Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Track Talk: Pretty Beat Up
Posted by: René ()
Date: November 25, 2013 10:12

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Pretty Beat Up
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards / Ron Wood)

Pathé Marconi Studios (EMI Studios), Boulogne-Billancourt, Paris, France,
November 11 - December 17, 1982 and
The Hit Factory, New York City, New York, US, late June - August 1, 1983

Mick Jagger - lead vocals, backing vocals, electric guitar
Keith Richards - electric guitar, bass, backing vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - Yamaha electric piano, percussion
Ron Wood - electric guitar, backing vocals
Ian Stewart - piano, organ, percussion
David Sanborn - saxophone

Pretty beat up, pretty beat up

Yeah, since ya, since ya put me down
Yeah, since you left me lying around
Since you eighty-sixed me, yeah
Never re-stitched me
My face is a mess
Yeah, yeah, you should see my face
Yeah, it's a mess
You ought to see inside, in my heart
I'm marked for life
I'm marked for life
Pretty beat up, pretty beat up, pretty beat up, pretty beat up

Yeah, that’s right baby, pretty beat up
Pretty beat up

Yeah, I'm just like a battered, baby
Just left on the street
You ought to see the state, babe
I've been cut with a razor
Don't you cut me up, don't you cut me up, don't you cut me up, Lord, baby
Pretty beat up…

Produced by The Glimmer Twins & Chris Kimsey

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Undercover” LP
(Rolling Stones Records CUN 1654361) UK, November 7, 1983

Re: Track Talk: Pretty Beat Up
Posted by: marko ()
Date: November 25, 2013 10:14

Love it,one of their best grooves ever.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 25, 2013 10:21

Fantastic track, great groove, just raw and aggressive. Fantastic bass by Richards, and the best sax solo on a Stones record ever. One of the absolute best Stones tracks.

Mathijs

Date: November 25, 2013 10:40

Mathijs
Fantastic track, great groove, just raw and aggressive. Fantastic bass by Richards, and the best sax solo on a Stones record ever. One of the absolute best Stones tracks.

Mathijs

+1, well said!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 25, 2013 10:47

It was a filler -83 but now a classic Yes! Songs tends to be when times flies...
...and the sax solo on Brown Sugar is way better...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: November 25, 2013 10:59

Come On
It was a filler -83 but now a classic Yes! Songs tends to be when times flies...
...and the sax solo on Brown Sugar is way better...smoking smiley

I prefer "deep cut" winking smiley

It is indeed up there with Bobby's solo on BS, imo - so loose and funky.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: November 25, 2013 11:09

Love it. As I love the whole album.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 25, 2013 11:11

Undercover is a strange animal in the zoo of the Stones canon, more a hybrid thana pure solid breed (and therefore a mere curiosity) because it couldn't quite decide exactly what it wanted to be: an album by a dance/club/funk band, or an album of good-time back to basics rock n roll? When it tries to be the latter, it succeeds on all attempts (She Was Hot, All The Way Down, It Must Be Hell), but when it tries to succeed as the former, it misses about half the time, and one of those misses is the tuneless funk experiment Pretty Beat Up.

Keith indulging in his bass lines is unfortunate, because the overall groove suffers without the booming bottom that Wyman would have contributed: instead, Keith is noodling somewhere in the middle of the fretboard the way a guitarist would, especially in the last half minute of the track, playing notes higher in the register that leave the bottom almost completely untended and making it sound like only half a rhythm section.

There are three guitars, two pianos, one organ, and half a bass.

This track might have been better as a non-album B-side for later inclusion on a volume of rarities rather than a hit-and-miss follow-up to an album that everyone loved from start to finish. Because of misguided experiments like this, you can't get many Stones fans to agree on Undercover the way you can with Tattoo You.

