Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4647484950515253545556...LastNext
Current Page: 51 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 26, 2014 07:45

treaclefingers
alhavu1
Stones are ROCK, Beatles are pop

So the Stones playing a Beatles cover would be poprocks.

So that makes this poprock!

video: [www.youtube.com]

Sweet

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-26 14:24 by CaptainCorella.

OT: Dhani Harrison on Conan - superb!
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 25, 2014 21:45

hi.....in case you missed the original thread on this, which seems to have been completely torpedoed
into a million-page undifferentiated amalgam of largely puerile Beatles VS Stones dreck---ostensibly
because Dhani's father was in the Beatles...um.

Anyway. Here's the link. Just beautiful - superb rendition.

- swiss

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-25 21:55 by swiss.

Re: OT: Dhani Harrison on Conan - superb!
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 25, 2014 22:04

I agree with you but on the other hand BV want to reduce the amount of post...........maybe try to start a thread "KIDS from FAMOUS R&Rls" or something like that.....................great post though........

Posted by: ronkeith72 ()
Date: September 25, 2014 22:45

All I can say is WOW!!!! That was too fantastic not to want more. Is he touring with that band? If not, he sure as hell should be. Superb is an accurate depiction.... Far Out!

Date: September 25, 2014 22:52

ronkeith72

Agreed! I would totally see him live.

Someone on the buried thread made the awesome suggestion of Dhani performing "All Things Must Pass" in its entirety live!

Posted by: ash ()
Date: September 26, 2014 01:06

That was me and he should (but skip lp3). Great performance, great band. Not dis-similar to Brian Wilson's band at their best.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 26, 2014 01:28

I must say that was friggin great! Thanks swiss peace

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 26, 2014 03:32

Stunning! Brought a tear to my eye, a very poignant moving tribute to his father. And fantastic he chose one of the best and most complex songs off of All Things Must Pass.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 26, 2014 03:43

Here's some more clips: [teamcoco.com]

Posted by: moonlightaffair ()
Date: September 26, 2014 04:38

This is fantastic! Thanks for posting.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: September 26, 2014 06:18

Unbelievably good! Thank you Swiss!!!

Date: September 27, 2014 02:53

treaclefingers
alhavu1

Well here is the Stones doing a Beatles tune....peace

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 27, 2014 21:47

Beatles are pop
Rolling Stones are snap, crackle and pop and all sold out

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-27 21:49 by ash.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 27, 2014 22:26

I have been asked why I merged an off topic post into the Beatles thread. This is my reply, as posted on IORR, following up the following comment I got by e-mail:

> Dhani Harrison has nothing----nothing---to do with the Beatles.

Well that was a surprising statement for me... This is the reason why I merged the clip into the Beatles thread:

I am not a big fan of Off Topic posts. They have nothing to do with the Stones. I am a busy person, and even if every off topic might be nice and interesting, they do not add anything to those who are mainly visiting IORR for Stones-related discussions.

If there are too many Off Topic posts then I will just delete them. That might happen with this OT post at any time of course. It is standard procedyre. If 50% or more of page one of the IORR Tell Me forum is off topic then I should clean up, if I have time. Usually I don't have time...

- The clip image says "George Harrison Week"
- George Harrison - guitar player of The Beatles
- Dhani Harrison is the son of George Harrison
- "Let It Down" is a song from "All Things Must Pass" by George Harrison
- Most Beatles fan would agree on the fact that George Harrison is Beatles related

I don't want separate threads about George Harrison, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Ringo Starr, Dhani Harrison, Zak Starkey, Linda McCarntey and any other Beatles related person in a ton of separate OFF TOPIC threads on IORR. It is very simple. There is not space for a zillion OFF TOPIC Beatles related threads on IORR. I am sure there are tons of Beatles or Dhani Harrison related sites where these threads will be a lot more welcome.

Finally, for info, I merge posts into threads when they have been REPORTED to me as a possible merge. Then I spend some time on it, not hours, but some time, then I merge, delete or ignore. To run a site like IORR as a moderator with a full time job and a family and a private life you need to be fast, accurate and do fast decitions. This was for sure an OFF TOPIC post, now I have much time explaining the general IORR forum moderation policy. I will not have time to explain every single IORR moderation action for the future unfortunately.

Nothing personal, it just works that way. And in four weeks as of today, we have more important items to talk about on IORR.

Best regards
Bjornulf
IORR Editor & moderator

Date: September 27, 2014 23:28

Naturalust
treaclefingers
alhavu1

[www.youtube.com]

And what if the Beatles cover the Stones rockspop? grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 28, 2014 03:25

NICOS
Naturalust
treaclefingers
alhavu1

[www.youtube.com]

That's be the day that hell freezes over.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: September 28, 2014 05:23

treaclefingers
NICOS
Naturalust
treaclefingers
alhavu1

[www.youtube.com]

Lennon's ego and jealousy of the Stones, and McCartney's ego wouldn't let that happen.

Date: September 28, 2014 10:04

bv
Finally, for info, I merge posts into threads when they have been REPORTED to me

bv, you have the right to do whatever you want - this was a super cool performance of Dhani Harrison
that people won't see now because buried in a 51-page thread -- but you have the right to do whatever
you want. As does the person who had a bug up his or her bottom leading to reporting it winking smiley

Date: September 28, 2014 20:55

MKjan
treaclefingers
NICOS
Naturalust
treaclefingers
alhavu1

[www.youtube.com]

Lennon's ego and jealousy of the Stones, and McCartney's ego wouldn't let that happen.

