Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: 40th Anniversary of It's Only Rock' N Roll
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 30, 2014 02:13

i always liked both goats head soup and its only rock and roll about the same.

they dont jump out at you the way exile or sticky fingers do, but there is a lot of variety in both these albums.

its amazing to always hear that with these 2 albums the stones were in decline, if thats a decline lets have some more of it. after the big 4 the stones were always going to be in decline, yet they released another 4 albums in the 70,s alone and another 3 in the 80,s before they really hit a decline.

on its only rock and roll a lot of the songs grew on me in time

always dug if you cant rock me, and got to like luxury, time waits for no one, if you really want to be my friend, fingerprint file and short and curlies.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 30, 2014 02:31

It's the first record I bought.

....... WHAT!!! So did ya pinch the earlier ones LadyJane12????.... haaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 30, 2014 02:41

A record that made me realize how much I miss Jimmy Miller. The re-mastering by Bob Clearmountain in the 90's helped a bit......

Overall I thought GHS was a much much better collection of Stones songs. peace

Date: September 30, 2014 12:01

Naturalust
A record that made me realize how much I miss Jimmy Miller. The re-mastering by Bob Clearmountain in the 90's helped a bit......

Overall I thought GHS was a much much better collection of Stones songs. peace

Yeah, Jimmy would never have approved drums that sounded like someone punched a cardboard box. The mix is beyond insane at places as well.

Funny thing is that songs like FF and Short And Curlies sound excellent...

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 30, 2014 12:49

I like the album IORR infinitely more then Goats Head Soup.
Both song- & soundwise...

I don't dislike GHS, and I don't have a specific personal/ emotional bond with IORR ("first record I bought!" or something like that...);
I just think IORR is the (much) better album of the two -

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 30, 2014 14:47

I love the album. I really love it. It's not their best, it is underrated by fans and critics it evokes memories you normally dont get from listening to the Stones.

Date: September 30, 2014 15:09

I love all their albums, but for different reasons. It doesn't mean they're great, though. IORR has been a steady companion, and it never lets me down. But the sound is still ridiculous in places. I wonder if they mixed some tracks "poorly" to make the demo-feel of IORR the song less evident?

Is Charlie playing a full drum kit on Luxury at all? The production makes it hard to tell, imo smiling smiley

Posted by: Mikael ()
Date: October 1, 2014 16:48

GHS and IORR are the ones I listen to the most. Granted, somewhat rearranged, with some tracks left off and outtakes included, but nevertheless.

Now, if you haven´t already, then do yourself a favor and get the beautiful shm HR cutting, turquoise blue label version of IORR!

(IORR, Sticky Fingers, GHS and,surprisingly, Love You Live seem to benefit the most in this format.)

-Sounds way better than my old japanese vinyl, with Fingerprint File at correct speed and a slightly longer Time waits for no one.

And a beautiful vinyl replica sleeve to boot. But that´s just icing on the cake, of course.

This is a from a 2011 dsd flat transfer.

Rich and full of detail, I seriously doubt that IORR will ever sound better than this.

-But to be on the safe side I already pre ordered a budget SACD, same transfer, coming in a couple of months...

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: October 2, 2014 19:33

IORR and GHS are both fantastic

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1792
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home