Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 23
Re: OT: Kinks stuff - Kinks tour and more
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 9, 2014 18:55

Beast
Great news about Dave's album and tour! He's worth seeing if his recent London show was anything to go by. Tonight I'll be attending a performance by his brother.

I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous of anyone that saw Dave Davies' relatively recent gig, why o why o why o why did I miss that ?

Anyway, tonight it's brother Ray .......... hail the KINKS !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: September 9, 2014 19:20

A quick aside- Recently read Dinky Dawsons book about his career as a soundman starting in the late 60's with Peter Greens Mac. Worked briefly for the Kinks- Dinky was shocked when prior to the first concert he did with them, Ray came over and announced it was his policy that opening acts were not allowed a soundcheck. Really? One of rocks premiere live acts with a fanatic following and youre too insecure or petty to allow your openers any soundcheck at all? Major loss of respect. What an @#$%&. (Dinky snuck a quick one in against orders- the openers were an unknown band named Steely Dan). Im a long time Kinks fan- first saw them at the infamous Constitution Hall punch up in DC on the Sleepwalker Tour and many times after.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-09 19:22 by roryfaninva.

Date: September 10, 2014 07:17

dave davies has been on a role since the 2000's

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 10, 2014 08:08

keefriffhard4life
Is he worth $60 at the City Winery in New York (a great NY venue where I've seen some excellent concerts this year)? I've considered seeing him, as I think his unknown Rock Bottom live album is a gem. But his live shows appear to be shorter these days, and he's also more expensive than other acts I've seen there (which have usually been $40). Like, does is Dave Davies worth more money than seeing Peter Wolf? The Dave shows in November have definitely interested me, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger due to price and the unreliability that it won't be great.

Date: September 10, 2014 08:22

RollingFreak
keefriffhard4life
Is he worth $60 at the City Winery in New York (a great NY venue where I've seen some excellent concerts this year)? I've considered seeing him, as I think his unknown Rock Bottom live album is a gem. But his live shows appear to be shorter these days, and he's also more expensive than other acts I've seen there (which have usually been $40). Like, does is Dave Davies worth more money than seeing Peter Wolf? The Dave shows in November have definitely interested me, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger due to price and the unreliability that it won't be great.

i can't answer live, i've never seen him. i was talking about releasing albums and the quality of it. i know he had some issues after his stroke and basically is getting back into live shape now.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: September 10, 2014 12:30

Saw Ray Davis last night at RFH. Great music, great band, very loyal fans, but his voice was not there really, hit and miss...

Date: September 10, 2014 12:43

MartinB
Saw Ray Davis last night at RFH. Great music, great band, very loyal fans, but his voice was not there really, hit and miss...

ray has the same issue other older people like greg kake has. months off between gigs without keeping your voice in shape. if he was to tour several months straight his voice would be ok after a few weeks. mick jagger keeps his voice in shape between tours and also had the luxury that most stones songs vocals are righht in the dead center of his range making it easier to sing. i don't doubt they were written like that almost on purpose so as he got older it would still be fairly easy to sing

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 10, 2014 17:30

Just heard about this. Might have to check out that Detroit show.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: September 10, 2014 22:10

5cd box set out in Nov.[www.rockol.it]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-10 22:13 by bonddm.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: September 10, 2014 22:15

I have to say the Kinks are the most criminally underrated band in music. I just read an article ab out You Really Got Me and the 50th anniversary of its release today. Listening to the song it really is very different from the material in 1964. In 1964 the Kinks were the only other British band besides the Beatles to write and release their own hits (Tell Me was not a hit, and The Last Time didn't come about till later). It's unfortunate that the everyone is concerned with the Beatles 50th anniversary of coming to the US (flash: 50 years ago today John Lennon ate his first french fries and hamburger in the US, sarcasm) and thus other milestones like the Kinks are overlooked.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 10, 2014 22:29

Speaking of the Kinks; has anyone heard "Catch Me, I'm Falling" on One From The Road, and its similarity to a certain Stones tune ?

Date: September 11, 2014 00:34

tomcasagranda
Speaking of the Kinks; has anyone heard "Catch Me, I'm Falling" on One From The Road, and its similarity to a certain Stones tune ?

there is a story to that but its done on purpose. Can't remember the story

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 11, 2014 01:11

RollingFreak
keefriffhard4life

My low expectations of Dave Davies when I saw him earlier this year in London were greatly misplaced. Unless it's going to break the bank, $60 is easily worth the gamble.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: September 11, 2014 09:36

Yes, I saw Dave at a venue called space in Chicago earlier in the year and
Will see him agin at the Chicago winery. The Dave show is very good and he
Is extremely appreciative of the support. No doubt he is humbled by his health
Problems. You will not be disappointed and your money and support goes in the
Right direction. You should go.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 11, 2014 09:58

keefriffhard4life
tomcasagranda

there is a story to that but its done on purpose. Can't remember the story

The studio version comes from the album Low Budget, released the year before.

