Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839...LastNext
Current Page: 34 of 58
Re: 'Sticky Fingers' rereleased - 8/9 June
Posted by: Matt ()
Date: April 13, 2015 11:28

How interesting is a rerelease of an album that has been released numerous times before in different formats? To make it interesting there have to be bonus tracks
but there are only a few with this release. At least a new mix could have been interesting, why not a 5.1 mix? That would have added something you have never had before. But the same songs again in, I guess, a sound quality that can't be more improved than the SACD-version, and the MF album version, and some live recordings that if they had been really good, had been released before.
Mats

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: April 13, 2015 11:40

Matt
At least a new mix could have been interesting, why not a 5.1 mix? That would have added something you have never had before. But the same songs again in, I guess, a sound quality that can't be more improved than the SACD-version, and the MF album version, and some live recordings that if they had been really good, had been released before.
Mats

They could at least have used the flat transfer issued in 2011 in Japan, but no.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 14, 2015 13:46

Just got from amazon uk

The Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers"
Estimated arrival date: June 12 2015 - June 15 2015
One of our aims is to provide a convenient and efficient service but in this case, we've fallen short. Please accept our sincere apologies.

You haven't been charged for these items. We don't charge your payment card until just before your parcel is dispatched, at which time we'll send you an e-mail to confirm the payment details, estimated delivery date, contents and method of delivery.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 14, 2015 14:49

I cancelled my Super Deluxe box set order a few days ago. The hefty price tag seemed too much for what amounts to one extra CD on top the much cheaper packages. I've impulsively bought a few previous box sets and been fairly underwhelmed with the contents. Not going to get roped into the hype again and will instead hold out for a price drop.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 14, 2015 15:03

The thrown in DVD with just two songs of the Marquee show, which will be released within a couple of weeks anyway, is really laughable.

Even the DVD included with the Exile super deluxe edition had more to offer,the one with the Some Girls super deluxe unfortunately was more than questionable.

The reason I ordered the SF super deluxe remains the included Leeds show.
And the book...

Date: April 14, 2015 16:08

shortfatfanny
The thrown in DVD with just two songs of the Marquee show, which will be released within a couple of weeks anyway, is really laughable.

Even the DVD included with the Exile super deluxe edition had more to offer,the one with the Some Girls super deluxe unfortunately was more than questionable.

The reason I ordered the SF super deluxe remains the included Leeds show.
And the book...

They're both great items but I'm wondering if the Leeds CD will also form part of the Marquee DVD+CD release? It would certainly save me heaps of cash I could avoid buying the SD box set.

Date: April 14, 2015 16:20

Father Ted
Brussels 73 is a part of Marquee release in Japan. But that combo in the form of 3CD + DVD is a bit overpriced winking smiley

Date: April 14, 2015 17:07

ironbelly
Father Ted
Brussels 73 is a part of Marquee release in Japan. But that combo in the form of 3CD + DVD is a bit overpriced winking smiley

Do you think they'll include Brussels as the extra CD with Marquee outside of Japan?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 14, 2015 17:26

Personally I believe there will be another (affordable) Brussels stand alone release world wide. It's too big of a title not to be. Cool that it's included in the Japanese issue though, nice idea.

Date: April 14, 2015 17:45

Father Ted
ironbelly
Father Ted

Do you think they'll include Brussels as the extra CD with Marquee outside of Japan?
I wish. But who knows? At this point Japanese Superdeluxe 3CD + 5LP + BlueRay is roughly 210 Euros (~$230) before shipment and taxation and simple Japanese Deluxe 3CD + DVD appr. 80 Euros (~$83). It is not over the top for Superdeluxe, but a lot (if you add tax + S&H). I believe, most 'regular' fans can not afford that one.

I am sincerely second the thoughts of frankotero and hope that Brussels will be issued at 'budget' price for the ROW sooner or later. Otherwise, I'll stick to the old-good VGP and Totonka and official digital flac.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 14, 2015 17:49

ironbelly
Just got from amazon uk

The Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers"
Estimated arrival date: June 12 2015 - June 15 2015
One of our aims is to provide a convenient and efficient service but in this case, we've fallen short. Please accept our sincere apologies.

You haven't been charged for these items. We don't charge your payment card until just before your parcel is dispatched, at which time we'll send you an e-mail to confirm the payment details, estimated delivery date, contents and method of delivery.

Yep, got that too, I was worried it was en email saying they were canceling the order due to a price error...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 16, 2015 16:36

Re: "A Slight Delay"
Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: April 16, 2015 17:34

Naturalust
treaclefingers
mitch
gotdablouse
- He had better things to do, like playing and planning lucrative shows, which wasn't the case for the Exile and SG rereleases

Maybe but it could have been interesting a tour that promotes also the outtakes of the Deluxe edition.
I guess "Plundered My Soul", "I Ain't Signifying", "We Had It All" or "When You're Gone" wouldn't have been that bad played live.

as much as last tour was great, that was a disappointment....not playing any of these bonus tracks. truly would have enjoyed that.

