Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 58
Re: 'Sticky Fingers' reissue in 2015?
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 17, 2014 12:50

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
KennedyLetsWork
DandelionPowderman
FeelTheFire
I will be very disappointed if C.S Blues is not on it.

Why should it be? If they released that, it would have been with the Exile release.

Nope. Recorded in 1970 during the Sticky Fingers sessions. Intended to be their final obligation to Robert Klein and Decca, but was subsequently replaced by Brown Sugar in fulfilling that obligation.

The song was indeed recorded in 1970. Also official released in Germany in 1983. I was thinking about the movie.

CS Blues has never been officially released in Germany.

Mathijs

It was included as a one-sided, blank label single in early editions of the German compilation "The Rest Of The Best" (Decca 6.30125) in 1983 and very quickly withdrawn. [www.45cat.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: December 17, 2014 12:52

I just edited my post smiling smiley

Unfortunately, my copy of TROTB is one of the later ones...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-17 12:53 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: December 17, 2014 16:55

Deltics

It was included as a one-sided, blank label single in early editions of the German compilation "The Rest Of The Best" (Decca 6.30125) in 1983 and very quickly withdrawn.

This release has always intrigued me .
Did they use the original master for this german release?
I may be wrong but I doubt it.

Is the sound quality therefore superior to the widely circulating bootleg version?
I never had the chance to get an ear on this particular release but I wouldn't qualify the circulating bootlegs versions sound quality as "official".

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 17, 2014 17:13

HOPEFULLY we'll get the proper tongue with it!!!!!!!!!!

Date: December 17, 2014 17:24

GasLightStreet
HOPEFULLY we'll get the proper tongue with it!!!!!!!!!!

Will probably be a chimp with a zip this time...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 17, 2014 17:27

Oh mannnn!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 17, 2014 18:23

- Travellin man
- Hillside Blues
- Co.cksuker Blues
- Criss Cross Man
- Trident Jam
- You should have seen her ass
- Highway Child
- Brown sugar (with Eric Clapton)
- Living in the heart of Love
- Fast Talking, Slow Walkin
- Potted Shrimp

thumbs up

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 17, 2014 18:26

The Rolling Stones and Eagle Rock Entertainment are on the hunt for classic footage!
The Stones played the BBC's Top Of The Pops on 22nd April 1971. They performed Wild Horses, Bitch and Brown Sugar. Here's the amazing footage of Brown Sugar, unfortunately the video of Wild Horses and Bitch is missing. Have you ever seen it? Please comment below!

[www.facebook.com]

Date: December 17, 2014 18:29

KRiffhard
- Travellin man
- Hillside Blues
- Co.cksuker Blues
- Criss Cross Man
- Trident Jam
- Highway Child
- Potted Shrimp

thumbs up

thumbs down

Date: December 17, 2014 18:33

Cristiano Radtke
The Rolling Stones and Eagle Rock Entertainment are on the hunt for classic footage!
The Stones played the BBC's Top Of The Pops on 22nd April 1971. They performed Wild Horses, Bitch and Brown Sugar. Here's the amazing footage of Brown Sugar, unfortunately the video of Wild Horses and Bitch is missing. Have you ever seen it? Please comment below!

[www.facebook.com]

For the unreleased stuff traders circle, it is the time to negociate.

Posted by: gimmedanger ()
Date: December 18, 2014 07:29

Cristiano Radtke

[www.facebook.com]

That doesn't bode well then - I was hoping that they would surprise us by revealing that they've had all this material safely tucked away in the vault.

The BBC is a bloody joke.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: December 18, 2014 21:01

mitch
Deltics

It was included as a one-sided, blank label single in early editions of the German compilation "The Rest Of The Best" (Decca 6.30125) in 1983 and very quickly withdrawn.

Is the sound quality therefore superior to the widely circulating bootleg version?
I never had the chance to get an ear on this particular release but I wouldn't qualify the circulating bootlegs versions sound quality as "official".

