Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4445464748495051525354...LastNext
Current Page: 49 of 223
OT- Opening chord to Hard Days Night
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 30, 2014 01:02

OK Beatles guys. There has always been a lot of talk about the opening chord. Randy Bachman from The Guess Who is friends with George Martins son. He has all the Beatles tracks on a computer.... here is the story and the chord.

Re: OT- Opening chord to Hard Days Night
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 30, 2014 06:21

Not quite. You need a piano, which is why it's impossible to recreate it with a guitar, or even with several guitars. (Bachman comes pretty close, though.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-30 06:48 by tatters.

Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Date: June 30, 2014 13:59

Didn't go, but here's a review of Ringo's show in Detroit last Friday. Interesting that he performed "Don't Pass Me By." I could be wrong, but I don't remember him ever doing that one on any of his previous tours.

Concert Review: Ringo and his All-Stars rekindle warm memories at DTE

By Gary Graff, The Oakland Press
POSTED: 06/28/14, 8:09 AM EDT

There’s a line in Ringo Starr’s hit “Photograph” about years going by, and people growing “old and gray.”

And it was an old and gray night — in a good way — on Friday, June 27, at the DTE Energy Music Theatre, when the former Beatles drummer brought the latest incarnation of his All-Starr Band to town for his first show on this side of the Detroit River since 2006.

The players have changed, as they do every time Starr goes out, but the sweetly sentimental “peace and love” vibe of the 25-song, two-hour and 40-minute show was the same, melting away decades into warm memories that generally eclipsed the fact that anyone there — musicians included — had gotten a bit longer in the tooth and maybe a bit past their prime.

The All-Starr concept, of course, allowed Starr and company to present a veritable jukebox of hits from the ’60s, ’70s and — thanks to the presence of Toto’s Steve Lukather and Mr. Mister’s Richard Page — the ’80s. It’s to the DTE crowd’s credit that it seemed as familiar with, and enthusiastic about, “Africa” or “Broken Wings” (which featured an extended guitar solo by Lukather) as they did any of Starr’s material, or Todd Rundgren favorites such as “I Saw the Light” and “Love is the Answer.” Lukather and Greg Rolie also stretched out on Toto’s “Rosanna” and Santana’s arrangement of Fleetwood Mac’s “Black Magic Woman,” with the guitarist wisely eschewing a straight-out Carlos Santana impersonations to instead spin his own flavor into the latter, as well as the Santana renditions of “Evil Ways” and “Oye Como Va.”

Despite the potency of the All-Starrs, however, Starr was still the ... well, star of the show — genial and self-deprecating, never scrimping on the smiles or the peace sign. While a pair of songs from his “Ringo 2012” album — “Wings” and “Anthem” were dead spots, his litany of other favorites compensated, including the show-starting rendition of Carl Perkins’ “Matchbox,” “It Don’t Come Easy,” the Beatles rarity “Don’t Pass Me By,” written by Starr, and the sing-along “Yellow Submarine.”

Starr and Detroit-born drummer Bissonette, sporting a Red Wings T-shirt for the occasion, powered through “I Wanna Be Your Man” with commanding precision. And after Toto’s “Hold the Line” rocked the crowd back to its feet, Starr ended the show on a high with “Photograph,” “Act Naturally,” “With a Little Help From My Friends” and a bit of John Lennon’s “Give Peace a Chance.”

Comfortable, heartstring-tugging — and finished before the sun had set — it was nothing less than an adult show that brought back welcome memories of youth, and was enough fun to circumvent deep critical analysis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-30 14:02 by tatters.

OT: George Harrison memorial tree eaten by beetles
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 22, 2014 16:44

At least I'm sure George would have seen the funny side of this.

Report from Spin magazine.

July 21 2014, 7:38 PM ET

A tree planted to honor of the memory of the Beatles songwriter George Harrison has been killed by actual beetles. As the Los Angeles Times reports, the living local monument fell victim to an infestation of insects that couldn't be bested. According to Councilman Tom LaBonge, the 10-foot-tall pine planted in 2004 bit the dust only recently, and a new one will be planted in its stead shortly.

Harrison's last years were spent living in L.A. — he died there at 58 in late 2001, and was cremated at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery. The so-called George Harrison Tree was accompanied by a plaque reading: "In memory of a great humanitarian who touched the world as an artist, a musician and a gardener."

It includes a quote from the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi: "For the forest to be green, each tree must be green"

The plaque (and the forthcoming tree) is located near the city's famous Griffith Observatory. The memorial has one very glowing review on Yelp (with photos), which now reads more as a eulogy to the tree that was:

On the day I was there, many tourists and visitors, in fact, walked right by it without noticing it at all. There is no signage that leads people to the tree, and the memorial plaque is near the ground and out-of-sight.

