Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 23
Re: OT: Kinks stuff - Kinks tour and more
Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 19, 2014 01:46

I had a front row ticket to his show in Pittsfield, Ma at the Colonial Theatre and we had a snow storm that day....NO SHOW, no sign of it being rescheduled! It was the evening before Thanksgiving and I was so jazzed...but now reading some of your comments I am glad I did not get to see him. I would have felt really sad to see him not at his best. Strokes are a BITCH! A dear friend who was once a fabulous guitar player had a stroke in his 50's and he struggles to regain his abilities.
So, that does not bode well for the Kinks reunion unless they get someone to play his parts...sort of a back stage " Blondie " on the Kinks tour....as a secret band mate!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 19, 2015 12:59

Nothing much on The Kinks front lately.

Just seen this article which seems to be fairly recent.

Ray and I are Talking

Date: February 3, 2015 13:33

Happy Birthday Dave Davies.

Come on Dave, you and Mick Avory can get back on the same stage together. >grinning smiley<

The Barbican date in video refers to last year by the way.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 3, 2015 13:56

Happy B'day Dave. Do what your heart tells you is right. Your an inspiration and have given so much joy with your life's work! Thank you!

Date: February 10, 2015 21:44

Ray is playing a couple of gigs in Bristol and Greenwich in London in July.

Reasonable prices for Bristol gig.

Ray Davies

Date: February 13, 2015 15:28

Looking at TV schedule and Ray Davies is down as a guest on Andrew Marr Show on BBC1 9 a.m. Sunday morning U.K. time.

Hope he has some interesting news.

Posted by: DD ()
Date: February 16, 2015 02:12

Indeed. He said that he and Mick Avory had been back in the studio together, which I'd read elsewhere. Then he casually dropped in to the conversation the fact that he and Dave, who he referred to simply as "my brother", had made some demos recently. Well, thanks for that, Ray, yes...

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 16, 2015 02:42

18 months ago, he said. He also implied that arguments between him & Dave were more the perception of the press than the reality. Thiz was all part of the enigmatic reply to the question everyone wants to know the answer to. And we are still none the wiser.

Date: February 27, 2015 16:49

Just seen this recent interview with Dave.

Nothing new ,but he seems to be keeping O.K.

Ray is playing Glastonbury Abbey on August 8th. Sounds like a lovely venue.

Dave Davies

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 27, 2015 19:25

For the sake of 400 posts for the thread...

2 1 2 0

Date: February 27, 2015 21:53

Is there a problem with posting stuff on Ray, Dave or Mick who are still Kinks in my eyes and ears ?

Title of the thread should explain itself.

Anyone not interested would normally just not bother looking. confused smiley

Date: April 30, 2015 00:52

I just dug into the Kinks Anthology. Pretty cool set with some extremely annoying packaging. It is a gatefold and the CDs are crammed into a small slit in the side making it very difficult to get the CDs out of the inner folds of the gatefold. SO annoying and cheap! The music though is fantastic! TONS OF IT! And good quality sounding as well.
I read one review that said it came with a 45 of You Really Got me and of course mine did not. I looked on Amazon and didn't see it listed as part of the package, so wondering if anyone else has the collection and did you get the 45?

Good stuff! Lots of alternate versions and quite a few not released before.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 30, 2015 01:10

No 45 in my anthology, just the CDs, and it's all fantastic!

Good to see that Shel Talmy actually did allow multiple takes in the studio so the band could get the track just right. The Dedicated Follower of Fashion sessions are great at showing just how much work they put into their music, even early on.

Date: April 30, 2015 06:18

i think the 45 was only in europe

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: April 30, 2015 06:38

Here's a cover of "Well Respected Man" in Spanish. Often these translated songs work but in my opinion, I think it's a bit weak. I could be wrong but I don't care for it.

Posted by: ChelseaGirls ()
Date: April 30, 2015 18:44

Date: May 1, 2015 04:24

Spent some more time with the Anthology while road tripping in Michigan. Some fantastic stuff on this collection! WHew the version of Its Alright is pure garage rock fantasy. Amazing. And yes, I too love the work in progress glimpse of Dedicated Follower of Fashion. Listening to that you really remember how amazing a vocalist Ray was/is. Lovely!

Date: June 11, 2015 19:26

Was on a Kinks related FaceBook group about an hour ago and posted a reply to a comment that said there was definately no problems with Dave and Mick. They had patched up there differences a long time ago, and only thing stopping a reunion is Ray and Daves work commitments and projects going on.

Ray, as well as doing gigs is quite involved in the Sunny Afternoon musical in London , which is rumoured to be going on tour later in the year and even stretching its wings further afield.
Anyway , she sent a reply saying she is Daves partner , and looking at her FB profile she definitely is.

