Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Dirty Work: Tom Waits contribution
Posted by: TDive25 ()
Date: December 29, 2013 02:08

Hi,

are there any outakes from the Dirty Work sessions where Tom Waits is more audible then on the record?
I know he's on some of the songs (Shuffle & Sleep ?).

Re: Dirty Work: Tom Waits contribution
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 29, 2013 02:37

According to Keith, it appears that Harlem Shuffle was done in two takes, so it's unlikely there would be an outtakes. Keith also mentions that it was just the band in the studio at the time, that they were just "warming up with it" when Mick walked in and they laid down the track on the stop. It seems that Waits added his parts later--and with three other back-up singers as well, including the original writer of the song, it's unlikely that he would appear more prominently.

"I've been trying to get Harlem Shuffle on an album, without actually telling Mick, for 5 or 6 years. I thought that was a natural number for him to sing - it was made for him. I've been giving him cassettes with Harlem Shuffle stuffed in the middle somewhere for a long time, but I never got any real response. One night we were in the studio and Woody and I started plunking away at it. We were amazed at how simple the song was - about 2 chords. The band was just warming up on it, jamming, when Mick walked in and started singing. We realized, YEAH. And we did it in 2 takes. So it paid off eventually, though it cost me a fortune in cassettes."

--Keith Richards, 1986

There were, however, a couple of alternate mixes of the track.

The extended 12-inch "London" mix:

The extended 12-inch "New York" mix:

Sources differ, however, on whether Waits actually appeared on Sleep Tonight. Some list Chuck Leavell: [www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 29, 2013 02:51

....where's Dogwood ???...that'd be cool ta hear

Tom Waits Meets Jim Jarmusch...Straight No Chaser magazine October 1992

ROCKMAN

Date: December 29, 2013 02:53

Speaking of the "Time Is On Our Side" site, they also have a Dirty Work sessions collection listed with an early version of Harlem Shuffle: [www.timeisonourside.com]

The clip below features Dirty Work outtakes, and track number 3 (starts at 7:49) is an early version of Harlem Shuffle. It seems Waits can be heard more audibly in this version--particularly at 9:03 to 9:19 and again at 11:02 to 11:05.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 29, 2013 16:31

Wow... I have never heard much of this stuff. If there is any question of whether or not Mick still had 100%, listen to 19:00 - 20:00 and beyond. There are some great improvisational vocals there. Too bad this kind of thing did not make it onto that album, or any album after.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: December 29, 2013 18:01

I always thought Tom Waits sang on 'Sleep Tonight' with Keith-- especially the
"Close Your Eyes" lines in the song--- sounds a lot like him to me

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 29, 2013 21:36

Why would you want to hear more Tom Waits on a Stones song? I know some people like him, but it always seemed a bit of a put on really.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: December 29, 2013 22:01

I never thought Tom waits was a put on. as I get older I do see the pastiche in some of the earlier work. I find his music to be cinematic in its scope and as deeply affecting as a great movie. so is he an actor? Possibly. but I think he puts his heart into what he does. and the words he sings are his own.

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: December 29, 2013 22:18

Not sure how TW is a put on. To me, he is the greatest artist of his time. Since his first album in 1973, I don't think anyone has out paced him with the exception of Led Zeppelin. His songwriting has been incredibly satisfying to my ears, mind and soul equally.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 29, 2013 22:25

Tate
Wow... I have never heard much of this stuff. If there is any question of whether or not Mick still had 100%, listen to 19:00 - 20:00 and beyond. There are some great improvisational vocals there. Too bad this kind of thing did not make it onto that album, or any album after.

terrific aint it? I love those DW outtakes.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 29, 2013 22:50

stonehearted
"So it paid off eventually, though it cost me a fortune in cassettes."

Interesting to hear that detail. The most I'd read Keith say was, "It took five years and two takes get Mick to do Harlem Shuffle."

Posted by: FortuneTeller800 ()
Date: December 30, 2013 17:44

stonehearted
Speaking of the "Time Is On Our Side" site, they also have a Dirty Work sessions collection listed with an early version of Harlem Shuffle: [www.timeisonourside.com]

The clip below features Dirty Work outtakes, and track number 3 (starts at 7:49) is an early version of Harlem Shuffle. It seems Waits can be heard more audibly in this version--particularly at 9:03 to 9:19 and again at 11:02 to 11:05.

Yes, like others mentioned the outtakes are great. It's weird - how on weaker albums like DW, Steel Wheels or Voodoo the outtakes are so exciting. On the great albums the outtakes are not so good.
But I don't think that is Tom waits on this version of "Harlem" where stone hearted points out. Just IMO; but that sounds more like Bobby or Don.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 31, 2013 03:02

shawnriffhard1
Not sure how TW is a put on. To me, he is the greatest artist of his time. Since his first album in 1973, I don't think anyone has out paced him with the exception of Led Zeppelin. His songwriting has been incredibly satisfying to my ears, mind and soul equally.

