Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New York - GYYY's Out Film?
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: November 1, 2013 13:50

I'm sure this has been covered before but I couldn't find it in the archives, but is there film in existence specifically of them playing Sympathy from the New York show? I'd be amazed if it wasn't filmed as they were filming for Gimme Shelter on that tour.

Re: New York - GYYY's Out Film?
Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: November 1, 2013 17:52

crumbling_mice
I'm sure this has been covered before but I couldn't find it in the archives, but is there film in existence specifically of them playing Sympathy from the New York show? I'd be amazed if it wasn't filmed as they were filming for Gimme Shelter on that tour.

If there is, I have never seen it. Did you check out youtube?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 1, 2013 17:52

I found these thread about the Maysles' unreleased footage.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: November 1, 2013 18:00

There was a charity screening at Maysles' Harlem studio for the Shidoobees a few years ago on New Year's Eve. For some reason they were sworn to secrecy but they said it contained an entire MSG performance.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 1, 2013 18:12

More archival stuff for when the Stones stop rolling again and need product. It would be fun to know what's out there. I'm surprised they've never put out an updated Rewind, with all their post-ABKCO videos. One of the reasons I don't watch Gimme Shelter often is I get frustrated. I want to see entire songs and they cut too many of them off.

Date: November 1, 2013 19:21

Thanks for your responses, now you mention it I remember about the secret screening. Now that would be a great show to see in its entirity and something to look forward to. I'm just pleased that footage exists of the MSG show and hopefully if it's the Maysles it will be as good as the other GS clips. I can wait, unless of course, I die before they get around to releasing it!

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: November 1, 2013 22:36

I am convinced the Maysles Bros. have more footage and concert audio in the vaults for several 69 tour shows. If you read this article one of the Brothers mentions filming all 3 MSG shows and continuing on to Boston, Florida and Alabama so maybe they also filmed those shows as well?

[www.salon.com]

We made a deal with them to go to Madison Square Garden and started filming. We got so excited we stuck with them for the next couple of weeks, going to Boston, Florida and Alabama.”

Also one of the Gimme Shelter Film Directors, Charlotte Zwerin, mentions getting an uncut copy of the complete Altamont performance to review:

"The performance of 'Gimme Shelter' was one of the most powerful things I'd ever heard. At one point the Maysles sent me tapes of the entire Stones performance uncut; it's out of a horror movie."

In this article it claims that one of the sound guys at Altamont have the complete SB for that concert.

[www.insidebayarea.com]

The Stones, who may or may not have known that Hunter had died, returned after the melee to play eight more songs. According to Matthews, who recorded the performance and still holds the tapes, the band delivered an inspired second set that closed with "Street Fighting Man," a song that might have rung the closing bell on the Woodstock era.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-01 22:52 by oldschool.

Date: November 2, 2013 00:04

That's good to hear oldschool...let's keep our fingers crossed.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 2, 2013 03:41

There's also evidence of recordings from earlier in the tour..
One can only hope..

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: November 6, 2013 13:03

This apparently exists on film:

Rolling Stones (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction 1969-11-24 6:09
Rolling Stones Carol 1969-11-24 3:27
Rolling Stones Honky Tonk Women 1969-11-24 :30
Rolling Stones Jumping Jack Flash 1969-11-24 4:12
Rolling Stones Little Queenie 1969-11-24 4:10
Rolling Stones Love In Vain 1969-11-24 4:50
Rolling Stones Prodigal Son 1969-11-24 3:28
Rolling Stones Stray Cat Blues 1969-11-24 3:27
Rolling Stones Sympathy For The Devil 1969-11-24 7:12

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-06 13:06 by Nasty Habits.

Date: November 6, 2013 13:09

24th? Or 27th/28th?

Date: November 6, 2013 13:57

Nasty Habits
This apparently exists on film:

Rolling Stones (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction 1969-11-24 6:09
Rolling Stones Carol 1969-11-24 3:27
Rolling Stones Honky Tonk Women 1969-11-24 :30
Rolling Stones Jumping Jack Flash 1969-11-24 4:12
Rolling Stones Little Queenie 1969-11-24 4:10
Rolling Stones Love In Vain 1969-11-24 4:50
Rolling Stones Prodigal Son 1969-11-24 3:28
Rolling Stones Stray Cat Blues 1969-11-24 3:27
Rolling Stones Sympathy For The Devil 1969-11-24 7:12

That would be the Detroit show? Never heard of any film from that show?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 6, 2013 21:38

oldschool
I am convinced the Maysles Bros. have more footage and concert audio in the vaults for several 69 tour shows. If you read this article one of the Brothers mentions filming all 3 MSG shows and continuing on to Boston, Florida and Alabama so maybe they also filmed those shows as well?

[www.salon.com]

We made a deal with them to go to Madison Square Garden and started filming. We got so excited we stuck with them for the next couple of weeks, going to Boston, Florida and Alabama.”

Also one of the Gimme Shelter Film Directors, Charlotte Zwerin, mentions getting an uncut copy of the complete Altamont performance to review:

"The performance of 'Gimme Shelter' was one of the most powerful things I'd ever heard. At one point the Maysles sent me tapes of the entire Stones performance uncut; it's out of a horror movie."

In this article it claims that one of the sound guys at Altamont have the complete SB for that concert.

[www.insidebayarea.com]

The Stones, who may or may not have known that Hunter had died, returned after the melee to play eight more songs. According to Matthews, who recorded the performance and still holds the tapes, the band delivered an inspired second set that closed with "Street Fighting Man," a song that might have rung the closing bell on the Woodstock era.

About 80% of the Altamont show is available as soundboard. However, the version that is circulating is awfull quality, almost unlistenable. But it is evidence that the SB tape has been traded.

