Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 23
OT: Kinks stuff - Kinks tour and more
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 26, 2013 15:40

We've heard it all before, of course, but we've heard it from Ray, who is mostly full of shit. Hearing if from Dave is a different thing entirely, and means that there may really be some hope of it actually happening.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-17 18:53 by bv.

Re: OT: Dave Says Chances Are 50/50 For A Kinks Tour In 2014
Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: September 26, 2013 15:46

Look a Little on the Sunny Side

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 26, 2013 16:07

How will Dave cope guitar-wise, though? I've viewed a few recent clips of him You Tube and he evidently struggles post-stroke. Perhaps they'll have a back-up guitarist, or Davis senior can contribute a little more, perhaps.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 26, 2013 16:09

Big Al
How will Dave cope guitar-wise, though? I've viewed a few recent clips of him You Tube and he evidently struggles post-stroke. Perhaps they'll have a back-up guitarist, or Davis senior can contribute a little more, perhaps.

Blondie may be available.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: ash ()
Date: September 26, 2013 16:16

Much as i'd love to see the Kinks that interview raises a lot of questions.
Dave is pretty adamant he doesn't want Mick Avory involved. I should imagine every kinks fan does. Despite not appearing on the first few Kinks records he was a really good drummer as live footage from that era shows.
Is Dave really up to it ? He's made amazing progress since his stroke but can he play well enough or would they need an additional guitarist ?
Who plays bass ? I choose John Dalton but i can't see that happening.
How long can Ray and Dave be in the same country before they kill each other ?
If Pete Quaife was still alive i'd feel more positive but i sadly suspect the moment has passed.
Is the Kinks really just Ray and Dave ?
The original quartet was more than just them (maths aside !). They certainly lost something when Quaife left and it was only then (as Ray later noted) that they realised how valuable he was.
I say, Ray,Dave,Dalton and Avory or not at all.
If Dave wants revenge he could insist that in order to maintain the authentic Kinks backing vocal sound that Ray must pay for his ex-wife Rasa to come along for the ride !
I'm not really interested in a Ray/Dave +2 jobsworth session guys with no connection to the original music type act.
Is anyone here optimistic about this ?

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: September 26, 2013 16:25

ash
Much as i'd love to see the Kinks that interview raises a lot of questions.
Dave is pretty adamant he doesn't want Mick Avory involved. I should imagine every kinks fan does. Despite not appearing on the first few Kinks records he was a really good drummer as live footage from that era shows.
Is Dave really up to it ? He's made amazing progress since his stroke but can he play well enough or would they need an additional guitarist ?
Who plays bass ? I choose John Dalton but i can't see that happening.
How long can Ray and Dave be in the same country before they kill each other ?
If Pete Quaife was still alive i'd feel more positive but i sadly suspect the moment has passed.
Is the Kinks really just Ray and Dave ?
The original quartet was more than just them (maths aside !). They certainly lost something when Quaife left and it was only then (as Ray later noted) that they realised how valuable he was.
I say, Ray,Dave,Dalton and Avory or not at all.
If Dave wants revenge he could insist that in order to maintain the authentic Kinks backing vocal sound that Ray must pay for his ex-wife Rasa to come along for the ride !
I'm not really interested in a Ray/Dave +2 jobsworth session guys with no connection to the original music type act.
Is anyone here optimistic about this ?

No, I'm like you, I think it's lame when you've only got two guys from the group, granted they're the major players. Just like the Who, they should have gone out on a high after the 9/11 show when Entwistle died. That band now is not the Who, just like Keith and Mick by themselves would not be the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 26, 2013 16:35

A decent recent-ish interview with Dave Davies :-

Date: September 26, 2013 16:41

I hope they get Avory in on this!

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: September 26, 2013 17:06

No Avory - no Kinks. This is just lame and sad.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 26, 2013 19:00

What I don't understand is that while Ray has consistantly toured and Dave's been sick, according to celeberty wealth, Dave is worth more than Ray.

...come on guys, just get on stage together again....

Date: September 26, 2013 19:13

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 26, 2013 19:14

Ash has said everything I was going to say. I don't know why Dave is saying 50/50. Its totally in his court as to whether its happening or not. Ray has the time and would most likely drop whatever solo stuff he has in line for a Kinks tour. But yeah, you need Mick Avory and Ray has been adamant he'll only do it if Mick is in. And yeah, basically who is playing bass is the next question. They could easily go out with living past members, and it would be sad if that didn't happen, and I think its unlikely to happen if that doesn't.

