Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Jagger tells the story behind "Gimme Shelter"
Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: October 23, 2014 07:09

rob51
Don't know for certain but I'd bet that that entire story about losing her baby is bs.

It isn't "bs". I hope when you typed this you didn't realize just how much in bad taste your words are.

On a Clayton related topic- has anyone heard how she is recovering from her horrible car accident earlier this year?

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: October 23, 2014 17:44

I've heard the story about her wanting the payment - $500 I think - before she did anything as she'd heard about how hard it was to get paid. Never heard the miscarriage story.

By the way anyone wanting the complete GS isolated vocal (which is pretty spine tingling) just search SoundCloud for Gimme Shelter

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 23, 2014 17:58

Everything I've ever read said she had the miscarriage after the session because of how it was intense. Like it says in the article, Shortly after leaving the studio, she lost her baby in a miscarriage. It has generally been assumed that the stress from the emotional intensity of her performance and the lateness of the hour caused the miscarriage.

The Stones' hand has had a death grip on a few people - and that's one that never got out of the womb. Clearly had she not done the session it wouldn't've happened.

Regardless, Gimme Shelter remains and always will be one of the most powerful tracks ever put to print in the history of music yet alone rock.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 24, 2014 02:10

I really doubt that 3 takes of Gimme Shelter, no matter how powerful it was, caused a miscarriage! Really, think about it...singing causing a baby in the womb to DIE!? Nope, I don't buy it. You'd have to suspect that the tale grew and grew with each re-telling!! The myth that was created just kept getting repeated. No one heard that she was very ill with the flu?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 24, 2014 03:10

I'm with you mickschix, I don't buy that the session caused the miscarriage. I am however sorry it happened to Mrs. Clayton.

But, there is no doubt that that tune changed the planet, everyone was listening to it for a long while and it certainly was and is a powerful influence on human emotion and thought.

I believe that human thought is the most powerful force on the planet, possibly the universe and in that context, it is strange to imagine what the overall effect of that song was. It certainly influenced me a a young kid. peace

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 24, 2014 03:59

mickschix
I really doubt that 3 takes of Gimme Shelter, no matter how powerful it was, caused a miscarriage! Really, think about it...singing causing a baby in the womb to DIE!? Nope, I don't buy it. You'd have to suspect that the tale grew and grew with each re-telling!! The myth that was created just kept getting repeated. No one heard that she was very ill with the flu?

A miscarriage is a spontaneous abortion. Partcularly if someone is predisposed to miscarry,
and particularly if they are not far along, it is completely possible to miscarry from intense
emotional and/or physical strain.

- swiss

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: October 24, 2014 04:08

swiss
mickschix

A miscarriage is a spontaneous abortion. Partcularly if someone is predisposed to miscarry,
and particularly if they are not far along, it is completely possible to miscarry from intense

- swiss

Possible, yes. But that doesn't mean you can blame her singing on "Gimme Shelter" for her "spontaneous abortion."

"Spontaneous abortion"?

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 24, 2014 04:25

Pietro
swiss
mickschix

- swiss

Possible, yes. But that doesn't mean you can blame her singing on "Gimme Shelter" for her "spontaneous abortion."

"Spontaneous abortion"?

From the National Institutes of Health/National Library of Medicine:
"Miscarriage:
A miscarriage is the spontaneous loss of a fetus before the 20th week of pregnancy.
(Pregnancy losses after the 20th week are called preterm deliveries.) A miscarriage
may also be called a 'spontaneous abortion.' This refers to naturally occurring events,
not to medical abortions or surgical abortions."

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: October 24, 2014 06:27

mickschix

Sometimes it's better not to post anything at all.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 24, 2014 08:41

The power of that song is probably why they use Lisa Fischer nowadays...
She's past childbearing age ... never married, no children.
Avoids liability.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 24, 2014 18:05

Has anyone here ever heard of a concept called "coincidence"? I'm pretty sure that no one has ever offered proof that Merry Clayton's miscarriage was caused by her singing back-up vocals on Gimme Shelter. Is is possible? Yes. Is it probable? I have no way of knowing.

Which of the following statements can anyone here prove to be true:
1. Merry Clayton had a miscarriage after singing back-up vocals for the Rolling Stones.
2. Merry Clayton had a miscarriage due to singing back-up vocals for the Rolling Stones.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 25, 2014 03:10

schillid
The power of that song is probably why they use Lisa Fischer nowadays...

I suspect that this song is the reason why Lisa chose to not have children

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1379
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home