Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Stones RRHOF "Music Masters" concert - Cleveland, October 26
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 21, 2013 04:40

JumpinJackOLantern
This is quite an honor, yet the Stones (themselves) are too busy to attend?

Yes. Since you can't read I'll copy and paste it for you:

Given their incredibly busy schedule, they will not be able to attend the program

Date: September 21, 2013 04:48

GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
This is quite an honor, yet the Stones (themselves) are too busy to attend?

Yes. Since you can't read I'll copy and paste it for you:

Given their incredibly busy schedule, they will not be able to attend the program

Their incredibly busy schedule? Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!

Re: Stones RRHOF "Music Masters" week
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 26, 2013 18:54

Writer still thinks the Stones are touring.

Rock Hall announces Music Masters Series schedule, culminating in Oct. 26 tribute concert

Scott Shaw, The Plain Dealer

By Chuck Yarborough, The Plain Dealer
September 26, 2013

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- In the 17 previous incarnations of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s Music Masters Series, there have been times that the artists being feted have not shown. But there was a good excuse: They were dead.

The joke about this year’s honorees, the Rolling Stones, has always been, “The Rolling Stones Live … Plus Keith Richards!’’ In this case, Richards is still kicking, as are bandmates Mick Jagger, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood, even if they are well past Social Security age. But they’re in the midst of a tour celebrating their 50th anniversary, so they’re not available.

So for the 2013 event, renamed from the American Music Masters Series to just Music Masters because of the Stones’ nationality – and the obvious contributions to rock outside the U.S. borders – the Rock Hall has done the next best thing. The institution has assembled a house band that features musicians who’ve been a part of the Stones’ 50-year history. That band includes 2012 Hall of Famer Ian McLagan, the keyboard player for the Faces/Small Faces.

The full schedule of events for the week, which kicks off on Monday, Oct. 21, and culminates in an all-star concert featuring that house band at PlayhouseSquare’s State Theatre at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 26, was announced today.

Here is the schedule for the actual week:

• Bill Janovitz, a singer, guitarist, songwriter in the band Buffalo Tom is the author of “Rocks Off: 50 Tracks That Tell the Sto5ry of the Rolling Stones.’’ He will participate in an author series and book-signing at the Cuyahoga Community College Tommy LiPuma Center for Creative Arts at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 22. Like most of the events, it’s free, but a reservation is required. Rock Hall members can make reservations for this and other freebies – with the exception of Wednesday’s special program for teachers -- at 10 a.m. Monday, Sept. 30 at tickets.rockhall.com; the general public can use the same website starting at 10 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 1.

• Education is a huge part of the Rock Hall’s mission, ergo the 4:30 p.m. Wednesday event, “Teachers Rock ‘Following the River’: Exploring the Roots of the Rolling Stones.’’ The free event is aimed at upper elementary and high school educators and looks at how teachers can “connect their classroom curriculum to the artistry of the Stones by examining the history of the American roots music that inspired them.’’ Reservations at tickets.rockhall.com.

• Drummer and musical director of the tribute concert Steve Jordan, sax player Bobby Keys and trumpeter Steve Madaio, all of whom played with the Stones, are the featured players in a program called “Songwriters to Soundmen’’ that is set for 8 p.m. Wednesday in the Rock Hall’s Foster Theater. Free but reservations are required through that tickets.rockhall.com website, and the same rules for Rock Hall members and the general public apply.

• Alan Light, former editor in chief at both Spin and Vibe, will “examine the latter-day Rolling Stones, and the triumphs and challenges of their longevity in a lecture at 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 24 at Case Western Reserve University’s Ford Auditorium, 11000 Euclid Ave. This event is completely free and no reservations are required.

• The only other admission-required event of the week the American Music Masters Conference, runs from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday in the Rock Hall’s Foster Theater. For $25 – which includes a $10 lunch voucher – attendees will take a look at the career of the Stones and the band’s impact on the genre.

It will include a screening of “Charlie Is My Darling: Ireland 1965,’’ an unreleased film about the band’s tour of the Emerald Isle in 1965; an interview with Merry Clayton, who provided that stunning female vocal in the song, “Gimme Shelter.’’ Clayton, by the way, has been added to the house band, which will perform later that night.

Make reservations at tickets.rockhall.com or at the Rock Hall box office.

• The Annual Masters Tribute Concert is at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 26, at PlayhouseSquare’s State Theatre. Tickets are $30 to $80, available at the box office, online at playhousesquare.org or by phone at 216-241-6000.

[www.cleveland.com]

Date: September 29, 2013 17:57

Merry Clayton and Sarah Dash have been added to the October 26 show. Due to scheduling conflicts Lisa Fischer and Ivan Neville are out.

[abcnewsradioonline.com]

Re: October Magic: Rock 'N Roll Hall Of Fame And Museum To Honor Rolling Stones!
Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: September 29, 2013 18:54

It should be a very exciting week in Cleveland for Stones fans!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-29 18:58 by 3DTeafoe.

Re: October Magic: Rock 'N Roll Hall Of Fame And Museum To Honor Rolling Stones!
Date: September 29, 2013 19:14

3DTeafoe
It should be a very exciting week in Cleveland for Stones fans!