Date: November 25, 2013 11:30

stonehearted
Undercover is a strange animal in the zoo of the Stones canon, more a hybrid thana pure solid breed (and therefore a mere curiosity) because it couldn't quite decide exactly what it wanted to be: an album by a dance/club/funk band, or an album of good-time back to basics rock n roll? When it tries to be the latter, it succeeds on all attempts (She Was Hot, All The Way Down, It Must Be Hell), but when it tries to succeed as the former, it misses about half the time, and one of those misses is the tuneless funk experiment Pretty Beat Up.

Keith indulging in his bass lines is unfortunate, because the overall groove suffers without the booming bottom that Wyman would have contributed: instead, Keith is noodling somewhere in the middle of the fretboard the way a guitarist would, especially in the last half minute of the track, playing notes higher in the register that leave the bottom almost completely untended and making it sound like only half a rhythm section.

I disagree strongly. He is indeed sparse, and pushes all the right buttons to make this one groove tremendously.

His stops, for instance, he would normally use when playing guitar as well. But it is sparse, and highlighting why he is such a different (and brilliant) rhythm player.

Compared to Ronnie, and other guitarists who play bass, Keith never went into the "noodling trap", as far as I can hear.

There are three guitars, two pianos, one organ, and half a bass.

This track might have been better as a non-album B-side for later inclusion on a volume of rarities rather than a hit-and-miss follow-up to an album that everyone loved from start to finish. Because of misguided experiments like this, you can't get many Stones fans to agree on Undercover the way you can with Tattoo You.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 25, 2013 11:48

Over-rated by UNDERCOVER lovers, under-rated by the rest... A typical UNDERCOVER number in that sense, right?

A great groove indeed, but unfortunataly nothing much else to remember about. For me it is a typical UNDERCOVER number, and a late Pathe Marconi number that the band is still damn hot as players and as an unit, but they are running out of inspiring ideas. Part of its charm is that is nothing but a jam based on a repition of a riff, but personally I can't help feeling that 'hey, something is missing - this does not go anywhere'. Jagger especially doesn't sound like working his ass to uplift the song sketch to more memorable levels. Sometimes that loose feeling works fine for them, but I am not sure if it does this time.

With "Hey Negrita" I think "Pretty Beat Up" also shows what Ron Wood is able to bring on the table creativity-wise. Not quite filling Jones's or Taylor's shoes in that sense in widering up their musical vocabulary, but I think the more to blame is the big boys - and especially the one with big lips - who not probably still aren't so inspired by 'little brother's' efforts.

But as the years go by, the essential 'groove' element in "Pretty Beat Up" shines brighter and brighter. They probably wouldn't sound ever in record again so natural and still adventurous and excited, even 'dangerous', so 'Stonesy', as they did here. It's the band, not the song.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-25 11:49 by Doxa.

Date: November 25, 2013 11:57

<nothing much else to remember about.>

I remember Mick's brilliant singing, the fantastic sax solo, excellent bass playing and a groove and an energy which they never have surpassed again.

Quite a lot, I'd say thumbs up

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 25, 2013 12:07

Doxa

With "Hey Negrita" I think "Pretty Beat Up" also shows what Ron Wood is able to bring on the table creativity-wise. Not quite filling Jones's or Taylor's shoes in that sense in widering up their musical vocabulary, but I think the more to blame is the big boys - and especially the one with big lips - who not probably still aren't so inspired by 'little brother's' efforts.

- Doxa

I think that Woody is the one that best responds being the guitarist that have mastered everything in guitar playing. Brian was a Multi-instrumentalist and Mick Taylor blues guitarist.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: November 25, 2013 12:12

A great track, it has a groove only the Stones can give you.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 25, 2013 12:20

Ok, so let's just pretend that Kimsey insisted to have a nice bridge or some other trick to resolve the tension creatated by the I - IV based groove.

What would we have? The umpteenth up tempo pop song. The heart of the song, Ronnie's hypnotic groove, would be a simple arrangement ...

Thank god nobody had such criminal idea. This drags you to the dance floor and instigates dirty dancing!

And the bass? Ok it's played by a guitarist. So what? The bass works!!!

