Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Jagger tells the story behind "Gimme Shelter"
Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: September 6, 2013 09:21

Interesting interview with Jagger about "Gimme Shelter."

"Well, it’d be great to have a woman come and do the rape/murder verse,’ or chorus or whatever you want to call it,” said Jagger. “We randomly phoned up this poor lady in the middle of the night, and she arrived in her curlers and proceeded to do that in one or two takes, which is pretty amazing. She came in and knocked off this rather odd lyric. It’s not the sort of lyric you give anyone–’Rape, murder/It’s just a shot away’–but she really got into it, as you can hear on the record.”

[www.openculture.com]

Re: Jagger tells the story behind "Gimme Shelter"
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 6, 2013 09:28

quite sad actually...

Date: September 6, 2013 10:11

Eleanor Rigby
quite sad actually...

The lyrics?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 6, 2013 10:23

I heard these Stones NPR interviews at the time. I liked when Charlie couldn't recall a song title, and you hear Mick pop in the door and whisper it across the room to Charlie. Nice to have a mate help out.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 6, 2013 10:25

and the "poor lady" then had a miscarriage, right?

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: September 6, 2013 12:11

Sad story.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 6, 2013 12:39

What's sad about this story?

This is the first time I read about her loosing her baby that night. And I read quite a lot of stuff on Shelter. Indeed a sad story. Was it in the Let it Bleed book?

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-06 15:40 by liddas.

Date: September 6, 2013 12:53

It's not funny to have a miscarriage.

Read the article. Her husband convinced her to do the job and that night, after singing her part three times, she lost her baby.

Date: September 6, 2013 13:42

Correct Papo....as I said earlier sad...people might want to read the story

Date: September 6, 2013 14:49

Please, don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing anybody and I'm not judging nor am I blaming anybody or the situation.
I just read the whole story and that made me sad and I feel deeply sorry for Ms Clayton.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 6, 2013 15:15

Somewhere I read she sang the first chorus to Mick and Keith's sonic delight. She then negotiated her salary before singing the rest.

Must have heard about Mick's frugality!

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: September 6, 2013 16:06

Wow, after listening all the years this is the first time I have heard this story. God bless Merry for literally giving it all, not knowing, of course, what would ensue later that night.

It was most definitely a tumultuous time. I was living in LA then, seeing the Stones at the Forum in '69. That song, so ominous, capturd the mood of the time.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 6, 2013 16:19

Certainly a sad story and there's no way to know that she would have miscarried.

Also, no way to know that her singing was the actual cause of the miscarriage. That's what everyone seems to believe and may be true, but no way to actually know that for certain.

Date: September 6, 2013 17:02

Of course no way to know..but a very sad end to a story which I was enjoying alot.
I always loved hearing Merry's singing on that isolated track - amazing power. ..

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: September 7, 2013 06:53

Is it actually possible to miscarry from singing? Congrats on the name by the way Elmo I love it. Merry Clayton might well have miscarried after her late night recording session, I have no idea. Seem's a little far fetched to blame it on her singing her limited lines three times though, in my humble opinion. And a story like that really does seem to help make the tune seem even more ominus than ever, don't you think?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 7, 2013 12:46

Didn't know that story. Thanks for posting

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: September 7, 2013 15:13

rob51
Is it actually possible to miscarry from singing? Congrats on the name by the way Elmo I love it. Merry Clayton might well have miscarried after her late night recording session, I have no idea. Seem's a little far fetched to blame it on her singing her limited lines three times though, in my humble opinion. And a story like that really does seem to help make the tune seem even more ominus than ever, don't you think?

Anything's possible...may just have been the thing that pushed it over the edge, maybe something that was going to happen regardless. We would just never know. I don't think I'd be as cynical to think they've now created this story to 'add' to the song's darkness.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 7, 2013 21:05

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 17:10 by camper88.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 7, 2013 22:43

Date: September 7, 2013 23:42

camper88
Hearing her vocals isolated literally gives me goosebumps

I agree but this sounds like church music to me. The evil side is completely gone.

Damn, GS is really the best song they ever did, you discover new things about it every month!

