Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Tokyo favourite song poll - Silver Train
Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 4, 2014 07:05

I don't get the sudden clamor for Silver Train. When it was new, they dropped Silver Train from the setlist after a few shows on the 1973 Europe tour, and it has stayed dropped for 40 years. Are people so desperate for variety in the set list that they get hot and bothered that the Stones rehearsed a warmed over knockoff of All Down the Line with a weak opening riff? Personally, I'd rather hear All Down the Line with Mick Taylor. THAT would be something!

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 4, 2014 07:51

By your logic they never should have revisited CYHMK, since it stayed "dropped from the setlist" for over 30 years (presuming they did actually play it in 1971). Why attempt to douse others' enthusiasm to hear a song they've never seen performed on stage?

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: March 4, 2014 08:58

Glam Descendant
By your logic they never should have revisited CYHMK, since it stayed "dropped from the setlist" for over 30 years (presuming they did actually play it in 1971). Why attempt to douse others' enthusiasm to hear a song they've never seen performed on stage?
Here, here. Moonlight Mile and Sway both fall into this category(I'm hugely grateful to have seen them both), and frankly, YES, I am quite desperate to hear anything outside the normal setlist. I've come to a place of acceptance that it'll never be like the Dead or Bruce level of variety, but time is short and I'll take what we can get.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 4, 2014 09:18

ab
I don't get the sudden clamor for Silver Train. When it was new, they dropped Silver Train from the setlist after a few shows on the 1973 Europe tour, and it has stayed dropped for 40 years. Are people so desperate for variety in the set list that they get hot and bothered that the Stones rehearsed a warmed over knockoff of All Down the Line with a weak opening riff? Personally, I'd rather hear All Down the Line with Mick Taylor. THAT would be something!

Maybe people are getting spoiled. Setlist.fm shows that for the 41 dates for the "Goats Head Soup Tour" the Stones played a total of 19 different songs. For the 29 dates shown for the "50 and Counting Tour", they list a total of 66 different songs.

Date: March 4, 2014 10:35

drbryant
ab

Maybe people are getting spoiled. Setlist.fm shows that for the 41 dates for the "Goats Head Soup Tour" the Stones played a total of 19 different songs. For the 29 dates shown for the "50 and Counting Tour", they list a total of 66 different songs.

THAT is a very good point. People ARE getting spoiled. The Stones have never been the kind of band that could draw new songs out of the hat on every show.

The mostly praised 1981/82 tour didn't have many changes in the setlist after the first handful of shows.

Date: March 4, 2014 16:22

The different between Silver Train and Can't You Hear Me Knockin' is that the latter is a great song. Silver Train is an also-ran on a mediocre album.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 4, 2014 16:36

Wow, they did it! Hope everyone there enjoyed it. If they continue in this direction I will go to more than one show.smiling smiley

Date: March 4, 2014 20:29

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: March 4, 2014 20:36

ab

Just curious --- what are some other songs they've wasted their time playing?

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: March 4, 2014 22:30

Well, I hold my hands up and apologise to whoever I need to apologise to...I really didn;t believe that Silver Train would ever make it through the vote. I based my argument (as flawed as it was) on the notion that only fairly die hard Stones fans would even know the track and out of them maybe only half would actually like it, therefore in the year of our Lord 2014 it seemed unlikely that it would ever get more votes than some of the others on the list. But, bugger me with my mums mop, it made it!

I really hope it lived up to the expectations...personally I never really liked the song much and I can think of several others of GHS which would have been preferable. I can;t even say Taylors guitar playing on the original ever did it for me, but each to his own,and it's good that they have delved into more obscure songs and that in itself may open the doors to other gems.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 4, 2014 23:32

Thanks for the video. They didn't trainwreck it, so that's nice, but the song isn't fantastic. Kudos for playing it, but they should give Mick Taylor more and better material.

Date: March 5, 2014 07:15

fahthree
ab

Just curious --- what are some other songs they've wasted their time playing?

I'm just not a fan of Silver Train, or Goats Head Soup in general. I heard Johnny Winter's version of Silver Train during the summer before Goats Head Soup came out and never thought the Stones version measured up to Johnny Winter's version.

But since you asked for it, here's a quick incomplete list of stinkers from tours since '89 that have appeared occasionally to regularly in the setlist:

Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Angie
Ain't Too Proud to Beg
Memory Motel
Fool to Cry
Miss You (lame since '78)
Emotional Rescue
Little T & A (weak since '82)
Worried About You (not down with the falsetto)
Undercover
Terrifying
Rock and a Hard Place
Can't Be Seen
You Got Me Rockin'
Sparks Will Fly
I Go Wild
Anybody Seen My Baby
Don't Stop
Rain Fall Down
Streets of Love
One More Shot

If they want to dig up something from way back that they haven't done, let it be Let It Loose. Even if they made a mess of it, I'd give 'em props for trying.

Date: March 5, 2014 07:52

Oy!

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: March 5, 2014 08:22

Heartbreaker is a stinker? Memory Motel is a stinker? Worried About You? Really? Agree with most of the others, though.

I love Silver Train and think it's great that they dusted it off, of course. After watching the video I'd say that about half way through the song I was already sensing Mick thinking, "okay, we won't be doing this again." Just seems like it's too far outside his comfort zone. Sounded pretty cool, though, especially the guitars!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 5, 2014 09:21

ab
The different between Silver Train and Can't You Hear Me Knockin' is that the latter is a great song. Silver Train is an also-ran on a mediocre album.

It was only a mediocre album compared to the few that came before it. Compared to what came later it was freaking Sgt. Pepper.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 5, 2014 11:52

LieB
Thanks for the video. They didn't trainwreck it, so that's nice, but the song isn't fantastic. Kudos for playing it, but they should give Mick Taylor more and better material.

Exactly. .pretty boring song but well done for giving it a go.
I guess the band now have some limitations exactly what they can play. Plus their lack of rehearsals plays a part.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: March 5, 2014 14:00

71Tele

It was only a mediocre album compared to the few that came before it. Compared to what came later it was freaking Sgt. Pepper.

he he. ouch!

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: March 5, 2014 15:24

Always liked that nifty little rocker (thoughit might not be one of the classics). Perhaps they will also dust off 100 years ago which unfortunately they dropped after the first concerts of the '73 tour. I think it sounded great at the day in Vienna and Mannheim.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1589
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home