Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Countdown and Travelogue - The "14 On Fire" tour 2014
Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 28, 2013 23:57

In less than 3 months from now The Rolling Stones will be performing live on stage again. This will be my sort of personal blog and messages about The Rolling Stones 2014 Tour start.

Since the contract was a done deal, and the news started leaking out about rumoured shows, I have practically spent night and day sorting out all sorts of rumours from facts and valuable information. Many thanks to the hundreds of fans all over the world who shared their insight with me, so that I could work on the data and help all Stones fans knowing what is coming, making plans for what is soon to be happening during 2014, and to keep the excitement up.

The beginning
It all started Monday October 15, 2013. They announced London and USA one year ago. Then we had them rehearsing and clubbing in Paris, performing at the London O2, and then Brooklyn, MSG 121212, Newark. Two months that gave fans on two continents so many great moments.

The 2013 Tour
Then we had a one month's notice and another 18 or so shows in USA & Canada, plus Glastonbury, and finishing up with 2 x Hyde Park. It was another 2 1/2 months of Stones heaven for those who live in these areas, and for those who could travel.

Mountain climbing & sports
As some of you know, I started climbing, running and biking five years ago. Before that, Stones and work only. My body often asked me what I was doing, going from nothing into ten hours of extensive competing and training per week. I did improve on all my results year by yearly rate of 10% until spring 2013. Then everything went into a mess, and by late July 2013 my results was 20% down vs last year. It was a nightmare. I spent 7 minutes more on 10 km races, and I spent 18 minutes more on our major Skåla Opp uphill race in August, where I planned to get under my two hours mark of uphill running that race. It took all the way up to late October until I was back into the performance of last year. Lesson learned? Touring is not in the red zone. Running the streets of LA, Boston, San Jose, Philly, Chicago and so on will not keep the level at max. My climb #6 up to Kilimanjaro two weeks after the Newark shows Dec 2013 was the first sign, now I know I have to pay attention to the red zone every week if 2014 is top be a joy vs results.

Grandchildren
My 5th grandchild was born when I was on a flight to the Brooklyn show. It has been my destiny that most of my five grandchildren has been born while I have been on Stonses tour. I realize how important part of my life the Rolling Stones play, and I am so happy that they now have more breaks in the touring. My first three grandchildren hardly saw me during 2005 to 2007, which was a shame.

Europe
Many ask about shows in Europe. They had everything ready for Europe five months ago. Then a band meeting postponed everything. Now Europe is expected for the summer, but I do not expect any dates or announcements immediately. This is due to practical reasons. Patience. I know it is hard. Very hard. But if everything goes well then Europe will get a fair share of shows next summer.

South America
Then I get so many questions from fans in Mexico, Brazil, Argentina and other South American places. All I can say is they talked about shows for the spring. I have not seen any firm dates lately, but I know they want to be there if it is possible. Right now the focus is on the dates in Asia and Down Under.

What's next?
The announcement is expected to be on Tuesday December 3 Japanese time. They will have a kick-start in some of the most exciting markets around. I can hardly sleep these days.

More soon...

Bjornulf

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-02 01:10 by bv.

Re: Countdown to The Rolling Stones 2014 Tour start
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 29, 2013 00:05

You really are the greatest Rolling Stones fan in the world, BV.thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 29, 2013 00:10

Thank you, BV! Let's hope everybody can get satisfaction in 2014. thumbs up

Posted by: MoreFastNumbers ()
Date: November 29, 2013 00:11

Thanks! Long live The Rolling Stones!

and our IORR of course...smileys with beer

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: November 29, 2013 00:13

Thanks BV. Do you plan on attending the Australia and/or Far East shows?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 29, 2013 00:24

"This is due to practical reasons"

Any further explanation?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-29 06:09 by bv.

Date: November 29, 2013 00:38

jazzbass
Thanks BV. Do you plan on attending the Australia and/or Far East shows?

Yes.

