Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: The return of the legendary Kate Bush - gigs in London this summer
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 27, 2014 15:07

I feel as if I must be the only person on the planet who doesn't get Kate Bush's voice or songs but I'm happy for devotees who got tickets to see a favourite performer, because that is something I definitely do get! Looking forward to the show reports from our experts on here.

Re: O.T. Kate Bush gigs in London.
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 27, 2014 15:35

Manofwealthandtaste
Silver Dagger
Going on Saturday with our own Mr Simon Nicholl so will report back. Can't wait. Saw her there in 79 and once again in 1982 at the Dominion Theatre.

Hey there Silver Dagger....can I question you on that 1982 Dominion Theatre statement? All the papers are saying that last night was "her first gig in 35 years since she last played, also at Hammersmith, in 1979". Was she appearing in a stage show, hence not classified as a concert at the Dominion?

She played a show with Pete Townshend, Mick Karn (Japan), Jethro Tull, Robert Plant and others - in her band that night also - in aid of ther Prince's Trust. Prince Charles was there. The song she played was Wedding List. I was in the photo pit taken photos for a local paper.

Then in 1987, I believe, she played a song for Secret Policeman's Ball.

So those were her last appearances.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 27, 2014 15:39

Beast
I feel as if I must be the only person on the planet who doesn't get Kate Bush's voice or songs but I'm happy for devotees who got tickets to see a favourite performer, because that is something I definitely do get! Looking forward to the show reports from our experts on here.

Great Post!

You're not the only one Beast for I'm right there with you on your entire post. My sister loved KB back when we were in our early teens but she never did anything for me. I will continue read this thread though, just to see and read the joy of the IORRians who are having fun at these shows. I DO understand that!

Hope ALL the fans have a great time at the shows they attend!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: August 27, 2014 15:40

Silver Dagger
Manofwealthandtaste
Silver Dagger
Going on Saturday with our own Mr Simon Nicholl so will report back. Can't wait. Saw her there in 79 and once again in 1982 at the Dominion Theatre.

Hey there Silver Dagger....can I question you on that 1982 Dominion Theatre statement? All the papers are saying that last night was "her first gig in 35 years since she last played, also at Hammersmith, in 1979". Was she appearing in a stage show, hence not classified as a concert at the Dominion?

She played a show with Pete Townshend, Mick Karn (Japan), Jethro Tull, Robert Plant and others - in her band that night also - in aid of ther Prince's Trust. Prince Charles was there. The song she played was Wedding List. I was in the photo pit taken photos for a local paper.

Cool, that must have been a fun night!

Date: August 27, 2014 16:01

It was. The top of her dress broke and I was the only photographer to capture her dress slipping off though sadly no flesh was shown.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Why is the video not appearing??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-27 16:03 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 27, 2014 16:02

I think she has got it spot on, when she does her gigs.
She puts out a message a week ago, to say she would like it,if people actually watched and listened to her show and not to use phones,cameras ,i-pads etc.
According to fans there, just about everyone did just that.

She starts the gig on time, at 7.45pm ,has an interval half way through, and apparently was on stage for nearly 3 hours.

Wouldn't it be great if all top bands did this. >grinning smiley<

Date: August 27, 2014 16:04

crawdaddy
I think she has got it spot on, when she does her gigs.
She puts out a message a week ago, to say she would like it,if people actually watched and listened to her show and not to use phones,cameras ,i-pads etc.
According to fans there, just about everyone did just that.

She starts the gig on time, at 7.45pm ,has an interval half way through, and apparently was on stage for nearly 3 hours.

Wouldn't it be great if all top bands did this. >grinning smiley<

It would be great for all mobile phone filming to be banned at gigs.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: August 27, 2014 20:28

I could be wrong, of course, but I think Kate Bush's "legend" only extends as far as the British Isles. I don't know anybody in America who cares for the gushiness, the silly clothes, or the pretentious videos. This is a British thing as far as I can tell. It’s like a singer from the Victorian era time-traveled to modern-day England and started a band using the members of a rural drama troop.

Date: August 27, 2014 21:20

Have a look at the videos of the fans before and after the gig. Loads from North America, Europe, S.E.Asia and Australia made a special journey to London for the show last night.

Multiply that for the 22 gigs and quite a lot of worldwide fans who want to see Kate Bush play live. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: August 28, 2014 10:31

Silver Dagger

Her last appearance was in 2002 in a guest appearance with David Gilmour performing Comfortably Numb.

