Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 9 of 12
Re: OT: Paul McCartney & Ringo Starr reunion
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 10, 2014 05:07

RollingFreak
I don't know how you couldn't smile during Ringo's portion.
Agreed, good ole Ringo. I liked it.... he was a lot better than other schlocks, who I would not / did not even comment about, so as not to be a nasty nelly, I will that to others.

Date: February 10, 2014 05:09

And check out at Barbara Bach out there dancing with her long long term hubby... good for those two smileys with beer

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 10, 2014 05:10

Ringo actually surprised me. I figured he'd suck but he did really really well. Great song choices and he even made Yellow Submarine work. Paul killing it, as he always does. One more from Paul, then two together to close out the night and this has been a very successful special.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 10, 2014 05:10

Yellow Submarine is the worst Beatles song and is always the low point of any Ringo concert. Matchbox (which I don't think I've ever seen him do) and Boys (which I've never seen him not do) were both very good.

Date: February 10, 2014 05:13

RollingFreak
Ringo actually surprised me. I figured he'd suck but he did really really well. Great song choices and he even made Yellow Submarine work. Paul killing it, as he always does. One more from Paul, then two together to close out the night and this has been a very successful special.
Yup McCartney is ON IT, he has not lost a step... Him and Jagger, setting the bar not getting old, at least not acting like it.

Date: February 10, 2014 05:15

Interestingly, when Sid Bernstein was trying to get the Beatles back together in the 1970s, he suggested that if they didn't want to perform together, maybe they could have a concert where they all performed individually, with their own bands. Kinda like this.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: February 10, 2014 05:17

tatters
Yellow Submarine is the worst Beatles song and is always the low point of any Ringo concert. .

Of course this isn't true.

Date: February 10, 2014 05:17

LOL, McCartney talking about tributing himself. grinning smiley

Date: February 10, 2014 05:19

Long John Stoner

I give you props once again for turning us on to that sound camera of that Chicago McCartney show a couple of year back... that was awesome.. thanks again.

Date: February 10, 2014 05:22

Ringo doing jumping jacks just like he does at the end of his own concerts. He is in very good shape for seventy-three, I have to admit.

Date: February 10, 2014 05:27

You have to wonder if they will ever be on stage together again. We might be seeing the very last vapor trails of the Beatles right now.

Date: February 10, 2014 05:28

That last part was fun... but... Stones still rule.

STONES!!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 10, 2014 05:29

This will certainly be the last big cultural celebration of the Beatles, as far as TV moments go.

The next time there will be big mass media regarding the Beatles will be when either Ringo or Paul passes.

Date: February 10, 2014 05:32

First live performance of Hey Jude with Ringo since The David Frost Show?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-10 05:35 by tatters.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 10, 2014 05:34

Love seeing Lenny Castro. This guy gets all the great gigs.

Date: February 10, 2014 05:43

I'm surprised they did Matchbox and Boys, since those aren't actually Beatles songs. Act Naturally and I Wanna Be Your Man would have been better, more appropriate choices.

There was nothing wrong with Yellow Submarine, since it is one of the Beatles' most popular numbers and is the song through which several generations of children are introduced to the music of the Beatles.

The only cringe-inducing moment was those panning shots of the "HIV Positive" shirt during Hey Jude. Bit of an unfortunate time warp culture clash there. Make Love Not AIDS? Nah, methinks not.

A little song trivia regarding With A Little Help From My Friends, in that Ringo actually had a hand in the lyrics. John and Paul originally wrote the opening lines as "What would you do if I sang out of key/Would you throw tomatoes at me?" But Ringo, remembering how fans used to throw jelly beans at the and in concert when it was revealed that jelly beans were among their favorite foods and not wanting to have tomatoes thrown at him should he ever have to sing the song in concert, had them change to "Would you stand up and walk out on me?"

Interesting, isn't it, that With A Little Help From My Friends didn't get banned by the BBC for "get high with a little help from my friends" the way Lucy in The Sky With Diamonds got banned for its initials and A Day In The Life got banned for Paul's line "Found my way upstairs and had a smoke". The censors must have been too high at the time to have noticed.

Date: February 10, 2014 05:47

tatters
First live performance of Hey Jude with Ringo since The David Frost Show?

No.

