Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4546474849505152535455...LastNext
Current Page: 50 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 4, 2014 01:06

The Circus is great, but The Stones themselves are not the best act in the film. The Who completly blows away The Stones.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 4, 2014 01:12

Blueranger
The Circus is great, but The Stones themselves are not the best act in the film. The Who completly blows away The Stones.

Well that of course is the 'legend' for why it wasn't released.

The Who were excellent but I'd hardly say they completely blew the Stones off the stage.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 4, 2014 01:28

In my humble opinion, it's obvious that The Stones were too tired to deliver an energized performance. Of course they had been up and going by almost 48 hours by the time they got to perform, which in hindsight are a bit of a pity, since they play some very good songs.

I personally like Parachute Woman and especially No Expectations very much, but on the whole I enjoy The Who's performance a little bit more. My opinion, of course :-)

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: September 4, 2014 19:37

Blueranger
In my humble opinion, it's obvious that The Stones were too tired to deliver an energized performance. Of course they had been up and going by almost 48 hours by the time they got to perform, which in hindsight are a bit of a pity, since they play some very good songs.

I personally like Parachute Woman and especially No Expectations very much, but on the whole I enjoy The Who's performance a little bit more. My opinion, of course :-)

i like circus because of, as you say, parachute woman and no expectations, as well as a great version of jumping jack flash. plus brian is still on stage with them. it isn't a good setting for the stones though. a smokey club or a larger venue would have been better. plus i think lennon got into mick's head a bit and that impacted the performance.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 5, 2014 10:07

Blueranger

That's the "legend", but when it was finally released, I don't think it's correct. The Who's performance is great, and Lennon's even better, but there's nothing wrong with the Stones set, except that Jagger is pitchy at points, especially at the beginning of Jumping Jack Flash. I think that's the primary reason it wasn't released at the time - Mick wasn't happy with his performance. Otherwise, I think it's a terrific set.

Re: OT-Beatles Mono Vinyl Box
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 8, 2014 17:49

treaclefingers
ab
Yeah, I've been disappointed by Amazon's non-drop of the price since the preorder was announced in June. I usually jump on the preorder to get the lowest price prior to the release day. However, Amazon's low price has been nothing to rave about. Musicdirect.com is selling the Beatles mono vinyl box for $336.

Well, once bitten twice shy for me I'm afraid.

I'll roll the die here and see if I can't get them for mid-$200's in a few months.

The stereo set on vinyl is amazing, as are the stones first box set, so I'm sure these newly mastered mono's (I understand they are different than the CD Mono's) will be sublime.

24 hour sale on Popmarket.com for $319.

BeatlesMono

Still waiting for cheaper myself, but this is as I cheap as I've seen it so far.

Date: September 9, 2014 02:29

Hairball
treaclefingers
ab
Yeah, I've been disappointed by Amazon's non-drop of the price since the preorder was announced in June. I usually jump on the preorder to get the lowest price prior to the release day. However, Amazon's low price has been nothing to rave about. Musicdirect.com is selling the Beatles mono vinyl box for $336.

Well, once bitten twice shy for me I'm afraid.

I'll roll the die here and see if I can't get them for mid-$200's in a few months.

The stereo set on vinyl is amazing, as are the stones first box set, so I'm sure these newly mastered mono's (I understand they are different than the CD Mono's) will be sublime.

24 hour sale on Popmarket.com for $319.

BeatlesMono

Still waiting for cheaper myself, but this is as I cheap as I've seen it so far.

At least this is cheaper than buying the titles individually...but I'll wait until Black Friday/Christmas season...I think we'll see a real price break at that time.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 9, 2014 13:01

If they manufactured as many as the stereo, we can expect price discounts. Need to be patient.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: September 9, 2014 13:24

"The Beatles in Mono" is fantastic. Paid 339 Euros for it, but it's worth it. The search is over, this is the Holy Grail.
The quality of the vinyl is superb, no surface noise between the tracks at all. A fine, fine pressing.
The artwork and everything else is fab, too.

When I put on the first record, it blew me away. It sounds warm and powerful.
Pure beauty.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 9, 2014 13:42

Christ, this box I gotta get on vinyl...I already got Dylans with albums 1962-68 and that's a great one too...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 9, 2014 14:30

drbryant

If they manufactured as many as the stereo, we can expect price discounts. Need to be patient.