Bjornulf

Date: November 29, 2013 00:41

mtaylor

Any further explanation?

No reason to announce more than one block of shows at the time. Less insurance cost, less contracts, less hazzle. Who wants to have a full year ahead booked up at age 70?

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-29 06:10 by bv.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 29, 2013 02:46

Thanks Bjornulf. Have a great time

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: November 29, 2013 03:17

Thank you!

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: November 29, 2013 03:43

Gracias Amigo

Posted by: erad ()
Date: November 29, 2013 04:39

Never thought I would ever get to see them again. I saw them at Western Springs in 2005 or whenever it was but I was only 15 at the time and wasn't familiar with most of their stuff.

Needless to say, I cannot wait. Springsteen and The Stones within a month? Yes please!

Posted by: novica ()
Date: November 29, 2013 09:26

thanks Bjornulf !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-29 09:28 by novica.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: November 29, 2013 09:42

Thanks, Bjornulf!
Looking forward to your blogging here.

Posted by: Stoneswolf ()
Date: November 29, 2013 10:05

bv
South America
Then I get so many questions from fans in Mexico, Brazil, Argentina and other South American places. All I can say is they talked about shows for the spring.

Hi Bjornulf,
thank you so much for all your information. I am a bit confused about the South American rumors: first there were talks about March 2014 (spring in the northern hemisphere but autumn in southern hemisphere), later there were rumors for SA at the end of 2014. So: refering to which spring were they talking about shows?
Thanks

Stoneswolf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-29 15:17 by Stoneswolf.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 29, 2013 10:17

I hope they will follow the same route as 1973.smiling smiley

Tour of Asia Pacific -> New Album -> Tour of Europe

Posted by: lickedlady1966 ()
Date: November 29, 2013 11:35

Björnulf, thanks for everything you do!
Be kind to your body, don´t increase your practising too fast.
I know what I´m talking about as I am doing marathons and triathlons.
Enjoy the next shows!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 29, 2013 12:45

Thanks BV, great.
Jeroen

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: November 29, 2013 14:04

A big thanks once again BV.

dont make the same mistake as me regarding your sports, do quality and not quantity excercises.thumbs up

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 29, 2013 14:24

Fifth granchild BV? But you don't look a day over 40.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: November 29, 2013 15:29

They need to come to USA!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 29, 2013 16:14

Thanks for sharing all this info bv and hope to see you again at a Stones show in Europe next summer. Since you mention 10ks, in the meantime I'll be running three 10k races (first one ever was in mid September) in December and plan to be racing 10k and Half-Marathons in the first half of 2014 to be in top shape for the Stones' shows ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-29 18:17 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: November 29, 2013 16:50

Thanks for all the info bv

Posted by: daytime ()
Date: November 29, 2013 19:06

Thanks BV fpr your hard work to inform us. I would love to go to Australia but cant though mind you if I did I have two ladies I can stay with in NSW..it's a thought.

Date: November 29, 2013 22:04

If you are looking for a budget way to do MANY MANY travels then all airliners have their "secret" tickets which they do not talk much about. They are taylor made for the backpack travel segment: "Around The World Tickets". I use one of these per tour.

They take you around the world and they cost less thana lot of singles tickets. One time I used one of these to get to Singapore then the rest of Asia. First probably the planet's longest single flight code: NZ1 from London via LAX then onwards to Auckland New Zealand It was 12h + 12h + 4 hours i.e. 30 hours with the 4h transit in LA, same plane. Starting on a Thursday, landing on a Saturday, Friday did not exist... Then I did a lot of the 2005 tour with a 38,860 miles totil ticket (top limit 39,000). It took me to many, many shows. They start at $3,500 upwards.

Basically the rule is fly around the globe within 12 months, never stay more than one time in any city, up to 16 cities, so long distance through this one then add up with budget local travel like Quantas inland Australia, Jet Blue USA and so on. Then go home with another ticket and jump back on the around the world ticket some months later. Takes some planning but you get flexibility. These tickets may be changed at any time, cost like $150 but you change only when they add a major leg to the tour, so buy it shortly before the tour is on, and change it when the next leg is fully announced.