Mathijs

Date: November 7, 2013 19:11

oldschool

Yeah you're right it is a Detroit show, at least that's what it's listed as. I think it's possible as in Gimme Shelter the footage shown with Love in Vain dubbed over it isn't from New York the stage is different. I'll find a frame from the bit I'm talking about at some point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-08 02:16 by Nasty Habits.

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: November 8, 2013 00:18

oldschool

Three Detroit songs circulated in the VHS era, but seem to have been lost except for LQ.
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: November 8, 2013 00:49

THIS WAS ON PBS RECENTLY..NO SYMPATHY THAT I SAW.

Date: November 8, 2013 02:14

BILLPERKS
THIS WAS ON PBS RECENTLY..NO SYMPATHY THAT I SAW.

What was on PBS?

Date: November 8, 2013 14:16

smokeydusky
oldschool

Three Detroit songs circulated in the VHS era, but seem to have been lost except for LQ.
[www.iorr.org]

Very strange I have never seen this footage show up on a bootleg DVD or on youtube......makes me doubt it exists.........

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: November 8, 2013 14:27

Yes, I too am perplexed about this. SFTD from Detroit? Never heard about this, nor have I ever heard about Little Queenie being from Detroit. Always thought that was an outtake from NYC. Does anyone have more information?

Date: November 8, 2013 15:43

The three tracks from Detroit where aired on TV on 'Detroit Tube Works', and that's where the tape is coming from. I have yet to see the footage though, as far as I know it hasn't surfaced.

Love in Vain from Gimme SHelter is from Baltimore, but the film images are shot in New York. All other music and images are from MSG, except of course for the Altamont footage.

Do note that all images and music from the GS movie are comibinations of different shows. Sataisfaction for example is from both the first and second 28th show. Maysels has explained this is due to the camera's they used: these had 5 minte film canisters that took 10 minutes to replace when full. This meant that they had to choose which songs to film with the entire crew, and that many songs where filmed incomplete. They also used film video film equipment to shoot the shows, and these are the one-camera footage in lesser quality, for example the Little Queenie outtake and the Prodigal Son and You Gotta Move tracks.

Chances that a complete show in excellent quality exists are very slim. For example, Maysels mentioned that Sympathy and Rambler where too long to be filmed.

Mathijs

Date: November 8, 2013 16:28

Didnt the early re-release of gimme shelter have Stray Cat and Midnight Rambler? But didnt eventuate?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-08 16:33 by Eleanor Rigby.

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: November 8, 2013 16:41

I kind of think that if there were really that much quality material it would have been released by now, and certainly by last year when anyone with anything to tell was trying to capitalize on the Stones 50th. So I for one doubt there is much there. Look at Robert Frank who recorded the entire 72 tour but what is left is apparently very little, snippets here and there. We learned this when the Exile "documentary" came out a few years ago.

I think the most interesting thing in this thread is the photo of the sound engineer in CA with his pro quality tapes of the Altamont show. It would be great to hear those one day.

Date: November 8, 2013 16:53

But I think it was mentioned that there could be some "rights" still attached to the music..thats why rumours of Stray Cat and Midnight Rambler were "replaced" with You gotta move and Prodigal Son..

Date: November 8, 2013 18:00

Mathijs
The three tracks from Detroit where aired on TV on 'Detroit Tube Works', and that's where the tape is coming from. I have yet to see the footage though, as far as I know it hasn't surfaced.

Love in Vain from Gimme SHelter is from Baltimore, but the film images are shot in New York. All other music and images are from MSG, except of course for the Altamont footage.

Do note that all images and music from the GS movie are comibinations of different shows. Sataisfaction for example is from both the first and second 28th show. Maysels has explained this is due to the camera's they used: these had 5 minte film canisters that took 10 minutes to replace when full. This meant that they had to choose which songs to film with the entire crew, and that many songs where filmed incomplete. They also used film video film equipment to shoot the shows, and these are the one-camera footage in lesser quality, for example the Little Queenie outtake and the Prodigal Son and You Gotta Move tracks.

Chances that a complete show in excellent quality exists are very slim. For example, Maysels mentioned that Sympathy and Rambler where too long to be filmed.

Mathijs

Makes sense then that we did not get more unreleased bonus footage in the Ya Ya's box set but supposedly there is a video of the complete Altamont concert?

Date: November 8, 2013 18:04

Mathijs

Huh? I'm confused.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: November 8, 2013 18:17

Midnight Rambler definitely would have helped set the tone in the build up to the Altamont fiasco in Gimme Shelter.

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: November 8, 2013 19:01

shawnriffhard1
Yes, I too am perplexed about this. SFTD from Detroit? Never heard about this, nor have I ever heard about Little Queenie being from Detroit. Always thought that was an outtake from NYC. Does anyone have more information?

LQ in the GYYYO release is from NY.
LQ from Detroit is on a DVD named Stoned Again By the Rockers or something like that.

Date: November 8, 2013 20:19

MILKYWAY
Mathijs

Huh? I'm confused.

Rightfully so. I meant: the soundboard tracks are available since the 80's, and I have only seen video footage of LQ, not the other tracks.

Mathijs

Date: November 8, 2013 20:29

smokeydusky
shawnriffhard1

LQ in the GYYYO release is from NY.
LQ from Detroit is on a DVD named Stoned Again By the Rockers or something like that.

You are correct sir, good call

[rateyourmusic.com]

If this really is from Detroit it is amazing it never made it onto youtube

Date: November 8, 2013 20:59

Mathijs
Rightfully so. I meant: the soundboard tracks are available since the 80's, and I have only seen video footage of LQ, not the other tracks.

Mathijs

Thank you for the clarification.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1434
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home