Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Love You Live - Overdubs
Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: September 11, 2013 00:07

Friends!

I love Love you Live. I just really find the sound to be rocking on that record. Big guitars, awesome percussion, groovy. Anyhow, I realize that many people dislike this record. There has been lots of talking about overdubs on LYL. Can anyone tell me where?
- And: what did it sound like live in the venues back in 75/76/77?

Cheers
Dirk

Re: Love You Live - Overdubs
Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: September 11, 2013 00:26

Ok, someone sent me this one:

[www.iorr.org]

and...

Date: August 7, 2009 16:10

In all reality Ya-Ya's, LYL and Still Life do NOT have that many overdubs. Yes, most vocals were redone, there's editing of songs to make them a bit shorter as long jams often don't work on a live record, but as far as guitar overdubs are concerned there really aren't that many done. Ya-Ya's has NO guitar overdubs at all, side 1, 2 and 4 of LYY has NO guitar overdubs I can think of, Still Life has only a few (Shattered and Let's Spend in the middle 8, and the solo of UMT always sounds suspicious to me).

The only live recording that actually is truly reworked is the recording that we all praise so much: El Mocambo. The (six+) guitars of Mannish Boy, Cracking Up and LRR are all done in the studio, the harmonica is redone, vocals are redone, and there's added piano as well.

Mathijs

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 11, 2013 02:28

That's why we don't see an El Mocambo bootleg series release.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 11, 2013 03:15

TeddyB1018
That's why we don't see an El Mocambo bootleg series release.

Too much like hard work to overdub the whole show.............winking smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 11, 2013 11:07

schwonek

[www.iorr.org]

and...

In all reality Ya-Ya's, LYL and Still Life do NOT have that many overdubs. Yes, most vocals were redone, there's editing of songs to make them a bit shorter as long jams often don't work on a live record, but as far as guitar overdubs are concerned there really aren't that many done. Ya-Ya's has NO guitar overdubs at all, side 1, 2 and 4 of LYY has NO guitar overdubs I can think of, Still Life has only a few (Shattered and Let's Spend in the middle 8, and the solo of UMT always sounds suspicious to me).

The only live recording that actually is truly reworked is the recording that we all praise so much: El Mocambo. The (six+) guitars of Mannish Boy, Cracking Up and LRR are all done in the studio, the harmonica is redone, vocals are redone, and there's added piano as well.

Mathijs

As has been discovered Ya Ya's does have guitar overdubs: Taylor's rhythm guitar on Little Queenie and most likely Carol has been overdubbed by Richards.

Mathijs

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 11, 2013 11:24

I love Ya Yas but I have to imagine there's quite a bit of overdubbing. I'm not very good at pointing that stuff out, but it all sounds REALLY good and I kind of question the whole thing when there's proof of at least a few overdubs. I still listen to the album and think "it might be a bit doctored, but its still epic". Hell, I love Kiss's Alive album and the whole thing is nearly overdubbed and not live. But when I hear some of the really great stuff on Ya Ya's, I have to assume it was pretty heavily overdubbed, at least by Richards.

Date: September 11, 2013 11:25

schwonek

[www.iorr.org]

and...

Mathijs

Well, this is not entirely correct. Take Crackin' Up, for instance, there is no doubt that Ronnie added one or two guitars there - but the original three guitar tracks we hear on the bootleg are kept on the LYL-album.

I can't really hear any guitar overdubs on Mannish Boy or LRR? Maybe one on the latter...

The solo on UMT (Still Life) is the original Keith-solo, albeit the mixing is very clever, making it sound a bit better.

I love Keith's backing vocals on Tumbling Dice (LYL). Something he never did live ever grinning smiley

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: September 11, 2013 11:43

RollingFreak
I love Ya Yas but I have to imagine there's quite a bit of overdubbing. I'm not very good at pointing that stuff out, but it all sounds REALLY good and I kind of question the whole thing when there's proof of at least a few overdubs. I still listen to the album and think "it might be a bit doctored, but its still epic". Hell, I love Kiss's Alive album and the whole thing is nearly overdubbed and not live. But when I hear some of the really great stuff on Ya Ya's, I have to assume it was pretty heavily overdubbed, at least by Richards.

According to ChrisM--[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

A Summary of Sources and Overdubs on "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!"

Opening words - Sam Cutler: MSG 11/27/69, 11/28/69 1st, and ?

- Opening words - Jagger: "watch it", overdubbed.

1. Jumpin' Jack Flash: Music MSG 11/27/69, vocal overdubbed.

- Spoken Words: MSG 11/27/69, edited.

2. Carol: MSG 11/28/69 1st, Mick Taylor's guitar piece is possibly overdubbed.

- Spoken Words: "Thank You" from MSG 11/27/69.

