Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Semi OT: Any Stones related New York tips?
Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: September 26, 2013 16:36

Heading out to NYC this weekend and have two days to kill before a short work stint. Does any NYC fans have any tips for either
a) Stones related places to see
b) great guitar/music shops?

Thought perhaps I could walk down to the spot where the "Waiting for a Friend" vid was shot. I know the place isnt there any more, but to see the location is kinda cool.

All other bar-, art-, concert- or boomchickawowwow tips welcome too smiling smiley

Re: Semi OT: Any Stones related New York tips?
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: September 26, 2013 17:11

I was there for the December concerts. I remember a few music shops and instrument shops in the Village, and maybe SOHO. Around that area atleast.

Is the Paley Center still having that Stones exhibit? I doubt it, but worth a look.

Gotta walk and sing in Central Park at night.

Ludlow Guitars and Rudy's Music are two I remember.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-26 17:15 by MingSubu.

Date: September 26, 2013 19:12

Thanks a lot MingSubu!

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: September 26, 2013 20:00

Walk down Thompson Street. Seem to remember a few guitar and record shops but it's been a few years. Generation Records at 210 Thompson may still be there...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 26, 2013 23:35

The NY Film festival starts this Friday, RobberBride, and it is featuring a Jean-Luc Godard retrospective. I imagine it will include something about the Stones Sympathy for the Devil film. Have fun!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 27, 2013 01:08

IF I were YOU I'd be spendin' my time hangin' around Germano Studios, Broadway, NYC .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: September 27, 2013 01:36

Not that there would be much to do there other than just stand in the spot so you could say you were there, but you could go to the corner of 5th Avenue and 9th Street which was the ending spot of the flatbed rolling down 5th Avenue to announce the '75 Tour of the Americas.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: September 27, 2013 03:21

What am i doing here on the corner of west 8th street & 6th avenue?

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 27, 2013 04:24

Too bad they're not scheduled for MSG! You'll have fun anyway. Do stroll up 5th Ave. There are shops there working folk can actually afford to buy things. See Grand Central Station, too! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 27, 2013 07:37

2000 LYFH
What am i doing here on the corner of west 8th street & 6th avenue?

Nuthin'...hey KEITH, what you, what you doin'?!

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: September 27, 2013 22:24

Rockman
IF I were YOU I'd be spendin' my time hangin' around Germano Studios, Broadway, NYC .....

Yup, me too. I'll bring the snacks.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 28, 2013 02:26

NoCode0680
Not that there would be much to do there other than just stand in the spot so you could say you were there, but you could go to the corner of 5th Avenue and 9th Street which was the ending spot of the flatbed rolling down 5th Avenue to announce the '75 Tour of the Americas.

Funny, that's exactly where I parked last time I drove to NYC, but I never knew about the connection.

Date: September 28, 2013 15:35

MingSubu
Rockman

Yup, me too. I'll bring the snacks.

Ha ha. Popcorn in hand. Ready to hit the streetssmiling smiley
Thanks all!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 28, 2013 19:50

New York tip:
Use IORR's search

Date: September 29, 2013 01:38

schillid
New York tip:
Use IORR's search

Yep, did that smiling smiley Thats where I found your useful thread about St Marks Bar. Tried to mail you but your mail is hidden :/

So I checked out the studio Keiths been working in lately. DidnĀ“t get a tour like at Electric Ladyland but it was a nice enough moment. Not much action. Then checked out Ludlow Guitars and got slightly hammered at St Marks Bar. Priceless.
Thanks everybody for tips.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 29, 2013 02:56

RobberBride
Heading out to NYC this weekend and have two days to kill before a short work stint. Does any NYC fans have any tips for either
a) Stones related places to see
b) great guitar/music shops?

Thought perhaps I could walk down to the spot where the "Waiting for a Friend" vid was shot. I know the place isnt there any more, but to see the location is kinda cool.

All other bar-, art-, concert- or boomchickawowwow tips welcome too smiling smiley

You mean the place where the cover of Physical Graffiti was also photographed? It's still there, or was as of a couple of years ago. I've got pics of me standing in front of it! Wish I could remember the address. It's now got a boutique called Physical Graffiti in the basement.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 29, 2013 05:54

You might want to visit the Beacon Theater on the upper Westside.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 29, 2013 09:50

Ooh, that is one beautiful art deco theater--worth visiting even without the Stones connections. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1674
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home