Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Ron Wood - Mick Taylor an unlikely pair???
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: November 1, 2013 19:36

For decades Stones fans have discussed the merits of Wood replacing Taylor who slashed and burned historic licks during the groups heydays. Woody has had to endure endless public comparisons not always kind to him yet here he is touring with Taylor showing what a true gent he is. Wood's magnanimous soul explains why he continues to be one of rock's coolest personalities and proves how little we know about what's behind the scenes...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-01 19:40 by DoomandGloom.

Re: Ron Wood - Mick Taylor an unlikely pair???
Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: November 1, 2013 19:46

Agree wholeheartedly. Also, he's always been good to Mick Taylor..they've been friends since they were in their teens. And I'm pretty sure Taylor doesn't agree with nor approve of all of the Woody-bashing, either. Both guitarists have been raked over the coals...Taylor for leaving the Stones and Wood not adequately filling his shoes.

Date: November 1, 2013 19:54

Really proves we don't know diddly... It will be good to hear Taylor stretch out a bit... Of course it makes you wonder what the future Stones guitar line-up will be and if Taylor can weave in. So far the results have been good but not great....

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: November 1, 2013 20:00

Well, they're all getting older and maybe not necessarily better. But what do I know??!!! We'll have to see. To Be Continued......that's for sure!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: November 1, 2013 20:08

DoomandGloom
For decades Stones fans have discussed the merits of Wood replacing Taylor who slashed and burned historic licks during the groups heydays. Woody has had to endure endless public comparisons not always kind to him yet here he is touring with Taylor showing what a true gent he is. Wood's magnanimous soul explains why he continues to be one of rock's coolest personalities and proves how little we know about what's behind the scenes...

Personality or friendship has nothing to do with being a good (Stones) guitarist. Wood has never been able to replace Taylor, he's simply not in his league as a guitar player and musician.

The so called three guitar attack has been tried on Midnight Rambler during the last tour (and some Satisfactions as well). To my taste one guitar too many. Taylor and Richards on MR would have been enough. Taylor wouldn't fit in on the other songs with Wood and Keith regarding the way they play them (studio versions). In a more free concept it would be possible, but also then I would prefer only Richards and Taylor. Which won't happen as we know.

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: November 1, 2013 20:18

There I also the Wood and taylor permutation. I bet it has occurred to Jagger.

Accidents can happen - even to Keith.

edit ...... especially to Keith!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-01 20:19 by Deluxtone.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 1, 2013 20:22

I think people have gotten over that stupid Wood vs. Taylor thing. Yes, the Stones never soared as high musically again, but Ronnie has created a number of highlights of his own and I've come to respect him as a slide player.

I know Keith prefers the weaving thing but when the Keith as funkmaster and Mick T as the lead guitarist worked, it really worked, although Taylor never did seem fully integrated into the Stones.

Obviously Taylor and Wood have never let it bother them. Taylor left voluntarily so it's not like Ronnie took his job. (South Park reference).

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 1, 2013 20:24

Maybe Ronnie had more to do with Mick Taylor coming back than we know.

Date: November 1, 2013 20:25

Deluxtone
There I also the Wood and taylor permutation. I bet it has occurred to Jagger.

Accidents can happen - even to Keith.

edit ...... especially to Keith!
Anything can happen but I doubt there'd be a Stones without Keith... Even in his current condition he's somehow spiritually way ahead of these other 2 players. Even when he messes up, you know what he meant and is still great.... I hope a tour without him or Charlie never happens...

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: November 1, 2013 20:28

The way that Ronnie has behaved in the last year has been so gracious and I don't think there can be too much doubt that Taylor has had a fantastic payday since returning "into the fold" last Nov/Dec.

By the way I truly rate Ronnie as a guitarist, sometimes he is on fire and I would say a bit more reliable live performer than MT.

Date: November 1, 2013 21:58

Ron's got it together in the last few years but 1997 t0 2007 he was far from reliable. And he was letting the whole band down.

If Taylor messes up on one of his solo shows - well he's only letting himself down and maybe a few hundred fans down who didn't pay megabucks. Still very disappointing for those fans - but not as shameful as Wood has been.