It would be nice to hear some of the bonus tracks played live but by now it's pretty clear Mick isn't taking any chances that his audience won't connect with just about every song he attempts. As far as re-recording vocals I think it would be too obvious and the results would be questionable. Mick's singing has changed quite a bit since 1971, imo.

peace

Mick's singing has changed quite a bit since 1999..not to mention 2005.

I will be extremely disappointed if the ZIPCODE setlist is simply the same 18-20 songs as last couple tours.

Already disappointed that Mick Taylor is not a part of this one.

I can appreciate everybody's cynicism about SF reissue bonus material (& other reissue bonus material). Healthy cynicism.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 16, 2015 21:06

sweet neo con

I will be extremely disappointed if the ZIPCODE setlist is simply the same 18-20 songs as last couple tours.

I don't recommend you set yourself up for extreme disappointment. You can pretty much count on at least 2/3 of the show being the same. I won't be too disappointed since it's pretty obvious by now that they are sticking to the plan of pleasing the huge audiences with their favorite songs.

Alternatively, I will be delighted and surprised if they choose to do something a bit different. But in light of the stadium venues, the probability that this could be the last American tour and that they are all older men probably not wanting to take risks or do the hard work necessary accomplish this, I think the chances are very, very slim. In fact I think one of the reasons for them choosing to play all these places that they haven't been in a long time is to allow them to do the same show.

My last greatest hope is that after the tour they will chose to take some musical risks, record some new material and even play some smaller venues with unpredictable material, less production, fewer support musicians and indeed let Taylor have a serious go at the music again.

peace

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 17, 2015 01:07

The hype is already over. By the time this thing comes out no one will care - and without anything bonus wise in terms of unreleased tracks...

Not enough milk in the turnip for this one.

Date: April 17, 2015 02:30

GasLightStreet
The hype is already over. By the time this thing comes out no one will care - and without anything bonus wise in terms of unreleased tracks...

Well I'm still excited about it. Anxious to hear how the re-mastered tracks will sound and still very curious about the content and quality of the bonus material. Maybe not enough milk for you but the cream from this record is rich enough to peak my re-interest.

peace

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: April 17, 2015 06:13

treaclefingers
how is it possible that ABKCO, that was notorious for releasing stuff the Stones didn't want released through the 70s...how is it even possible they aren't milking it for everything it's worth right now.

There is an agreement - or at least a way of doing business - between the two sides now where they consult and approve what the other will release when it comes to the material they are mutually involved with.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 17, 2015 11:27

JMARKO
treaclefingers
how is it possible that ABKCO, that was notorious for releasing stuff the Stones didn't want released through the 70s...how is it even possible they aren't milking it for everything it's worth right now.

There is an agreement - or at least a way of doing business - between the two sides now where they consult and approve what the other will release when it comes to the material they are mutually involved with.

Yeah, it seems like the days of hostility between Allen Klein/ABKCO and the Rolling Stones (Records) are pretty much over. The lack of bonus tracks and anthology type albums from ABKCO is interesting, though. Considering how much they tried to milk the Stones back in the 60s-70s (with Metamorphosis, No Stone Unturned, etc.) you'd figure they'd love to churn out archive releases by the pound. My guess is that Jagger and his lawyers is holding them back. Perhaps we'll see more in the distant future when the Stones have ceased to exist.
I think there was an interview with Jody Klein (?) at ABKCO around the time of the release of the Ya-Ya's box with some hints about future releases, but I have no more info than that.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 17, 2015 11:33

Naturalust
GasLightStreet

Well I'm still excited about it. Anxious to hear how the re-mastered tracks will sound and still very curious about the content and quality of the bonus material. Maybe not enough milk for you but the cream from this record is rich enough to peak my re-interest.

peace

I'm looking forward to it too. Not the remastered SF tracks at all, but I hope one or two outtakes will be good (that CYHMK outtake will perhaps show something about the song's legendary development in the studio), and I'm a big sucker for golden era live recordings, so the Leeds, Roundhouse and Marquee material is going to be spectacular for sure! >grinning smiley<

Date: April 17, 2015 12:56

LieB
'Charlie Is My Darling' Deluxe was a good one. I mean, both in term of quality of audio/video and bonus material (Live in England 65 CD). I wish they can do similar release for other early tours and BBC sessions. We all know that BBC holds at least 1 hour of high quality material. That could be not the best 'BBC Sessions' in the long list of similar releases but still...

Date: April 17, 2015 15:07

Naturalust
GasLightStreet

peace
'

The remastered tracks? If you have the 2009 reissue then you have it. If I can get the other disc as a stand alone...

Date: April 17, 2015 19:48

GasLightStreet
Naturalust
GasLightStreet

peace
'

The remastered tracks? If you have the 2009 reissue then you have it. If I can get the other disc as a stand alone...