To each his own. I know somebody who likes him. I can't get past his voice, which sounds like a shtick.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: December 31, 2013 03:08

shawnriffhard1

I've never felt let down by any of his albums, although The Black Rider came close.

I had the pleasure of seeing him in Edinburgh a few years back, and it made it into my top five best ever gigs. One word..... Charisma!

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: December 31, 2013 03:25

shawnriffhard1

I agree - I think Tom Waits is one of the greatest blues singers ever !!He has his own style - just like all the greats: Muddy, Howling Wolf, Billie Holiday, etc . ..Love Tom Waits !! Amazing artist.

Date: December 31, 2013 03:37

Yes, Tom Waits' voice is definitely an acquired taste, and there certainly is a place for it.

His voice reminds you of a smoky LA bar at two in the afternoon. And like that smoky afternoon barroom, the place won't be packed but those who are there will be loving it, for that special, unmistakable atmosphere they can't find anyplace else.

Date: December 31, 2013 14:09

A beautiful singer.
Some of his best vocals IMO are on 'Bone Machine'.
Ill never forget when I first got into "Swordfishtrombone". I lived that album for weeks.
The only time I have been let down by him is "Black Rider".
Other parts I had to give time. I couldn't get into his first 5 albums. I saw them as Billy Joel type crap. Until I realized I never even listened to any of them.
Had an issue with his late work: with "Alice", "Real Gone", "Mule" and "Blood Money". It was hi quality, but not moving. Moving, as in evolving; growth.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 31, 2013 18:13

...well put fortuneteller...on the dice ...don't totally agree but well put

ROCKMAN

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 31, 2013 19:05

FortuneTeller800
Had an issue with his late work: with "Alice", "Real Gone", "Mule" and "Blood Money". It was hi quality, but not moving. Moving, as in evolving; growth.

Of course it's not moving. It waits.
"Alice" is great. I love it.

Date: December 31, 2013 19:50

z
FortuneTeller800

Of course it's not moving. It waits.
"Alice" is great. I love it.

That was clever. I should have added that with the later work, I love it as much as any of his work. I just had to come at it from another angle. The lyrics to the song "Alice" alone are timeless.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: December 31, 2013 21:28

Alice is my favourite. A masterpiece

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: January 1, 2014 02:31

FortuneTeller800
I couldn't get into his first 5 albums. I saw them as Billy Joel type crap.

Wow, that's the first time I've heard that type of comparison-- not to Billy Joel in particular, but that type of pop music you're talking about. Closing Time is a pretty smooth record, but to lump it in w/BJoel just seems wrong.

Date: January 1, 2014 08:02

carlorossi
FortuneTeller800
I couldn't get into his first 5 albums. I saw them as Billy Joel type crap.

Wow, that's the first time I've heard that type of comparison-- not to Billy Joel in particular, but that type of pop music you're talking about. Closing Time is a pretty smooth record, but to lump it in w/BJoel just seems wrong.
Yes. And the statement served to show just how wrong I was. I was a big fan of TW, but had not given that early work a chance because I assumed it was...I dunno: I just HATE anything resembling "I am jut your lonely piano man....the piano's been drinking.."

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: January 1, 2014 08:10

FortuneTeller800
Yes. And the statement served to show just how wrong I was. I was a big fan of TW, but had not given that early work a chance because I assumed it was...I dunno: I just HATE anything resembling "I am jut your lonely piano man....the piano's been drinking.."

Sorry, I missed that you were speaking past tense. Glad you gave the early stuff a chance!

Posted by: Mule ()
Date: February 18, 2014 17:11

Waits discusses his contribution to "Harlem Shuffle" in this interview: [opensourcemusic.com]

Joel Selvin: I've heard for years that you worked on the Stone's record Dirty Work.

Tom Waits: Oh God, I didn't work on it. I was living in New York at the time and I was hanging around with Keith Richards and I just wound up at the session one night and ended up singing background vocals on "Harlem Shuffle". So it wasn't like I was working on the record, I just happened to be there. You know who else was there was Jimmy Cliff and he looked like he was about fourteen. I couldn't believe it, I said "somebody must have brought their kid here!"

Joel Selvin: So who else was singing backgrounds on that?

Tom Waits: I don't know who, but I know I was in a big circle with Jimmy Cliff and Mick Jagger, Keith and a bunch of other people. It was pretty wild, everybody lifting their voices to that song.

"Harlem Shuffle"

Tom Waits: It was really a lot of fun. It was going on at the same time I was there. It was exciting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1483
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home