Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 223
Re: Beatles v Stones
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 2, 2014 23:07

Blueranger
drbryant
I was 8 years old, and I had a decision to make. I went with what my heart told me sounded better.

You can always distort things.
Hello Goodbye is pretty lightweight. Jumpin Jack Flash is the best Stones song.
To compare these two tracks is unfair.

You can also take Gomper and pair it next to A Day In The Life, to make people believe that The Stones is all hippie-rubbish. It's too easy.

Yes I agree...should be comparing Sing This Song All Together (See What Happens) to be fair.

Re: OT: A Beatles Appreciation Thread For Stones Fans
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 2, 2014 23:08

michaelsavage
jjo
Who / what is Michael Savage?

Now THAT is original!

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: April 2, 2014 23:11

stonehearted
DandelionPowderman
<After 1965, John Lennon sang on only two A-sides--Nowhere Man in 1966 and All You Need Is Love in 1967. Ballad of John and Yoko was basically a John solo track with Paul contributing, though it is credited as a Beatles release.>

There were quite a few songs with Lennon on lead vocals that could very well have been A-sides (quality-wise), but some of those might have been Lennon solo-tracks as well. Strawberry Fields Forever, A Day In The Life, Julia and Across The Universe come to mind.

Well, it didn't matter that Strawberry Fields wasn't an A-side, since at the time the market was hungry enough for new Beatles singles that they would have made both sides hits, which is exactly what happened. However, depending on where you were, I recall that Strawberry Fields only got as high as #8 but Penny Lane was #1. A Day In The Life is a bit hard to dance to, unless you're a bit dizzy. winking smiley

Have you tried to dance to Penny Lane? winking smiley

Date: April 2, 2014 23:47

DandelionPowderman
stonehearted
DandelionPowderman
<After 1965, John Lennon sang on only two A-sides--Nowhere Man in 1966 and All You Need Is Love in 1967. Ballad of John and Yoko was basically a John solo track with Paul contributing, though it is credited as a Beatles release.>

There were quite a few songs with Lennon on lead vocals that could very well have been A-sides (quality-wise), but some of those might have been Lennon solo-tracks as well. Strawberry Fields Forever, A Day In The Life, Julia and Across The Universe come to mind.

Well, it didn't matter that Strawberry Fields wasn't an A-side, since at the time the market was hungry enough for new Beatles singles that they would have made both sides hits, which is exactly what happened. However, depending on where you were, I recall that Strawberry Fields only got as high as #8 but Penny Lane was #1. A Day In The Life is a bit hard to dance to, unless you're a bit dizzy. winking smiley

Have you tried to dance to Penny Lane? winking smiley

I think the only proper dance move on that one is to sway from side to side.

Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 3, 2014 00:15

I don't know about dancing to Penny Lane, but you can certainly walk to it...

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 3, 2014 00:43

nightskyman
MKjan
Beatles win on cuteness and first to do Ed Sullivan, and hugging stuffed animals.
Stones win on music, sound, songwriting,etc.

Joking aside, clearly more to it than that. You marginalize the entire Beatles album catalogue while inflating whatever the Stones did.

I think both are great, or are equals. Whether they liked or not they were intimately connected throughout the sixties (see Andrew Oldham, 'I wanna be your man,' 'We Love You,' Maharishi, etc.). They even used the same film director (Michael Lindsay-Hogg).

Yes, I marginalized the Beatles. Not as a Beatle hater, but because objectivity
requires Beatlemania be deflated and the sizable degree they are overrated be
bought down to earth. Underneath all the hoopla, they were just a band….imo a
scattering of good songs but many not so good songs that just got by on blind
worship and good marketing.Lets give a round of applause to George Martin….the
idea that a band caged in a studio and not a performing band is worthy enough….is
just more lingering Beatlemania. Too much hype.
The Stones on the other hand……wow!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 3, 2014 01:48

Braincapers
stonehearted
... Ballad of John and Yoko was basically a John solo track with Paul contributing, though it is credited as a Beatles release.

Sounds like a collaboration to me. from wiki

The song was recorded without George Harrison (who was on holiday) and Ringo Starr (who was filming The Magic Christian). In his biography, McCartney recalls that Lennon had a sudden inspiration for the song and had suggested that the two of them should record it immediately, without waiting for the other Beatles to return.