But Wood has got away with it in the Vegas Stones because with Chuck et al he's not often missed.

But it has been great to have him back in good form. Long may it last.

I also do believe that, if Mick and Charlie are fit, they'd do shows sans Keith and with Ronnie/Taylor.

Certainly a testimonial one.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 1, 2013 22:03

kleermaker

Wood has never been able to replace Taylor, he's simply not in his league as a guitar player and musician.

Without a doubt, Wood was a much, much better musician on this 2012/2013 tour than Taylor.

Mathijs

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 1, 2013 22:15

Ron Wood - Mick Taylor an unlikely pair???

No,not at all. The other way round more like it.
Both great musicians who can play great music together in a band, or great music with any other band they are in ,or join in with. winking smiley

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: November 1, 2013 22:35

Ok, to put in my 2 pennies worth:

As much as I love Mick Taylor, Ronnie Wood is the more interesting guitar player...by far.

There are quite a few guitarists like Mick Taylor.
If they didn't pick Taylor in 1969 the albums would be just as good. He plays on top of something great. And he does (did) that absolutely fantastic.
But he benefitted from Jagger/Richards at their peak: '68-'72 weren't the golden years because of Mick Taylor. Jagger/Richards were on fire when he joined.

Ronnie Wood is in the music. He re-energised The Stones. He was exactly what they needed. Some Girls without Ronnie Wood? His punky, funky, soulful approach is unique. Only one guy plays like Ron Wood.

I even think Keith plays better when he plays with Ronnie.

Date: November 1, 2013 22:48

Mathijs
kleermaker

Wood has never been able to replace Taylor, he's simply not in his league as a guitar player and musician.

Without a doubt, Wood was a much, much better musician on this 2012/2013 tour than Taylor.

Mathijs
Agree he was a true selfless pro last year...

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 2, 2013 00:35

Not so sure that Keith is "spiritually ahead of " anyone. I don't think he has the charitable nature that some think he has...he surely could be more generous to his fellow bandmates, IMO. I think Ronnie is a kind man, one who cares how his bandmates feel..he is the peacekeeper. I'm sure he does empathize with Mick Taylor and I think it's a wonderful thing he's doing, inviting MT to do these shows with him.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 2, 2013 00:38

I don't agree at all, BowieStone. I think MIck Taylor is special...everytime I watch " Ladies and Gentleman, The Rolling Stones", I am mesmerized by his playing on " Love in Vain"...and I recall thinking that he was going to be around a long time when I first saw the Stones live, my first time in 1972. I don't think players like MT are common. You can play the same notes but he FEELS them.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 2, 2013 00:44

I have no idea what the personal dynamics are between the band members these days, but much as I'm looking forward to hearing the Ronnie and Mick T Show, I don't see them taking over from Keith in the Stones. Without Keith it isn't the Stones, pure and simple, no matter what shape he's in or how little he's playing. It wouldn't be the Stones without Mick. To a slightly (very slightly) lesser extent, it wouldn't be the Stones without Charlie. If any one of them leaves, or is invited to leave, including Charlie, that's when the Stones ends, for me.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 2, 2013 00:56

When I suggested a three guitar attack (so to speak) MR is not what I had in mind. Among the three of them you had possibilities for acoustic, electric, pedal steel, slide, lead, rhythm, etc. I still think it was a missed opportunity for some fresh arrangements. I am happy for Taylor and grateful to the band, but what I was hoping for would have required some time, creativity and plain work.

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: November 2, 2013 02:22

When Ronnie joined the band he was a very nice competent guitarist. AS the years went on he deteriorated physically due to constant drinking and snorting with Keith. By the time the 80s rolled around he was a shell of his former self. He was excellent with The Faces and a very nice fit for The Stones in the beginning. He showed signs of coming out of it during the Stripped Sessions. He actually has played well lately. I hope he continues.
That's the way I see it.

