Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 23
OT Kinks Reunion Seeming More Likely
Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: September 22, 2014 17:27

Here's a new interview with Dave Davies. It seems like the old gits may actually pull this off.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Re: OT Kinks Reunion Seeming More Likely
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 22, 2014 23:16

Thanks for posting this, javadave. Now that Dave's spoken, this is sounding slightly more positive. My fingers are crossed very hard!!

Date: September 23, 2014 00:03

please tour

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 23, 2014 00:04

"Mick wasn't in the band for a major part of our career," says Dave.

What a load of rubbish. He was in the band for the part of their career that matters, 1964-1984, and was pushed out of the band at Dave's insistence.

He went on to point out that Avory didn't play drums on many pivotal early Kinks singles, including "You Really Got Me."

Not many, just most of the first album, and only because Shel Talmy wouldn't allow him in the studio without a Musician's Union card.

If the Kinks reform, Mick Avory deserves to be there.

Frankly, the only thing standing in the way of a Kinks reunion is Dave Davies. Perhaps his name should have been Dick, because that's what he's being in depriving the fans.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 23, 2014 02:04

Well, he might be a jerk BUT he did have a STROKE and it took a few years to play as he used to again...not sure he IS back 100% but I hope he's 90% back because I bought a front row seat to his show here in Massachusetts on the night before Thanksgiving.
The Davies brothers have been at each others' throats for over 35 years....nothing new. Money may motivate them to play nice!

Date: September 23, 2014 02:30

Health issues aside, it's just galling that Dave is now taking his case against Mick Avory's return to the Kinks to the public and arguing it in press articles, as if fans can be sold on having one less original member there for the reunion. Especially when you consider that up until recently the brothers wouldn't even discuss the issue in public. He's done this a lot in interviews lately--seeking the reinforcement of fan support by complaining about what an !@#$%^ Ray has been to him. Always playing the victim role.

Could you imagine if Dave Davies had been in the Stones and always demanding that he gets his own way? Charlie Watts would have been ousted from the group after Undercover and we'd still be waiting for a 50 & Counting tour, because Dave Davies doesn't understand the first thing when it comes to the longevity of a successful group: compromise.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 23, 2014 03:07

Dave has completely recovered from a 2004 stroke and has been touring on his own, but he's still unwilling to agree to any sort of extended outing with a reformed Kinks. "A world tour is out of reach," he says. "But maybe we record an EP or something and do a few shows. I would love to do something. But there has to be an element of joy involved."

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 23, 2014 06:09

Dave probably isn't wrong about everything (he is about Mick Avory, but he must have some other valid points) and he's right to probably hold some anger towards the group.

Feel free to tour on your own Dave, but don't entertain Kinks reunions. He's the only one holding things back, and they are all at an age where it seems you can just put things behind you and have some fun. No business wasting your older years arguing over petty things. Especially when its with your brother, who at the end of the day you do love. I don't know. Either get over it Dave and continue your solo stuff, or just have fun with what a Kinks reunion could be.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 23, 2014 07:10

stonehearted

What a load of rubbish. He was in the band for the part of their career that matters, 1964-1984, and was pushed out of the band at Dave's insistence.

He went on to point out that Avory didn't play drums on many pivotal early Kinks singles, including "You Really Got Me."

Not many, just most of the first album, and only because Shel Talmy wouldn't allow him in the studio without a Musician's Union card.

Frankly, the only thing standing in the way of a Kinks reunion is Dave Davies. Perhaps his name should have been Dick, because that's what he's being in depriving the fans.

+1. Dave's victim act really is pathetic. A Kinks reunion without Mick Avory would be weak.

Date: September 23, 2014 10:27

stonehearted

Mick only played on a few songs (one?) on Word Of Mouth. He was out of the band, but they used a previous recorded track. So they practically recorded 5 albums without him after he was sacked.

That doesn't mean that he should be in the lineup now, though. It would be sad if he weren't. Go, Kinks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-23 10:34 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: OT: Kinks stuff - Kinks tour and more
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 23, 2014 10:30

Sibling rivalries and sensitivities are tough to overcome but RollingFreak is right that life is too short and time is not on their side.

Date: September 23, 2014 10:51

DandelionPowderman
Mick only played on a few songs (one?) on Word Of Mouth. He was out of the band, but they used a previous recorded track. So they practically recorded 5 albums without him after he was sacked.

That doesn't mean that he should be in the lineup now, though. It would be sad if he weren't. Go, Kinks!

Yes, I believe it was Do It Again that he played on and also appeared in the promo video, but was fired (officially he 'retired') before recording of the album was completed, and it was all at Dave's insistence.

But guess what? He also plays on one song on the next album, Think Visual, from 1986--and it's a Dave Davies song. Mick had taken a desk job in Konk Studios and Dave was recording a track there one day when no one else was around and he needed a drummer to finish the demo, so guess who he called into the studio to play on it? Mick Avory can also be seen in in a small acting part this promo video as well, from 2:10 (that's him in the still frame below). Friggin' Dave!

