Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 23
Re: OT: Anyone have the 1994 version of The Kinks' "To The Bone" live album?
Date: October 16, 2013 03:05

whitem8
I agree! Lola is an amazing album, in my top ten for sure for The Kinks. Another beautiful song about the American Unions, Get Back in Line.

[www.youtube.com]

Love the live version, but couldn't find it on Youtube. And how do you get the youtube link to show with the player in the posting. So many times it is just a hyper-link to youtube?

i just copy the address and paste it in my post

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 16, 2013 03:21

whitem8
I agree! Lola is an amazing album, in my top ten for sure for The Kinks. Another beautiful song about the American Unions, Get Back in Line.

Love the live version, but couldn't find it on Youtube. And how do you get the youtube link to show with the player in the posting. So many times it is just a hyper-link to youtube?

Occasionally, an "s" will appear in the "http" part ("s" as in "secure" site). Just delete the "s" and the clip will show.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 16, 2013 04:17

Ahh the dreaded "s". Thanks so much Stonehearted! Fixed it for me.

Date: October 16, 2013 06:26

does anyone have that late 90's purple like cover cd version of SOMETHING ELSE? if so does anyone else think a few of the songs sound like they were mastered straight from a vinyl source?

Posted by: dave9199 ()
Date: January 17, 2014 14:54

RollingFreak, I found the 1994 version if you haven't found it yet.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 17, 2014 18:49

dave9199
RollingFreak, I found the 1994 version if you haven't found it yet.
Was not expecting that! But yes, if you would be able to pass some of that along I would be so grateful. Email is RollingFreakStones@gmail.com . Let me know, thanks!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-17 18:57 by RollingFreak.

Re: OT: Kinks stuff - Kinks tour and more
Posted by: Woz ()
Date: January 17, 2014 20:10

I wonder about that myself.

All I can say as an American was that I was totally blown away in Hyde Park this past summer as I stood right up at the stage watching Ray and listening to tens of thousands of people singing Sunny Afternoon in unison. Home turf and all, but that made the hair stand up on the back of my neck and recall what a great band the Kinks were. nI'd like to see the Davies brothers bury the hatchet and hit the road once more. They could do a helluva theatre tour in the US, maybe not arenas but nice theatres for sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-17 20:14 by Woz.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 17, 2014 20:18

Woz
I wonder about that myself.

All I can say as an American was that I was totally blown away in Hyde Park this past summer as I stood right up at the stage watching Ray and listening to tens of thousands of people singing Sunny Afternoon in unison. Home turf and all, but that made the hair stand up on the back of my neck and recall what a great band the Kinks were. nI'd like to see the Davies brothers bury the hatchet and hit the road once more. They could do a helluva theatre tour in the US, maybe not arenas but nice theatres for sure.

As long as its not sad to see Dave doing that then yes, I would be all in to see them go around one more time.

Date: January 17, 2014 21:41

That goes without saying, and I heard a rough go of it at the shows he did last year.

Date: January 17, 2014 22:09

Date: January 17, 2014 22:31

That performace is better than the video I saw from the city winery. Go Dave!

Posted by: dave9199 ()
Date: January 19, 2014 20:58

Does anyone have the 2 cd deluxe version of the album Face To Face? I can't find a torrent of it. Willing to trade. Off topic but also looking for mp3s of vinyl singles from the recent Monkees box sets. Thanks.

Edit: Found it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-28 01:52 by dave9199.

Date: January 19, 2014 21:07

dave has gotten better the more performances he has done

Date: January 29, 2014 13:02

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 29, 2014 14:17

Kinks is all about Ray's voice..and let's say 25-30 smash hits...
listen to their 60ies albums I'm quite dissapointed..one good song here and there...same case as with Hollies or Beach Boys...

Just my humble opinion...

