock near-replica of the Stones' version from the Tracers.

I saw somewhere "released in 1966". But I'm also wondering if this was released before the Stones' version, and the Stones nicked it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 30, 2014 19:47

I guess what I like about the Stones version, and I think it's the definitive version, is that it is a punk song. So much energy, so frenetic.

Sounds completely different from the original and other covers IMHO.

Perhaps my favourite of all of their covers, certainly top 5.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: March 30, 2014 21:36

great keith richards solo

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 30, 2014 21:47

I think Larry Williams did it originally

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 30, 2014 22:57

The Stones take is absolutely frenetic and for me the best take of the song pure energy!! The Tracers version is not bad but it does not have the energy of the Stones version.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 31, 2014 02:54

The Animals version was recorded in 1964 (on their UK debut album), which is why it is truer to the original, whereas the Tracers were obviously doing the Stones version.

The wiki entry on Larry Williams fails to mention the version by the Undertakers, the Merseybeat band, featuring Brian Jones on saxophone, that Jackie Lomax started out with.

The Undertakers version of She Said Yeah appears on their CD compilation (track 10) The Undertakers Unearthed (Big Beat CDWIKD 163, 1996).

You can hear a short audio sample of their version by clicking on either the Windows Media or MP3 audio icon at: [www.grooves-inc.com]

Date: March 31, 2014 04:07

I think Larry Williams did it originally

Roddy Jackson penned it with Sonny Bono and did the original
demo which is available on Central Valley Fireball -- ACE Records CDCHD 1161

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 31, 2014 09:33

Another Yeah Yeah:

Recommended by:

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 31, 2014 10:22

Eels covering the Stones version - lo-fi video but I bet it was fun to be there:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1720
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home