Furthermore, I didn't see any buskers or fans with guitars either playing "Here Comes the Sun," "Something," or "My Sweet Lord" (or any of Harrison's many other well known songs). Instead, with my own private thoughts and reflections, I enjoyed that pine tree in peace just as George, I'm sure, would have wanted it.

[www.spin.com]

Re: OT: George Harrison memorial tree eaten by beetles
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 22, 2014 17:00

who wouldn't smile at the irony...the thing that struck me though was reading George was only 58. I'd forgotten that sad point.

Date: July 22, 2014 17:21

I'm sure George would have found this hilarious!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 22, 2014 21:34

At least, Spin didn't said he was the bass player in the band, like NME and Billboard did.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 22, 2014 21:37

As my Dad used to say...proof that God has a sense of humor.

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: July 22, 2014 21:43

"that couldn't be bested", hmm another hidden Beatle reference.

Date: July 22, 2014 23:00

Floorbird
"that couldn't be bested", hmm another hidden Beatle reference.

Whether or not this was intentional, it's pretty funny...

OT: Tape of George Harrison Performing Beatles Songs in India in 1996 is Real
Date: August 6, 2014 02:26

Re: OT: Tape of George Harrison Performing Beatles Songs in India in 1996 is Real
Date: August 6, 2014 02:56

A tape of George Harrison performing several of John Lennon’s classic Beatles songs in April 1996 while in India is definitely real, according to a top Beatles expert. Beatles Examiner reported on the 45-minute tape featuring "an impromptu jam session with musicians at the Taj Holiday Village in Goa, India" that failed to sell at auction back in 2010. The site posted: "The music begins 11 minutes into the tape. On the tape, Harrison sings ‘A Hard Day's Night,’ ‘You're Going To Lose That Girl’ and ‘Norwegian Wood.’" Throughout the tape, Harrison is coaching the musicians on the chord changes to the songs.

Legendary collector and famed radio promo man, Dave Morrell, who's just published the first in a series of memoirs showcasing his life in rock, Horse-Doggin': The Morrell Archives Volume 1, heard the tape and described its content to Examiner, saying, "It's a wonderful listen. George teaches the others (the restaurant house band) a new song he's working on. They struggle. He's patient. When it doesn't come together, George starts by saying, 'Here's a Beatles number.' George is heard talking to the fellows. Then one hands him something that sounds like a ukulele. George then starts that song that the ‘Threetles’ do in (The Beatles) Anthology (likely 'Dehra Dhun'). Then they join in with him. He then starts to show them a new song he thinks they all can learn and it goes on and on and on. Then, 'A Hard Day's Night,' 'You're Going To Lose That Girl' and the one that sent me to the moon!, 'Norwegian Wood!!’"

The festivities soon end when Harrison realizes he being bootlegged: "Then he notices someone is recording it and he scolds them. He says that always happens and he hates getting ripped off. So he stops, signs the guitar and it ends.”

Although George Harrison was thought to be a bit of a hermit during his post-Beatles years, he explained that nothing could be further from the truth: "I just didn't go places where the press hang out and there was no point doing interviews because there was nothing really to say. That's how I got that Howard Hughes sort of image, because they just thought, 'Oh, well, he never goes out.' They said, 'He never goes out' -- but I go out all the time. I just don't go out and hang out in the nightclubs or wherever the press go.”

Re: OT: Tape of George Harrison Performing Beatles Songs in India in 1996 is Real
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 6, 2014 03:28

I frankly can't see what the big deal is, or why it would merit its own thread even on a Beatles forum. Paul does this all the time, in concert. Is it because it's legendarily bitter ex-Beatle George doing a John song or two that's supposed to make it noteworthy? However, George doing these tunes with Paul and Ringo as the "Threetles", now that would be something worth hearing, and would even be collectible. But with an Indian restaurant house band? Nah, think I'd pass on the bootleg. Is this suppose to come as a newsworthy surprise because George is showing a bit of appreciation for his Beatle past? He could be seen doing that in the doc that Scorsese produced recently:

Date: August 6, 2014 04:15

stonehearted
I frankly can't see what the big deal is, or why it would merit its own thread even on a Beatles forum. Paul does this all the time, in concert. Is it because it's legendarily bitter ex-Beatle George doing a John song or two that's supposed to make it noteworthy? However, George doing these tunes with Paul and Ringo as the "Threetles", now that would be something worth hearing, and would even be collectible. But with an Indian restaurant house band? Nah, think I'd pass on the bootleg. Is this suppose to come as a newsworthy surprise because George is showing a bit of appreciation for his Beatle past? He could be seen doing that in the doc that Scorsese produced recently.

Yes to all of that.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 6, 2014 07:40

The festivities soon end when Harrison realizes he being bootlegged: "Then he notices someone is recording it and he scolds them. He says that always happens and he hates getting ripped off. So he stops, signs the guitar and it ends.”