3. Stray Cat Blues: Music Baltimore 11/26/69, vocals overdubbed. Two musical "markers" were identified. Missing Turnaround Verse #4 ("It's no hangin' mat-tar..."). A lessor possibility: 11/28/69 1st. This is noted due to the "Champaign Variation", which is a close approximation to "Ya-Ya's" lyrics, and therefore a possibility in a live '69 performance.

Spoken Words: Possibly MSG 11/28/69 2nd.

4. Love In Vain: Baltimore 11/26/69, no overdubs.

Spoken Words: MSG 11/28/69 2nd, edited.

5. Midnight Rambler: MSG 11/28/69 2nd, no overdubs.

Spoken Words (Background): - MSG 11/28/69 2nd.

6. Sympathy for the Devil: MSG 11/28/69 1st. Verse #4 is edited out.

Spoken Words: 11/28/69 1st or 2nd possibly before Satisfaction.

7. Live With Me: Music MSG 11/28/69 2nd, vocals overdubbed.

Spoken Words: MSG 11/28/69 1st "Aw New York City..." also in the "Gimme Shelter" movie before Jumpin' Jack Flash.

8. Little Queenie: Music MSG 11/28/69 1st, vocals overdubbed.

Spoken Words: MSG 11/28/69 1st or 2nd. "Well all rights..." also in the "Gimme Shelter" movie after Jumpin' Jack Flash.

9. Honky Tonk Women: Music MSG 11/27/69, vocals overdubbed. Missing the "New York Verse", which would have been Verse #3 in a "Paris Verse" version of the song. Also missing the added chorus that would have separated the two verses.

Spoken Words: Overdubbed (Note the "electronic noise" that is present). A lessor possibility: 11/28/69 1st or 2nd, or Baltimore 11/26/69.

10. Street Fighting Man: Music MSG 11/28/69 1st, vocals overdubbed. A lessor possibility: Music Baltimore 11/26/69, vocals overdubbed.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 11, 2013 11:50

You can understand how its possible to doubt that, right? I'm not saying its wrong, but there's really nothing proving thats extremely credible either. Also, I'm not surprised that mostly all thats on there is vocals. It would be the easiest thing to distinguish I'm guessing. I don't really mind either way, I'm just saying I'd be shocked if there aren't Keith overdubs on at least 3 songs. I'd just be very surprised.

Date: September 11, 2013 12:06

DandelionPowderman
schwonek

[www.iorr.org]

and...

Mathijs

Well, this is not entirely correct. Take Crackin' Up, for instance, there is no doubt that Ronnie added one or two guitars there - but the original three guitar tracks we hear on the bootleg are kept on the LYL-album.

I can't really hear any guitar overdubs on Mannish Boy or LRR? Maybe one on the latter...

The solo on UMT (Still Life) is the original Keith-solo, albeit the mixing is very clever, making it sound a bit better.

I love Keith's backing vocals on Tumbling Dice (LYL). Something he never did live ever grinning smiley

The El Mocambo boot partially was taken from an official acetate which already included overdubs. Cracking Up would have 2 guitars live, not three for example. On Mannish Boy parts of Wood's licks and slide are overdubbed, as is the harmonica. I doubt Around & Around has guitar overdubs though.

Mathijs

Date: September 11, 2013 12:07

shawnriffhard1

3. Stray Cat Blues: Music Baltimore 11/26/69, vocals overdubbed. Two musical "markers" were identified. Missing Turnaround Verse #4 ("It's no hangin' mat-tar..."). A lessor possibility: 11/28/69 1st. This is noted due to the "Champaign Variation", which is a close approximation to "Ya-Ya's" lyrics, and therefore a possibility in a live '69 performance.

As mentioned to Chris many, many times: Stray Cat is NOT from Baltimore, but New York 28th 1st show.

Mathijs

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 11, 2013 12:44

Dub You Live?

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: September 11, 2013 12:56

For those who want to know everything about Love You Live, the Jagger phrase "tune your marimbas to that if you can" after Happy is from the first show at the Zuiderpark in The Hague, Holland May 29.

Date: September 11, 2013 13:02

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
schwonek

[www.iorr.org]

and...

Mathijs

The El Mocambo boot partially was taken from an official acetate which already included overdubs. Cracking Up would have 2 guitars live, not three for example. On Mannish Boy parts of Wood's licks and slide are overdubbed, as is the harmonica. I doubt Around & Around has guitar overdubs though.

