Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Favourite Hendrix Album
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 27, 2013 15:44

stonesrule
Axis Bold as Love was a very important album for Hendrix and his musician friends.

more please!

my favorite is Electric Ladyland.

Ms. stonesrule, you knew the man..

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: August 27, 2013 15:56

I was a fan back in the day and will always regret not going to see him at his ,
Isle of Wight gig.
But despite all this I am not actually familiar with any of his albums,I had of course heard then on friends turntables and had a couple of items on cassette.
I always felt as I had not actually bought them when he was alive I felt a bit of a ghoul and never bought any ,saying that I have a very poorish live set somewhere that I was given about 20 years ago.
So I think I should have a couple of his in my collection now,so any help with a good example would be well recieved.

Date: August 27, 2013 16:00

Axis: Bold As Love is a beautiful album.

Jimi was at his best when he played short rhythm-based licks or when he took it down a notch and combined different styles, like he did mostly on his albums, imo.

Little Wing was, together with Angie, one of the first songs I learnt note for note when I started playing the guitar. Beautiful stuff from a great guitar player.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-27 16:02 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 27, 2013 16:02

Silver Dagger
keefriffhard4life
Silver Dagger
His songs peaked on Axis Bold As Love.

His playing and studio mastery peaked on Electric Ladyland.

i actually think what he was doing at the end of his life was his best stuff

Wow - like what. I'd love to have heard his jams with Miles Davis. I love the songs off Cry of Love and Pali Gap is incredible but I can't say I'd put them over his Experience material.
Noel Redding was a good friend of mine and I remember him ticking me off for saying I was hugely into early 'Hendrix'. He said 'you mean the Experience'. I never made that mistake again. Anyway, I digress....

the stuff that now makes up the first rays album, the little bit from the unreleased Black Gold project that has come out, the last 2 discs of the purple experience hendrix boxset,valleys of the neptune and people hell ans angels. all of this stuff is great imo. i think all of this stuff is great and shows a huge progression. i think if hendrix had lived his work in the 70's would have been similar to steve wonder or sly stone

Date: August 27, 2013 16:31

no one could create images with guitar playing like Jimi Hendrix..

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 27, 2013 17:36

These are the essential studio albums:

Are You Experienced (1967)
Axis: Bold As Love (1967)
Electric Ladyland (1968)
First Rays Of The New Rising Sun (1997, recorded 1968-1970)

And then you´ll want more...grinning smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 27, 2013 18:17

Experience Hendrix: The Best of Jimi Hendrix

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 27, 2013 18:48

Silver Dagger
keefriffhard4life
Silver Dagger
His songs peaked on Axis Bold As Love.

His playing and studio mastery peaked on Electric Ladyland.

i actually think what he was doing at the end of his life was his best stuff

Wow - like what. I'd love to have heard his jams with Miles Davis. I love the songs off Cry of Love and Pali Gap is incredible but I can't say I'd put them over his Experience material.
Noel Redding was a good friend of mine and I remember him ticking me off for saying I was hugely into early 'Hendrix'. He said 'you mean the Experience'. I never made that mistake again. Anyway, I digress....

The jams with Miles Davis never happened.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: August 27, 2013 19:32

With such emphasis on Hendrix's guitar playing, his wonderful lyrics are often overlooked.

Date: August 27, 2013 19:39

GumbootCloggeroo
With such emphasis on Hendrix's guitar playing, his wonderful lyrics are often overlooked.

wonder what it would have been like if hendrix had gotten a lead singer like he wanted?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 27, 2013 19:43

GumbootCloggeroo

Yeah. what sometimes bothers me is that Hendrix is seen "just" an exceptional guitarist (which he was), but at least for me what is impressive is how creative musician and music-maker he as a whole was. I think his exceptional musicality and creativity is also the reason why I happen to love his guitar playing so much (I generally don't care too much about guitar solos or "heroes" and that sort of stuff). Nice for guitar nerds that his main instrument of expression was guitar, but I sometimes get the feeling that this guitar fetisism misses the whole point in Hendrix's extraordinarity. I truely think he was the most gifted music maker and musician rock music circus has ever seen. If the term "genious" has any point in these circles, Jimi Hendrix is the one to apply that for.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-27 19:45 by Doxa.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 27, 2013 19:50

Definitely Electric Ladyland for me.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: August 27, 2013 20:18

Jimi Hendrix did jam with Larry Young who also played with Miles "Bitches Brew".