Unfortunately this single was most likely taken from a bootleg source, and not in the best available sound quality either...
(I used to have it, but sold it a couple of years ago)

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 18, 2014 21:17

gimmedanger
Cristiano Radtke

[www.facebook.com]

That doesn't bode well then - I was hoping that they would surprise us by revealing that they've had all this material safely tucked away in the vault.

Retarded if you ask me. Sorry BBC but it is and Im sure everyone there agrees today.

The NME comeback gig of 1968, the actual debut of JJF, the very last real live footage ever of Brian Jones (more or less), their first comeback - gone. Nowhere to be found. Gone. Erased.

Wild horses and Bitch WITH l i v e vocals (some of the best Jagger's done judging by Brown Sugar) - gone. Does not exist.

Seriously, w t f were they thinking? We're probably lucky to have anything from those vaults.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 18, 2014 22:05

mitch
KRiffhard
- Travellin man
- Hillside Blues
- Co.cksuker Blues
- Criss Cross Man
- Trident Jam
- Highway Child
- Potted Shrimp

thumbs up

thumbs down

thumbs up

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 18, 2014 22:19

Redhotcarpet

The NME comeback gig of 1968, the actual debut of JJF, the very last real live footage ever of Brian Jones (more or less),

Re this one or the TOTP'71 segment Bill Wyman has these stored in his own vault. Jagger just has to ask nicely and Wyman will reply... "bugger off Mick!" >grinning smiley<

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 18, 2014 22:24

RipThisBone
mitch
KRiffhard
- Travellin man
- Hillside Blues
- Co.cksuker Blues
- Criss Cross Man
- Trident Jam
- Highway Child
- Potted Shrimp

thumbs up

thumbs down

thumbs up

thumbs down...................................................................................................................................................................Just joking

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 18, 2014 23:17

NICOS
RipThisBone
mitch
KRiffhard
- Travellin man
- Hillside Blues
- Co.cksuker Blues
- Criss Cross Man
- Trident Jam
- Highway Child
- Potted Shrimp

thumbs up

thumbs down

thumbs up

thumbs down...................................................................................................................................................................Just joking

thumbs up I was serious.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: December 19, 2014 02:59

rootsman
mitch
Deltics

Unfortunately this single was most likely taken from a bootleg source, and not in the best available sound quality either...
(I used to have it, but sold it a couple of years ago)

That's right. I was in touch with Wolfgang Michels, the compiler of the box set, at the time of the release, a musician ("Percewood's Onagram") and Stones fan himself, and he confirmed that he was denied access to the DECCA archives in London. So he had to dub CS Blues from, ahem, "unofficial sources". Same story with "Tell Me II" on the box set itself, which, of course is not a different take of "Tell Me", but the Chess outtake "Tell Me Baby" aka "How Many Times", the Broonzy composition - a totally different composition altogether: the crackles on this official release indicate a dub from a bootleg source, most likely "Bright Lights, Big City".

"The Rest Of The Best" was a strange beast, so to speak. An official release by TELDEC in Germany (Telefunken-DECCA), sure, but including some tracks where a proper rights clearance obviously did not happen.

DECCA London answered with a court injunction against CS Blues. The bonus single had to be removed from the box sets still in TELDEC's distribution center. But the court injunction did not affect "Tell Me II", the Chess outtake, as the box itself (minus the CS blues single) was distributed without any changes until its final withdrawal from the TELDEC catalog much later.

The whole story remains a bit of a mystery, as Michels claimed that the contents of The Rest Of The Best were cleared with their London DECCA headquarter, so it appears that someone else must have been behind the injunction that led to the CS Blues withdrawal (ABKCO? The Stones themselves?), forcing DECCA London to act as they finally did.

Furthermore, with a proper "clearance" there would have been no need to disguise "Tell Me Baby, How Many Times" as "Tell Me II". And the inclusion of CS Blues on a separate bonus 7" single seems to indicate that TELDEC Germany were preparing themselves for possible trouble - a separate piece of vinyl can easily be removed from a box set "just in case".

Anyway, it's an interesting time piece, and something that probably would not happen in today's boring, perfectly organized world, at least in copyright terms. But those were the times!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-19 03:18 by alimente.