Ray was confronted about this during his 1983 interview with Musician Magazine, and the interviewer pointed out several other instances of his recent string of borrowed riffs. Ray's defense was that in the case of Catch Me, the chords varied by a matter of sharps and so forth, and therefore were not the same, that it was inverted. Ray became quite irate, as the interviewer brought up instance after instance. "No, that's bullshit!" and so forth.

At any rate, it shouldn't matter since the Stones copped a riff from Party Line for their Connection song.

But, speaking of "riff borrowing", how about Ray grabbing a page from the Lou Reed songbook, as he makes a children's toy out of the Sweet Jane riff (you hear it in the middle verses)....

Date: September 11, 2014 09:58

tomcasagranda

Catch Me Now, I'm Falling is on the Low Budget album.

I remember a Ray interview, when he was confronted with that. He just shrugged it off and said: "If you gotta steal, steal from the best..."

Date: September 11, 2014 10:31

Happy Jack
I have to say the Kinks are the most criminally underrated band in music. I just read an article ab out You Really Got Me and the 50th anniversary of its release today. Listening to the song it really is very different from the material in 1964. In 1964 the Kinks were the only other British band besides the Beatles to write and release their own hits (Tell Me was not a hit, and The Last Time didn't come about till later). It's unfortunate that the everyone is concerned with the Beatles 50th anniversary of coming to the US (flash: 50 years ago today John Lennon ate his first french fries and hamburger in the US, sarcasm) and thus other milestones like the Kinks are overlooked.

thumbs up I just wish these brothers would sort out their differences and get this great band back together again !!!

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 11, 2014 19:11

Smithereens drummer Dennis Diken will be playing drums with Dave's band for the November tour, with the exception of the Bethlehem, PA date when Jim Sclavunos from Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds will be the guest drummer.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: September 11, 2014 20:54

I bought tickets for the 11/13 Dave show in Chicago. Hopefully, he draws a good crowd of Kinks devotees. Highly likely. Would rather see him be playing SPACE(a much better venue IMO) in Evanston, but what the hell.

Yes Paulywal, a proper Kinks tour would be pretty cool. I was listening to a great bootleg recording from a 1969 show at the Fillmore West. Rockin' show with some great jams, especially Last of The Steam Powered Trains. Dave is really good on this recording.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 12, 2014 21:41

This is the next best thing coming up in October in London.

Will be as popular as Jersey Boys and Buddy I reckon'.

Sunny afternoon .

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 13, 2014 05:43

Sad article in the recent issue of Mojo where Ray says him and Mick Avory have started recording, without Dave. Ray says, "he is invited, if he wants to come..." And Ray says it doesn't matter who is on the tracks it just matters if they are new Kinks songs... Oh Ray please! Come on you two make up and play together already!

Date: September 13, 2014 10:01

whitem8
Sad article in the recent issue of Mojo where Ray says him and Mick Avory have started recording, without Dave. Ray says, "he is invited, if he wants to come..." And Ray says it doesn't matter who is on the tracks it just matters if they are new Kinks songs... Oh Ray please! Come on you two make up and play together already!

AMEN !!

Date: September 13, 2014 19:28

Wasn't the Mojo stuff the comments that were false? The ones that said "we're going with or without Dave"?

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 13, 2014 20:19

I saw Ray many years ago and STILL I rate it as one of the best shows I'd ever seen...and now I'm planning on seeing Dave at the Colonial Theatre in Pittsfield, Ma on Nov 26, the eve before Thanksgiving. I have no real expectations other than hearing some great Kinks songs....and if he ever were to play " Waterloo Sunset", I'd fall out of my seat! Given the fact that he has come back from a stroke, I feel he deserves to play to an enthusiastic crowd!

Date: September 14, 2014 03:19

Don't know I haven't read any thing about false comments in Mojo. It is an article about their reunion in the latest issue (Kate Bush on the cover).

Date: September 14, 2014 03:30

whitem8
Don't know I haven't read any thing about false comments in Mojo. It is an article about their reunion in the latest issue (Kate Bush on the cover).

[www.theguardian.com]

Ray Davies has denied plans to reunite the Kinks “with or without” Dave Davies. The band’s co-founder has accused Mojo magazine of fabricating a quote about touring without his brother in 2015.

“Mojo is wrong,” the Kinks wrote on their Facebook page. “There will be NO Kinks reunion without BOTH Ray and Dave Davies. Ray Davies claims to have never said this.”

The Kinks’ statement was triggered by an interview Mojo published in their October issue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-14 03:31 by RollingFreak.

Date: September 14, 2014 07:57

Interesting. Seems bizarre and somewhat suspect. I wonder if Ray in fact said that and then feared it would torpedo a reunion with Dave? Mojo is usually pretty reliable. But I do hope it isn't true and that Ray is in fact holding out for Dave to participate.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: September 15, 2014 10:25

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: September 15, 2014 14:07

^^^^ That is hilarious/excellent!! grinning smileythumbs up
Did you create that graphic, bonddm?

Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: September 15, 2014 14:12

Message for the french public : we (Sony Legacy) organized interviews with Dave Davies last week. Coming articles in Guitar Part, Sud-Ouest, Guitarist Magazine and Rock&Folk (October/November issues).

YM

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1757
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home