Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 67
Re: OT: Paul McCartney - "New" album and other Macca stuff
Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: September 19, 2014 19:46

gotdablouse
Looking forward to hearing the two new songs :
2. "Hell To Pay" (previously unreleased)
3. "Demons Dance" (previously unreleased)

Those and many others still in his vault.

OT - The Art Of McCartney Album Stream
Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: November 13, 2014 01:09

[www.rollingstone.com]

The 34-track entirety of The Art of McCartney, the compilation featuring a bevy of all-star musician covering songs Paul McCartney wrote with the Beatles, Wings and as a solo artist, is now streaming.

Among them are Bob Dylan ("Things We Said Today"), B.B. King ("On the Way"), Smokey Robinson ("So Bad"), Barry Gibb ("When I'm 64"), Brian Wilson ("Wanderlust"), Billy Joel ("Maybe I'm Amazed" and "Live and Let Die"), Kiss ("Venus and Mars" and "Rock Show") and Willie Nelson ("Yesterday"). The stream runs a little over two hours.

The compilation will come out officially on November 18th and will also be available in an expanded deluxe edition with an additional eight tracks, including McCartney covers by Alice Cooper, Cure frontman Robert Smith, Ronnie Spector, Booker T. Jones and Darlene Love, among others.

The deluxe box set version of The Art of McCartney, which has been limited to 1,000 copies, contains a hardcover book, a DVD documentary about the making of the comp and artwork signed by Beatles associate Alan Aldridge; it also comes in packaging designed to look like McCartney's iconic, violin-shaped Hofner bass.

Producer Ralph Sall came up with the idea for the release around the time that he worked with McCartney on polishing up the song "A Love for You," which the Beatle recorded in the sessions for his 1971 solo album Ram, for inclusion on the In-Laws soundtrack. At the time, he asked McCartney's permission to make the release and even recruited some of the singer-songwriter's backing band. The first artist to agree to record a song for it was Wilson, who asked to do "Wanderlust" from McCartney's 1982 solo LP Tug of War.

As tracks from the compilation have premiered online, many musicians have explained the impact McCartney had on them as songwriters. Among them are Alice Cooper, Corinne Bailey Rae and Billy Joel. "I love the song; it's kind of a whacked song," the latter said of his rendition of Paul McCartney and Wings' "Live and Let Die." "We used to do it at sound check; matter of fact we still do it at sound check. It's just fun to play because it's so over-the-top."

The Art of McCartney Track List:

1. Billy Joel - "Maybe I'm Amazed"
2. Bob Dylan - "Things We Said Today"
3. Heart - "Band on the Run"
4. Steve Miller - "Junior's Farm"
5. Yusuf Islam - "The Long and Winding Road"
6. Harry Connick, Jr. - "My Love"
7. Brian Wilson - "Wanderlust"
8. Corinne Bailey Rae - "Bluebird"
9. Willie Nelson - "Yesterday"
10. Jeff Lynne - "Junk"
11. Barry Gibb - "When I'm 64"
12. Jamie Cullum - "Every Night"
13. Kiss - "Venus and Mars"/"Rock Show"
14. Paul Rodgers - "Let Me Roll It"
15. Roger Daltrey - "Helter Skelter"
16. Def Leppard - "Helen Wheels"
17. The Cure, featuring James McCartney - "Hello Goodbye"
18. Billy Joel - "Live and Let Die"
19. Chrissie Hynde - "Let It Be"
20. Cheap Trick's Robin Zander and Rick Nielsen - "Jet"
21. Joe Elliott - "Hi Hi Hi"
22. Heart - "Letting Go"
23. Steve Miller - "Hey Jude"
24. Owl City - "Listen to What the Man Said"
25. Perry Farrell - "Got to Get You Into My Life"
26. Dion - "Drive My Car"
27. Allen Toussaint - "Lady Madonna"
28. Dr. John - "Let 'Em In"
29. Smokey Robinson - "So Bad"
30. The Airborne Toxic Event - "No More Lonely Nights"
31. Alice Cooper - "Eleanor Rigby"
32. Toots Hibbert with Sly & Robbie - "Come and Get It"
33. B.B. King - "On the Way"
34. Sammy Hagar - "Birthday"