Date: February 10, 2014 05:50

Act Naturally isn't a Beatles song, either. Ringo is pretty much limited to the songs on which he sang lead, which is why he tends to perform the same songs on each of his concert tours. After a while, you go mainly to see whoever happens to be in his band that particular year. It's a good entertainment value. The tickets are relatively cheap, and you get to see some talented people you might not otherwise get to see.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: February 10, 2014 05:52

tatters
You have to wonder if they will ever be on stage together again. We might be seeing the very last vapor trails of the Beatles right now.

Don't be shocked when McCartney and Starr anounce their stadium tour...Half of the Beatles would still be the hottest ticket in show business.

Date: February 10, 2014 05:57

James Kirk
tatters

Don't be shocked when McCartney and Starr anounce their stadium tour...Half of the Beatles would still be the hottest ticket in show business.

I agree. Hotter than Page, Plant and Jones. Hotter than Waters, Gilmour and Mason. I'm sure the idea's been pitched to them many times, and probably will be again tomorrow, but it's just not going to happen, and neither will the two other tours I mentioned.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-10 05:59 by tatters.

Date: February 10, 2014 06:01

Oh, yes, forgot about Act Naturally. It was Buck Owens, wasn't it?

I should also mention that Paul was in relatively fine voice for this show--or perhaps I've just grown accustomed to the Macca of 50 years hence.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: February 10, 2014 06:13

Even Yoko was dancing. Sean looks like skinny John in the final photo of the boys standing in the field

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 10, 2014 06:15

I wanted to hate it, Stevie Wonder was great, Dave Grohl led the cast of Grammy nobodies but it changed when Ringo then Paul hit the stage. It's not just an illusion any Beatle is miles better. They both still are light hearted and masters of dynamics. Paul's range is astounding and Ringo can still hit even with help.. In another universe all 4 played tonight with a little help from Chuck Levell and they rocked...

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: February 10, 2014 06:19

stonehearted
This will certainly be the last big cultural celebration of the Beatles, as far as TV moments go.

The next time there will be big mass media regarding the Beatles will be when either Ringo or Paul passes.

Well, we still have the 50th anniversary of A Hard Day's Night, then of Candlestick Park, then Sgt. Pepper, then George stubbing his toe, then the break-up. And on to the 60th and so on. American broadcasters never miss an opportunity for this kind of nostalgia, and they will do everything (in)human to keep Paul and Ringo vertical until advertisers decree otherwise.

But seriously, most of our '60s rock heroes will be dead or incapacitated within the next 10-15 years, so now's the time to enjoy them.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 10, 2014 06:27

On west coast, so just starting show. Not reading spoilers above. Stevie Wonder was really good & "Something" was phenomenal. Dhani looks & sounds so much like his dad. Joe Walsh & Jeff Lynne were really good, too.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: February 10, 2014 08:34

WTH with Annie Lennox wearing a t-shirt that says "HIV POSITIVE"??? She shouldn't be drawing attention to herself. This night belonged to The Beatles and she should show deference. Who gives a crap about her issues? By the way, her rendition of Fool on the Hill was the low point of the show.

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: February 10, 2014 09:06

Fool on the Hill was fantastic for me. I thought her voice and phrasing were tremendous. I didn't see every performance, but I thought Imagine Dragons were aggressively bland and boring. I also can't see any reason to be hostile about the shirt. I'm sure Paul and Ringo were fine with it.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: February 10, 2014 09:25

shawnriffhard1
Fool on the Hill was fantastic for me. I thought her voice and phrasing were tremendous. I didn't see every performance, but I thought Imagine Dragons were aggressively bland and boring. I also can't see any reason to be hostile about the shirt. I'm sure Paul and Ringo were fine with it.

I respectfully disagree about Fool on the Hill, but that's the beauty of music! However, I think her shirt was simply out of place.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: February 10, 2014 09:55

Stevie Wonder sounded great. John Legend and Alicia Keys did a great job with Let it Be, but I think Alicia Keys would have been more spectacular on her own.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 10, 2014 09:58

stonehearted
<<an idiot comedian who thinks he's a rock star>>

Monty Python were treated like rock stars during their U.S. tours in their heyday, complete with women's undergarments being thrown onstage during performances.

Plus, George Harrison liked that idiot comedian along with the rest of his idiot cohorts enough to finance their Life of Brian movie.

The upcoming Python reunion at the O2 this year sold out in about 30 seconds. winking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 9 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1649
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home