All airliners do have these tickets, but they do not make any money on them, so they will not tell you unless you ask them. And don't ask any agents. Ak the airliner.

I will need one of these for 2014 of course. Eastbound probably.

Bjornulf

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: November 29, 2013 22:27

bv
mtaylor

Any further explanation?

No reason to announce more than one block of shows at the time. Less insurance cost, less contracts, less hazzle. Who wants to have a full year ahead booked up at age 70?

This makes sense, it would be crazy to make too long commitments at that age and it could be much harder to get the contracts made even if they themselves would be ready for it.

Maybe they should have made it this way even during the last world tour. Keith's accident was a lesson I guess...

Date: November 29, 2013 23:27

One more reason for contracting to a maximum of 20 or so shows at a time is the fact that the pure investment in one single Stones show these days is like USD 300 or so per ticket x 15,000 tickets = approx 4 million US dollars per show on average, which leads to 80 million dollar for one slot of 20 shows. And if they wanted to announce 100 shows, like they did in the 90's, it would be 400 million US dollars. Too much up front to handle.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 29, 2013 23:48

bv
If you are looking for a budget way to do MANY MANY travels then all airliners have their "secret" tickets which they do not talk much about. They are taylor made for the backpack travel segment: "Around The World Tickets". I use one of these per tour.

They take you around the world and they cost less thana lot of singles tickets. One time I used one of these to get to Singapore then the rest of Asia. First probably the planet's longest single flight code: NZ1 from London via LAX then onwards to Auckland New Zealand It was 12h + 12h + 4 hours i.e. 30 hours with the 4h transit in LA, same plane. Starting on a Thursday, landing on a Saturday, Friday did not exist... Then I did a lot of the 2005 tour with a 38,860 miles totil ticket (top limit 39,000). It took me to many, many shows. They start at $3,500 upwards.

Basically the rule is fly around the globe within 12 months, never stay more than one time in any city, up to 16 cities, so long distance through this one then add up with budget local travel like Quantas inland Australia, Jet Blue USA and so on. Then go home with another ticket and jump back on the around the world ticket some months later. Takes some planning but you get flexibility. These tickets may be changed at any time, cost like $150 but you change only when they add a major leg to the tour, so buy it shortly before the tour is on, and change it when the next leg is fully announced.

All airliners do have these tickets, but they do not make any money on them, so they will not tell you unless you ask them. And don't ask any agents. Ak the airliner.

Excellent information--many thanks for this! I travel a lot but had never heard of this before.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 30, 2013 00:11

Aquamarine
bv

Excellent information--many thanks for this! I travel a lot but had never heard of this before.

Happy holidays to all - I would like to make one suggestion. When purchasing airline tickets don't call the airline agents.

The best deals, which can save upward to a $1000 is via the the Internet even it is from the Airline Website of interest or any other services such as Travelocity, Priceline etc...

If you have a set plan and concert tix are in hand use the various Internet Services.

NEVER BUY AIRLINE TICKETS VIA THE COMPANY OVER THE THE TELEPHONE. Sales Ageants of LAN, AA, SW, ..etc.. will take your money. Later you learn there is No Refund or exchange when you knew could had a better deal.

Word to the wise

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 30, 2013 01:43

I always buy my tickets via the internet, but via the airline's site, where they're usually the same price or cheaper than on Expedia, Travelocity, etc. However, these tickets that bv is describing aren't available online, apparently, so folks would need to talk to an airline agent about them. And of course you should always make sure whether fares are refundable, but tickets are usually much cheaper when they're nonrefundable. Later you can usually pay about $150 to change the date or whatever, even if the ticket as a whole is nonrefundable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-30 01:44 by Aquamarine.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1766
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home