Personnel Per Ian MacDonald and Mark Lewisohn:

John Lennon – lead vocal, lead guitars, acoustic guitar, percussion
Paul McCartney – harmony vocal, bass, drums, piano, maracas

It would have been a collaboration had McCartney written part of it, like he did with A Day In The Life. What he did was provide a rhythm section and a few assorted garnishings. He likely wasn't even responsible for the arrangements, as it doesn't have any of Macca's trademark melodic bridges. It's simply a song and a melody that John composed himself and that Paul played on because he was the only one there, and John was just in a hurry to record it. Not a true Beatles recording per se.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 3, 2014 02:00

Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane was a double A side.

Date: April 3, 2014 02:04

<<Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane was a double A side.>>

Then what was on the B-side?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 3, 2014 02:07

stonehearted

There wasn't a B side.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 3, 2014 02:18

Here's what I found about this release:

"George Martin later regretted not including the two songs on The Beatles' Sgt Pepper album.

The only reason that Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane didn't go onto the new album was a feeling that if we issued a single, it shouldn't go onto an album. That was a crazy idea, and I'm afraid I was partly responsible. It's nonsense these days, but in those days it was an aspect that we'd try to give the public value for money.
The idea of a double A side came from me and Brian, really. Brian was desperate to recover popularity, and so we wanted to make sure that we had a marvellous seller. He came to me and said, 'I must have a really great single. What have you got?' I said, 'Well, I've got three tracks - and two of them are the best tracks they've ever made. We could put the two together and make a smashing single.' We did, and it was a smashing single - but it was also a dreadful mistake. We would have sold far more and got higher up in the charts if we had issued one of those with, say, When I'm Sixty-Four on the back." George Martin - Anthology

[www.beatlesbible.com]

And here's some label pics: [www.discogs.com]

Date: April 3, 2014 02:29

His Majesty
stonehearted

There wasn't a B side.

What a rip-off. One whole side of a 45 rpm single and they just leave it blank.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 3, 2014 03:54

The other factor behind Strawberry Fields and Penny lane was originally John and Paul were considering writing an album about their childhoods and liverpool, and Strawberry F and PL were the first two they did, then lost interest and needed something out asap. Paul then went to the US and on the plane back to London he came up with the idea of Sgt Peppers...

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: April 3, 2014 04:06

whitem8
The other factor behind Strawberry Fields and Penny lane was originally John and Paul were considering writing an album about their childhoods and liverpool, and Strawberry F and PL were the first two they did, then lost interest and needed something out asap. Paul then went to the US and on the plane back to London he came up with the idea of Sgt Peppers...

Unless you believe McCartney's story in his memoirs 'Many Years From Now' where he says he and Mal Evans (Beatles roadie) were in Africa on safari and noticed salt and pepper containers at some fancy restaurant of the costly hotel they were at..and gave rise to idea of this Sgt. Pepper.

Date: April 3, 2014 04:11

MKjan
nightskyman
MKjan
Beatles win on cuteness and first to do Ed Sullivan, and hugging stuffed animals.
Stones win on music, sound, songwriting,etc.

Joking aside, clearly more to it than that. You marginalize the entire Beatles album catalogue while inflating whatever the Stones did.

I think both are great, or are equals. Whether they liked or not they were intimately connected throughout the sixties (see Andrew Oldham, 'I wanna be your man,' 'We Love You,' Maharishi, etc.). They even used the same film director (Michael Lindsay-Hogg).

Yes, I marginalized the Beatles. Not as a Beatle hater, but because objectivity
requires Beatlemania be deflated and the sizable degree they are overrated be
bought down to earth. Underneath all the hoopla, they were just a band….imo a
scattering of good songs but many not so good songs that just got by on blind
worship and good marketing.Lets give a round of applause to George Martin….the
idea that a band caged in a studio and not a performing band is worthy enough….is
just more lingering Beatlemania. Too much hype.
The Stones on the other hand……wow!

Well imo I think the Beatles wrote many more than just scattering of great songs...and George Martin was a nice add on as slick producer.

