Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 23
Re: OT: Kinks stuff - Kinks tour and more
Date: April 3, 2014 11:27

Redhotcarpet
I dont know anything about the Kinks and I discovered them far too late. They were always mentioned in the magazines or the books but still totally underrated by me. Is it the imo pretty lame bandname and their bleak image compared to Who, Stones, Velvet, Doors or Beatles? They failed to find new teen fans in the 1980s, 90s? Somehow their outside the retro era of the late 80s early 90s.

the kinks had a more bleak image than the velvet underground eye popping smiley

Date: April 3, 2014 11:32

I love every Kinks-era. Here's a brilliant show from 1979 - when they were touring behind several big current hits:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-03 11:55 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 3, 2014 13:42

DandelionPowderman
I love every Kinks-era. Here's a brilliant show from 1979 - when they were touring behind several big current hits:

glad you are back !

Date: April 3, 2014 13:44

Glad to be back smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 3, 2014 14:48

keefriffhard4life
Redhotcarpet
I dont know anything about the Kinks and I discovered them far too late. They were always mentioned in the magazines or the books but still totally underrated by me. Is it the imo pretty lame bandname and their bleak image compared to Who, Stones, Velvet, Doors or Beatles? They failed to find new teen fans in the 1980s, 90s? Somehow their outside the retro era of the late 80s early 90s.

Also, totally not true about new fans, at least in the 80s. I recall the live album 'One For The Road' in the late 70s was pretty big in high schools, followed up with the 1981 retro single Destroyer and album 'Give The People What They Want' and then what can only be described as a 'smash' single (at least in Kinkstory) in 1983, Come Dancing and the glorious Don't Forget To Dance from the album State of Confusion.

I even bought Word of Mouth, which has that great Dave Davies song whose title escapes me for the moment.

So perhaps that renaissance petered out by the 90s, but the 80s was solid.

Date: April 3, 2014 14:54

treaclefingers
keefriffhard4life
Redhotcarpet

Also, totally not true about new fans, at least in the 80s. I recall the live album 'One For The Road' in the late 70s was pretty big in high schools, followed up with the 1981 retro single Destroyer and album 'Give The People What They Want' and then what can only be described as a 'smash' single (at least in Kinkstory) in 1983, Come Dancing and the glorious Don't Forget To Dance from the album State of Confusion.

I even bought Word of Mouth, which has that great Dave Davies song whose title escapes me for the moment.

The Kinks didn't really break through in America (or world-wide) before the late 70s. The 1979 One For The Road-video/live album (see the video above) is loaded with big late 70s hits, and was the first stadium/big arena tour the Kinks ever did.

The popularity lasted more or less through the Word Of Mouth-album in 1984.

Ironically, imo, their best albums came when the group was at the nadir of their popularity (1966-1976) - although I enjoy their late 70s-early 80s albums.

With Think Visual (1986) and UK Jive (1989), the Kinks lost a lot of fans. Phobia (1993) was a really good album, imo. The heavy metal-flirting title track is genius!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-03 14:56 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 3, 2014 16:36

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
keefriffhard4life
Redhotcarpet

The Kinks didn't really break through in America (or world-wide) before the late 70s. The 1979 One For The Road-video/live album (see the video above) is loaded with big late 70s hits, and was the first stadium/big arena tour the Kinks ever did.

The popularity lasted more or less through the Word Of Mouth-album in 1984.

Ironically, imo, their best albums came when the group was at the nadir of their popularity (1966-1976) - although I enjoy their late 70s-early 80s albums.

With Think Visual (1986) and UK Jive (1989), the Kinks lost a lot of fans. Phobia (1993) was a really good album, imo. The heavy metal-flirting title track is genius!

I also have 'Think Visual'...but you're right, they lost me after that, as far as new albums was concerned. Not fair really, I mean, I did stick around for quite awhile after Dirty Work...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 3, 2014 16:46

DandelionPowderman
Glad to be back smiling smiley

You were gone? confused smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 3, 2014 17:17

treaclefingers
keefriffhard4life
Redhotcarpet

OK didnt know that. Did they have a revival in the early 80s? I still dont see how they could compete with huge image and influential groups and artists like Velvet (second most influential band ever) or the Doors (like it or not, Morrisson will always be a huge influence and they had some truly great albums and songs) or the Who (always in fashion, always influential in fashion and music). I remember kids trying hard to be Morrisson or the Who in the late 80s early 90s. Kinks was just some group mentioned in articles about the 60s.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 3, 2014 17:19

keefriffhard4life
Redhotcarpet

Yes absolutely. Velvet Underground is still a goldmine for fashion, music, attitude, image, art etc.

The Kinks is a 60s pop band.

Date: April 3, 2014 17:40

Redhotcarpet
treaclefingers
keefriffhard4life
Redhotcarpet

OK didnt know that. Did they have a revival in the early 80s? I still dont see how they could compete with huge image and influential groups and artists like Velvet (second most influential band ever) or the Doors (like it or not, Morrisson will always be a huge influence and they had some truly great albums and songs) or the Who (always in fashion, always influential in fashion and music). I remember kids trying hard to be Morrisson or the Who in the late 80s early 90s. Kinks was just some group mentioned in articles about the 60s.

yes indeed...big arena tours (no stadiums though I think - not many bands even today can sell out stadiums though). What was great was they had a stellar back catalogue that a lot of 'new' fans weren't even aware of.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: April 3, 2014 17:46

They could not do arenas in the USA. They could do places like the Beacon Theatre.