Date: September 26, 2013 19:23

RollingFreak
Ash has said everything I was going to say. I don't know why Dave is saying 50/50. Its totally in his court as to whether its happening or not. Ray has the time and would most likely drop whatever solo stuff he has in line for a Kinks tour. But yeah, you need Mick Avory and Ray has been adamant he'll only do it if Mick is in. And yeah, basically who is playing bass is the next question. They could easily go out with living past members, and it would be sad if that didn't happen, and I think its unlikely to happen if that doesn't.

It seems that way, but i don't believe it's true, there was a documentary made a few years back where Dave, dispite giving his reasons for being very upset at his brother, said he would definately consider regrouping the Kinks. It was Ray that wouldn't allow himself to be available to answer that question, so when he talks about it at his solo shows, I think he is just blowing smoke.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: September 26, 2013 19:33

Having given the matter some thought i reckon the Kinks should do it with Ray,Dave,Mick and John Dalton and the support act should be the original line-up of The Animals (except Chas obviously)...there'll be blood everywhere. It'll be hilarious. Fight fight fight.
Who should be 3rd on the bill to ensure a total 60's bloodbath ?

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 26, 2013 19:47

tatters
We've heard it all before, of course, but we've heard it from Ray, who is mostly full of shit. Hearing if from Dave is a different thing entirely, and means that there may really be some hope of it actually happening.

[www.rollingstone.com]

hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley ............... would be my general reaction to a KINKS tour.

This news is enough to make me religious winking smiley ....... I shall start praying immediately winking smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: September 26, 2013 19:48

paulywaul
tatters

[www.rollingstone.com]

hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley ............... would be my general reaction to a KINKS tour.

This news is enough to make me religious winking smiley ....... I shall start praying immediately winking smiley

Give me Ray and Dave together, and I'm there!

Posted by: black limousine ()
Date: September 26, 2013 19:51

If is going to happen I'm very happy,the Kinks are one of my fave, and I was so lucky to watch'em in action long time ago ! I will be there !

Date: September 27, 2013 00:03

Big Al
well he plays guitar just fine. he however can no longer play and sing at the same time really

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: September 27, 2013 00:12

Dave doesn't want Mick. Ray wants Mick.

I say take the Mick!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 27, 2013 01:48

They may as well regroup without Mic Avory. Since Pete Quaife died, it can never be the original Kinks again anyway.

I can't understand what makes Ray so adamant about the issue, since he acquiesced the first time Dave wanted Avory out of the band and kept The Kinks going for more than 10 years after.

They may as well just pick up where they left off, with Jim Rodford on bass, Bob Henrit on drums, and Ian Gibbons on keys--that line-up was good enough for the 80s and 90s, why not now?

It probably has to do with control issues on Ray's part. Since he dissolved the band in the first place, he doesn't want little brother Dave calling any of the shots on a possible reformation.

If only Dave hadn't published that racy memoir when he did, The Kinks would still be around today.

Date: September 27, 2013 02:31

they need to play this song live if they get back together:

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 27, 2013 07:47

stonehearted
They may as well regroup without Mic Avory. Since Pete Quaife died, it can never be the original Kinks again anyway.

I can't understand what makes Ray so adamant about the issue, since he acquiesced the first time Dave wanted Avory out of the band and kept The Kinks going for more than 10 years after.

They may as well just pick up where they left off, with Jim Rodford on bass, Bob Henrit on drums, and Ian Gibbons on keys--that line-up was good enough for the 80s and 90s, why not now?

It probably has to do with control issues on Ray's part. Since he dissolved the band in the first place, he doesn't want little brother Dave calling any of the shots on a possible reformation.

If only Dave hadn't published that racy memoir when he did, The Kinks would still be around today.

Hang on, what band are we talking about?

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 27, 2013 12:03

After reading the interview, it sounds like it could be a disaster.

Date: September 27, 2013 20:12

So who inspired the Kinks to consider touring in 2014?

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: September 27, 2013 20:44

JumpinJackOLantern

Their accountants.

Date: September 27, 2013 21:06

JumpinJackOLantern

the thousands of other bands who got back together to celebrate big milestones

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 27, 2013 21:08

JumpinJackOLantern

No one. They've been talking about it for years and years, but it never happens, just like the latest talk.

Date: September 27, 2013 21:13

JumpinJackOLantern

There ain't no limit to what money can do
Money talks, money talks.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: September 27, 2013 21:30

The final lineup with Jim Rodford, Bob Henrit, and Ian Gibbons was the tightest version of the band but I have to agree about Mick Avory- if theres a reunion tour, he's entitled- if he even wants it!

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: September 27, 2013 22:03

reg thorpe
JumpinJackOLantern

There ain't no limit to what money can do
Money talks, money talks.

I'm sure it's different over in Europe, but here in the US the Kinks touring in 2014 wouldn't be a big draw. Less so than the living Byrds reunion that was discussed here.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1580
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home