Yes, indeed! If I was a traveling man I would go.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 29, 2013 19:54

GumbootCloggeroo
I thought the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was supposed to be a joke? Isn't that what people here say?

The inductees to the Hall of Fame is a joke. The museum itself is Rock and Roll heaven to me. I must see for everyone.

Date: September 30, 2013 04:26

I didn't forget to mention all that tripe either.

Date: September 30, 2013 20:51

It's a huge honor and the Stones should at least make a "red carpet" appearance to kick off the six day event.

Sometimes I think the Stones need new management. Someone at Stones Inc. should be on the phone to each of them and telling them to get their skinny little English asses to Cleveland! When the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame honors you the least you can do is show a little respect! Being too busy is not a valid excuse!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-30 20:53 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Date: September 30, 2013 21:15

GasLightStreet
I didn't forget to mention all that tripe either.

Keep your ears clear of wax and be tuned in here on the night of the next full moon!

Date: October 10, 2013 23:50

Joining the all-star house band is Nils Lofgren of the E Street Band.

New guests include Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee Chuck D, Sugar Blue, Lee Fields, Patterson Hood, Dave Pirner, Earl Slick and Cyril Jordan and Chris Wilson of the Flamin’ Groovies.

[rockhall.com]

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: October 11, 2013 00:05

Don't believe the hype! What better way to trick people than to have their entire complement of sidemen on hand and then say they will not be there. OF COURSE THEY WILL BE THERE! If we weren't in Italy on the 26, I'd be there for certain.

CBII

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 11, 2013 05:36

I've been to the museum twice. Had fun both times. smiling bouncing smiley

I'll be in Cleveland soon. winking smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 11, 2013 06:07

Just because their side players are involved doesn't mean The Stones themselves will be involved, and why should they? It's a tribute concert. It would be like showing up in the studio to record as a guest on your own tribute album. And who does that, besides Van Morrison?

Date: October 11, 2013 06:17

stonehearted
Just because their side players are involved doesn't mean The Stones themselves will be involved, and why should they? It's a tribute concert. It would be like showing up in the studio to record as a guest on your own tribute album. And who does that, besides Van Morrison?

I think the Stones should at least show up for a red carpet appearance to kick off the event. They don't have to stick around. What organization honored Neil Young recently? I think he was in the front row for the entire show. It's a matter of showing respect for the organization and the people who are honoring you. It's a fabulous honor.

Date: October 11, 2013 06:18

MingSubu
I've been to the museum twice. Had fun both times. smiling bouncing smiley

I'll be in Cleveland soon. winking smiley

Are you going to be there for the Stones tribute?

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: October 11, 2013 06:20

Taylor and Wyman should show up.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 11, 2013 06:21

JumpinJackOLantern
stonehearted

I think the Stones should at least show up for a red carpet appearance to kick off the event. They don't have to stick around. What organization honored Neil Young recently? I think he was in the front row for the entire show. It's a matter of showing respect for the organization and the people who are honoring you. It's a fabulous honor.

I don't know, which organization? Was it an event where the honorees typically show up but who don't actually participate, like the Kennedy Center Honors or whatever?

Date: October 11, 2013 06:24

stonehearted
JumpinJackOLantern
stonehearted

I don't know, which organization? Was it an event where the honorees typically show up but who don't actually participate, like the Kennedy Center Honors or whatever?

I don't remember. Just remember seeing a bunch of musicians performing his songs with him in attendance. I think he may have made a speech at the end of the event.

Date: October 11, 2013 13:44

Neil Young was honored as the 2010 MusiCares Person of the Year. The event featured artists performing his songs.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 11, 2013 13:46

bye bye johnny
Neil Young was honored as the 2010 MusiCares Person of the Year. The event featured artists performing his songs.
Wilco did a stunning version of "Broken Arrow".

Date: October 11, 2013 18:07

JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet
GumbootCloggeroo
I thought the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was supposed to be a joke? Isn't that what people here say?

No, it's not a thought, it's a FACT. You are correct.

Please explain why YOU think the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame is a joke?

At the very least they could put people in the RNRHOF AFTER they've retired, seeing that it's a museum. Yet alone they put people in it that are not rock based. It's not the Pop Music Hall Of Fame.

Date: October 18, 2013 18:24

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Music Masters concert will be a fitting end to a week honoring the Rolling Stones

(AP file)

By Chuck Yarborough, The Plain Dealer
on October 18, 2013

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- It’s going to be a heck of a party. Too bad the guests of honor are going to miss it.

That shouldn’t stop the weeklong Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s Music Masters tribute honoring the Rolling Stones, which culminates in an all-star concert at PlayouseSquare’s State Theatre featuring musicians who played, toured and partied with the celebrated band, from being a good time.

Especially if the memories from the upcoming week do anything to match the memories of guys like trumpeter Steve Madaio, who met the Stones n 1971 when his boss, Stevie Wonder, opened for them. Madaio, who now lives in the hoity-toity Palm Springs area of California, will be part of that band.

Madaio, now 65, says he’s been sober for 21 years. That was NOT the case when he toured with the Stones in 1973.