Re: OT - The Art Of McCartney Album Stream
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 13, 2014 01:12

Yep, a lot of good stuff on there, Brian Wilson's "Wanderlust" version is really good!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: ash ()
Date: November 13, 2014 01:34

A lot of people are raving about Wanderlust. I don't like it at all and i consider myself a pretty serious Brian fan. I'm looking forward to hearing Bob Dylan destroy Things We Said Today. This album loses serious points for including a version of Long and Winding Road. That song is so horrible it actually makes me think the Stones might be better than The Beatles for around 4 minutes. Once it's over i regain my senses.
(Of course i'm joking. I never listen to it because it's so effing awful. Worst Beatle song ever.)

Posted by: paulovmaya ()
Date: November 13, 2014 01:35

Kiss/Paul Rodgers/Roger Daltrey and Def Leppard were my favorites.

Dylan's cover got a lot bad feedback but I am getting more and more used to his voice.

The songs were simply covers but none of them were substantially different from the original versions (besides the singer). For example, I'd love to see how Dr. John would really play "Let'Em In" with his flamboyant/jazzy/funky piano style. The lack of creative freedom could amazingly boost this tribute.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 13, 2014 01:38

I really want to hear Alice Cooper doing my favorite McCartney song, Smile Away!

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: November 13, 2014 02:09

Love the Dylan. Macca's band plays on the track, so it's a faithful rendition. And Bob's voice...wow. But in a good way...in my opinion.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 13, 2014 02:39

Hear hear regarding The Long and Winding Road being one of the worst songs of all time. It does not matter what you try to do with this song. It sucks sucks sucks. Regarding Dylan doing Things We Said Today, I'll pass on saying anything regarding his gravelly crooning through the tune. It's Dylan today, but.... Would have loved to hear the people on this tribute album do their own interpretation of McCartney's stuff. I wonder if it would be as good as the stuff the folks who reworked the Beatles songs at the Ukelele Beatles site did. And, I know this is a Stones site, but if you haven't checked out Ukelele Beatles, it's a "gas gas gas".

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 13, 2014 02:46

Dylan is more and more sounding like Tom Waits.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 13, 2014 02:48

I've spent the last 90 minutes searching my ITUNES...all I can find is that damn U2 album!

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: November 13, 2014 04:58

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 16:01 by camper88.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: November 13, 2014 05:59

Gave it a complete listen or 2. Dylan's track is a stand out. It sounds like Bob's touring band to me on that track, all the other music sounds like Macca's group and it is very derivative. The Kiss tracks, Heart tracks for example don't really feature the guests as musicians instead it's rock star karaoke. The musicianship is certainly solid. I wonder how much of the guitars and bass are Sir Paul himself. The mixes on the other hand are really aggressive, distracting and obnoxious, the wide panning quickly becomes fatiguing. A real case of trying too hard and resulting in everything sounding pretty much the same, too close to the originals with stupid added production. As a creative endeavor I'd give it a D. "The sound you make is muzak to my ears."

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 13, 2014 06:23

<<I think it's cool that Daltrey does Helter Skelter>>

A bit of light irony in that, as Paul has stated that it was after reading that the Who had just made the loudest, most raucous recording ever that inspired him to write Helter Skelter, because he wanted to have recorded the loudest, dirtiest recording ever.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: November 13, 2014 06:43

dmay
Hear hear regarding The Long and Winding Road being one of the worst songs of all time. It does not matter what you try to do with this song. It sucks sucks sucks. Regarding Dylan doing Things We Said Today, I'll pass on saying anything regarding his gravelly crooning through the tune. It's Dylan today, but.... Would have loved to hear the people on this tribute album do their own interpretation of McCartney's stuff. I wonder if it would be as good as the stuff the folks who reworked the Beatles songs at the Ukelele Beatles site did. And, I know this is a Stones site, but if you haven't checked out Ukelele Beatles, it's a "gas gas gas".