Date: April 3, 2014 17:59

michaelsavage
They could not do arenas in the USA. They could do places like the Beacon Theatre.

Watch the video above..

Date: April 3, 2014 18:11

Point?

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: April 3, 2014 18:26

People's ignorance of the Kinks music and popularity, not to mention influence is disappointing.

Much more than a 60s pop band-even in the 60s! No band more successfully married British dance hall to British invasion with punk, art rock, arena rock, folk, heavy metal power chords.

Ray Davies one of the great lyricists of all time. The Kinks were huge, filling up arenas from late 70s to mid-80s. Word of Mouth is an underappreciated gem and Think Visual is pretty good as well.

The Kinks were also hurt by their 1965-1969 touring ban here in the States.

Posted by: moonlightaffair ()
Date: April 3, 2014 18:28

big4
People's ignorance of the Kinks music and popularity, not to mention influence is disappointing.

Much more than a 60s pop band-even in the 60s! No band more successfully married British dance hall to British invasion with punk, art rock, arena rock, folk, heavy metal power chords.

Ray Davies one of the great lyricists of all time. The Kinks were huge, filling up arenas from late 70s to mid-80s. Word of Mouth is an underappreciated gem and Think Visual is pretty good as well.

The Kinks were also hurt by their 1965-1969 touring ban here in the States.

Agreed. thumbs up

Date: April 3, 2014 18:36

Agreed but they would never sell out Madison Sq Garden. Would rather see them in the Beacon anyway

Date: April 3, 2014 18:40

michaelsavage
Point?

Bigger than the Beacon.

Date: April 3, 2014 18:41

Well that we be good but I am being realistic.

Date: April 3, 2014 18:44

michaelsavage
Agreed but they would never sell out Madison Sq Garden. Would rather see them in the Beacon anyway

That would depend on where else they were playing near-by on the tour and if the tour was properly promoted. Under the right circumstances they could sell out the MSG. But who knows if they'd even want to play arenas if they toured. If they did it wouldn't be unprecedented since they sold out the MSG in the past.

Date: April 3, 2014 18:45

Redhotcarpet
keefriffhard4life
Redhotcarpet

Yes absolutely. Velvet Underground is still a goldmine for fashion, music, attitude, image, art etc.

The Kinks is a 60s pop band.

They WERE a 60s pop band. In the late 70s they were more punk than the Stones. In the late 60s/early 70s they were a more hardcore concept band than the Who.

It was the hard rock-thing that eventually made them big in America (starting with the brilliant 1977 album, Sleepwalker).

Date: April 3, 2014 19:11

I can't embed videos today for some reason but here's the Kinks doc "Life On The Road" --

Thanks DP! thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-03 19:25 by big4.

Date: April 3, 2014 19:16

Remove the s in https:// in your link, big4.

Posted by: tklawson ()
Date: April 3, 2014 19:28

Redhotcarpet
treaclefingers
keefriffhard4life
Redhotcarpet

The Kinks were quite influential in the alternative/college rock movement in the late 80s early 90s, a lot of those artists were introduced to them from the early 80s hard rock era. Lola was a staple on classic rock/AOR radio. If anything took the wind out of their sails, it was the break up of the band in the mid 1990s. They were never going to be as big as the Stones, or the Who (of course, they influenced the Who greatly). But they were pretty successful on by thier own standard in the 80s.

Date: April 3, 2014 19:47

michaelsavage
Point?

The point is I thought you were baiting people in the Beatles thread, is it getting boring over there?

Date: April 3, 2014 22:07

So you are following me around. You must have an interesting life.

Date: April 3, 2014 22:09

treaclefingers
michaelsavage
Point?

The point is I thought you were baiting people in the Beatles thread, is it getting boring over there?

and I was NOT baiting people. get a life

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: April 3, 2014 22:10

I love the Kinks but can't see them filling MSG these days. I agree with whomever said they are more of a theater band these days. maybe multiple nights at the Beacon or Boston Orpheum but can't see them filling up arenas at this stage of their career.
This is a great boot taken from WGV stream

[www.collectorsmusicreviews.com]

Date: April 3, 2014 22:29

oldschool
I love the Kinks but can't see them filling MSG these days. I agree with whomever said they are more of a theater band these days. maybe multiple nights at the Beacon or Boston Orpheum but can't see them filling up arenas at this stage of their career.

You don't think they could draw 18,000 people for a one night show at MSG? I would disagree. You're talking about a band that hasn't toured in over two decades. The curiousity factor alone is high and as I said, if promoted properly the Kinks could sell out MSG. I think you're underestimating, if not their popularity, at least the interest level in seeing the band live. I don't think they could sell out many arenas but MSG is one they could.

Date: April 3, 2014 23:30

oldschool

agree

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1444
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home