Date: August 28, 2014 10:41

Silver Dagger
It was. The top of her dress broke and I was the only photographer to capture her dress slipping off though sadly no flesh was shown.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Why is the video not appearing??

Remove the "s" in "https" in your link, Mike.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: August 28, 2014 22:54

Silver Dagger

I'll be there on Saturday too. can't wait. Simon may not be able to take all his usual fantastic photos as kate has asked the audience not to, and apparently it is being enforced.

Date: August 29, 2014 00:57

Another thing I like that Kate has got sorted nicely ..................gigs are on a Friday and Saturday nights, best nights to go out.................and Tuesday and Wednesday night, which breaks up the week a bit and gives Kate and the Stage crew a rest now and then. Every week right up till beginning of October. smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-29 10:21 by crawdaddy.

Date: August 29, 2014 01:08

Pietro
I could be wrong, of course, but I think Kate Bush's "legend" only extends as far as the British Isles. I don't know anybody in America who cares for the gushiness, the silly clothes, or the pretentious videos. This is a British thing as far as I can tell. It’s like a singer from the Victorian era time-traveled to modern-day England and started a band using the members of a rural drama troop.

Huge in the rest of Europe as well.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 29, 2014 09:36

DandelionPowderman
Pietro

Germany love & adore here

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: August 29, 2014 10:14

Would love to go but I have already done two big gigs this year, something has got to give unfortunatelysmoking smiley

Date: August 29, 2014 18:01

There were reports that David Bowie was in the audience for the Tuesday show, but no photographic evidence. Anyone know if in fact he was in attendance?

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: August 29, 2014 20:01

DandelionPowderman
Pietro

I'm not sure being "huge" in the rest of Europe is an endorsement. In the United States, the annual Eurovision Song Contest is considered a great comedy show. The Rolling Stones looked westward for their musical inspiration (American blues, American rock, American country). They were smart.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 29, 2014 22:02

To be honest ,I don't think music fans in Europe give a damn about whether U.S.A. like our music or not.
Probably the same over here,for some of U.S.A. music and comedy . We all like differant things.
We all think in U.K. the Eurovision Song Contest is comedy and good entertainment. We don't take it seriously.

Fans of anyone or anything, can't say any music or artist is ' best', just because they like it. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: August 29, 2014 22:14

Pietro

As an American I agree. Her fame mystifies me..... You hear about her once a decade.

Read more: [www.dailymail.co.uk]
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 30, 2014 01:27

Pietro
I could be wrong, of course, but I think Kate Bush's "legend" only extends as far as the British Isles. I don't know anybody in America who cares for the gushiness, the silly clothes, or the pretentious videos.

Sophistication has always had a hard time crossing the Atlantic. Someone like Jimmy Page understood this a long time ago : he made sure Led Zep was as crass as primitive and as one-dimensional as possible to make the band successful in the US.
And it seems that filling the MSG is Ms Bush's least concern... winking smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 30, 2014 01:46

Love and best wishes for Kate from this side of the Atlantic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-01 20:09 by 71Tele.

Date: August 30, 2014 02:49

dcba
Pietro
I could be wrong, of course, but I think Kate Bush's "legend" only extends as far as the British Isles. I don't know anybody in America who cares for the gushiness, the silly clothes, or the pretentious videos.

Sophistication has always had a hard time crossing the Atlantic. Someone like Jimmy Page understood this a long time ago : he made sure Led Zep was as crass as primitive and as one-dimensional as possible to make the band successful in the US.
And it seems that filling the MSG is Ms Bush's least concern... winking smiley

Both of these shallow responses make me laugh. Kate has many fans 'across the pond'. She's as English as the queen and that's why we love her. Nothing like her over here. Unique and one of a kind. As for gushiness and silly clothes, guess you've never heard of Katy Perry. And "Led Zep was as crass as primitive and as one-dimensional as possible to make the band successful in the US". Really?

Date: August 30, 2014 11:15

Just had a look at setlist on Kates' 3 shows since Magic Tuesday and the same songs each gig.

After thinking about it,no real surprise because it is not just a concert ,it is a full theatrical show.

You won't see a changed setlist in Phantom of The Opera,Jersey Boys etc. but I still hope she may have Wuthering Heights, Babushka and other popular ones in there, as the run of shows progresses.