Long and Winding Road is quite good. To each his own.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 13, 2014 07:23

Man, I am loving this through and through. What a celebration!

Here it is:

I am loving this -- of COURSE Robert Smith grew up listening to the Beatles winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-13 08:17 by swiss.

Date: November 13, 2014 07:30

Long John Stoner
dmay

Long and Winding Road is quite good. To each his own.

Not a fan of the song, but the choice of Cat Stevens to cover it makes sense, and makes it about as good as it could be.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 13, 2014 08:47

DoomandGloom
Gave it a complete listen or 2. Dylan's track is a stand out. It sounds like Bob's touring band to me on that track, all the other music sounds like Macca's group and it is very derivative. The Kiss tracks, Heart tracks for example don't really feature the guests as musicians instead it's rock star karaoke. The musicianship is certainly solid. I wonder how much of the guitars and bass are Sir Paul himself. The mixes on the other hand are really aggressive, distracting and obnoxious, the wide panning quickly becomes fatiguing. A real case of trying too hard and resulting in everything sounding pretty much the same, too close to the originals with stupid added production. As a creative endeavor I'd give it a D. "The sound you make is muzak to my ears."
Totally agree. And its disappointing, because when I heard about this release it seemed like it could have a lot of promise. But then I got to thinking and I was like "when have they ever done a covers album with famous bands and its ever been, like, excellent". They just usually aren't. With this, its exactly what you say. It sounds like kareoke and it all starts to sound the same. People aren't truly making these songs their own and its just a race to get each song done. IMO, kind of like you said, each song sounds like the music could have been as quickly thrown together as it is for a TV show (like the Grammy night where its just random guys playing the songs) and then you have the singer giving it their small flair. But to me, at least from what I've heard, no one is being like Bowie, where they craft the song for themselves and it sounds different.

Whatever. Its not their fault. Like I said, its the thing with covers albums. And by covers albums, I mean the tribute ones. I just heard one a few weeks ago as a tribute to Aerosmith album. I looked it up and I was like Tesla, Dio, Slaughter, Ted Nugent? That sounds great. And all the songs just end up sounding like bland rehashings. I applaud them for trying though, but rarely do these types of albums ever work or warrant repeat listens. Also, maybe its just me, but the autotune seems INSANE on this thing. I noticed it on KISS and Alice Cooper (which they use on their own records but doesn't sound as noticable as it does here), but Billy Joel doesn't even sound like Billy Joel!

If there's anything that stands out, its that Bob Dylan sounds like the truest cover there. Sure its still kareoke-ish cause its just the song with Bob's vocals, but somehow his participation gives it more stature. Its like, he didn't just walk in and do that one day, even though he probably did. Willie Nelson's also sounded very much like Willie Nelson. Again, still waiting for Alice Cooper Smile Away, which will inevitably disappoint me!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 13, 2014 09:00

Thanks.
OP, suggest you edit first post...
Put a space between " and ) so that you don't get ")

Date: November 13, 2014 10:18

I disagree about it being unoriginal karaoke. In reality, Dylan is the only one among these artists who is truly Paul's peer -- and he twists up the song, appropriately according to his will and whim. I love Dylan's take. The others, mostly, are paying tribute to this music as fans -- and, no, they aren't taking liberties. Some are, tho. Like Dr John, Allan Toussaint, Toots and Sly & Robbie. BB King, to some degree.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 13, 2014 12:15

It's nice to hear from BB; he hasn't done an album since 2008.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: November 13, 2014 16:01

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 16:00 by camper88.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: November 13, 2014 16:13

Brian Wilson's take on "Wanderlust" just soars! Reminiscent of the Beach Boy's
rendition of "Sloop John B". Just love it!

