Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: 40th Anniversary of It's Only Rock' N Roll
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 2, 2014 18:54

from a good journalist like you HB, I am honored. Thanks. Some grammar issues but was written in haste and passion.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: February 2, 2014 23:58

treaclefingers
I'm pretty sure I've heard that story the other way around, Jagger mentioned Peelaert and their cover to Bowie, and Bowie usurped the Stones with the Diamond Dogs cover.

Which is true?

I saw a TV interview with Bowie (Dick Cavett IIRC) in which he said "I nicked it from Mick Jagger."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-02 23:59 by blivet.

Date: February 3, 2014 00:05

donvis
A few questions. Does Mick Taylor play on the title track? Does Ron Wood play acoustic guitar on the title track? Does the rough demo version without Keith still exist?

Ronnie's acoustic guitar was kept on the released version.

Many good songs on the album. Too bad the sound and the mix ain't up to the same standard, imo.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 3, 2014 01:18

blivet
treaclefingers
I'm pretty sure I've heard that story the other way around, Jagger mentioned Peelaert and their cover to Bowie, and Bowie usurped the Stones with the Diamond Dogs cover.

Which is true?

I saw a TV interview with Bowie (Dick Cavett IIRC) in which he said "I nicked it from Mick Jagger."

Yes that is right I inverted the circumstances in my haste. Too many bongs and too long staring at the computer does have consequences. Sorry about that.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 3, 2014 01:46

69firebird
The album It's Only Rock 'N Roll was released 40 years ago. I was in high school,and bought it brand new.I think I bought it through The Record Club Of America,where you could get 5 records for $5 with no other commitments. At the time I thought it was much better than the previous Goats Head Soup.Now I like them both about the same. My favorite song off that album back then was If You Can't Rock ME,and still is now. Which album do you think is better,and should the Stones acknowledge this anniversary with a deluxe box set?

Why? Its a good but minor album in their back catalogue, didnt come from a session which produced a sizeable amount of releasable outtakes and is of no cultural significance.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: February 3, 2014 02:33

Fingerprint Files - worth the price of admission.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 3, 2014 02:44

Before Steel Wheels came out - I was saying that Only Rock N Roll had the worst album cover the Stones ever had - but now I think Steel Wheels, Flashpoint and Voodoo Lounge have the worst album covers, oh well - I think they should make deluxe box sets with Only Rock N Roll and Goats Head Soup, in fact I think they should release all the previously unreleased Stones outtakes.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 3, 2014 02:50

Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about the album cover? Great painting-esk with the Stones as the creme de la creme of the party.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 3, 2014 10:38

I love the album and I really enjoyed the review by whitem8 in this thread.

If IORR is a huge exhale then B&B is the inhale.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-03 10:45 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: February 3, 2014 10:44

seitan
Before Steel Wheels came out - I was saying that Only Rock N Roll had the worst album cover the Stones ever had - but now I think Steel Wheels, Flashpoint and Voodoo Lounge have the worst album covers, oh well - I think they should make deluxe box sets with Only Rock N Roll and Goats Head Soup, in fact I think they should release all the previously unreleased Stones outtakes.

You forgot the tacky B2B smiling smiley

Date: February 3, 2014 10:50

seitan

Those covers, they all sit on the ...far right of my shelf.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 3, 2014 13:51

whitem8
Toru, I also love that poster of yours! The size is beautiful. Where did you get it?

Everytime we bought a record, we usually got a big poster as a free gift in Japan.
The good old traditions!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 3, 2014 16:30

whitem8
A fantastic 70's album of rock n' roll, r and b, soul, gospel rock, funk, and blues... and sounds a lot better than GHS. The Glimmers do a damn fine job producing. Search out a good vinyl copy and hear it in its sonic glory. Opens with a subliminal archetype riff, with a heavily in sync rhythm section. Charlie's snare hits are rifle shots punctuating Bill's slap back bass.
... I love this album. It brings back great memories of discovering new Stones gems. And it is a great stoner album. Enough said.

I completely agree with your review, save that bass of If You Can't Rock Me is Keith, not Bill.

C

Date: February 3, 2014 16:41

I don't know if IORR SOUNDS better than GHS. Because of the "woollen sound on IORR, I'd say GHS is the better-sounding album, despite the criticism about its production:

Ballads:

Rockers:

Experimental/use of different instruments:

Posted by: MrHappy ()
Date: February 3, 2014 19:59

Liked it when it came out, thought it was infinitely better than Goat's Head Soup, now feel exactly the opposite. Soup holds up, especially stuff like "Winter" and "Star Star." Is it blasphemous to say I've never liked the song, "It's only Rock n Roll?"

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: February 3, 2014 20:10

Time waits for no one!! Simply sublimesmiling smiley) Love the album

John Nicholls

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 4, 2014 15:26

MrHappy
Liked it when it came out, thought it was infinitely better than Goat's Head Soup, now feel exactly the opposite. Soup holds up, especially stuff like "Winter" and "Star Star." Is it blasphemous to say I've never liked the song, "It's only Rock n Roll?"

