Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT--Paul McCartney live on Jimmy Kimmel Show
Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 26, 2013 10:23

Anybody see it Mon. nite? He played a New album song (which was good) then smartly played an oldie Lady Madonna the crowd could identify with. Only problem: set too short! The lead-in interview segment was good & Sir Paul enjoyed grandstanding for his audience. Liked paint job on his piano, too. Anybody else catch it? winking smiley

Re: OT--Paul McCartney live on Jimmy Kimmel Show
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 26, 2013 10:49

Thanks! I wouldn't have known about it unless you'd mentioned it. Found it on YouTube.

Image Credit: John Hill/Getty Images

When Paul McCartney and his Beatles bandmates performed an unannounced concert on a London rooftop in 1969 for their Let It Be film, the police eventually came in and shut it down. But McCartney and Jimmy Kimmel had the cops’ blessing Monday night in Los Angeles, as they took to the roof of the El Capitan Theatre, promising a free show from the one-and-only Sir Paul for the gathered masses.
Related

Monday’s Jimmy Kimmel Live! TV audience only caught two of those songs. After that, as McCartney told us when he hit the stage, “The rest is just for you.”

Story at: [music-mix.ew.com]

Date: September 26, 2013 11:07

stonehearted
Thanks! I wouldn't have known about it unless you'd mentioned it. Found it on YouTube.

Image Credit: John Hill/Getty Images

When Paul McCartney and his Beatles bandmates performed an unannounced concert on a London rooftop in 1969 for their Let It Be film, the police eventually came in and shut it down. But McCartney and Jimmy Kimmel had the cops’ blessing Monday night in Los Angeles, as they took to the roof of the El Capitan Theatre, promising a free show from the one-and-only Sir Paul for the gathered masses.
Related

Monday’s Jimmy Kimmel Live! TV audience only caught two of those songs. After that, as McCartney told us when he hit the stage, “The rest is just for you.”

Story at: [music-mix.ew.com]

you're welcome! figured he played more for the crowd. liked his shirt, wonder if stella designed it. Tues. nite Kimmel did the same with Justin Timberlake. cool smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 26, 2013 12:11

720p webcast rip now available on Dime : [www.dimeadozen.org]

Paul McCartney - 2013-09-23 Jimmy Kimmel Live 2013
Hollywood, CA

720p webcast (no transcoding)
h264/aac

Magical Mystery Tour (The Beatles song)
Save Us
Junior's Farm (Wings song)
Jet (Wings song)
New
Lady Madonna (The Beatles song)
Birthday (The Beatles song)
Another Day
Everybody Out There
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (The Beatles song)
Band on the Run (Wings song)
Back in the U.S.S.R. (The Beatles song)
Day Tripper (The Beatles song)
Let It Be (The Beatles song)
Hey Jude (The Beatles song)

I still don't understand how he can pull it off on stage with that "shattered" voice when he speaks...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-26 12:12 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: September 26, 2013 17:12

Hilarious. Whoever typed out the info for that recording on Dime must think we're idiots. You mean "Hey Jude" isn't a Foghat tune?!

Date: September 26, 2013 17:50

Watching it right now, excellent show, voice is a lot higher in the mix than on the iHeart recording. New songs sound better as a result...or I'm getting used to them, hehe...

Macca is pretty mind blowing on Birthday, how the heck does he play that intricate bass line and sing at the same time, and the guy is 71, just wow...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 26, 2013 18:25

I DVR'ed it and watched it yesterday. The pre-credit opening was cute, with Jimmy Kimmel looking from the roof at the crowd below and commenting that he didn't realize he was loved by such a big crowd. And then Paul joins him and comments that he didn't know Jimmy was so popular, either.

And then before the interview Jimmy's Mexican security guard, Guillermo, can't complete the titles of Beatles songs (in a quiz). And when he can't complete I WANT TO HOLD YOUR ____, Paul steps from behind the curtain and says in his ear, "HAND."

Here's a related story >>> [www.latimes.com]

Date: September 27, 2013 01:30

Watched the rest of it now and was pretty sad to see him struggle at times with the vocal lines on "Let It Be" and "Hey Jude", can't remember that happening before :-(

--------------

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 27, 2013 02:36

we're getting close to the end with guys like this friends. Enjoy them while you still can.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: September 27, 2013 02:38

shadooby
we're getting close to the end with guys like this friends. Enjoy them while you still can.

That's exactly what I was thinking watching this. I saw McCartney 2 years ago, and the difference between then and now is huge...

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: September 27, 2013 02:42

his voice is a bit rough this year, but i tell you, there aren't that many 71 yr olds pushing it as hard as he is. not only has he been touring regularly, interviewing, working on a new album and probably having to rehearse. it all takes a toll on the voice, never mind being at that age.

so as i agree his voice is a lot huskier than it was in the past, this guy is still doing more than most of his peers are.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: September 27, 2013 02:47

ifyacantrockme
his voice is a bit rough this year, but i tell you, there aren't that many 71 yr olds pushing it as hard as he is. not only has he been touring regularly, interviewing, working on a new album and probably having to rehearse. it all takes a toll on the voice, never mind being at that age.

so as i agree his voice is a lot huskier than it was in the past, this guy is still doing more than most of his peers are.

Not to mention each of his shows are verging on 3 hours!

Date: September 27, 2013 02:55

Bastion
ifyacantrockme

And it's 3 of the best hours you'll ever experience in concert.

