Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: Mick Taylor - Exile on Main Street guitar contributions
Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: October 31, 2014 16:05

In 2012 Rolling Stone placed MT 30 something in its 100 greatest guitarists list. The commentary referred to his "brilliant" imitation of a harmonica in All Down the Line. Can't quite hear that myself-anybody else?

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: October 31, 2014 16:37

I never thought of it that way but, yeah I can kind of hear that.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 31, 2014 21:22

TonyMo
TravelinMan
Anyway, songs like Happy and Tumbling Dice would have benefited from Taylor's lead, especially if he was allowed to work out a part. Like Richards admitted: he, himself is not a lead guitarist. He sounds like Chuck Berry in slow motion. Don't get me wrong, he's one of the greatest rhythm guitar composers of all time, I think he should have stuck to that on this album.

This.

Just imagine what Mick Taylor could've done with Tumbling Dice -a flurry of triplets and trills then a trip up and back the pentatonic major in thirds followed by more trills and triplets. Heaven!! (did not Mick write 'Heaven' as a paean to what'Tumbling Dice' might have been had not Keith stuck his slow motion fingers in there?)

Wow. I find this . . . . surprising. The guitar break on Tumbling Dice is as great as any moment I can think of in the Stones' studio recordings. The guitar solo and the interplay with Taylor's bass are iconic. I can't imagine it any other way. "Slow motion fingers" doesn't make any sense to me; the solo is instantly memorable - ask any IORR member and I guarantee they can hum it.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 31, 2014 21:34

He was being sarcastic. I wasn't saying Taylor needed to take the solo, just that I would have liked to hear some fluid licks around the edges. My Chuck Berry comment was a little harsh. Honky Tonk Women is probably my favorite Richards solo, and I can hum it for sure!

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: November 2, 2014 17:42

I always found his solo on Shine A Light to be one of his best, the outtake solo is even better than the released version. I wonder if he has ever played it live with the Stones.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: November 2, 2014 17:53

I don't think they ever performed it live with Taylor. In 1995 they played it in Paradiso, Amsterdam.

Date: November 2, 2014 19:24

LuxuryStones
I don't think they ever performed it live with Taylor. In 1995 they played it in Paradiso, Amsterdam.

[/quot

Thanks LuxuryStones! I saw him play a bit of it on Jimmy Fallon that left me salivating for more. I really hope they let Taylor play a little more.

Date: November 2, 2014 19:47

Yep, beautiful approach, and a great band.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 2, 2014 22:13

ozziestone
In 2012 Rolling Stone placed MT 30 something in its 100 greatest guitarists list. The commentary referred to his "brilliant" imitation of a harmonica in All Down the Line. Can't quite hear that myself-anybody else?

Definitely far-fetched, but I can see the connection between his nasal slide lead in All Down the Line and, say, Mick Jagger's harmonica bursts in Silver Train.

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: November 3, 2014 00:18

I thought the lead in ADTL was a battle between Taylor on slide and Jagger on harp.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: November 3, 2014 00:40

bigmac7895
I thought the lead in ADTL was a battle between Taylor on slide and Jagger on harp.

It is, but the Rolling Stone comment is kind of redundant anyway since virtually all slide guitarists are heavily influenced by harp players and their sense of timing / phrasing.

Date: November 3, 2014 01:25

Stoneburst
bigmac7895

It is, but the Rolling Stone comment is kind of redundant anyway since virtually all slide guitarists are heavily influenced by harp players and their sense of timing / phrasing.

Listening to both Silver Train and Love in Vain Taylor's slide sounds just like the train whistle/horn. I guess both songs are about trains so it fits, brilliant use of the slide by MT.

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: November 3, 2014 04:49

Stoneburst
bigmac7895

Taylor has said that harp players are useful to listen to for ideas on how to use open tunings on guitar.

Date: November 3, 2014 06:14

smokeydusky
Taylor has said that harp players are useful to listen to for ideas on how to use open tunings on guitar.

Duane Allman thought that way as well, as does Jeff Beck (to name just two).

Date: November 3, 2014 21:51

This is another useful remark coming from Mick Taylor:

"...and also it’s good to forget about the regular bottleneck tunings sometimes and just put on a slide and see what you can do with a slide in regular tuning, and switch from one to the other. Because as soon as you put the guitar in an open tuning, you’re limiting yourself. But if you can just leave the guitar as it is, in regular tuning, and put on a slide, you can discover all sorts of things and get away from the regular kind of bottleneck clichés."

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 4, 2014 14:38

LuxuryStones

"...and also it’s good to forget about the regular bottleneck tunings sometimes and just put on a slide and see what you can do with a slide in regular tuning, and switch from one to the other. Because as soon as you put the guitar in an open tuning, you’re limiting yourself. But if you can just leave the guitar as it is, in regular tuning, and put on a slide, you can discover all sorts of things and get away from the regular kind of bottleneck clichés."

I agree with him. I also remember reading him saying he uses a fairly high string height, which makes it a little harder for normal playing but it facilitates his slide playing, so he can alternate between the two in the same regular tuning.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: November 4, 2014 15:51

LieB
LuxuryStones

I agree with him. I also remember reading him saying he uses a fairly high string height, which makes it a little harder for normal playing but it facilitates his slide playing, so he can alternate between the two in the same regular tuning.

