Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 8 of 12
Re: Mick: 'Get On Up' film & HBO TV series
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 4, 2014 05:27

I don't go out to see movies much any more, but just went to this with my wife and we both loved it!

For a Sunday evening screening, the theater was close to being full which was surprising.

Get On Up! thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 4, 2014 05:48

I just saw it and loved it. I was tentative after the L.A. Times trashed it. But then halfway through it struck me, "That lefty rag had to trash it because the film was directed by a white man."

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 4, 2014 06:49

Title5Take1
I just saw it and loved it. I was tentative after the L.A. Times trashed it. But then halfway through it struck me, "That lefty rag had to trash it because the film was directed by a white man."

The backlash is inevitable, predictable. One critic suggested the only reason it got made was because the director, producers are white and that Spike Lee had been originally attached.. I'm glad he passed for whatever reason. I like Spike but I would argue that the white southern director from Mississippi May have a better grasp, understanding of the southern culture Brown was steeped in than the black Brooklyn-born and bred, jazz-loving intellectual northerner. Just my thought as someone who has watched the Hollywood and/or northern-liberal-elitist aesthetic reduce southern experiences to cartoons. And I say that as a proud southern liberal. They always get it wrong.
This thing had to be sweaty and gritty, not perfectly politicized and sanctified by over simplifications.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 4, 2014 07:52

Well LA Times readers, you made my day. Ken Turan, the critic, really is not cool. And he tore into "Boyhood" this morning, which I want to see, and my intelligent friends tell me I must.

I breathed a sigh of relief when Jagger got involved because he certainly understood James Brown.

This is not meant to be a huge money-makeing blockbuster film so one cannot expect it to gross like... a Stones tour.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 4, 2014 09:12

stonesrule
Well LA Times readers, you made my day. Ken Turan, the critic, really is not cool. And he tore into "Boyhood" this morning, which I want to see, and my intelligent friends tell me I must.

I breathed a sigh of relief when Jagger got involved because he certainly understood James Brown.

This is not meant to be a huge money-makeing blockbuster film so one cannot expect it to gross like... a Stones tour.

I'll be seeing if this weekend..
Most movie bios disappoint because they try and recreate the music with weak, bland and modern re-recordings and performances and it loses some of what made that artist great. I was worried how they'd handle the music in this film. Mick's involvement gives me hope because he gets it..
You can't recreate a James Brown groove. So I'm glad they're using the real thing.

Get On Up: No Bill Wyman
Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: August 4, 2014 02:18

I saw "Get On Up" today. During the TAMI Show scene, there were only 4 Rolling Stones watching James Brown. At first I thought, did Mick reeally cut Bill out of this?!!!

The announcer says "...The Five Rolling Stones...". Then in the short clip there are only four. Well.......Bill WAS actaully missing from Around & Around. Where on earth was he? Was he late? He was there for the other songs.

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Re: Get On Up: No Bill Wyman
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 4, 2014 02:25

In the bathroom, he had to pee.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 4, 2014 02:56

Mick said Bill's character could only play on two songs in the movie, so Bill vowed to "never again" have himself portrayed in a Mick-produced music bio.

Date: August 4, 2014 02:56

Bill was deep in conversation with one of the "Shindig" dancers.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 4, 2014 03:18

stonehearted
Mick said Bill's character could only play on two songs in the movie, so Bill vowed to "never again" have himself portrayed in a Mick-produced music bio.

Where do you get this? What is your source(s)?

plexi

Posted by: vincentwhirlwind ()
Date: August 4, 2014 03:19

How was the movie?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 4, 2014 03:29

Bill wasn't missing on Around and Around. It's just that the camera didn't pan to the far left to film him.

Date: August 4, 2014 03:35

The movie was good. On a 1-10, I'd give it a 7. It's worth seeing. 138 minutes that go by fast.

Minor spoiler alert:

The music and acting are top-notch. Chadwick Boseman is great as James Brown. Much of the latter part of his life is skimmed over (i.e. no third wife). A couple of the flashbacks are difficult to keep up with (i.e. when his mother visits him as a sucess, I'm not sure what year it is). I'm a fan, but not a huge fan, so i don't know if there were any histrocial errors. It was a balanced view of Mr Brown.

Date: August 4, 2014 03:44

DGA35
Bill wasn't missing on Around and Around. It's just that the camera didn't pan to the far left to film him.

If true, then Mick Jagger cut him out of "Get On Up".

Date: August 4, 2014 03:48

timbernardis
stonehearted

Where do you get this? What is your source(s)?

plexi

One of the waitresses at Sticky Fingers restaurant. But don't let anyone else know that I revealed my source(s).

Date: August 4, 2014 03:53

To be honest, DGA35 is correct!

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: August 4, 2014 03:56

Do they delve into part where he was not buried for awhile after his death and why?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 4, 2014 04:02

Brstonesfan
Do they delve into part where he was not buried for awhile after his death and why?

No. They don't talk about his death. The movie ends with just the date of his death. No big deal. The movie is about what made the man, what made him the way his was.
Good movie overall.

Yeah Bill was not portrayed. Just 4 lads standing just off stage watching Brown perform. I guess its Mick sticking it to Wyman.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 4, 2014 04:26

Further to my first reply regarding Bill and Around and Around, if you watch the DVD, when the band comes on stage, you can't see Bill but you can see his shadow next to Brian briefly as Brian is plugging his guitar into the amp.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: August 4, 2014 10:27

The One
“Get On Up.”

BY DAVID DENBY

[www.newyorker.com]

Date: August 4, 2014 14:35

It seems like I've been reading David Denby in the New Yorker for years.
And I never imagined that he would be The One himself to write such an insightful review.

Posted by: ZantiMisfit ()
Date: August 4, 2014 18:26

I predict the final tally in the U.S. will be around $25 million. In the U.S., films make most of their box office numbers the first weekend, then drop off dramatically.

Date: August 4, 2014 18:33

ZantiMisfit
I predict the final tally in the U.S. will be around $25 million. In the U.S., films make most of their box office numbers the first weekend, then drop off dramatically.

I went late Saturday afternoon to see it. I don't think there were more than 25 people in the movie theater. A shame.

Date: August 4, 2014 19:29

You have to give this film two more weeks to tell the tale. It depends on word of mouth.

It's summer and the young ones haven't a clue as to who James Brown is.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: August 4, 2014 19:31

ZantiMisfit

Well, you're wrong. To say about the low-budget movie that it bombed while it took third place in the box office - it's just bias. The film made half of its budget in the first weekend, they are excellent results, especially for the film not designed for teenagers and without any big star
btw - except USA there are other places on Earth, did you know that?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-04 19:35 by proudmary.

Date: August 4, 2014 20:03

THANK YOU PROUDMARY!

FACTUAL AND TO THE POINT.

Date: August 4, 2014 20:29

Dang! The premiere in Oslo is January 9 next year! Why? confused smiley

Date: August 5, 2014 03:45

More Hot Rocks
ZantiMisfit

I went late Saturday afternoon to see it. I don't think there were more than 25 people in the movie theater. A shame.

There were only about 25 in the theater here too. 1:15pm on Sunday (North Carolina)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-05 03:46 by bigfrankie.

Date: August 5, 2014 04:30

<<There were only about 25 in the theater here too. 1:15pm on Sunday>>

That's because all the fun and interesting people are still sleeping off their Saturday night.

Would you go to a James Brown concert at 1:15 in the afternoon? Of course not. Because the night time is the right time, and the night train is always packed....

Date: August 5, 2014 07:01

My show was at 3:50....same results.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 8 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1388
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home