Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Taylor talks - once more
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 5, 2013 21:25

Seems at the shows without special guests in America, Mick Taylor might get an extra song or two. You think because they are playing New Zealand where they probably won't have that "special guest" song slot that Taylor might get more of an outing?

I know, wishful thinking and back to square one in terms of ruining our chances. But I'm just saying that since that slot will be there, maybe it'll be filled by Taylor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-06 16:38 by bv.

Re: Think Taylor will be featured more in 2014 because places they are playing probably won't have special guests?
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 5, 2013 21:56

Bring in Taylor for 4 or 5 songs. No other guests, please.

Re: Think Taylor will be featured more in 2014 because places they are playing probably won't have special guests?
Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: December 5, 2013 22:21

If they invite Angus and Malcolm Young as guest, they will not need Mick Taylor on Australian Dates!

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: December 5, 2013 23:15

rogerriffin
If they invite Angus and Malcolm Young as guest, they will not need Mick Taylor on Australian Dates!

Angus Young lives in Aalten, Netherlands. Unless AC/DC are touring down under at the same time he probably won't be guesting. Wouldn't mind if he made the trip over though. Heck, just let MT rip on Love In Vain and Gimme Shelter and we'll call it more than a day.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 5, 2013 23:31

muffie
Heck, just let MT rip on Love In Vain and Gimme Shelter and we'll call it more than a day.
Yup. Its quite simple.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: December 5, 2013 23:34

muffie
Angus Young lives in Aalten, Netherlands. Unless AC/DC are touring down under at the same time he probably won't be guesting. Wouldn't mind if he made the trip over though. Heck, just let MT rip on Love In Vain and Gimme Shelter and we'll call it more than a day.

in 2003 AC/DC were not touring and they appear by surprise in Enmore Theatre...

Then after AC/DC were inducted to Hall Of Fame they arranged touring at same time in Germany, did Toronto and then Angus and Malcom played at last Twickenham show....

well, hope they bring us a new surprises...

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: December 6, 2013 01:09

Nicky Finn and Crowded House, Midnight Oil, INXS, Angus and Malcom, are all musicians/groups that have broken out from Down Under into a wider Market. They are not alone. There is a (mis) conception, and to quote a friend's text here, that down under is a "cultural wasteland." I might have agreed two years ago, it's just not true. The last time the Stones were in Shanghai, a Chinese Superstar was a guest, and while I doubt most people in the UK or USA even know his name even the show and DVD, he is a household name to over a billion people. After almost 2 years in NZ, I can attest that there are performers here that could walk the streets of London unknown that are locally quite adored. I realized while watching Ray Davies at Hyde Park last year how quintessentially British he was and how few people would flock to him in Places like Wellington who might know LOLA, who might remember a band named the Kinks, but no more. The reason I bring this up is two fold, the first is the automatic conception there will be no guest stars here. Maybe not, I have not heard it announced either way. Bruce Sprinsgsteen finishes about the same time the Stones hit the area, not a huge stretch to see paths crossing.People are already talking Angus and or Malcom. There is nothing that says the guest star twist of this last tour is dead.

The other reason I want to bring it up is to just say people should not be so ethnocentric. Most Americans would say, "Singapore, isn't that where they cane you?' and know nothing about one of the world's greatest resort centers and architectural wonders, the place the Stones are playing. Auckland is not NYC, Sydney is not London, and yet each has things to offer unique and charming. Perhap's ANtartica is a cultural wasteland, but travel opens eyes and minds.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 6, 2013 01:17

RollingFreak
Seems at the shows without special guests in America, Mick Taylor might get an extra song or two. You think because they are playing New Zealand where they probably won't have that "special guest" song slot that Taylor might get more of an outing?

I know, wishful thinking and back to square one in terms of ruining our chances. But I'm just saying that since that slot will be there, maybe it'll be filled by Taylor.

They didnt announce the special guests at the US shows until a few hours before the gig, usually.

It wasnt as if it was a gimmick to sell tickets. After all, no one in their right mind is going to suddenly think "f**k it, NOW I'm definitely going" and forking out $500 for a ticket once they hear Taylor Swift (or even someone good like Tom Waits) is going to come on for one song.

I dont tend to go to a show early enough for opening acts, but considering the dough they ask people to spend on a ticket, I thought it was a poor and quite cheap move to remove support acts from the current tour. Theyre grossing $5 million - what does it cost to finance the opening band? Maybe $25,000 - 50,000?

Would love to believe we'll get more Taylor than we did this year, but I think we'll be underwhelmed yet again at Jagger's insistence with keeping him in the wings for about 90% of a show which is heavily focussed around songs from the time he was IN the band.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-06 01:18 by Gazza.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 6, 2013 01:30

Gazza
RollingFreak

They didnt announce the special guests at the US shows until a few hours before the gig, usually.

