Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Love for Little Feat?
Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: March 6, 2014 23:08

I love them.
And I prefer their first line up with Roy Estrada

have a look here!
[upjumpingthedevils.tumblr.com]

and here

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 6, 2014 23:13

Great band, and I love Lowell's solo album too.

Waiting For Columbus is a fantastic live album, with Mick Taylor on one track.

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: March 7, 2014 04:10

Saw them in London during the same time Ronnie Wood and Mick Taylor were playing there in late June 2012. At a small old hall that was recently renovated (beautiful hall!).

Boy, did they put on an awesome show. Crowd was really into it! Seen them many times throughout their career. They still put on a jamming show. A band that gets everybody on their feet and dancing.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: March 8, 2014 16:24

Great band. Lowell's early death was such a loss. He was nowhere near peaking.

I promoted a show when 4 surviving members toured as Barerre, Clayton, Gradney and Heyward in 1981 or 82. Super nice guys. But the band was clearly missing Lowell and Bill Payne, who I think kept things tight with his keyboard playing. The 4 remaining guys kind of meandered around, a bit lost without them.

Waiting for Columbus remains one of the great records of all time. Though it comes from an era where 'live' albums sometimes we more studio overdubs than live playing, they really could play with that tightness, precision, energy and clarity.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 8, 2014 17:41

Various people have mentioned it already, but here's the full-length video of Apolitical Blues with Taylor playing the solo (the album version does away with one of his solo choruses, I recall):

Lowell George also played the slide part on Giddy Up from Taylor's eponymous 1979 solo album, shortly before his death.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 8, 2014 19:06

latebloomer
Yeah, me too, Aqua. That box set sounds pretty tempting....

[www.amazon.com]

Another pretty good box:

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: March 8, 2014 19:08

Stoneburst
Various people have mentioned it already, but here's the full-length video of Apolitical Blues with Taylor playing the solo (the album version does away with one of his solo choruses, I recall):

Lowell George also played the slide part on Giddy Up from Taylor's eponymous 1979 solo album, shortly before his death.

Love it.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: March 8, 2014 19:26

Rockman: You are raised to the nth power - China sales unknown. Waiting for Columbus Live is excellent.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 8, 2014 19:35

Stoneburst, that Apolitical Blues is ace, thanks much.

shattered, I'm a member of the Big Foot tribe, but I still love Little Feat. grinning smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 8, 2014 23:25

Rockman: You are raised to the nth power - China sales unknown.

mmmmmmmmm strange 'cause mum has always told me that the Chinese love little feet

ROCKMAN

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 9, 2014 04:15

Another in your face tune!!! Love it!

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: March 9, 2014 07:43

Always likes Litte Feat, thanks for the thread, latebloomer! smileys with beer

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: August 26, 2014 05:35

Missed this great thread the first time around. Thanks latebloomer.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread how they periodically go on
Little Feat jags. I'm on one now, and found this full-length concert.

-swiss

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 26, 2014 06:54

Whoo Hoo Bloomer! Love doesn't even begin to describe my feelings for this band!

Their records never get old for me, I love them all.

The Last Record Album is particularly sweet. Although the Lowell George era was probably the best, they made some great records and definitely played a whole lot of fantastic shows since.

Billy Payne is a gem of a man and musician and is probably most responsible for keeping the band together post George. I have been fortunate enough to hang with this band a bit over the years and they have been some of the best times I can still remember.

Richie Hayward was my favorite drummer of all time (sorry Charlie) and I miss him very much. Although they recovered from Lowell's untimely death, I don't think the band will ever be the same without Richie. sad smiley

This is a fantastic German interview from YouTube in which Lowell talks about his slide playing and shows us a different version if the open G tuning which was key to his sound. It is different from Keith's tuning and a real blast to play slide on. peace

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-26 07:04 by Naturalust.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: August 26, 2014 10:22

Hot DAMN! Great German clip of Lowell George demoing playing like Ry Cooter, using open-g
tuning with a finger slide, etc., Naturalust! Whooeee--so soulful. So cool.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 26, 2014 14:44

Ahhh, nice to see the return of Little Feat. Thanks for the concert, Swiss and the German clip, Naturalust. I'll have some fun checking them out...shaping up to be a long week, so I was already planning on blasting some Stones this weekend, now I can add some Little Feat to the mix. smiling smiley

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: August 26, 2014 15:20

I saw them three times with Lowell. The first was in the front row of an old old theater with about fifty other people in 1975. The second was them blowing Dave Mason off stage when they opened for him in 1976. The best was '78 when they'd evolved into a well-oiled machine promoting "Waiting For Columbus."

The latter day incarnation is still a tremendous band but they seem to have faded away. The venues kept getting smaller and then Ritchie Hayward died. Haven't heard anything from them in several years, it seems.

Posted by: Des ()
Date: August 27, 2014 00:41

This may have been the most poiniant performance I have ever seen. I was there. As doctors beside me in the audiance suggested this burst of energy was going to be his last death bed exptression, one more time with the boys, and they were right, wow.

[www.theglobeandmail.com]

Was standing right about here for the show.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: August 27, 2014 19:35

arhcive.org has a bunch of Lowell era shows. the little feat archive folks are real easy to deal with.

I got no interest after Lowell died. too big a presence

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 23, 2018 10:34

Revisiting this as I recently bought a 5CD set of their first albums and been playing them in the car a lot. Good stuff and it struck me that sometimes GL sounds a bit like Mick and Don Covay ;-)

Hope LB's fine BTW, haven't seen her post for a while...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-23 10:35 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 23, 2018 12:41

I like them, even the Join The Band special guest album.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 23, 2018 18:24

Paul Barrere and Fred Tackett are performing tonight at Don the Beachcomber in Huntington Beach

[www-donthebeachcomber-com.seatengine.com]

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1716
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home