Yep, patience pays off. In 2010 I've seen the Stereo-CD-Box set for only 99 EUR as well as the 24bit-USB-Apple for 149 EUR in the SATURN Electronics chain store in Germany. Both of course new & sealed, the offer was during the vacation time in summer ....

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 9, 2014 15:06

This Mono Box is every thing I hoped for. Only minor complaint is the LP Sleeves are not as shiny as the originals, except for the white album. The sound is the same as the original UK pressings, I tested With The Beatles. In my opinion the price is well worth it. Lrix you're very lucky on those Saturn prices, I've never seen a decrease on anything by The Beatles. On the flipside I've seen big decreases on all the latest Stones boxes in the Luxembourg Saturn. Of course I didn't get to cash in on those because I couldn't wait.

Date: September 9, 2014 17:56

frankotero
This Mono Box is every thing I hoped for. Only minor complaint is the LP Sleeves are not as shiny as the originals, except for the white album. The sound is the same as the original UK pressings, I tested With The Beatles. In my opinion the price is well worth it. Lrix you're very lucky on those Saturn prices, I've never seen a decrease on anything by The Beatles. On the flipside I've seen big decreases on all the latest Stones boxes in the Luxembourg Saturn. Of course I didn't get to cash in on those because I couldn't wait.

Wow, I found the exact opposite situation. The Beatles stereo vinyl box dipped to $188 and really hasn't moved much higher than the mid $200's where it is currently on amazon.ca.

Contrast that with either of the Stones vinyl boxes from 2010...no comparison. The sixties box is well over $1000 now and the 71-2005 box over $500.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 9, 2014 18:40

Hairball

About REVOLVERĀ“s backside:

"Showing The Beatles trying to look like Oasis
but sadly packed with too much talent for that!" >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 9, 2014 21:08

The tracklist for the upcoming Paul McCartney tribute album is out now. BTW, I liked the Cure version for Hello Goodbye.

[consequenceofsound.net]

Four free solo Beatles songs on "digital EP" at iTunes
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 25, 2014 10:17

Re: Four free solo Beatles songs on "digital EP" at iTunes
Date: September 25, 2014 16:23

Nice Grip...thumbs up

2 1 2 0

OT: Dhani Harrison on Conan--marvelous rendition of Let It Down
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 25, 2014 12:54

Just superb!

Re: OT: Dhani Harrison on Conan--marvelous rendition of Let It Down
Date: September 25, 2014 13:05

That was very nice thumbs up

Posted by: ash ()
Date: September 25, 2014 14:18

Wow that's good. I'd certainly pay to see them do the whole All Things Must Pass album (apart from the Apple Jam). A fine tribute.

Posted by: bryanoakville ()
Date: September 25, 2014 14:53

Thanks Swiss, very much. Terrific stuff. Intrigued to watch them recreate the Spector production values. Really got into the guitar interplay towards the end. Talent abounds with this "and friends" lineup ... Especially their leader.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 25, 2014 15:01

Hands down the best version of the week. WOW! Very moving and touching, and very impressive how Dhani choose Let it Down, the heaviest song on the album, and just smashed it!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 25, 2014 15:38

that was great. just wonderful ..what a fine band and Dhani honoring his dad and with his own. he's a fine player.

Date: September 25, 2014 16:10

As Conan said, "That was fantastic...That was amazing!".

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 25, 2014 16:13

Pretty amazing indeed, they also player "Let It Roll" available here [consequenceofsound.net] - apparently the band he's playing with is called "Big Black Delta" ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: September 25, 2014 16:43

DandelionPowderman
That was very nice thumbs up

Nice version

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: September 25, 2014 18:00

Stones are ROCK, Beatles are pop

Date: September 25, 2014 22:35

alhavu1
Nope! I have come to the conclusion that there is no better rock excisting than coming from the Beatles 1966 -1970...

Posted by: ash ()
Date: September 26, 2014 01:36

alhavu1

The Beatles are many things to many people. The Stones are ROCK. Take that however you like.
Dhani did a great job there and i'm glad someone on this Stones board drew attention to it. It's not a great song but it is a really really good performance.
Great music is great music be it Charles Ives, Miles Davis or Kim Deal. If The Stones played Beggars from beginning to end with that kind of power and detail you'd be shitting your pants (and so would I).

Date: September 26, 2014 02:01

alhavu1

So the Stones playing a Beatles cover would be poprocks.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4546474849505152535455...LastNext
Current Page: 50 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1899
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home