“When they gave me a call,’’ Madaio said, “I didn’t want to do the gig at first. I turned it down. I was with Stevie Wonder. ‘You guys are playing three chords!’ "

But he did take that job, traveling through Europe with the guys, and it became an eye-opener.

“For me, it was one of the turning points of my life, because it showed me the integrity of what they do onstage and how they do stuff and the intensity of what they do,’’ Madaio said. “Those are long shows, two-and-a-half hours, even to this day. Then they were doing eight or nine shows in a row, then one or two days off.’’

Despite what Madaio diplomatically called “a pretty decadent lifestyle,’’ the band treated what they were doing as a job, and their fans with respect.

“I tell stories in my concerts,’’ said Madaio, who has cut back to 18 or so dates a year. “One of them is about why they have been around so long.

“They had a concert in Copenhagen, and some fans were coming in from Finland by hovercraft,’’ he said. But a storm kicked up and they couldn’t get to the venue. Mick Jagger and his mates weren’t going to let Mother Nature win. They added a show to an already grueling schedule.

“[The Stones] did a concert for the 3,000 people who missed the show,’’ Madaio said. “That’s why they’re still around.’’

And as hard as Jagger, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood, Mick Taylor, Brian Jones, Charlie Watts, Billy Wyman and anybody else who ever was part of the band worked onstage, they may have played even harder off, Madaio said.

The tribute-concert band will be led by Steve Jordan, a drummer and multi-instrumentalist who plays in Richards’ side project, the X-Pensive Winos. Jordan, calling from New York, said he is still working on the songs that will be part of the show.

“We’re trying to go for about 20 songs, maybe a couple more or a couple less,’’ Jordan said. The selection won’t be chronological, but it will fit the videos and film clips that are to be interspersed throughout the night.

This ain’t Jordan’s first rodeo with the Rock Hall and the Music Masters event.

“I was a guest last year at the Chuck Berry one,’’ he said. “I had a really great time. I got to meet some heroes, like Merle Haggard, got to reconnect with some people I’ve met, and I got to see Chuck again.’’

He’s going to have that same chance this week. Jordan said he “hooked with [the Stones] on a professional level around ’83 or ’84.’’ He was in Paris at the time, recording with Simon Le Bon, Nick Rhodes and Roger Taylor on a Duran Duran side project called Arcadia and ended up spending time with Stones drummer Watts, whom he’d met during the band’s late-1970s appearance on “Saturday Night Live.’’ Jordan was the drummer for the show’s house band at the time, which happened to coincide with the New York Yankees’ resurgence.

“Everybody wanted to hang out with the Stones and talk music,’’ said Yankees fan Jordan. “I was more interested with what Chris Chambliss was doing at the plate.’’

Watts came by, watching a while, and said, “It’s kind of like rounders,’’ which is a British game that’s been called the ancestor of American baseball. They struck up a friendship that’s lasted to this day.

Those are the kinds of stories you won’t hear from Greg Harris, the president and CEO of the Rock Hall, who’ll be emceeing Saturday’s event. But the lifetime Stones fan is sure to have a few of his own tales, as will other speakers. Those speakers won't include the musicians, according to the museum’s Lauren Onkey, vice president of education and public programs, and the person behind the series.

The musicians are free to share their memories at the show, but that’s not on the night’s menu, she said.

That’s really what’s due the rest of the week, with a series of lectures and events. (For a complete schedule, click here.)

[www.cleveland.com]

Re: Stones RRHOF "Music Masters" week
Date: October 24, 2013 18:43

[twitter.com]

Video of the October 23 conversation with Steve Jordan, Bobby Keys, Steve Madaio and Ian McLagan. Great anecdotes and insight from all.

[www.ustream.tv]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-24 20:36 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: October 24, 2013 20:14

total crap that Wyman and Taylor aren't in the promotional material. they were both included when the band was inducted. hell...stu was included as well.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 24, 2013 23:39

For those interested, Alan Light will present a keynote lecture at Case Western Reserve University's Ford Auditorium that will look at the triumphs and challenges of the Rolling Stones' longevity, which will be streamed here:

[rockhall.com]

Date: October 26, 2013 00:51

Bernard Fowler posted a photo from yesterday's rehearsal:

Rehearsals with Sarah Dash, Steve Jordan and Waddy Wachtel @rock_hall @rollingstones

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: daytime ()
Date: October 26, 2013 01:08

Gazza
Unfortunately, the Stones themselves – Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood, who are on a worldwide 50th-anniversary tour -- will not be at the show, Onkey said.

“Given their incredibly busy schedule, they will not be able to attend the program,’’ Onkey confirmed. “But they’re fully aware of it.’’

Ok, who wants to volunteer to be the one to break the news to him?

/what are they up to now, lyin round to decide how much to ask for their next leg of tour.

Date: October 26, 2013 17:12

Rock Hall, from last night's rehearsal:

Things r heating up for tmrw night's @RollingStones tribute concert in Cleveland!

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: October 26, 2013 19:15

Steve Jordan and Bobby Keys Talk About Tribute to Rolling Stones

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1633
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home