Mick Jagger Tells The Story Behind 'Gimme Shelter' And Merry Clayton's Haunting Background Vocals
Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: October 12, 2014 18:01

I just saw this posted by Andrew Loog Oldham's Facebook page. It's quite an interesting story, most of which I knew already.

Has an interesting interview with Mick about the song and how Merry Clayton's background vocals came about. Also is an isolated track of part of her vocal performance.

If this has been posted already, I apologize.

[www.openculture.com]

Re: Mick Jagger Tells The Story Behind 'Gimme Shelter' And Merry Clayton's Haunting Background Vocals
Date: October 12, 2014 19:04

What's amazing is you can hear MC banging her palm with her fist as she sings...
Incredible!

Re: Mick Jagger Tells The Story Behind 'Gimme Shelter' And Merry Clayton's Haunting Background Vocals
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 12, 2014 19:07

Always good to hear that incredible solo clip again, and groove out to Gimme Shelter on a Sunday afternoon.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: October 12, 2014 22:38

Don't know for certain but I'd bet that that entire story about losing her baby is bs.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 12, 2014 22:41

It's sad to miscarry, of course, but when this fact came out in a Merry Clayton interview last year
what was stated was that she lost the baby "shortly after" the Gimmie Shelter session, not the same night.
The writer of the article linked to up there in the first post seems to have misinterpreted what "shortly afterwards" meant.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 13, 2014 08:55

dcba
What's amazing is you can hear MC banging her palm with her fist as she sings...
Incredible!

Every time I hear her sing that --every time-- I get goosebumps and the hairs on my arms stand on end.

I had never noticed her banging her palm on her fist but can hear it now.

Who is saying "WhooOOOo!" ? I've always wondered that.

- swiss

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: October 13, 2014 10:16

Pietro
Interesting interview with Jagger about "Gimme Shelter."

"Well, it’d be great to have a woman come and do the rape/murder verse,’ or chorus or whatever you want to call it,” said Jagger. “We randomly phoned up this poor lady in the middle of the night, and she arrived in her curlers and proceeded to do that in one or two takes, which is pretty amazing. She came in and knocked off this rather odd lyric. It’s not the sort of lyric you give anyone–’Rape, murder/It’s just a shot away’–but she really got into it, as you can hear on the record.”

[www.openculture.com]

It's a great story but some things were not mentioned. In conversations I had with band members and Merry herself from back in the 70's through the 90's there were other things about the song G.S.. First the band had already planned to have a female singer for the song that was "Bonnie Bramlett". For certain reasons she at the last minute decided not to do the part. Left without a female singer, the engineer at this session was Bruce Botnick (check album credits), Bruce was very involved with Doors and worked on the Doors song "Touch Me". Well Bruce was friends with one of the horn players on that song and new his wife who was Merry Clayton. He suggested her to Mick and the band and he said she just lived near by. Well at around 1AM they called her and woke her up and asked her if she could do some vocals. When she heard who was asking she jumped out of bed and came to the session ("in curlers" story may or may not be true). Merry has a reputation known as "ONE TAKE MERRY" well this was true here she got it down in one take much to the bands amazement, they did another take anyway but was happy with the first. Another side note in talks with Mick Taylor one of the Stones songs that he wished he could have played on was Gimmie Shelter. It would realinteresting to hear what the studio version would have sounded like had Taylor played on it.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 23, 2014 02:12

I heard that story about it being late at night and she was in curlers but the first version I heard was that she was sick and had a flu and that's why her voice cracked but Mick loved that so much they left it in!

Date: October 23, 2014 02:19

dcba
camper88
Hearing her vocals isolated literally gives me goosebumps

I agree but this sounds like church music to me. The evil side is completely gone.

Damn, GS is really the best song they ever did, you discover new things about it every month!

That or Sympathy.

The sheer volume of high quality material in a two year period, 68/69...unreal really.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 23, 2014 02:22

Wow that solo clip is pretty amazing! I'd like to hear it without the reverb. Her voice cracking makes it even more amazing imho. Thanks for posting that. peace

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2069
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home