Mathijs

That's interesting, I didn't know that! Up till today, I've always thought that Mick played guitar on Crackin' Up as well. Hm, we live and learn... smiling smiley

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 11, 2013 14:07

It is remarkable the we all love most the Bootleg Series which is without any overdubs at all (with the exception of the sax on "Brown Sugar" on Brussels (I like more the original Taylor slide) and the solo on "Mister D" which is from the second gig on the same day). Thus we can infer actually that the overdubs didn't make better the genuine recordings (sometimes on the contrary they make the originals worse like the vocal overdubs on "Brown Sugar" on LYL or the glued solo by Ronnie on SMU on Flashpoint. He played actually quite good solos on this tour on this song). Often the original faults are even charming like the wrong chord on "Star Star" by Keith on LA Friday, when Jagger chipped in with a short "Ah" immediately continuing the right words.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 11, 2013 14:15

It's a great gig but the recording is way too muddy. I'd love to hear it properly mastered with the instruments given some degree of separation.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: September 11, 2013 14:31

Mathijs

Mathijs

So it's Jagger on the harmonica? I Always wondered who plays it in that number...

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 11, 2013 16:55

Mathijs
shawnriffhard1

As mentioned to Chris many, many times: Stray Cat is NOT from Baltimore, but New York 28th 1st show.

Mathijs

Haha..this will never be changed !! Maybe he has never corrected it just to piss you off !
Yes it is NY 28th 1st show

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: September 11, 2013 17:10

3. Stray Cat Blues: Music Baltimore 11/26/69, Wrong Wrong Wrong

--------------------------------------
I'm Ut4009 On HC

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: September 11, 2013 17:42

Mack Jigger
For those who want to know everything about Love You Live, the Jagger phrase "tune your marimbas to that if you can" after Happy is from the first show at the Zuiderpark in The Hague, Holland May 29.

I thought the comment was "Do the Horrendous to that if you can", the Horrendous being a kind of made up dance that Ronnie mentions in his Autobiography.

Posted by: 1967fan ()
Date: September 11, 2013 18:09

I hope this is not too off topic.. From the crowd noise on FLashpoint you can hear a lady say " paint it black, paint it black you devil" just before PIB begins. Is this not tacked from either guyy out or the GImmie Shelter movie?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 11, 2013 18:44

Mathijs
schwonek

[www.iorr.org]

and...

Mathijs

As has been discovered Ya Ya's does have guitar overdubs: Taylor's rhythm guitar on Little Queenie and most likely Carol has been overdubbed by Richards.

Mathijs

Says you.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: September 11, 2013 19:39

There's a third guitar (panned exact centre) that can be heard in the instrumental break in Little Queenie

Date: September 11, 2013 20:05

71Tele
Mathijs
schwonek

[www.iorr.org]

and...

Mathijs

Mathijs

Says you.

Wot? It was discovered by somebody on this board, certainly not me, that Taylor's LQ rhythm guitar on the video was different to the Ya Ya's version, and later on that Taylor always played a different rhythm guitar on Carol live than what has ended up on Ya Ya's. (note, this also make me believe JJF has a fiddled with rhytm guitar).

Mathijs

Aha, there it is, it was Straycat73 who discovered it.

[www.iorr.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-12 09:54 by Mathijs.

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: September 11, 2013 20:15

1967fan
I hope this is not too off topic.. From the crowd noise on FLashpoint you can hear a lady say " paint it black, paint it black you devil" just before PIB begins. Is this not tacked from either guyy out or the GImmie Shelter movie?

just had a listen can't say i can hear it but i really don't like Flashpoint much i find it too flat unlike the Tokyo boot from the archives

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 11, 2013 20:19

1967fan

Yes, GYYO...........a little joke I think...........

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 12, 2013 12:35

Mathijs
71Tele
Mathijs
schwonek

[www.iorr.org]

and...

Mathijs

Mathijs

Says you.

Wot? It was discovered by somebody on this board, certainly not me, that Taylor's LQ rhythm guitar on the video was different to the Ya Ya's version, and later on that Taylor always played a different rhythm guitar on Carol live than what has ended up on Ya Ya's. (note, this also make me believe JJF has a fiddled with rhytm guitar).

Mathijs

[www.iorr.org]

Did Taylor play on YaYa's anyhow?

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 12, 2013 12:49

kleermaker
Mathijs
71Tele
Mathijs
schwonek

[www.iorr.org]

and...

Mathijs

Mathijs

Says you.

Mathijs

[www.iorr.org]

Did Taylor play on YaYa's anyhow?

Nope mathijs did the overdubs because in his words they are easy to play

Date: September 12, 2013 13:09

Jokes aside, there is clearly an overdubbed rhythm guitar on LQ.

There can be many reasons for that: a busted string, a bad instrument cable, hiss, awkward unawereness, bad playing - you name it!

Probably, Mick and Keith were more hands-on with the finalising of the album in the studio, and perhaps because he was available at the time, Keith re-recorded that track.

I really don't know why people doubt this, or why this should be controversial at all...

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: September 12, 2013 14:33

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1692
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home