Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
where is the Rock and Roll Circus version of Route 66?
Posted by: thabo ()
Date: August 30, 2013 00:16

At the time there was a bootleg EP with the Rolling Stones performance at the "Rock and Roll Circus" which contained the version of "Route 66" which they had also played. Strangely enough that "Route 66" didn't make into the digital bootleg circuit (for as far as I know). the same goes for the complete Hyde Park concert which at the time also appeared on boot and contained the complete concert and thus included some of the early R&B covers they had also played during that concert (incl. "Down Home Girl" if I'm not mistaken), but also didn't seem to have made it into the digital era. Any one has them?

Re: where is the Rock and Roll Circus version of Route 66?
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 30, 2013 00:41

Un-recorded that's where. An ep featuring it? Seems unlikley. Maybe some other version from an earlier tour or something.

Down Home Girl is on many Hyde Park bootlegs.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: August 30, 2013 01:09

"According to Roy Carr" there was this bootleg EP "Rock and Roll Circus" with Route 66, Confessing The Blues and others. But according to Roy Carr there was also a bootleg EP called "The Dartford Renegades" with tracks that remain unheard until now - just like those Circus tracks.

If those EPs really exist, someone must have them. And if someone has them,the tracks would have appeared on other releases. They did not. And I've never met anyone who has these tracks. Never. In more than 4 decades.

Date: August 30, 2013 01:22

alimente
"According to Roy Carr" there was this bootleg EP "Rock and Roll Circus" with Route 66, Confessing The Blues and others. But according to Roy Carr there was also a bootleg EP called "The Dartford Renegades" with tracks that remain unheard until now - just like those Circus tracks.

If those EPs really exist, someone must have them. And if someone has them,the tracks would have appeared on other releases. They did not. And I've never met anyone who has these tracks. Never. In more than 4 decades.

I think it does exist and let me tell you why, I heard about the R&R Circus boot at the time and years later it appeared also on the complete bootleg collection with cover picture in the Dutch Stones fanclub magazine "Hot Stuff" in 1977 (run by Sjaak Jorritsma) where it could be bought, so it did exist back then on vinyl, but seemed to somehow have been lost.

As far as "Down Home Girl" is concerned it is good to know it does still exist, unfortunatly inspite of the many boots on Youtube and the many videos promising the "complete Hyde Park" concert I haven't heard it yet overthere at least. Thanks for your responses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-30 01:25 by thabo.

Date: August 30, 2013 01:26

The bootleg may have said they were from there, but they might not have actually been recordings from the R&R Circus.

Date: August 30, 2013 01:33

His Majesty
The bootleg may have said they were from there, but they might not have actually been recordings from the R&R Circus.

Yes that might have been possible. The only way we will find out is if some one on here who bought the EP at the time will respond to this threat. The only thing I read about that "Route 66" version is that it was played very slow. So if the EP version would be at normal speed we can be certain it is not from the R&R Circus. On the other hand if it would be a slow version it becomes more likely that it actually might be.

Date: August 30, 2013 01:53

Yeah I can imagine them doing it slower at Circus, nice lil warm up before they get going with multiple takes of the set.

I hope this ep exists and has those recordings! hot smiley

Posted by: chemicalreaction ()
Date: August 30, 2013 01:56

Best Version: le Trabendo !!!

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 30, 2013 08:51

If it existed we would have heard it by now...

That "Dartford Renegades" EP was made up by Roy Carr - I had it on my want list for years till I found out.sad smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 30, 2013 09:13

Y'know, if I hadn't had to re-take my Latin O Level exam, I could tell you things like how fast they played Route 66. For some reason I can't remember--I think because I was a fan club member--I got an invite to be in the R&R Circus audience. But it was the other side of London from me, and we were told it wouldn't end until a certain time which would be after the last train home (I didn't have a car/license), and I had this major exam the next day. So I couldn't go, and have tortured myself about it for years.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 30, 2013 09:17

So I couldn't go, and have tortured myself about it for years.

PLEEZE show us the scars ........

ROCKMAN

Date: August 30, 2013 09:20

Who do you think I am, Miley Cyrus?!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 30, 2013 09:25

.... well yes we all did nearly see her scar ....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 30, 2013 11:39

Aquamarine
Y'know, if I hadn't had to re-take my Latin O Level exam, I could tell you things like how fast they played Route 66. For some reason I can't remember--I think because I was a fan club member--I got an invite to be in the R&R Circus audience. But it was the other side of London from me, and we were told it wouldn't end until a certain time which would be after the last train home (I didn't have a car/license), and I had this major exam the next day. So I couldn't go, and have tortured myself about it for years.

You attended Dylan AND The Rolling Stones at Albert Hall in 1966, much betterer than the R&R Circus! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-30 11:59 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: August 30, 2013 11:47

thabo
alimente

I think it does exist and let me tell you why, I heard about the R&R Circus boot at the time and years later it appeared also on the complete bootleg collection with cover picture in the Dutch Stones fanclub magazine "Hot Stuff" in 1977 (run by Sjaak Jorritsma) where it could be bought, so it did exist back then on vinyl, but seemed to somehow have been lost.

As far as "Down Home Girl" is concerned it is good to know it does still exist, unfortunatly inspite of the many boots on Youtube and the many videos promising the "complete Hyde Park" concert I haven't heard it yet overthere at least. Thanks for your responses.

Just more proof it was never recorded....

Date: August 30, 2013 14:16

Vocalion
thabo
alimente

Just more proof it was never recorded....

