Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 257
Re: Keith recording for "new solo album" in NYC
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 30, 2014 22:19

GasLightStreet
What solo album and tour between Stones legs? That's never happened.
corriecas
Between the Legs.....................Hahhahahahahahahahahahahaha

I can hear Keef Laughing at this, having a smoke, a glass of Vodka and ........
anyhow i dont believe a release will be this year. Think its gonna happen after the London shows in 2015.

Jeroen

I'm with you on that.
Keef asking himself if he should squeeze a little solo
activity in between the legs of the old Rusty Wreck spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: July 30, 2014 22:42

Dreamer
Let's not jump to (negative) conclusions without any kind of information to back it up.

Only one word wrong:

Let's not jump to (positive) conclusions without any kind of information to back it up.

Oops, you were a bit quick there, my friend. I haven't done that. I have merely pointed out that it is foolish to conclude with something when you don't know anything about if/when it will happen.

Let me know if you disagree with that winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-30 22:44 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: It's coming...
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 30, 2014 22:55

TeddyB1018
KR. That's all I can say.

Teddy, please, tell us Tell us a little bit more about this new KR solo album!!
Do you know if it will be published this year?

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: July 30, 2014 22:59

GasLightStreet
What solo album and tour between Stones legs? That's never happened.

Ronnie Wood Anthology: The Essential Crossexion. no tour, but ronnie signed some of these between European/USA next legs..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-30 23:00 by rogerriffin.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: July 31, 2014 00:31

latebloomer
I took Teddy's comment to mean soon as well, but I don't see the big deal. A new solo album by any of them at this point is not going to garner big sales, and I'm sure Keith is well aware of that. Nor is it what it used to be for anyone except maybe mega stars like Taylor Swift. There is a two month break between the AU/NZ tour and the rummored South American tour. If the album is released then, Keith would probably do a little publicity during the holidays, and then it would be back to the tour. I seriously doubt Mick will care, he's been busy with his own projects during this break of the tour. I imagine that, whatever Keith decides to do about the new material, he will discuss it with the Stones first.

Pretty solid thinking. I believe the idea is that Mick is busy between Stones activities promoting Get it On and producing his and Scorsese's HBO very high profile rock drama, which is in full swing and will film for the next six months. Keith doesn't do much of that, so this is his personal project. He is apparently planning to do some live dates, though I have no idea what shape the band might take. Steve Jordan aside, this is not an X-Pensive Winos album per se. For all we know, a sober Ronnie and even MT might have some involvement. Either way, this is all being coordinated with the Stones camp, and record company. Maybe the Stones touring is stretching out longer than anyone expected. But whatever Keith is doing is all right with Mick.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-31 00:40 by TeddyB1018.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 31, 2014 01:35

Some tasty morsels there. Thanks, TeddyB.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 31, 2014 01:50

Yes, thank you so much Teddy, that's wonderful news! I would even camp out to see Keith at a show or two in NYC, which is the most likely spot, eh? smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 31, 2014 02:01

GasLightStreet
How 'bout just a reissue of the SuperHeavy album that features a second disc of the album completely remixed instead of a new one?

I could be up for that. Would we get the pink suit again?

Date: July 31, 2014 02:03

TeddyB1018
latebloomer
I took Teddy's comment to mean soon as well, but I don't see the big deal. A new solo album by any of them at this point is not going to garner big sales, and I'm sure Keith is well aware of that. Nor is it what it used to be for anyone except maybe mega stars like Taylor Swift. There is a two month break between the AU/NZ tour and the rummored South American tour. If the album is released then, Keith would probably do a little publicity during the holidays, and then it would be back to the tour. I seriously doubt Mick will care, he's been busy with his own projects during this break of the tour. I imagine that, whatever Keith decides to do about the new material, he will discuss it with the Stones first.

Pretty solid thinking. I believe the idea is that Mick is busy between Stones activities promoting Get it On and producing his and Scorsese's HBO very high profile rock drama, which is in full swing and will film for the next six months. Keith doesn't do much of that, so this is his personal project. He is apparently planning to do some live dates, though I have no idea what shape the band might take. Steve Jordan aside, this is not an X-Pensive Winos album per se. For all we know, a sober Ronnie and even MT might have some involvement. Either way, this is all being coordinated with the Stones camp, and record company. Maybe the Stones touring is stretching out longer than anyone expected. But whatever Keith is doing is all right with Mick.

These are old men...if they sit around and do nothing they will be unable to get up after too long, so it's fantastic that the tour seems to have kicked the adrenalin in for more projects.

Good time to be a stones fan.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 31, 2014 03:35

latebloomer
Yes, thank you so much Teddy, that's wonderful news! I would even camp out to see Keith at a show or two in NYC, which is the most likely spot, eh? smiling smiley

If you do the camping, I'll pay for the tickets.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 31, 2014 10:12

Dreamer
Yes...This is all part of the brainwash coming from fans who try to get in Camp X-ray "everybody made unique contributions, resulting in a very strong-sounding unit." "One of the better bands around at the time, imo."