So never say never I reckon. smileys with beer

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: June 12, 2015 00:39

she's been saying that for a while. She points the finger at Ray for being the problem

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 12, 2015 01:19

Braincapers
she's been saying that for a while. She points the finger at Ray for being the problem

I always thought that too......until a few years ago when I saw that documentary about a Boston journalist trying to get the Kinks back together, then I realized, it was Ray.

Date: June 12, 2015 01:23

I don't agree with that at all.

I have just looked again at her comments in response to me, and it all seems a nice family response as to how they are getting on.

She basically said that it is up to Ray and Dave how and when they can sort out a reunion of The Kinks albeit without dear old Pete Quaife.

Reading between the lines, they are all getting on fine.

Date: June 12, 2015 02:14

crawdaddy
I don't agree with that at all.

I have just looked again at her comments in response to me, and it all seems a nice family response as to how they are getting on.

She basically said that it is up to Ray and Dave how and when they can sort out a reunion of The Kinks albeit without dear old Pete Quaife.

Reading between the lines, they are all getting on fine.

They probably are now, but a few years ago when the movie was made, Dave basically said he was upset at his brother for several reasons, but he was be ready to play again with his brother, meanwhile Ray was the only Kinks related person who avoided the documentary like the plague....
....whatever the truth is, I hope there is a reunion next year. Meanwhile, see you in a couple weeks.

Date: June 12, 2015 02:31

See you at Hyde Park BluzDude. smileys with beer

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 12, 2015 02:42

It probably is Ray's fault.

But I've always thought he was doing it for the greater good. Anyone thats seen Dave Davies live will tell you he's kind of shadow of his former self. A great and fun show, but he's not the guitar hero he used to be. Doesn't have chops to truly carry a Kinks show like they'd need. To me, they are a band that doesn't have the luxury of a Ron Wood to pick up the slack.

Its a lot of work Ray would have do, who is also getting older. Dave can think and fantasize it would be fun, but the truth is he's kind of a ticking time bomb and could change on the drop of a dime. And I love the guy, but it seems it really is as trivial as finding the right time to get together for it to all work. I think Ray's apprehension isn't driving things forward though, and its not altogether unfounded. Dave isn't the same player as when they broke up in the 90s.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: June 12, 2015 02:59

Totally agree- a fantastic band, a national treasure with a wealth of great songs but Im hoping they stay retired from live performance. They ran out of gas 20 years ago, no need to flog it. Mission accomplished!

Date: June 12, 2015 03:17

On reflection, and thinking about it more,I completely agree about what you say about Dave.

He is a shadow of himself playing a live gig as he was way back then.

The original songwriter/singer/guitarist and original drummer in The Kinks with a couple more musicians, just isn't going to be the same.

Pete and Roger with some other very good musicians , and being on stage as The Who is a different thing altogether.

The top band in the world of course are Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie who just seem to be getting better since the start of this tour in 2012 as The Rolling Stones.

Don't really know the answer to how good would be a 'Kinks Reunion' even if it did happen.
I've seen the London stage show twice which I have to say is fantastic, and that might be the nearest thing we get to the original Kinks gigs, or else of course Micks band The Kast Off Kinks.
We will never see The Kinks in the way we remember them though, even from the '80's or '90's, but it would be nice to see the three originals on stage together again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-12 10:32 by crawdaddy.

Date: June 26, 2015 02:36

Saw Sunny Afternoon this evening, I really enjoyed it!
...Looking Forward to the Who Tomorrow night!

Date: July 11, 2015 13:12

Dave Davies is playing in London December 15th.

Will have to see reviews of his U.S.A. tour in October before I get a ticket, but the thought of 'Special Guests' is thought provoking. eye rolling smiley

Dave Davies London gig.

Date: July 11, 2015 14:50

crawdaddy
Dave Davies is playing in London December 15th.

Will have to see reviews of his U.S.A. tour in October before I get a ticket, but the thought of 'Special Guests' is thought provoking. eye rolling smiley

Dave Davies London gig.

i have tickets for his show on oct 20th

Date: October 12, 2015 11:41

Just seen this very recent article by Ray.
Talks about Sunny Afternoon and quite a lot more.
I didn't know Nicky Hopkins played with The Kinks for a while.
Had a very brief conversation with Ray outside Harold Pinter theatre on the last night for the original cast of Sunny Afternoon about a week ago. He came over as a nice guy.
Interesting comment put up by someone at the end.

Quite a long read and have to click on 'next page' at bottom for a whole lot more.

Ray Davies interview.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1969
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home