Well it happened.....Lennon wearing a stones T-Shirt and McCartney sings a tune.................next step is Paul singing Ruby Tuesday...;o)

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 29, 2014 06:58

ash
Beatles are pop
Rolling Stones are snap, crackle and pop and all sold out

[www.youtube.com]

What a great track - it just MOVES. It wouldn't have sounded out of place on the Rolling Stones No. 2. Love it. It's not often that you hear a commercial jingle and then wish that it would just go on for a few minutes.

Date: September 29, 2014 10:06

Have to agree. I've always loved that Rice Krispies jingle. It's up there with Route 66 and Carol from the first album. Top stuff. Mind you i prefer Frosties for breakfast.

Date: September 29, 2014 10:34

NICOS
MKjan
treaclefingers
NICOS
Naturalust
treaclefingers
alhavu1

[www.youtube.com]

Well it happened.....Lennon wearing a stones T-Shirt and McCartney sings a tune.................next step is Paul singing Ruby Tuesday...;o)

….and no doubt Apple and Paul will "gift" it to 500 million….grinning smiley

Date: September 29, 2014 23:56

MKjan
NICOS
MKjan
treaclefingers
NICOS
Naturalust
treaclefingers
alhavu1

[www.youtube.com]

Egos and jealousy? I always thought it was a healthy competition and the Stones were always a step or two behind the Beatles. Paul talks about it in his latest Howard Stern interview. peace

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: September 30, 2014 18:05

I haven't read through this entire thread, but Beatles vs. Stones here is my take (not that it holds much weight) as a huge fan of both:

The Beatles were generally old school and melodic with their song writing. Stuff that could have been written in the 40's and 50's and sung by the crooners of that era. Examples are Elanor Rigby, Yesterday, When I'm Sixty Four, The Long and Winding Road..............the McCartney influence. I believe I read where his father played in a 40's big band or something. That stuff was probably etched in his mind.

By the same token but to a lesser extent they could rock the house down with some heavy stuff. Hey Bulldog, Hapiness is a Warm Gun, Everybody's Got Something to Hide, even some early stuff like Roll Over Beethoven. They could rock too. The Lennon influence, he was a balls to the wall rocker at heart.

The Stones were more of a one trick pony. Jagger and Richards having the same roots musically. They could throw in a beautiful ballad every now and then, but generally they wrote and performed great rock songs. To me it is their overall sound that makes them so special. Keith's razor sharp riffs, Charlie's impeccable drumming, and the blend of Mick and Keith singing together which was huge.The song Rocks Off is an example. What a sound, what an ATTITUDE. It captures everything that made them great. A punk song and style to the core before punk, which they invented.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 1, 2014 00:03

Nah the Stones were "old school" as well. 30's, 40's and 50's - Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Slim Harpo, Reverend Wilkins. the difference was the school was located on the other side of the railway tracks.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: October 1, 2014 04:30

swiss

- swiss

Once again, swiss, you introduce me to another beautiful song. Thanks for the post & I hope all is well with you.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 1, 2014 06:22

Also check out the stripped down version from Beware of ABKCO, also on the reissue of ATMP with some added organ:

Brilliant sublime beauty.

Date: October 1, 2014 09:34

MILKYWAY
swiss

- swiss

Once again, swiss, you introduce me to another beautiful song. Thanks for the post & I hope all is well with you.

So glad you found this post MILYWAY - glad you like the song! Hope all is well with you also smiling smiley

Date: October 1, 2014 10:06

Naturalust
MKjan
NICOS
MKjan
treaclefingers
NICOS
Naturalust
treaclefingers
alhavu1

[www.youtube.com]

Egos and jealousy? I always thought it was a healthy competition and the Stones were always a step or two behind the Beatles. Paul talks about it in his latest Howard Stern interview. peace

I think it was a healthy competition, but also ego's and jealousy involved.
Human nature, you know. Even worked both ways.

Posted by: Anderson ()
Date: October 2, 2014 00:40

beachbreak
The Beatles were generally old school and melodic with their song writing. Stuff that could have been written in the 40's and 50's and sung by the crooners of that era. Examples are Elanor Rigby, Yesterday, When I'm Sixty Four, The Long and Winding Road..............the McCartney influence. I believe I read where his father played in a 40's big band or something. That stuff was probably etched in his mind.

By the same token but to a lesser extent they could rock the house down with some heavy stuff. Hey Bulldog, Hapiness is a Warm Gun, Everybody's Got Something to Hide, even some early stuff like Roll Over Beethoven. They could rock too. The Lennon influence, he was a balls to the wall rocker at heart.

I Saw Her Standing There, Long Tall Sally, Can't Buy Me Love, She's A Woman, I'm Down, Sgt Pepper's, Back In The USSR, Helter Skelter, I've Got A Feeling, Oh Darling, Smile Away, Monkberry Moon Delight, Big Barn Bed, Get on the Right Thing, Jet, Let Me Roll It, Rockshow, Letting Go, Beware My Love, I've HAd Enough, Getting Closer, Old Siam Sir, To You, So Glad To See You Here

Vs

Anna, If I Fell, This Boy, Yes It Is, You Got To Hide Your Love Away, Norwegian Wood, I'm Only Sleeping, Julia, I'm So Tired, Across The Universe, Because, Imagine, Jealous Guy, #9 Dream, Woman etc and lots of solo stuff I cannot remember. And Paul also has a lot of influence and indeed contributions on many of John's rockier Beatles numbers.

They were both rockers and both great at ballads. The Lennon vs Mccartney thing is nearly always portayed way too stereotypically. Probably very much due to Lennon's big bad ass mouth in the press during the early seventies. Great peace loving guy, wasn't he; badmouthing someone who still to this day has nothing else than positive things to say about him, in the press.

The Beatles were fab! John was fab, Paul is fab and the Stones are fab! Both are rock, and both are pop! No reason not to like them all!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4647484950515253545556...LastNext
Current Page: 51 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1953
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home