2 1 2 0

Date: January 29, 2014 14:42

<Kinks is all about Ray's voice>

Sorry, Come On - I just couldn't let that one pass! smiling smiley

And Face To Face (1966), Something Else (1967), Village Green (1968) and Arthur (1969) are loaded with gems. Revisit now! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-29 14:44 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 29, 2014 14:51

DandelionPowderman
<Kinks is all about Ray's voice>

Sorry, Come On - I just couldn't let that one pass! smiling smiley

And Face To Face (1966), Something Else (1967), Village Green (1968) and Arthur (1969) are loaded with gems. Revisit now! thumbs up

Sssssshhhh Dandy..!! I'm listening to Beatles at BBC here...John is smashing as always....smiling smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: January 29, 2014 15:00

He he, it was just a little "Don't forget that Dave sings a lot of songs as well-post".

Get back to your boyband now grinning smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 29, 2014 15:03

Didn't know he sang Wicked Annabella. Great song and track!

cool smiley

Date: January 29, 2014 15:08

His Majesty

cool smiley

He did, and it is indeed a great (and I say it again, even though people disagree) psychedelic track thumbs up grinning smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 29, 2014 15:21

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

cool smiley

He did, and it is indeed a great (and I say it again, even though people disagree) psychedelic track thumbs up grinning smiley

Definitely has some of the horrors one can get from tripping in it.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 29, 2014 15:36

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

cool smiley

I always found Village Green a psychedelic album. Sure, it doesn't have way out stereo panning guitars and backwards effects but tracks like Do You Remember Walter, Sitting By The Riverside, Johnny Thunder, Big Sky, Wicked Anabella, Phenomenal Cat, Animal Farm, and People Take Pictures Of Each Other to trigger some beautiful mental images.

I think it's the fact that the album is pretty much backward looking and reflecting times gone by that chimes with general images of childhood that were used a lot by (mainly British) psychedelic bands - The Beatles, Syd's Pink Floyd, Tomorrow, Kaleidoscope being prime examples.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: January 29, 2014 15:38

Don't forget Dave's compilation album "Hidden Treasures". Some real gems in there.

Date: January 29, 2014 15:47

Silver Dagger
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

cool smiley

I always found Village Green a psychedelic album. Sure, it doesn't have way out stereo panning guitars and backwards effects but tracks like Do You Remember Walter, Sitting By The Riverside, Johnny Thunder, Big Sky, Wicked Anabella, Phenomenal Cat, Animal Farm, and People Take Pictures Of Each Other to trigger some beautiful mental images.

I think it's the fact that the album is pretty much backward looking and reflecting times gone by that chimes with general images of childhood that were used a lot by (mainly British) psychedelic bands - The Beatles, Syd's Pink Floyd, Tomorrow, Kaleidoscope being prime examples.

Hear hear!

There are some psychedelic effects in some of those songs as well, though. But most importantly, there are clear MUSICAL tags on psychedelia that seers very clearly through this album (as well as on Something Else, btw).

I got a shitstorm the last time I mentioned this, so it's nice with some musical back up here, Mike grinning smiley

I have a theory of psychedelia as a musical form being perceived differently by europeans and americans, but that's another minefield - so let that one rest...

I think many get fooled by the title track, which advocates preservation and is kinda naive

Date: January 29, 2014 15:49

filstan
Don't forget Dave's compilation album "Hidden Treasures". Some real gems in there.

+ "The Album That Never Was"!

Just got it on vinyl - superb! thumbs up

Date: January 29, 2014 15:52

filstan

yup great release

Date: January 29, 2014 16:50

Their 60's albums are gems. All of them! From classic garage rock to nuanced commentaries on the British Empire. Wonderful music!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 3, 2014 07:26

Anyone spotted this ........... ?

[www.independent.co.uk]

COULD this herald a possible Kinks reunion at some point down the road ?

This is one of my great music regrets, that I never saw the Kinks live.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: April 3, 2014 10:05

<This is one of my great music regrets, that I never saw the Kinks live.>

Same here! I discovered them too late...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 3, 2014 11:25

I dont know anything about the Kinks and I discovered them far too late. They were always mentioned in the magazines or the books but still totally underrated by me. Is it the imo pretty lame bandname and their bleak image compared to Who, Stones, Velvet, Doors or Beatles? They failed to find new teen fans in the 1980s, 90s? Somehow their outside the retro era of the late 80s early 90s.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1781
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home