Hmm. I thought Jagger specifically talked about some remastering during one of his recent interviews. Seems to me something will be touched up on the record, are you sure this will be a duplicate of the 2009 effort?

peace

Posted by: mickboy ()
Date: April 19, 2015 01:30

sweet neo con
Naturalust
treaclefingers
mitch
gotdablouse
- He had better things to do, like playing and planning lucrative shows, which wasn't the case for the Exile and SG rereleases

Maybe but it could have been interesting a tour that promotes also the outtakes of the Deluxe edition.
I guess "Plundered My Soul", "I Ain't Signifying", "We Had It All" or "When You're Gone" wouldn't have been that bad played live.

as much as last tour was great, that was a disappointment....not playing any of these bonus tracks. truly would have enjoyed that.

It would be nice to hear some of the bonus tracks played live but by now it's pretty clear Mick isn't taking any chances that his audience won't connect with just about every song he attempts. As far as re-recording vocals I think it would be too obvious and the results would be questionable. Mick's singing has changed quite a bit since 1971, imo.

peace

Mick's singing has changed quite a bit since 1999..not to mention 2005.

Already disappointed that Mick Taylor is not a part of this one.

I can appreciate everybody's cynicism about SF reissue bonus material (& other reissue bonus material). Healthy cynicism.

Well yeah, when you see Collectors/fans/fanatics putting out Incredible packages, anniversary or otherwise, (the MB Torn and Frayed releases specifically) that for the most part, embarrass what the Stones have put out, damn right we've got a right to be cynics if that's what it's called for........
Mickboy

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 19, 2015 09:13

what are the MB Torn and Frayed releases?

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: April 19, 2015 09:33

I'm usually a sucker for a re-issue, assuming it has something new of value (and I think this one does), and I don't mind forking over some cash for a box set, but I think I'll pass on this one. They're betting that I want that Leeds CD enough to buy the Super Deluxe Box when they could easily have included it in the Deluxe set instead of the dumb 2 song Marquee DVD, I'm betting I don't.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 23, 2015 14:21

New release, April 23, 1971.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: April 23, 2015 14:49

NoCode0680
I'm usually a sucker for a re-issue, assuming it has something new of value (and I think this one does), and I don't mind forking over some cash for a box set, but I think I'll pass on this one. They're betting that I want that Leeds CD enough to buy the Super Deluxe Box when they could easily have included it in the Deluxe set instead of the dumb 2 song Marquee DVD, I'm betting I don't.

I'm with you there NoCode.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 23, 2015 15:44

Don Was talks 'Sticky Fingers' with Brian Ives of radio.com:

Speaking of the Stones, they just announced that they’re reissuing [1971’s] Sticky Fingers. I know you work on all of their reissues. Anything you can tell me about working on this one?

Unlike the other two that we worked on, [1972’s] Exile on Main Street and [1978’s] Some Girls, the actual outtake stockpile for Sticky Fingers is pretty much depleted. The stuff that didn’t go on Sticky Fingers went on Exile on Main Street. And the stuff that might have been left over from that ended up on [1981’s] Tattoo You. And a couple of songs that maybe didn’t make it on to Tattoo You, we worked on and finished for the [2010] Exile reissue. There’s a lot of over bleed—no pun intended—between [1969’s] Let It Bleed, [1968’s] Beggars Banquet, Sticky Fingers and Exile, but particularly Sticky Fingers and Exile. There just wasn’t enough stuff that no one had heard before.

The thing that will make this one different is the alternate takes, like “Brown Sugar” with Eric Clapton and the acoustic “Wild Horses.” But they’re all just different versions of songs. The bonus disc is rounded out with some live performances. It’s a little different from Exile and Some Girls in that we didn’t go back and try to finish anything.

When did the Stones record “Brown Sugar” with Eric Clapton?

I think it was recorded at a party in the studio and Clapton was there. It was a casual undertaking. They have a lot of versions of a lot of songs. They always chose the right ones, by the way.

Even without bonus tracks, Sticky Fingers is such a classic.

I’ve often spoken with the Stones about one of the advantages of vinyl being that it was just 36 to 40 minutes long, and there was no tolerance for filler. You had to self-edit constantly. A couple of the records we’ve done together, I’d prepared 36 minute versions for them. I know we did it for [1994’s] Voodoo Lounge and I think we did it for 1997’s Bridges to Babylon too. Some of them, if they were 36 minutes instead of 72 minutes, they would absolutely hold up to Let It Bleed and those older albums. But those days are gone.

[radio.com]

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 23, 2015 15:49

Father Ted
NoCode0680

I'm with you there NoCode.

Just cancelled my Superdeluxe edition too !!
Jeroen

Date: April 23, 2015 16:29

Naturalust
GasLightStreet
Naturalust
GasLightStreet

peace
'

Hmm. I thought Jagger specifically talked about some remastering during one of his recent interviews. Seems to me something will be touched up on the record, are you sure this will be a duplicate of the 2009 effort?

peace

I think this was posted back on page (I have no idea, a long time ago, in a galaxy far...) in this thread but I can't remember so I looked it up:

All the versions (ie formats) reissue utilise the 2009 mastering – this has been confirmed to SDE by Universal Music.

[www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839...LastNext
Current Page: 34 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1725
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home