What makes you say that? I think Sjaak did a lot of work for the Stones fans. I still have some of the boots I bought from him and "Ladies and Gentlemen"on home-video (it still works), which was only released on celluloid for cinema usage and thus not available for the general public for years, Paris 67 on cassette etc. One day I called him only to thank him for a boot record I had received from him (Paris 65), and he was pleasantly suprised and told me that no one had ever called him back to thank him! Think about that one. Sure he also made some money selling those boot, but than again think about the risk he took, selling boots in the open which was quite an illegal business back in the 70's, it was not done anominiously like it can be done today with internet. So I am a bit suprised about your response to say the least.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: August 30, 2013 14:34

no one had ever called him back to thank him!

I can imagine.... He sold a lot of rubbish for much too high a price for starters.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: August 30, 2013 18:23

I have this EP somewhere but as far as I remember only YCAGWYW is from the RnR-circus (a rehearsals version I think), Route 66 is from an old BBC-session, maybe from Cambden, and Confessin' The Blues from Saturday Club.

Date: August 30, 2013 18:26

Too good to be true. sad smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 30, 2013 18:40

chemicalreaction
Best Version: le Trabendo !!!

>grinning smiley<

Date: August 30, 2013 19:58

silkcut1978_
I have this EP somewhere but as far as I remember only YCAGWYW is from the RnR-circus (a rehearsals version I think), Route 66 is from an old BBC-session, maybe from Cambden, and Confessin' The Blues from Saturday Club.

Thank you, mystery solved.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: August 30, 2013 21:40

As my hair is grey, I went back to a book that many of you might not know "The Rolling Stones at the Rarest" by Volker Kluge, 1st edition.
At page 37, he reports the following pre-1980 bootleg

ROCK AND ROLL CIRCUS
()()
Route 66 - Confessing the blues - JJF - Parachute Woman - YCAGWYW - SFTD No Expectations - Salt of the Heart - Yer Blues - Ono's Jam

Kluge lists this entry in the basic section and not in his PART 3 section including
rumored bootlegs

In my opinion, this record does not exist as:
1. Kluge does not list the label/matrix data and he tends to precise, usually
2. Kluge tries to list re-issues of every entry, but he can't track down the re-
issues of this

Last, but no the least many sources claim the tapes used for the rehearsals were erased to be used again. The only the way to find the re-hearsals of the RRC is to ask Yoko if John recorded the RS, I'm afraid...

Date: August 30, 2013 22:29

Was it not the case that they simply didn't film or record the warm up songs?

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: August 30, 2013 23:15

As far as i know, this 2 songs was not recorded.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 31, 2013 00:21

In the earlier days of bootlegs and music/underground press there was quite some misinformation reg.records,songs,titles,etc. So perhaps it was just an hoax.

Vocalion, - are you really Dieter H.? I mean you should know about it than. I miss those BN's years.
It only confused me that you said somewhere you're from Holland?

Date: August 31, 2013 01:21

His Majesty
Aquamarine

You attended Dylan AND The Rolling Stones at Albert Hall in 1966, much betterer than the R&R Circus! thumbs up

Aww, thanks--actually I think so too, looking back. smiling smiley

Date: August 31, 2013 01:31

Aquamarine

Werene't you at Hyde Park as well?

3 bands I wish I had been around to see.

The Rolling Stones - the real one grinning smiley
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
King Crimson - the original line up

Date: August 31, 2013 09:17

His Majesty
Aquamarine

Werene't you at Hyde Park as well?

3 bands I wish I had been around to see.

The Rolling Stones - the real one grinning smiley
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
King Crimson - the original line up

Yes I was. Thus I also saw King Crimson--actually I saw them multiple times for a couple of years, seemed like they were everywhere. Great live band.

Hendrix was a sad story, though. I had tickets. I got tickets for many other people and organized a bus. Then I got chicken pox two days before the show and they all went without me. sad smiley I thought "Oh, there'll be another chance," like you do, but it was not to be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-31 09:18 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: django ()
Date: August 31, 2013 13:48

1963luca0
As my hair is grey, I went back to a book that many of you might not know "The Rolling Stones at the Rarest" by Volker Kluge, 1st edition.
At page 37, he reports the following pre-1980 bootleg

ROCK AND ROLL CIRCUS
()()
Route 66 - Confessing the blues - JJF - Parachute Woman - YCAGWYW - SFTD No Expectations - Salt of the Heart - Yer Blues - Ono's Jam

Kluge lists this entry in the basic section and not in his PART 3 section including
rumored bootlegs

In my opinion, this record does not exist as:
1. Kluge does not list the label/matrix data and he tends to precise, usually
2. Kluge tries to list re-issues of every entry, but he can't track down the re-
issues of this

Last, but no the least many sources claim the tapes used for the rehearsals were erased to be used again. The only the way to find the re-hearsals of the RRC is to ask Yoko if John recorded the RS, I'm afraid...

Kluge has some more fake titles in his book. I think he did that to be able to recognise illigal copies.

I met him a few times at record fairs in the eighties. A very nice guy and he always had the latest boots to sell.

Date: August 31, 2013 14:33

Aquamarine

Yes I was. Thus I also saw King Crimson--actually I saw them multiple times for a couple of years, seemed like they were everywhere. Great live band.

Hendrix was a sad story, though. I had tickets. I got tickets for many other people and organized a bus. Then I got chicken pox two days before the show and they all went without me. sad smiley I thought "Oh, there'll be another chance," like you do, but it was not to be.

Wow and ugh for the last part!

Damn though, the original stones and Crimso! eye popping smiley Can I borrow your memories? grinning smiley

smileys with beer

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2273
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home