C

Date: November 25, 2013 12:22

DandelionPowderman
<nothing much else to remember about.>

I remember Mick's brilliant singing, the fantastic sax solo, excellent bass playing and a groove and an energy which they never have surpassed again.

Quite a lot, I'd say thumbs up

I don't know if Jagger's vocals are a result of artistic choice or just lazyness (to me he sounds unfocused and tired), but for the rest I agree. Lots of great elements in it, but not enough to be more than a good UNDERCOVER filler song. Like I said, it's the band not the song. As a quintessential UNDERCOVER number, though, it has same qualities as some IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROll numbers, being not so inspired by the leading ideas they have made more memorable results just a bit earlier. A kind of artistic end of an era feel in it.

The energy level truely is phenomenal but I can't help that they are also sounding like hiding the lack of real artistic inspiration by just pulling more gas on it. Reminds me some of 1981/82 tour interpretations of their songs there.

- Doxa

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: November 25, 2013 12:30

A raucous, sweaty, super-funky jungle vamp that exudes violence and decay, and fits perfectly within all the other gory apocalyptic carnage on Undercover. Love that wailing sax solo, Mick's yelps of pain, Keith's rubbery bass, and those lyrics that nail how brutal and heartless a former lover can be. Great stuff, Ronnie.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-26 00:59 by drewmaster.

Date: November 25, 2013 12:34

<he sounds unfocused and tired>

Tired???????? I wonder how he sounds when he is energetic grinning smiley

LOL! The vocals here are brilliant, and not unfocused at all. The singing is just as groovy and dangerous as the song, if not more.

You're gonna have to tell me what "artistic inspiration" means to you.

As I'm sure you'll agree on, the simplest blues or the most one-dimensional funk could very well be a great song - totally on par with a symphonic, epic masterpiece.

This album needed a nitty gritty-funk, and this is the one, imo!

Listen to Bernard trying to re-create Mick's vocals on Ronnie's Slide On This - Live. That shows how hard it is to sing like Mick Jagger, when he is stretching things far - his own way thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-25 12:35 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 25, 2013 12:57

One of my top 3 Stones tunes. MEGA!!!!!

Date: November 25, 2013 13:11

Dandie, I like the way Jagger uses his voice like an instrument with his idiosyncratic interpretation skills and color of his voice, and the way he 'feels' the music and moves according to it, but I have heard much more inspired-sounding and convincing results from him via this method. (And no hell, I'm not going to listen any Bernard Fowler efforts to sound like Jagger!). What is also great in his vocals here is that he actually still sounds real without being so damn cliched and professional or struggled-cat-like as he would later do. In that sense he continues the great tradition of Pathe Marconi era, sometimes resulting in funnily drunken-sounding efforts (like here).

The point is that as Mick Jagger he sounds like taking an easy route here by relying on his natural insticts, which this time aren't so memorable and convincing in the long run. I don't know what he should have done differently, but I don't hear there an inspired and focused result. To me he sounds a bit lost. Like not being in totally control of his delivery and just throws anything he happens to find from his mouth. Like not having the song totally under his skin. But that's just me. Let's say I use the high criterion I have used to hear from him before, not afterwards.

Of course, the structural base of a song has nothing to do with its greatness. the Stones have made masterpieces from very basic ideas, etc. but I think "Pretty Beat Up" is not one of them. But it works in its own terms, and has a function in the album, as you noted (UNDERCOVER, more than any album ever, is a 'poor man's EXILE ON MAIN STREET' in that sense). I think it represents rather well the over-all quality of UNDERCOVER. If ones loves the album dearly, one loves it also. But if one doesn't, it is a rather mediocre track in their catalogue.

- Doxa

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 25, 2013 13:17

It's a decent enough track but nothing too special. I think in the absence of new material a lot of people try and re-evaluate post 1981 Stones songs and fool themselves into thinking they are a lot better than they actually are.