No it isn't. I don't like it either. It's a throwaway song.

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: February 4, 2014 21:34

I think that this is mainly a Jagger/Taylor album.

Is their a Keith song on there?

Keith's sound is quite promoinent, more so than GHS maybe, but I think that he had less creative input on IORR than on GHS, where he had at least one stand-out track of his own.

(ps it was released in October)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-04 21:35 by Deluxtone.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 4, 2014 21:52

After a bit disappointed about Goat's Head Soup .. with It's Only Rock' N Roll they were back on track

Date: February 4, 2014 21:53

treaclefingers
whitem8
Just to clarify, Its Only Rock n' Roll isn't my favorite Stones album that I love beyond reason. It was one of my first Stone's albums, and it captivated me. It was strange, rocking, and layered. And not a lot of it was played on the radio at the time, so it was very fresh and exciting. I just like writing sometimes about these things and like to be creative, but yeah, I do like the album! Like I said, it was as if they wanted to revisit Exile, but were more refined, had a lot of years on the road influencing them. And some very interesting ideas floating around that seemed to try to recapture aspects of Exile. The cover too! Love it! A beautiful piece, and a great story how Jagger poached the idea from Bowie. Bowie famously says.. "done wear a new pair of shows around Jagger!"

Toru, I also love that poster of yours! The size is beautiful. Where did you get it?

Which is true?

Your version.

Mick mentioned to Bowie that they'd commissioned Peelaert to design their next album cover, so Bowie decided to do likewise.

Bowie beat them to it solely because his album came out in April 1974 a couple of months after it was recorded, whereas the Stones' album wasnt released until October.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: February 4, 2014 22:09

kleermaker
MrHappy

I have never been a big fan of the song Its only Rock n Roll......

However I think the live version on Love you Live is something else, and is absolutely fantastic........

Its how it should have been recorded originally IMHO

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 4, 2014 22:48

68to72
kleermaker
MrHappy

I have never been a big fan of the song Its only Rock n Roll......

However I think the live version on Love you Live is something else, and is absolutely fantastic........

Its how it should have been recorded originally IMHO

Agreed. The version on LYL seems to be totally out 'of order' compared to the other songs on that album. I mean the way it is recorded. Best song on LYL (which is not special, btw).

Posted by: bryanoakville ()
Date: February 5, 2014 23:11

mighty stork
bryanoakville
Very enjoyable album (GHS too). Highly suggest having a giggle - not too much - putting on some decent headphones, then both albums - one right after the other. Listen to the instruments fade in and out with a brief intro. then delay then swooping back in, swirlling around then to fade out , replaced by another round.
Wow (man winking smiley). Really fun. Really creative. Terrific production. Finally did this on a beach at Ocho Rios last year. So good I'm gonna do it again soon come.

So the ganja helped?

yamahn

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: February 6, 2014 00:16

Got it when it fist came out-- was in high school-- me & my pals were die hard Stones fans ( and Beatles too) and we wore that record out ! As I remember, Luxury and Fingerprint File were our favorites-- we dug the reggae and we loved the urban dread of fingerprint file--but we all dug Time Waits for No One as well !
we all wanted to be Keith because he was so cool----

40 years on, I still dig the record-- I think its aged pretty well ! Wish I did as well

Date: February 6, 2014 00:20

Studio version of the title track is a sort of accidental masterpiece for me. Especially the last couple of minutes. The timing seems slightly off which makes it sway magnificently in a way theyve never quite captured in a live setting (although there have been several concert versions which were very good in their own way)

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: February 6, 2014 01:20

Somewhat stronger than Goats Head Soup, perhaps better production?

A high point for me is 'Time Waits For No One' and the last gasp of great guitar work from Mick Taylor. Besides the title track, I think that's the stand out track of the album.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 29, 2014 11:55

by Steve Turner

by Jon Landau

John Lennon: It's Only Rock'N Roll-Lennon's sketch of Elvis on the stage in front of his fans.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 29, 2014 17:18

October 16...

I've always liked this album because it's a bit odd yet like the twin of GHS. It has a similar haze to it. The songs are a bit whacky, the acoustics sound great, yet the one ballad on it isn't nearly as sappy as Angie.

The title track has gotten very boring but that's no surprise.

If You Can't Rock Me, Luxury and Dance Little Sister are the obvious Keith songs on this record.

Stand out tracks are If You Can't Rock Me, Fingerprint, Time Waits For No One and If You Really Want To Be My Friend. Till The Next Goodbye could be a lot better if it was a bit shorter.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 29, 2014 17:25

Great great album!

Posted by: LadyJane12 ()
Date: September 29, 2014 19:28

It's the first record I bought.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2035
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home