I would think any musician/guitar player would do this. I don't Taylor is saying anything new or unknown to the handful of great guitarists out there.

Date: November 4, 2014 16:02

nightskyman
LieB
LuxuryStones

I would think any musician/guitar player would do this. I don't Taylor is saying anything new or unknown to the handful of great guitarists out there.

He's giving advice for beginning players, if I remember it well. And I have never seen a beginning guitarist playing a major scale with a slide, although this would have a tremendous impact on the accuracy and melodic variation. So from an educational point of view Taylor has a valid point here, even if he's not the only one.

Date: November 4, 2014 19:08

LuxuryStones
He's giving advice for beginning players, if I remember it well. And I have never seen a beginning guitarist playing a major scale with a slide, although this would have a tremendous impact on the accuracy and melodic variation. So from an educational point of view Taylor has a valid point here, even if he's not the only one.

Yes, it was from an interview on Gibson's website, if memory serves.

Taylor's approach to playing slide in standard tuning completely blew my mind when I first saw him live a couple of years ago - that show made me reapply myself to learning slide, and I haven't used an open tuning since. I always liked the idea of being able to work some slide playing into the middle of a song for stylistic contrast, rather than limited yourself to playing a specific open-tuned slide part throughout the song.

Also, much like Duane, I don't think Taylor sees slide and regular lead work as terribly distinct, more like two technical means to the same end. BB King was one of his earliest blues influences, so he no doubt knew that BB developed his signature bending and vibrato in an attempt to cop Bukka White's slide style without the use of a bottleneck. Likewise, I remember an interview with Jeremy Spencer from the old Fleetwood Mac, in which he says that a lot of his slide licks actually came from Albert King.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-04 19:10 by Stoneburst.

Posted by: banditpanda ()
Date: December 21, 2014 01:02

Hope this isn't too old to resurrect? I have learned to play Happy playing Keith's parts in open G but from live performances from the Taylor era I cannot figure out what Mick T is playing. In parts I hear him playing 3 chords repetitively which are not the major chords of the song.
Anybody have any in sight into that ?
Thanks in advance.
BP

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: December 21, 2014 04:30

I think maybe at this time Keith still had the ego and chops to think he could compete with Mick T. After all, Taylor hadn't been in the band that long and it had been all Keith for quite some time before he joined the band. Richards has never been the player Mick is though and before long after exile I think he gave up and the heroin took over. All possibly to do with the fact he wasn't the best guitar player in the band any longer and the world knew it?

Date: December 21, 2014 06:12

Any players out there that can help me with this?
B.P.

ote=banditpanda]
Hope this isn't too old to resurrect? I have learned to play Happy playing Keith's parts in open G but from live performances from the Taylor era I cannot figure out what Mick T is playing. In parts I hear him playing 3 chords repetitively which are not the major chords of the song.
Thanks in advance.
BP[/quote]

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 21, 2014 06:50

banditpanda
Any players out there that can help me with this?
B.P.

ote=banditpanda]
Thanks in advance.
BP
[/quote]

The below video is a pretty good place to start. Looks to me like he is just comping the same chords Keith is playing , albiet with different inversions up the next. Some good shots of his right hand work too.

It seems MT is just playing a B major chord (7th fret) then sliding up from the 9th to the 11th fret on the low E string for the three note lick (basically an E chord). For the chorus I think he is just playing E to Esus4. Looks to me like he is playing the exact 3 or 4 chords that are the foundation for the song, but unlike Keith, playing them in standard tuning.

Good luck.

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-21 06:53 by Naturalust.

Date: December 21, 2014 11:30

He played a different arrangement in 73 than in 72.

Date: December 21, 2014 12:57

His slide versions are more sparkling. Two rhythm guitars is too much imo.

Date: December 21, 2014 17:29

Thanks to you Naturalust. Will see what I can do based on your observations.
LuxuryStones : That would depend on what the 2 guitars are doing. No doubt use of the slide is definitely more sparkling.
B.P.

Date: December 21, 2014 18:05

They both played slides on Happy. Keith stopped playing slide on it as late as 1989.

Date: December 22, 2014 02:30

DandelionPowderman
They both played slides on Happy. Keith stopped playing slide on it as late as 1989.

Yup. Depending on which show / tour .

Posted by: Jayce ()
Date: December 22, 2014 21:02

JakeA
Here is the best instrumental version i found, Taylor`s guitar is much better audible than in final version.

Taylor plays on a left channel troughout the song ,starting from 00:5

IMO, This instrumental track just confirms something I have always thought: that despite its lyrical content, "Rock's Off" is the single most joyful music the Stones have ever committed to tape. What a track!

Date: December 22, 2014 22:11

JakeA
Here is the best instrumental version i found, Taylor`s guitar is much better audible than in final version.

Taylor plays on a left channel troughout the song ,starting from 00:5

I gave it a good listen and indeed, it could be Taylor. The groove reminds me of his
rhythm playing on HTW, MSG '69.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1771
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home