Ross

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: November 13, 2014 16:14

Roger Daltrey and Def Leppards the rest suck

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: November 13, 2014 17:30

[url=

][/url] The only Beatle tribute I ever liked.. REM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-13 17:30 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 14, 2014 01:46

Speaking of the "art of McCartney, has anyone picked up the remastered deluxe versions of Venus and Mars and Wings at the Speed of Sound?

The remastering makes the overall sound fuller, which especially benefits the rhythm section, because a lot of that mid-seventies production seemed to suffer from muffled drum sounds, where even a powerhouse drummer like Joe English sounds like his drums were being played by rabbits scampering over the kit with those soft pattery production sounds. I always liked the quiet, reverb-soaked, and largely keyboard-driven atmosphere of the Speed of Sound album, but the fullness that the remastering gives to the rhythm section also helps accentuate other elements, such as Gibson guitar solos by Jimmy McCulloch, and in certain parts of such songs as The Note You Wrote and Wino Junko you get the sense of the subtle power of heavy rock pervading underneath the vibe of an otherwise mellow pop-rock mid-seventies album.

On the bonus disc for Venus and Mars there are several high points. Apart from the handful of Mardi Gras influenced outtakes, the disc starts out strong with the wayward period A and B side, Junior's Farm and Sally G, which are always a pleasure to hear. There is the single edit of Letting Go and an early version of Rock Show. There are two tracks, Soily and Baby Face, taken from the 1974 Wings Documentary One Hand Clapping. There's also the Ram-era outtake, Hey Diddle (first recorded in 1970), credited here as the "Ernie Winfrey mix", as redone in 1974.

On the Speed of Sound bonus disc, there are four Macca demos, including those for Silly Love Songs and Let 'Em In, plus a Paul vocal of a Joe English number (Must Do Something About It), as well as an unreleased original Paul song with the title Message To Joe, a short get-well message to his drummer recorded with a vocoder. And, of course, one of the selling points of the Speed of Sound reissue is the John Bonham version of Beware My Love. Joe English is no slouch himself, so here are both versions for comparison.

The Art of McCartney - Could there be a Stones equivalent?
Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: November 24, 2014 17:05

I've been listening to this all weekend. Amazing album. But I got to thinking that a similar album covering a range of great Stones tracks would be a really great idea. You could certainly have fun compiling a wish list of artists and what songs they could do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-24 17:06 by MrThompsonWooft.

Re: The Art of McCartney - Could there be a Stones equivalent?
Date: November 24, 2014 17:23

Here's a start:

Guns and Roses - Sympathy For The Devil
The Who - The Last Time or Under My Thumb
Gram Parsons - Wild Horses
David Bowie - Let's Spend The Night Together
The Beatles - I Wanna Be Your Man
Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: November 24, 2014 17:31

treaclefingers
Here's a start:

Guns and Roses - Sympathy For The Devil
The Who - The Last Time or Under My Thumb
Gram Parsons - Wild Horses
David Bowie - Let's Spend The Night Together
The Beatles - I Wanna Be Your Man
Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone

Perhaps we should have a rule that you can't nominate existing versions spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: November 24, 2014 17:32

Is this a real question? I don't quite get it..There have been covers of Stone songs since the start.

How about (no way near the complete list)

The Who
Linda Ronstadt
David Bowie
Rod Stewart
Santana
U2
Many Country artists
many Reggae artists
Symphonic Stones
The Cult
Joan Baez
Stereophonics
Sheryl Crow
Melanie
Bette Midler

I am sorry if I didn't understood the point you made.

Date: November 24, 2014 17:38

I think he just wants an album of Stones covers, a mix of new and old artists showing their reverence.

It's a good idea. I have a double CD of Dylan covers from a couple of years ago...magnificent.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2009
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home