It wasnt as if it was a gimmick to sell tickets. After all, no one in their right mind is going to suddenly think "f**k it, NOW I'm definitely going" and
forking out $500 for a ticket once they hear Taylor Swift (or even someone good like Tom Waits) is going to come on for one song.

I dont tend to go to a show early enough for opening acts, but considering the dough they ask people to spend on a ticket, I thought it was a poor and quite cheap move to remove support acts from the current tour. Theyre grossing $5 million - what does it cost to finance the opening band? Maybe $25,000 - 50,000?

Would love to believe we'll get more Taylor than we did this year, but I think we'll be underwhelmed yet again at Jagger's insistence with keeping him in the wings for about 90% of a show which is heavily focussed around songs from the time he was IN the band.

Very well spoken - I would like to see the Stones play Dance Little Sister Dance, Luxury or even TWFNO. These songs have always been overlooked such as many others. Introduction of these songs to the setlist could include MT. It has always seemed to me that the Stones only see the album IORR as the song itself.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 6, 2013 01:35

I was at Boston 2 where, mercifully, there weren't any such distractions as special guests, and still Taylor was only on for Midnight Rambler and the Satisfaction encore. The 50 & Counting formula insofar as it involves Taylor is pretty much set in Stones by now.

You never know, though. Just because they're playing Far East venues and there won't be any U.S.-based special guests, doesn't mean Jagger wouldn't be checking on what and who is big in that neck of the woods with the intention of pulling out some local favorites to please the crowd and score points with a younger generation of potential new fans. They have young people in that part of the world as well after all.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: December 6, 2013 01:46

I hope so. thumbs up

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 6, 2013 01:50

stonehearted
I was at Boston 2 where, mercifully, there weren't any such distractions as special guests, and still Taylor was only on for Midnight Rambler and the Satisfaction encore. The 50 & Counting formula insofar as it involves Taylor is pretty much set in Stones by now.

You never know, though. Just because they're playing Far East venues and there won't be any U.S.-based special guests, doesn't mean Jagger wouldn't be checking on what and who is big in that neck of the woods with the intention of pulling out some local favorites to please the crowd and score points with a younger generation of potential new fans. They have young people in that part of the world as well after all.

I was at the same concert. When the Whip comes Down & Memory Motel by default? leaves Taylor out. However, All down the line should have included MT. Especially this tour version where they extend the song.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 6, 2013 05:58

Play the whole goddamn Exile album in its entirety, and Sticky too, and bring back Bill freaking Wyman while they're at it. THAT would be a goddamn Rolling Stones show I would pay $800 to see.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: December 6, 2013 06:32

dream on tele

Date: December 6, 2013 12:24

It's time for the compilations. Play the entire "Heartbreakers - 19 love ballads" grinning smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 6, 2013 12:27

grinning smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 6, 2013 12:33

His Majesty
Leave Taylor at home and play the entire Their Satanic Majesties Request album. smoking smiley
They would have to get Bill Wyman for his fine songs.smoking smiley

Date: December 6, 2013 12:38

crholmstrom
His Majesty
Leave Taylor at home and play the entire Their Satanic Majesties Request album. smoking smiley
They would have to get Bill Wyman for his fine songs.smoking smiley

... and get Chuck a mellotron. grinning smiley

Date: December 6, 2013 12:45

Darryl can sing In Another Land smiling smiley

He did a lot of singing at the Trabendo, so we know he can sing thumbs up

Date: December 6, 2013 12:47

thumbs up

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 6, 2013 14:51

No, Jagger wont allow it.
Jeroen

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: December 6, 2013 15:45

Well, I certainly want more Taylor and totally forget about the special guests. But, I don't think that will happen. We won't know until we know you know? Just don't know about all the wranglings that go on behind the scene and, of course, Taylor's health factors in...although he looked well when he played with Ronnie.

My suggestions for a special guest in NZ would be the Hobbits.winking smiley They like to sing and dance. Remember the Stonehenge scene with the dwarves in the movie This is Spinal Tap (if you've seen the movie)...something like that! It was hilarious.
As a disclaimer, I'm not putting down Hobbits or dwarves...I'm just sayin'.

Re: Mick Taylor talks - once more
Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 6, 2013 16:40

This is like thread number 10 or 15 about Mick Taylor and the Stones. It will probably be merged into one the older threads on the same subject soon. FYI.

And then I see it takes just another 5 or 10 posts and we back on the same insulting and offending track where people start posting about persons not the case so I think we are pretty finished talking about Mick Taylor guest playing on stage with the Stones.

For those who missed out, there was a LONG thread about it this summer. Case closed.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-06 17:52 by bv.

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1690
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home