Ripped off is the status quo these days, George would turn over in his grave if he knew the extent of the loss of creative property these days. That being said I loved George's playing as much as John or Paul's and this jam session with George would be cool to hear. peace

Date: August 18, 2014 17:17

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-18 17:18 by treaclefingers.

OT-Beatles Mono Vinyl Box
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 30, 2014 09:44

Have you guys seen this video yet? Wow, dreamed of having something like this for a long time. Hope The Stones will do this, and they could even do it better. Release both Mono and Stereo in all analog with replica artwork. That would destroy me. I keep my fingers crossed. Here's the link, also a great site for information if you didn't already know it. Enjoy. [www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Re: OT-Beatles Mono Vinyl Box
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 30, 2014 12:25

Thanks for this hint.

frankotero

Hope The Stones will do this, and they could even do it better.

There was already a first (but remastered) try in November 2010:

Limited Edition Vinyl Remastered Box Set Collections

THE ROLLING STONES 1964-1969 · THE ROLLING STONES 1971-2005

[www.rollingstones.com]

Date: August 30, 2014 16:26

The Stones vinyl boxes have appreciated significantly since release. The 64-69 one fetches well over $1000 now.

It is an absolutely fantastic set. Several of the early albums/EPs in mono.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 30, 2014 16:46

I've been looking forward to the Beatles mono vinyl box for a few years. The Beatles sound best in mono through at least Revolver. The stereo mixes of the early albums are pretty much afterthoughts.

Date: August 30, 2014 17:07

ab
I've been looking forward to the Beatles mono vinyl box for a few years. The Beatles sound best in mono through at least Revolver. The stereo mixes of the early albums are pretty much afterthoughts.

I initially had an order in at $349 through Amazon, but just cancelled. I'd hoped the price was going to decrease but it's gone up prior to release date next week.

The thing is, you can buy the albums individually for cheaper than within the box. Also, I'd bought the Beatles Stereo box, which has more albums, for $229 (and then saw it drop to $189 - briefly), when it also started out at $349-399.

I'm hoping for the 'traditional' holiday price squeeze in Nov/Dec/Jan and perhaps then I'll look at buying, but I've noticed too much variability in the pricing with the stereo box. Same thing incidentally with the Beatles CD box set pricing, start high, then plummet for Christmas.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 30, 2014 18:37

lrix, yes I know about those Stones Boxes. But they are not exact replicas of the 60's LPs like the Beatles Mono Box. Also the price is higher than the all individual LPs combined because there's a book and a box, I would think. I'm not saying that to defend them. Anyway, looks like a fantastic release and maybe I shouldn't compare the two bands but I can't help to wish I could buy the Stones Decca LPs in perfect condition like these new Beatles Mono's.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 30, 2014 19:10

Yeah, I've been disappointed by Amazon's non-drop of the price since the preorder was announced in June. I usually jump on the preorder to get the lowest price prior to the release day. However, Amazon's low price has been nothing to rave about. Musicdirect.com is selling the Beatles mono vinyl box for $336.

Date: August 30, 2014 20:11

ab
Yeah, I've been disappointed by Amazon's non-drop of the price since the preorder was announced in June. I usually jump on the preorder to get the lowest price prior to the release day. However, Amazon's low price has been nothing to rave about. Musicdirect.com is selling the Beatles mono vinyl box for $336.

Well, once bitten twice shy for me I'm afraid.

I'll roll the die here and see if I can't get them for mid-$200's in a few months.

The stereo set on vinyl is amazing, as are the stones first box set, so I'm sure these newly mastered mono's (I understand they are different than the CD Mono's) will be sublime.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 31, 2014 10:37

The price on Amazon.com/ca was quite good and it didn't go up. Should be delivered soon. Yay!

Beatle & Stone
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 3, 2014 03:57

GQ Men Of The Year Awards - London, September 2.

Date: September 3, 2014 20:39

Good to know that Ringo is in town, maybe he will drop by Abbey Road studios tomorrow night for the Beatles Mono Vinyl release celebration......

Date: September 3, 2014 20:41

Just watched Magical Mystery Tour last night...I'd PVR'd it off of PBS a week ago.

Music was great, and an interesting curio but Rock'n'Roll Circus completely slays it.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: September 3, 2014 23:12

Stones so much better. Soooo much

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 4, 2014 00:21

treaclefingers
Just watched Magical Mystery Tour last night...I'd PVR'd it off of PBS a week ago.

Music was great, and an interesting curio but Rock'n'Roll Circus completely slays it.

I think it's a close call, but also Rock 'n' Roll has other artists from the period playing alongside the Stones.

Also interesting to note that Magical Mystery Tour actually got released soon after completion, whilst we all know what happened to 'Circus.'

The Stones set of songs within the film of course is good, and it is a live performance too. So I suppose you're correct but I actually like both films equally.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-04 00:21 by nightskyman.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4445464748495051525354...LastNext
Current Page: 49 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1784
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home