Posted by: gimmedanger ()
Date: December 19, 2014 09:34

Redhotcarpet
gimmedanger
Cristiano Radtke

[www.facebook.com]

Retarded if you ask me. Sorry BBC but it is and Im sure everyone there agrees today.

The NME comeback gig of 1968, the actual debut of JJF, the very last real live footage ever of Brian Jones (more or less), their first comeback - gone. Nowhere to be found. Gone. Erased.

Wild horses and Bitch WITH l i v e vocals (some of the best Jagger's done judging by Brown Sugar) - gone. Does not exist.

Seriously, w t f were they thinking? We're probably lucky to have anything from those vaults.

What annoys me the most is that they've got unequalled access to the best events in the music industry and we, the people that are forced to pay for it all, get sod all out of it. I don't know how many people they send to Glastonbury but it usually garners column inches everytime it rolls around but what do we get out of it? A one hour highlights show at 11pm if we're lucky. They get people in for a radio session and it's played once or twice and then it disappears into the vault never to be seen again.

Anyway, I'd love to see all the of TOTP performances seeing as those 3 tracks are some of my favourites. I have to say that their plea for any collectors to come forward is a bit worrying.

I for one would love to have the Hot Rocks alternate mixes and C o c k sucker Blues included on the deluxe edition

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 19, 2014 09:35

Thanks, alimente, for clarifying the details of that odd release! By the way, I wasn't even awere of the existence of that "Tell Me II".

- Doxa

Date: December 19, 2014 10:18

thumbs up
RipThisBone
NICOS
RipThisBone
mitch
KRiffhard
- Travellin man
- Hillside Blues
- Co.cksuker Blues
- Criss Cross Man
- Trident Jam
- Highway Child
- Potted Shrimp

thumbs up

thumbs down

thumbs up

thumbs up I was serious.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 19, 2014 10:21

Certainly by 1971 the music business began to realize that archiving material was a good idea? I think there must be reasonable amount of audio/video to make a fantastic edition of Sticky Fingers. This reminds me of waiting to see a setlist.

Date: December 19, 2014 10:51

RipThisBone
NICOS
RipThisBone
mitch
KRiffhard
- Travellin man
- Hillside Blues
- Co.cksuker Blues
- Criss Cross Man
- Trident Jam
- Highway Child
- Potted Shrimp

thumbs up

thumbs down

thumbs up

thumbs up I was serious.

Good collection, but what do most of these tunes have to do with SF?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 19, 2014 11:20

TOTP is nice to see, but those tv performances aren't that much compared to complete live shows (such as 4-5 gigs audio-recorded during the '71, according to Wyman's book). And there is a bigger chance that those tapes still exist in decent shape (especially considering the great stuff they have released, like Archive series and the bonus tracks on the Ya-Ya's box).

Date: December 19, 2014 11:22

DandelionPowderman
Good collection, but what do most of these tunes have to do with SF?

Nothing to do with SF, beside the fact those are tracks we all already have in good qulity since ages.

Anyway, this is a useless debate as the "new" tracks must have been choosen and reworked monthes/year ago. Th stones very probably won't follow those tracklist "advices"...

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: December 19, 2014 11:58

Thanks Alimente, never heard of "Tell me II" before.

I see on discogs
a track called "Da Doo Ron Ron".
What's this ???

Date: December 19, 2014 12:02

djgab

I see on discogs
What's this ???

Officially released, among others on this one:

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 19, 2014 12:17

djgab

I see on discogs
What's this ???

Originally released on this in 1964 as was the version of "Memphis Tennessee" also included on "The Rest Of The Best".

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-19 12:31 by Deltics.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: December 19, 2014 12:35

thanks Deltics and Dandelion for the precision about that dadooronron.

the discogs links was for the same compilation "rest of the best" discussed before in the same thread.

Date: December 19, 2014 12:38

djgab
thanks Deltics and Dandelion for the precision about that dadooronron.

the discogs links was for the same compilation "rest of the best" discussed before in the same thread.

It's a compilation worth having thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1569
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home