Hope Mike , Simon and letitloose have a great night tonight and I'm sure it's gonna be a show to remember. thumbs up smileys with beer thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-30 14:36 by crawdaddy.

Date: August 30, 2014 14:34

A nice front row review from Wednesday gig, and a review of Friday night show. thumbs up

Kate on Wednesday.

Kate on Friday.

Reviews Roundup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-31 13:48 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: August 30, 2014 19:46

I like almost everything she did,"50 Words For Snow" included. Any footage available?
Curious to see and hear some more.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: September 1, 2014 14:25

Hi Tony,

Over 24 hours on and I'm still trying to process the show, hah-hah!
First up, I was tremendously impressed with KB's voice: the so-called banshee-wail has pretty much gone and age has deepened it...not to Barry White-levels obviously...her care over the delivery is clear, by which I mean that she wants her words to be heard. Her arm gestures seemed to be designed to involve the entire audience and she certainly looked to all corners of The Apollo during several songs.

Speaking of the venue, it has really benefited from Eventim's money: it looks tremendous throughout and apparently Kate was concerned about staging her residency there because it was a bit of a kharzi! Perhaps I'm paraphrasing slightly but you get the drift...

There are several theatrical aspects to the show and a fair dose of special effects: basically her imagination has been allowed free reign, and it wasn't difficult to see where a fair chunk of the daft ticket price (£135 +) was spent. I enjoyed the sections when she was performing as a singer backed by her 'shit hot band' (her words) rather more than the set-pieces but believe me you couldn't take your eyes off the stage. It was bewildering invention at times.

I'm probably way-off here but what I took away from the show was a couple of themes: how important family and humanity are to KB. I can't express it any clearer than that- I'd love to read or listen to her talk about her intentions but that's probably unlikely.

Such is the level of goodwill if not love for her that the entire audience respected her wish for no photos or video being shot. And that included Muggins here...at least until the last 20 seconds or so! Sorry Kate, hah-hah! Thanks to Greg for sorting the tickets and also to Anya and Mike (Silver Dagger) for your excellent company!

Lily
Hounds of Love
Joanni
Top of the City
Running Up That Hill (A Deal with God)
King of the Mountain
The Ninth Wave
And Dream of Sheep
Under Ice
Waking the Witch
Watching You Without Me
Jig of Life
Hello Earth
The Morning Fog
A Sky of Honey
Prelude
Prologue
An Architect's Dream
The Painter's Link
Sunset
Aerial Tal
Somewhere in Between
Tawny Moon
Nocturn
Aerial
Encore:
Among Angels
(Kate solo at piano)
Cloudbusting

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 1, 2014 14:26

The 1st show was recorded by some chap in the audience and was posted at Dime : after 35 years (79-2014) the amazing VOICE is still there! smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-01 14:29 by dcba.

Date: September 1, 2014 15:38

Thanks Simon for the great review and pics ,and dcba for the info on Dime. smileys with beer

I guess it's one of those shows that is hard to make out at times.

It is not just a music gig, but a stage performance with a lot of people on stage,as well as the band from what I can make out from reviews.

Every review has fully praised Kates voice,which can't be bad.

Hoping to get to see one of her shows in the last week or two of her run,and always optimistic on getting a ticket.

I got F.O.S. for Stones in Madrid unexpectedly ,a few days before the show, so hope my luck will continue. >grinning smiley<

Date: September 1, 2014 15:57

crawdaddy
Just had a look at setlist on Kates' 3 shows since Magic Tuesday and the same songs each gig.

After thinking about it,no real surprise because it is not just a concert ,it is a full theatrical show.

You won't see a changed setlist in Phantom of The Opera,Jersey Boys etc. but I still hope she may have Wuthering Heights, Babushka and other popular ones in there, as the run of shows progresses.

Hope Mike , Simon and letitloose have a great night tonight and I'm sure it's gonna be a show to remember. thumbs up smileys with beer thumbs up

Thanks Tony. The show was stunning but it really is more a theatrical production than a gig. From the moment she led her merry troupe of players dancing onto the stage like a female Pied Piper you knew that it was going to be something special.
The sets were so awesome you could easily get lost in them and completely forget that you were at Hammersmith Apollo. At times I was reminded of Pink Floyd - a 'helicopter' flying through the auditorium and a scene in a tiny room both reminded me of The Wall. There were two main concept pieces - The Ninth Wave and Skyful Of Honey. The latter was like an evocation of a summers dream.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2018
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home