Posted by: varv ()
Date: August 27, 2013 21:52

All of them,but if I had to choose it would be Electric Ladyland. I honestly thought about 99% of the posts here would say that.

Date: August 27, 2013 21:55

varv
All of them,but if I had to choose it would be Electric Ladyland. I honestly thought about 99% of the posts here would say that.

its one I listen to frequently.

also: the 'Live Monterey Pop Festival' album..one side Hendrix, the other Otis Redding (with the full Stax band)

amazing

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 27, 2013 23:33

duke richardson

also: the 'Live Monterey Pop Festival' album..one side Hendrix, the other Otis Redding (with the full Stax band)

amazing

Yeah, probably the best live album ever released. Both sides superb.

- Doxa

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: August 27, 2013 23:40

runaway
Jimi Hendrix did jam with Larry Young who also played with Miles "Bitches Brew".

More Miles "Bitches Brew" related recordings around that time.

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: August 27, 2013 23:49

Are You Experienced US version smileys with beer

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: August 28, 2013 01:30

I have always been a great hendrix fan, his wild, loud, yet in a way his melocic way of playing, and I love his singing no matter what anybody says name my bands covers of JH : hey joe and & Fire

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: August 28, 2013 01:56

One album I haven't seen mentioned that I really love came out in 1982 on CBS record called The Jimi Hendrix Concerts. I don't know if it's available anymore but it had amazing versions of Are You Experienced, Little Wing and IMO, the best Voodoo Child. All the original sources are probably out in their full show versions now, but at the time it was an absolute gold mine.

Posted by: Mikael ()
Date: August 28, 2013 03:29

Royal Albert Hall - Absolutely stunning version of Voodoo Child! And Roomful of Mirrors. Well at least until the flute joins in...

Ladyland and First Rays are also contenders.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 28, 2013 03:39

Electric Ladyland

But I really liked where he was going with those Band of Gypsies/Fillmore shows.

What might have been.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 28, 2013 04:02

Are You Experienced is my favorite

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: August 28, 2013 10:25

shawnriffhard1
One album I haven't seen mentioned that I really love came out in 1982 on CBS record called The Jimi Hendrix Concerts. I don't know if it's available anymore but it had amazing versions of Are You Experienced, Little Wing and IMO, the best Voodoo Child. All the original sources are probably out in their full show versions now, but at the time it was an absolute gold mine.

That´s one of my favourites too. A very good sounding album, though the songs from Winterland sound even better on the album they released in 2011.

[en.wikipedia.org]

[en.wikipedia.org])

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-28 10:27 by Svartmer.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: August 28, 2013 13:37

I am not sure if this album counts but here goes:

The LA Forum Concert CD from the LIFELINES box set ( a/k/a the "fourth CD" ). Absolutely incredible.

I have a bootleg of this concert on a 2LP set that contains an extra song on it plus some some extra dialog between songs. I REALLY need to learn how to post shows on here.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: August 28, 2013 15:51

svt22

Thanks for your clip

Driving South Jimi Hendrix and John McLaughlin, Two Greats in a jam.

Driving South/ Jimi Hendrix and Curtis Knight, a different version vinylboot.

Date: August 28, 2013 16:25

svt22
runaway

Darn! I wasted 12:06 minutes grinning smiley That was really a boring jam, imo. More like a warm up, before a rehearsal or something.

Do you enjoy the playing here, svt?

You posted a McLaughlin-interview about this session earlier, didn't you? Are there more songs from these sessions?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-28 17:01 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 28, 2013 17:57

Reading through these posts I keep thinking how amazed and pleased Jimi would be to know that all these years later people are enjoying and apppreciating his music.

That was all he really ever hoped for. Jimi was never ever about the...money.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 28, 2013 18:01

Re "Lifelines," that LA Forum concert was so much fun! The first time in my memory that there was a "mosh pit" suddenly exploded out of nowhere. The kids just went crazy!

The Forum and MSG in New York are my two favorite arenas of all time.

Date: August 28, 2013 18:20

stonesrule
Reading through these posts I keep thinking how amazed and pleased Jimi would be to know that all these years later people are enjoying and apppreciating his music.

That was all he really ever hoped for. Jimi was never ever about the...money.

interesting, and thanks..

didn't Jimi Hendrix know that what he was doing was advanced amazing art and would have lasting value..

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1984
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home