Date: September 27, 2013 04:27

stonehearted
Bastion
ifyacantrockme

And it's 3 of the best hours you'll ever experience in concert.

yes, glad he can still get out there. cool smiley

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 27, 2013 04:33

McCartney sounded fine to me for live stuff. I saw Rod Stewart live in Vegas a couple years ago (he was great) and his voice cracked (very slightly) at a high note, and he said, "This dry desert air is tough on the vocal chords." Mick doesn't regularly swig water on stage for nothing.

In a book on Saturday Night Live the consensus—regarding their 1978 performance—was that Mick and the Stones did the amateur's mistake of overdoing it in rehearsals, so that Mick's voice was blown by the time of the actual broadcast. (His voice ain't great in that performance.) And probably some viewers thought, "Mick's voice is gone forever."

Context matters with singing. Opera singer Renée Fleming said, "Four days of the year will your voice be in perfect shape for singing. And those will be on four days you're not performing. I'm not joking."

Even consider Hunter Davies observing the Beatles (in his BEATLES book) singing GETTING BETTER together: "They could hear the backing through their headphones while they were singing but all I could hear was their voices: flat, grainy, hoarse and awfully disembodied. I remember thinking, `Why am I such a big fan of theirs, why do I think they're good singers? They're completely out of tune!'" (Davies toned this comment down a bit in later editions. I actually read this in Mark Lewisohn's book THE BEATLES' RECORDING SESSIONS.)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 27, 2013 07:14

Saw him last November...fantastic show.

But yeah, his voice was warbly for a few numbers. He doesn't give himself a break though. With such a large catalogue he could find easier songs to sing but he doesn't seem to want to play it safe.

He may have to though if he wants to keep touring and keep his voice.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: September 27, 2013 08:00

This is his encore shot by a fan in Vienna earlier this year. The camera work isn't the greatest, but if this is Paul McCartney losing his edge, now you know why he was so great when he was young, because he still tears it up at 71.

(Vienna, 2013)

(2011, when he was a mere 69.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 27, 2013 08:03

Long John Stoner
This is his encore shot by a fan in Vienna earlier this year. The camera work isn't the greatest, but if this is Paul McCartney losing his edge, now you know why he was so great when he was young, because he still tears it up at 71.

(Vienna, 2013)

(2011, when he was a mere 69.

undoubtedly...he's fantastic. BUT, he is losing it and of course you have to expect that. I'm so glad I was able to get to see a show. It was 44 years since he'd last played in Vancouver. Unbelievable.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 27, 2013 10:01

I haven't watched many recent videos, although I would say from what I've seen recently, he'll sound not great on TV, and amazing when you actually see him in concert. I remember I thought that when he played SNL a few years ago and he sounded really bad on stuff like Jet. I said "damn, its too bad he's lost it, but I'm happy I saw him a year or two ago when he still sounded great." Cut to that next summer and I got free tickets to see him. He sounded phenomenal! Totally night and day from 6 months before that. I think he tends to just be on and off at times, but mostly sounds great in concert and oddly just loses it a bit whenever he's on TV.

Date: September 27, 2013 10:17

Bastion
shadooby

That's exactly what I was thinking watching this. I saw McCartney 2 years ago, and the difference between then and now is huge...

Yep...his voice was fine in December 2009 and November 2011, which was kind of amazing considering how hoarse he's been sounding for years when he talks. You have to wonder if there isn't a little "enhancement" going on behind the scenes, I mean Roger Waters sings 10x better at 70 than he did at 45 so it can certainly be done without anyone noticing.

There have been rumours of shows in Europe in December so I'll definitely go if they happen, but you'd think the announcements would have to come pretty soon now!

--------------

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 27, 2013 21:08

Here's the concert, for those who couldn't download it:

Date: September 29, 2013 00:59

Cristiano Radtke
Here's the concert, for those who couldn't download it:

Thanks for this.

I don't know that I'm comfortable with describing McCartney as "losing it". I think what he's doing, like all of us, is just getting older. His natural voice has reached a lower register now as often happens, and when he tries to sound 21 instead of 71 he can't pull it off anymore. His playing, stage presence and stamina are still exemplary. I think I'd prefer to say he's changing, and due to who he is, he's doing it in front of the world, a world that wants him to be forever 25, as does he more than a little bit, too. As do we all.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: September 29, 2013 02:59

Date: September 29, 2013 03:07

His voice was definitely off during that Kimmel stream concert--but it's not a matter of the alleged significant recent decline due to age that some posters are claiming. His voice is just a bit strained, perhaps from overwork. When you just have an off night from a TV show as a reference point, you might think his voice is always like that.

Here's And I Love Her, from the show I saw in July, where he was in exceptionally fine voice, still sounding very much like the Macca we all know.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: September 29, 2013 03:19

He is 71 and still full of energy. Glad he still going strong. Long may you run Sir Paul

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 29, 2013 04:29

Too band Kanye wasn't in the interview portion of the Kimmel show. Kanye could have explained pop music to Macca.

Date: September 29, 2013 05:58

stonehearted
His voice was definitely off during that Kimmel stream concert--but it's not a matter of the alleged significant recent decline due to age that some posters are claiming. His voice is just a bit strained, perhaps from overwork. When you just have an off night from a TV show as a reference point, you might think his voice is always like that.

Here's And I Love Her, from the show I saw in July, where he was in exceptionally fine voice, still sounding very much like the Macca we all know.

I'm a huge fan of his, but I would respectfully say his voice in this song isn't much different than the Kimmel show. Still great, still Paul but the Paul of today, not Yesterday.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1317
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home