It's not bad but it's just a one dimension rock sound with someone singing who shouldn't sing. It's not R&B come on!

Can't agree more. There's music out there that raises my neck hairs instantly, and there's music out there that leaves me cold. Simple as that. I'm not into name dropping, and whoever is playing the music does not change a thing - music touches me or it does not touch me. Keith's albums have their moments, Talk I Cheap more than Main Offender, but all in all, they came too late, at a time, when his singing voice was already shot. Many songs could have been rescued by his 60's or 70's voice, but in the end, I don't like to listen to stuff thinking: "Hey, the music's good or even great, but it needs Micks voice!".

And stuff like Demon - well, honestly, who would listen to stuff like this if any other artist than Keith Richards had released it?

So whatever material he choses to release as his next solo album - the time when he could sing like on "You Got The Silver", "Coming Down Again", "Happy", "Before They Make Me Run", "Run Rudolph Run", "The Harder They Come", "We Had It All" or the 1977 Toronto session is long gone and won't come back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-31 10:13 by alimente.

Date: July 31, 2014 10:36

treaclefingers
TeddyB1018
latebloomer

These are old men...if they sit around and do nothing they will be unable to get up after too long, so it's fantastic that the tour seems to have kicked the adrenalin in for more projects.

Good time to be a stones fan.

Or this project kicked some life back in Keith, before he gathered the band for rehearsals winking smiley

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: July 31, 2014 10:57

TeddyB1018
latebloomer

Movies and music or rather a solo album - these are two different beast. I still find it's very strange (at least) to release a solo album in the midst of band activity. This breaks some unwritten laws, that's why many folks here have a hard time to believe it. That's my opinion of course, you look at it differently, obviously
But the main thing - I do not want this solo album business turned as nasty as it was with his book. Then they also said it was coordinated with the Stones camp and Mick was all right with this. Turned out it was a direct lie or wishful thinking and the band almost split up as a result of the release of this book.
Moreover, Keith Richards knows only one trick for promotion of his solo projects - namely badmouthing Jagger.
I do not think the band could survive another KR' s interview like the one with London's Time where among other things he discussed Mick's genitals and claimed Marianne told him that.
What he'll tell this time - what he thinks of L'wren suicide and how Mick can't handle women?

I'm sorry if my words are a bit harsh - but at this stage I expect anything from Richards

Date: July 31, 2014 11:07

Grasping at straws again? Get a grip, Mary - please!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 31, 2014 11:09

but at this stage I expect anything from Richards... don't reckon you'll get it this time 'round

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 31, 2014 11:13

proudmary
I still find it's very strange (at least) to release a solo album in the midst of band activity. This breaks some unwritten laws,

There's a natural law about Stones' unwritten laws : when you're 70 or above you may croak any day. So imo Keef feels a urge to release it.

Date: July 31, 2014 11:20

DandelionPowderman
Grasping at straws again? Get a grip, Mary - please!

I do not believe that you did not think about it at heart, even being such a big KR aficionado as you are
In the beginning you argued with me about timing - but no, I was right, it's now and not 2015, after the end of Stones tour
Second you know KR story with the press and I'm sure you do not want him to say something irreversible
And third - what I said is just a list of facts, it's all true
We're not afraid of the truth, are we?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-31 11:30 by proudmary.

Date: July 31, 2014 11:25

Rockman
but at this stage I expect anything from Richards... don't reckon you'll get it this time 'round

I'd be glad if all will be done tastefully and within the limits of decency
I have my doubts though

Date: July 31, 2014 11:29

Prejudice is not a good thing, Mary. You don't know shit, so wait and see - THEN react. Just a friendly advice...

Date: July 31, 2014 11:38

DandelionPowderman
Prejudice is not a good thing, Mary. You don't know shit, so wait and see - THEN react. Just a friendly advice...

I react to Teddy's post and he's very articulate
Friendly advice: just read what he said and what I said in reply and do not make it all about yourself
Calm down, it's a friendly discussion on fan's forum

Date: July 31, 2014 11:45

I don't say "sorry for being harsh", when I'm friendly, but that's me...

Date: July 31, 2014 11:50

dcba
proudmary
I still find it's very strange (at least) to release a solo album in the midst of band activity. This breaks some unwritten laws,

There's a natural law about Stones' unwritten laws : when you're 70 or above you may croak any day. So imo Keef feels a urge to release it.

I think that his urge is partially explained by the fact that Mick gets too much attention and affection lately, and that everybody somehow forgot about Keith Richards. That's why he does not want to wait until the end of the tour
In the end it was he himself who said that his relationship with Jagger boil down to the competition of the two alpha males

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 31, 2014 12:54

alimente

Keith's albums have their moments, Talk I Cheap more than Main Offender, but all in all, they came too late, at a time, when his singing voice was already shot. Many songs could have been rescued by his 60's or 70's voice, but in the end, I don't like to listen to stuff thinking: "Hey, the music's good or even great, but it needs Micks voice!".