Also, I think it is important to point out the circumstances that existed at the time...that it was hard for the Beatles to tour in later years when all they had were huge stadiums filled with screaming teen girls.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-03 04:29 by nightskyman.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 3, 2014 09:34

Adding Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields to Sgt. Pepper would not have made it a better album. Penny Lane is too similar to Getting Better and Fixing a Hole, two inferior tracks saved by great bass and guitar lines. Strawberry Fields is great, but where would fit another slow track? The album drags enough already during the stretch from "She's Leaving Home" to "When I'm 64". They fit better thematically on MMT, which is a brilliant memento of the psychedelic era.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 3, 2014 09:41

Blueranger

[b

You can also take Gomper and pair it next to A Day In The Life, to make people believe that The Stones is all hippie-rubbish[/b]. It's too easy.

To me "Gomper" is a key track to make THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST not only feature a couple of grand songs, but become a great album as such. Experimental, yes. Hippie, not especially to me, but I will not protest. Rubbish, not at all!

Date: April 3, 2014 16:02

Witness
Blueranger

[b

You can also take Gomper and pair it next to A Day In The Life, to make people believe that The Stones is all hippie-rubbish[/b]. It's too easy.

To me "Gomper" is a key track to make THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST not only feature a couple of grand songs, but become a great album as such. Experimental, yes. Hippie, not especially to me, but I will not protest. Rubbish, not at all!

Could hardly call it a great album, butmit certainly is an interesting listen and funnto compare with other 1967 albums.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 3, 2014 16:07

The Album of the Year 1967 is def. Axis Bald As Love by Hendrix..

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 3, 2014 16:54

Come On
The Album of the Year 1967 is def. Axis Bald As Love by Hendrix..

Right group, but wrong album. At least in my opinion.

Date: April 3, 2014 18:38

stonehearted
His Majesty
stonehearted

There wasn't a B side.

the hole argument is b-sides the point.

Date: April 3, 2014 18:57

treaclefingers
stonehearted
His Majesty
stonehearted

There wasn't a B side.

the a-holes might disagree.

Date: April 4, 2014 01:28

Hairball
treaclefingers
stonehearted
His Majesty
stonehearted

There wasn't a B side.

but just to be a-holes, they'd prolly agree, just to throw us.

Date: April 4, 2014 02:33

treaclefingers
Hairball
treaclefingers
stonehearted
His Majesty
stonehearted

There wasn't a B side.

but just to be a-holes, they'd prolly agree, just to throw us.

True!

Speaking of a-holes and b-sides, somewhere deep in the archives I think I still have the original Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields 45 single.
My dad bought it for my brother and I when released, and we played it to death as kids. When my brother passed away I inherited all of his belongings,
and because he was a pack rat regarding his music and memorabilia collection, it must still be somewhere amongst everything.
It's probably w/out the cover and scratched to smithereens, but would be priceless to me due to the memories attached.
One particular treasue I found of his was an autographed album by George Harrison-the Thirty Three & 1/3 solo album.
Perhaps not one of George's best solo albums, but with the autograph signed to my brother it is amazing!

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: April 4, 2014 03:07

This battle will go down to the wire, long after we have all left the planet. Then the curtain will be lifted and the final decision will be handed down by the Gods, only to be called........A Draw !!! To be on the planet the same time as the Stones and Beatles while they were roaring thru the haze of the 60"s and with the Stones still going is a F'ing Mind Blower !!! Yes only to be called a Draw !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-04 03:13 by 2120Wolf.

Date: April 4, 2014 04:32

Beatles vs Stones...we finally have a winner.

Us.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 4, 2014 08:40

The battle in music is always A/ Good Music vs B/ Bad Music
My ears has always told me that Stones and Beatles is A...

or say A/ Good taste in music vs B/ Bad taste in music

People that don't think as me has bad taste...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: April 6, 2014 20:16

2120Wolf
This battle will go down to the wire, long after we have all left the planet. Then the curtain will be lifted and the final decision will be handed down by the Gods, only to be called........A Draw !!! To be on the planet the same time as the Stones and Beatles while they were roaring thru the haze of the 60"s and with the Stones still going is a F'ing Mind Blower !!! Yes only to be called a Draw !!!

Hilarious! I love it!thumbs upthumbs up

Date: April 6, 2014 20:23

What really blows me away is that it is actually 2014 and this subject is still being debated. For over a half century!

Date: April 6, 2014 22:28

treaclefingers
BlackHat
OK, so my positve Beatles thread idea has been merged with the existing negative, confrontational thread. So much for trying to be harmonious.

I give up on this place. Used to be fun. Now it's a drag.

As the Beatles might say, "don't bring me down".

Actually that was ELO, Brrrrrruce!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2045
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home