My yardstick has always been, would this song have made it onto any of their albums from Aftermath to Some Girls. Unfortunately I don't think this one would have.

The song always makes me think of the Black And Blue album advert.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-25 13:22 by Silver Dagger.

Date: November 25, 2013 13:24

<What is also great in his vocals here is that he actually still sounds real without being so damn cliched and professional or struggled-cat-like as he would later do.>

Well, imo, he started sounding like that in the early 70s already.

Listen to TWFNO, Till The Next Goodbye and others.

<The point is that as Mick Jagger he sounds like taking an easy route here by relying on his natural insticts, which this time aren't so memorable and convincing in the long run.>

I hear you, but I can't find any logical reason to agree with you.

PBU is among my absolute favourite vocals by Mick. The way he hits the high notes, growls, sounds both vulnerable and invincable at the same time - as well as the punch and the feel he delivers here, makes it totally memorable. NO ONE can do it like this - that was my point with the Bernard comparison.

BTW, I started collecting singles recently, and bought the Undercover/All The Way Down single. That gave me another excuse for listening more closely to the latter song. If I haven't praised this one enough earlier, now is the time. It really is a great, but somewhat different rocker.

Date: November 25, 2013 13:34

DandelionPowderman
<What is also great in his vocals here is that he actually still sounds real without being so damn cliched and professional or struggled-cat-like as he would later do.>

Well, imo, he started sounding like that in the early 70s already.

Listen to TWFNO, Till The Next Goodbye and others.

I know what you mean, and I agree with you. By the time of IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL Jagger started to sound tired and a bit forced, like running out of the inspiring bullets he had mastered in his masterful EXILE and GOAT'S HEAD SOUP vocals (even though there might be symptoms of that alraedy in the latter album). In UNDERCOVER, and in "Pretty Beat Up" in particular, I hear same kind of artistic tireness in regards to inspired Pathe Marconi era. But that's not a bad thing per se - no, quite contrary, it expresses the human side of the things. You can hear what is happening there; the guy is still using music as a natural expression of his artistic drive, and can't 'fool' us. Probably for that reason "Pretty Beat Up" moves me the way very rare cut by the Stones ever since does.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-25 13:40 by Doxa.

Date: November 25, 2013 13:58

<even though there might be symptoms of that alraedy in the latter album>

Yep, on Winter and Hide Your Love in particular.

But PBU shows no signs of tiredness. On the contrary, it's full of energy, and Mick's vocals is spot on!

What I was referring to was the camp, vain-ish jadedness that came into Mick's vocals. The sniffing, the "new" pronounciation of words and the "I love myself, and I'm never gonna finish this phrase"-endings of his lines smiling smiley

They are cool to a point, but he steps over the line a few times, imo.

I know many people disagree with me here, but there is a difference between the high octan growling and the campy vocals. The growling is prominent on SG, and on PBU, while the campy thing evolved in the glam era (but it's of course evident on Miss You as well).

However, the growling went too far as well, and hit the nadir on She's The Boss as well as on Fight, imo.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 25, 2013 19:06

drewmaster
A raucous, sweaty, super-funky jungle vamp that exudes violence and decay, and fits perfectly within all the other gory apocalyptic carnage on Undercover. Love that wailing sax solo, and those lyrics that nail how brutal and heartless a former lover can be. Great stuff, Ronnie.

Drew

I totally agree.

Date: November 25, 2013 20:23

DandelionPowderman

But PBU shows no signs of tiredness. On the contrary, it's full of energy, and Mick's vocals is spot on!

What I was referring to was the camp, vain-ish jadedness that came into Mick's vocals. The sniffing, the "new" pronounciation of words and the "I love myself, and I'm never gonna finish this phrase"-endings of his lines smiling smiley

I know many people disagree with me here, but there is a difference between the high octan growling and the campy vocals. The growling is prominent on SG, and on PBU, while the campy thing evolved in the glam era (but it's of course evident on Miss You as well).

However, the growling went too far as well, and hit the nadir on She's The Boss as well as on Fight, imo.