I, and I guess many others, recognize the same problem. There is a difference between making a cameo, a one/two song spot, or background vocals and trying to sing a whole album or a show as a main vocalist. All Keith's Stones solo vocals (and his guest appearances) are charming in their own context, making a freshing difference to the Big(-Mouthed) Voice, but his limits as a singer, and his tricks of interpretation, do not stand in their own for a longer time - a time (album/show) which asks an ability to keep the thing going on and exciting as a real singer should do. That's one reason I prefer never to listen his solo albums (or shows) as a whole, but just pick up a song here and then. It could be, like you said, that his younger 60's/70's voice could have carry that task, but that voice is long gone. But his latter-day voice with the technique of "singing straight from your heart and soul" - bless it - gets a bit monotonic after a while.

There is another point about singing, which is related to song-writing. Like Keith's solo songs show, and like he describes in LIFE, his vocal melodic ideas are generally very sketchy - just rough guidelines to go along the riffs/instrumental base. This I guess is a result of his teamship with Jagger along the years. This is to say that his songs leave very much into shoulders of the singer of how the outcome really turns up like. And it is exactly here where one starts after a while missing Jagger. Not just his technically better voice but also his ability to write and carry an actual melody with it. Keith seems to 'interpret' the melodic clues with his passionate intuition, but somehow sound like wandering lazely in the wilderness with no much direction, whereas Jagger makes coherent, focused, finished melodies from those clues. That's why most of Keith's solo songs leave a kind of unfinished, sketchy-like impression. But sometimes that do work very well.

I think the 'moral' is that Jagger/Richards songs, especially the ones in which 'music' is supposedly written by Richards, asks a rather much creative output from the singer.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-31 12:58 by Doxa.

Date: July 31, 2014 13:00

That's how he plays guitar as well, Doxa smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 31, 2014 13:08

Probably that is more his home territory...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 31, 2014 17:08

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
How 'bout just a reissue of the SuperHeavy album that features a second disc of the album completely remixed instead of a new one?

I could be up for that. Would we get the pink suit again?

Better - neon pink!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 31, 2014 17:13

The Stones have been done shows in 2012, 2013 and 2014. No Keith album has been released. Is proudmary a fiction writer? Because so far what it's all fiction.

Disloyal? Chose to release a solo album?

A complete mystery.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: July 31, 2014 17:48

proudmary
dcba
proudmary

I think that his urge is partially explained by the fact that Mick gets too much attention and affection lately, and that everybody somehow forgot about Keith Richards.

Sigh.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 31, 2014 17:52

alimente
Dreamer
Yes...This is all part of the brainwash coming from fans who try to get in Camp X-ray "everybody made unique contributions, resulting in a very strong-sounding unit." "One of the better bands around at the time, imo."

It's not bad but it's just a one dimension rock sound with someone singing who shouldn't sing. It's not R&B come on!

Can't agree more. There's music out there that raises my neck hairs instantly, and there's music out there that leaves me cold. Simple as that. I'm not into name dropping, and whoever is playing the music does not change a thing - music touches me or it does not touch me. Keith's albums have their moments, Talk I Cheap more than Main Offender, but all in all, they came too late, at a time, when his singing voice was already shot. Many songs could have been rescued by his 60's or 70's voice, but in the end, I don't like to listen to stuff thinking: "Hey, the music's good or even great, but it needs Micks voice!".

And stuff like Demon - well, honestly, who would listen to stuff like this if any other artist than Keith Richards had released it?

So whatever material he choses to release as his next solo album - the time when he could sing like on "You Got The Silver", "Coming Down Again", "Happy", "Before They Make Me Run", "Run Rudolph Run", "The Harder They Come", "We Had It All" or the 1977 Toronto session is long gone and won't come back.

Would be great if he released the 1977 Toronto sessions,,,
Yeah but he wont

Anyway,,im looking forward to his new release. Agreed, not all his songs are that great, but they show some emotional urge and feeling. Unlike,imo, Godess in the...

Its just great to see our musicians do something and make some New music..

We will see, and then judge, maybe..

Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-31 17:53 by corriecas.

Date: July 31, 2014 17:55

GasLightStreet
The Stones have been done shows in 2012, 2013 and 2014. No Keith album has been released. Is proudmary a fiction writer? Because so far what it's all fiction.

Disloyal? Chose to release a solo album?

A complete mystery.

I agree skippy...I think it's a rather high, and lonely place atop of that soap box.

Best to make the climb and get all vitriolic when you actually have something to scream about.

I'd be very happy with a new solo album by Keith. IF he were to promote it in the way PM described, I'd prolly climb on that soap box with her, but we're not there yet, and I don't think we will be either.

Let's get defensive if and when we actually see an offense.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1507
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home