Cheers,

SOULSURVIVOR

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 2, 2013 03:27

Ronnie proved more than ever at his gig tonight what an amazing guitarist he is. He gets to show only a glimmer (ha) of what he's capable of when he'a playing with the Stones.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: November 2, 2013 03:32

Aquamarine
I have no idea what the personal dynamics are between the band members these days, but much as I'm looking forward to hearing the Ronnie and Mick T Show, I don't see them taking over from Keith in the Stones. Without Keith it isn't the Stones, pure and simple, no matter what shape he's in or how little he's playing. It wouldn't be the Stones without Mick. To a slightly (very slightly) lesser extent, it wouldn't be the Stones without Charlie. If any one of them leaves, or is invited to leave, including Charlie, that's when the Stones ends, for me.
this seems so obviously true, nobody could quarrel with it. Without Mick, Keith or Charlie the Rolling Stones would end.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 2, 2013 03:38

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 2, 2013 03:55

Rokyfan
Aquamarine
this seems so obviously true, nobody could quarrel with it. Without Mick, Keith or Charlie the Rolling Stones would end.

And yet you'll find people with different opinions, just a few posts back. winking smiley

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 2, 2013 04:28

I got the impression Ronnie got an order from big Mick to keep Taylor in shape till next year.Maybe he's even getting another song then.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: November 2, 2013 04:44

You know BowieStone I never thought of it that way but I think you are 100% right. Jagger/Richards never were better or even as good as the 68-72 era and even though MT didn't play a lick on BB it's just as great an album as Excile in my opinion. Of course M.Taylor benefitted from the other two being at their hottest during his short time with the band. And good as he was perhaps Woody or even Brian in better times would have played as well in their own styles on these l.p's as Taylor did if that's the way history had played out? Who know's, right?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 2, 2013 07:50

What a load. Mick Taylor elevated the Stones to an incredible musical zenith. Ron Wood brought back some funkiness, and he has been better since laying off the bottle. Period. IMHO.

The title of this thread is Ron Wood - Mick Taylor and unlikely pair? No. They are both members of an extremely exclusive fraternity. They are 2 of only 6 people that the world knows as the Rolling Stones.

Jones/Jagger/Richards/Wyman/Watts/Taylor/Wood. That's it.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: November 2, 2013 08:56

24FPS
What a load. Mick Taylor elevated the Stones to an incredible musical zenith. Ron Wood brought back some funkiness, and he has been better since laying off the bottle. Period. IMHO.

The title of this thread is Ron Wood - Mick Taylor and unlikely pair? No. They are both members of an extremely exclusive fraternity. They are 2 of only 6 people that the world knows as the Rolling Stones.

Jones/Jagger/Richards/Wyman/Watts/Taylor/Wood. That's it.

I make that seven..

Date: November 2, 2013 11:53

Rockman

We have Great Minds, Man of Rock

c.f. my post page 8 of Ronnie's Shoesfest gig. (before I noticed this your post)

Date: November 2, 2013 12:06

rob51
You know BowieStone I never thought of it that way but I think you are 100% right. Jagger/Richards never were better or even as good as the 68-72 era and even though MT didn't play a lick on BB it's just as great an album as Excile in my opinion. Of course M.Taylor benefitted from the other two being at their hottest during his short time with the band. And good as he was perhaps Woody or even Brian in better times would have played as well in their own styles on these l.p's as Taylor did if that's the way history had played out? Who know's, right?

Rob51, you noodle-poodle.

Why do you think Mick and Keith were in top form live, (nay, the whole band) from 69 to 73.

The answer is simple. The answer is Taylor.

He inspired Mick musically and in songwriting and he lifted and challenged keith to new heights live.

When Taylor jpoined in 69 he couldn't believe how ramshackled they were. Early 69 shows were scrappy.

By end of 69 tour they were the Greatest etc.

Mick T was so competent and intuitive that it gave Mick and Keith complete confidence and free rein to let go and perform to their max. Bill and Charlie just relaxed and laid the groove for the rest to build on.

MT was the spark that launched them to GRRBINW status and superstardom ..............

Not knocking Wood.
His time wood come.

But he in that year was involved with another great rollicking live band in 1969 ..... for which we were extremely grateful. Two fantastic bands in early seventies.

I was a fan of both.

Fantastic times.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2232
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home