Well, I think "Winter" is one of Jagger's strongest vocal performances ever, and actually one of the strongest vocal performances by anyone ever, and I was about to mention "Hide Your Love" as a counter example to "Pretty Beat Up" where he breathes the flow of the music convincingly and naturally, but I guess we have a huge taste difference here. I recall you once said that Jagger sings "Lies" as good as he does "Rip This Joint", which is for me a capital crime to claim... grinning smiley

I get the "campiness" point of the early 70's, but I think Jagger does a marvellous job there, using novel aspects of his natural and unique tone ("Let It Loose", "Angie", Winter", etc.), wheras the stuff he does from, say, PRIMITIVE COOL on, sounds more like vocal coached stuff, hiding losing some chords of his natural voice. I also think the growling/shouting of the early/mid 80's is partly hiding losing the powerfull sharpness and edge he naturally had in his younger age, especially in EXILE rockers (thinking of "Rocks Off", "Rip This Joint", "All Down The Line", "Soul Survivor").

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-25 20:32 by Doxa.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 25, 2013 20:30

Silver Dagger
It's a decent enough track but nothing too special. I think in the absence of new material a lot of people try and re-evaluate post 1981 Stones songs and fool themselves into thinking they are a lot better than they actually are.

My yardstick has always been, would this song have made it onto any of their albums from Aftermath to Some Girls. Unfortunately I don't think this one would have.

PBU is pretty much in the same ragged groove vein as Turd On The Run and Lies, so....

Mathijs

Date: November 25, 2013 20:43

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Well, I think "Winter" is one of Jagger's strongest vocal performances ever, and actually one of the strongest vocal performances by anyone ever, and I was about to mention "Hide Your Love" as a counter example to "Pretty Beat Up" where he breathes the flow of the music convincingly and naturally, but I guess we have a huge taste difference here. I recall you once said that Jagger sings "Lies" as good as he does "Rip This Joint", which is for me a capital crime to claim... grinning smiley

I get the "campiness" point of the early 70's, but I think Jagger does a marvellous job there, using novel aspects of his natural and unique tone ("Let It Loose", "Angie", Winter", etc.), wheras the stuff he does from, say, PRIMITIVE COOL on, sounds more like vocal coached stuff, hiding losing some chords of his natural voice. I also think the growling/shouting of the early/mid 80's is partly hiding losing the powerfull sharpness and edge he naturally had in his younger age, especially in EXILE rockers (thinking of "Rocks Off", "Rip This Joint", "All Down The Line", "Soul Survivor").

- Doxa

Winter is not even junior league, compared to Angie and Let It Loose, imo.

You really find Mick's singing on Hide Your Love "natural"?

The bridge on CYHTM, however, THAT is great singing from Mick.

And what's wrong with Mick on Lies? You can't get more powerful than that confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-25 20:45 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 25, 2013 21:18

Mathijs
Silver Dagger

PBU is pretty much in the same ragged groove vein as Turd On The Run and Lies, so....

Mathijs

Yeah. but there's ragged grooves and ragged grooves with something extra and Turd On The Run wins hands down with its hilarious lyrics. Lies I never thought was too ragged - just the Stones doing Stones by numbers.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 26, 2013 04:30

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

Winter is not even junior league, compared to Angie and Let It Loose, imo.

You really find Mick's singing on Hide Your Love "natural"?

The bridge on CYHTM, however, THAT is great singing from Mick.

And what's wrong with Mick on Lies? You can't get more powerful than that confused smiley

I don't equate shouting to powerful singing. Lies is to Some Girls what Neighbours is to Tattoo You.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 26, 2013 05:11

definitely one of my favorites off the album -- She Was Hot is still superior, and probably Feel On Baby as well. Pretty Beat Up comes in 3rd!

*edit* ... wait, forgot about the guitar solo in Undercover, PBU comes in 4th!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-26 05:12 by LeonidP.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2702
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home