Date: September 23, 2014 10:53

stonehearted
DandelionPowderman

Yes, I believe it was Do It Again that he played on and also appeared in the promo video, but was fired (officially he 'retired') before recording of the album was completed, and it was all at Dave's insistence.

But guess what? He also plays on one song on the next album, Think Visual, from 1986--and it's a Dave Davies song. Mick had taken a desk job in Konk Studios and Dave was recording a track there one day when no one else was around and he needed a drummer to finish the demo, so guess who he called into the studio to play on it? Mick Avory can also be seen in in a small acting part this promo video as well, from 2:10 (that's him in the still frame below). Friggin' Dave!

Ha ha, I had forgot about that grinning smiley

Posted by: ash ()
Date: September 23, 2014 15:55

Has anyone asked Dave if he'll accept Mick on drums if Ray agrees to Rasa being on backing vocals like she was for many of their best numbers ?
They should certainly open any tour in Cardiff where Mick demonstrated what a master of cymbal work he was by smacking Dave round the head with his hi-hat.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: September 24, 2014 20:18

Despite knowing that Dave and Mick had major issues in the past, Dave's comments regarding the exclusion of Avery on drums for a Kinks reunion are petty and shortsided. While I am a big fan of Dave's music he is prone to saying some really goofy stuff. Recent quotes suggest Dave is more the problem than Ray as it pertains to a Kinks reunion . One can only hope these guys find a way to move forward in a positive way. For me, no Mick Avery would be a travesty and it wouldn't be the Kinks.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 25, 2014 13:10

Agreed. thumbs up

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: September 25, 2014 22:41

I just finished reading "God Save the Kinks" by Rob Jovanovic (who did a nice little book on everybody's favorite album, EOMS, for the Thirty-three and a Third series.) Ray comes off as a real diva, especially during the "theatrical" era (Preservation, Soap Opera, et al) Then again, Ray's side of the story is told by other band members and associates. Reading the book made me pull out the good stuff for a listen: Village Green, Muswell, Arthur...

I saw the Kinks in the mid 70s and again in the early 80s. Also saw Ray's solo X-Ray tour. Personally, I have no interest in seeing the 80s, "arena-rock" Kinks ever again. No interest in screaming guitars and overlong "Lola" sing-alongs and "you Really Got Me" encores. But, if they could pull off This is Where I Belong, Holiday in Wakiki, Autumn Almanac, and some other "deep cuts" I'd be there in a second.

Date: September 25, 2014 22:50

I enjoyed GSTK very much thumbs up

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 26, 2014 02:03

Agree, good book. I liked the way he bookended it with Ray at the Olympics.

Being in that band must have been hell. How could they resist doing it again?

Date: September 26, 2014 02:03

i read rays most recent book this year. i must say best written book by a musician i have ever read

Date: September 26, 2014 10:20

Finally, I managed to get hold of a vinyl copy of Phobia. Looking very much forward to getting it in the mail.

Ray's book is the next thing on my list, keefriffhard4life thumbs up

Date: September 26, 2014 10:51

DandelionPowderman
Finally, I managed to get hold of a vinyl copy of Phobia. Looking very much forward to getting it in the mail.

Ray's book is the next thing on my list, keefriffhard4life thumbs up

you will love it. it reads almost just like an actual story

Date: October 5, 2014 13:46

Not much going on with Kinks get together, but Sunny Afternoon opened last night in the West End of London.

I'm looking forward to seeing it in a few weeks time and got rave reviews on its short run at Hampstead some months ago.

Date: October 5, 2014 20:00

Just found this interview with Dave back in April, just before his London gig, and he talks about a Kinks get together back then.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 6, 2014 07:29

Every time I see this thread bumped, I hope to see the post "son of a bitch, its actually happening".

Date: October 6, 2014 10:47

One day before the start of 2015, we will hear it is definately on.

Meanwhile,I'm gonna get my fix of Kinks music in a few weeks time seeing this.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 7, 2014 03:57

This is coming out soon:

[www.amazon.com]

Not sure though if there will be much on this that hasn't already been put on the Legacy deluxe re-releases...

What would be great is a good and long video documentary on the Kinks!

Date: October 7, 2014 04:40

Well, the selling point for the 5 CD set would be the "More Than Two Dozen Previously Unreleased Recordings"--which couldn't be the ones from the recent deluxe albums series from that era, because having included them on the 2011 remastered deluxe albums would mean that those songs are no longer "previously unreleased".

Curiously, though, no track listing is available, so I'll have to wait and see. I already splurged earlier this year for the 5 disc BBC package. But a 5-disc set is obviously aimed at more than just the casual fan, but I'll need to see the track listing before deciding. I'd rather just have all the remastered deluxe albums from that span of time.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 7, 2014 05:14

stonehearted

Curiously, though, no track listing is available, so I'll have to wait and see.

Here's the tracklist: [www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 7, 2014 05:20

From a quick glance it looks like those tracks have in fact been released on other releases, the Sanctuary re-releases, Picture Book...so not sure if there are any tracks on this that haven't been released. . .

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1890
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home