Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Track Talk: Oh No, Not You Again
Posted by: René ()
Date: August 12, 2013 10:27

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Oh No, Not You Again
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

La Fourchette, Pocé sur Cisse, France & St. Vincent, West Indies,
June - September 2004, La Fourchette, Pocé sur Cisse, France,
November - December 2004, March 7 - 9 & March 14 - June 2005 and
Ocean Way Recording Studios, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, US,
June 6 - 28, 2005

Mick Jagger - vocals, electric guitar
Keith Richards - electric guitar, bass
Charlie Watts - drums
Ron Wood - electric guitar
Darryl Jones - bass

Here you stand before me, waiting to be kissed
You're a beauty, such a cutie, how could I resist
It's been a month of Sundays since we last had spoke
So much water, you’ve got daughters, I fell out the boat
Oh no, not you again, @#$%& up my life
It was bad the first time, I can't stand it twice
Oh no, not you again, I can't stand the pace
Once bitten, twice shy, let me out the race

The setting's so romantic, love is in the air
All is perfect, but I'm allergic to your piercing stares
You look so cool and tempting in your couture dress
You're addictive, as predicted, I'm nervous, I confess, oh
Oh no, not you again, messing up my life
It was bad the first time, yeah, you had me in a vice
Oh no, not you again, I hear the inner shout
It was bad first time around when you turned me inside out, yeah

Everybody's talking, showing off their wit
The moon is yellow, well, I'm like jello, staring down your tits
My life flashes forward, then it flashes back
I’m still dreaming and I'm screaming, get me off the rack
Oh no, not you again, I can't stand the pain
I was burnt the first time, yeah, I can't deal again
Oh no, not you again, messing up my life, yeah
Once bitten, twice shy, but I can't do it twice
Oh no, not you again, @#$%& up my life
It was bad first time around, I better take my own advice
Oh no, oh no, oh no

Produced by Don Was & The Glimmer Twins

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “A Bigger Bang” CD
(Virgin Records / EMI TOCP 66440) Japan, August 31, 2005

Re: Track Talk: Oh No, Not You Again
Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: August 12, 2013 10:41

This could have been a classic
I like it

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 12, 2013 11:09

The best song on A Bigger Bang, imho.

Date: August 12, 2013 11:33

Good idea, but it sounds totally unfinished to me. That was probably the intention as well, but it's too rough for me to enjoy - especially Keith's guitar.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 12, 2013 11:43

A nice B side.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 12, 2013 11:50

Nice title, bad lyrics. A bit too rough indeed as DandelionPowderman put it. The Stray Cat Blues quote towards the end is good though.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 12, 2013 12:00

One of those tracks that blurs into a long list of songs recorded by the Stones since 89 that are nothing special. Filler but not killer for me.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 12, 2013 12:58

A slapdash, offhand, mediocre rocker, which at first listen may appear to be bursting with energy but in fact contains little genuine spark, let alone originality. Uninspired lyrics, verging on the puerile with the tits reference. Not the worst track on ABB, but entirely disposable.

Drew

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: August 12, 2013 13:49

Not bad, I like flip the switch better

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 12, 2013 13:57

Many late-day Stones tunes sound somehow under-worked, but this one, as noted, really sounds like an unfinished deal. Could be intentional, but makes me wonder if Keith's claim in LIFE is true that Jagger would have liked to go "proper" studio to finish the album, but Keith and Don Was vetoed, that it was a track like this one Jagger had in mind. The other issue is that could they have made any better of this mediocre track by polishing, of which I'm rather skeptical.

A typical Stones-by-numbers tune, the band so much in their safe zone that is no wonder if not any creative spark is to be heard. Like noted above, the "energy" in delivery is rather illusional - a bit like a make up thing to hide the other weaknesses, and the track don't stand many (two?) listenings.

- Doxa

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: August 12, 2013 14:10

One of the best latter day era songs. But it sounded horrible in concert, never heard a great live version.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 12, 2013 14:25

I think LMDS was one of the best crafted songs on ABB and is very under rated.

I loved it on first hearing and still do.

The descending lines on the chorus are beautiful.

Date: August 12, 2013 14:50

Doxa
Many late-day Stones tunes sound somehow under-worked, but this one, as noted, really sounds like an unfinished deal. Could be intentional, but makes me wonder if Keith's claim in LIFE is true that Jagger would have liked to go "proper" studio to finish the album, but Keith and Don Was vetoed, that it was a track like this one Jagger had in mind. The other issue is that could they have made any better of this mediocre track by polishing, of which I'm rather skeptical.

A typical Stones-by-numbers tune, the band so much in their safe zone that is no wonder if not any creative spark is to be heard. Like noted above, the "energy" in delivery is rather illusional - a bit like a make up thing to hide the other weaknesses, and the track don't stand many (two?) listenings.

- Doxa

Well put Doxa. I think this was one of those songs where they decided to do a rocker but it ended up sounded completely phoned in. I think what they had in mind was to create another Where The Boys Go or Summer Romance but it's no where nearly as good as those.

Date: August 12, 2013 15:13

Silver Dagger
Doxa

- Doxa

Well put Doxa. I think this was one of those songs where they decided to do a rocker but it ended up sounded completely phoned in. I think what they had in mind was to create another Where The Boys Go or Summer Romance but it's no where nearly as good as those.

Agreed, but they did choose to make this the first new song from A Bigger Bang that they played for a public audience, in their surprise performance at the Juilliard School in New York City, which would suggest they had a certain amount of pride in this one. You don't trot something out to perform at the Juilliard if you recognize that it's mediocre. Or do you? Perhaps they knew but wanted to test the public's reception anyway.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-12 15:14 by drewmaster.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 12, 2013 15:16

Spud

For all you people (99% of you IORR:ans) who haven't listened to ABB for about seven years, LMDS means Let Me Down Slow.

Date: August 12, 2013 15:22

LieB
Spud

For all you people (99% of you IORR:ans) who haven't listened to ABB for about seven years, LMDS means Let Me Down Slow.

Hold on a second, I thought we were talking about ONNYA. How does LMDS come into it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-12 16:46 by Silver Dagger.

Date: August 12, 2013 15:26

drewmaster
Silver Dagger
Doxa

- Doxa

Agreed, but they did choose to make this the first new song from A Bigger Bang that they played for a public audience, in their surprise performance at the Juilliard School in New York City, which would suggest they had a certain amount of pride in this one. You don't trot something out to perform at the Juilliard if you recognize that it's mediocre. Or do you? Perhaps they knew but wanted to test the public's reception anyway.

Drew

Good point. I guess it was a case of them believing it was one of the best new songs they had which doesn't really say much for the rest of the album. I was lucky enough to see them perform Back Of My Hand at MSG that September (2005) and for me that was the highlight of the new material. Don't know why they didn't play that one more often.

Date: August 12, 2013 15:26

My fault...my mind evidenttly wandered .

Am I excused ? grinning smiley

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 12, 2013 15:27

I like this one a lot.

PNC Park stands out for me. The band seemed energized to play something new.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-12 15:29 by MingSubu.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 12, 2013 15:30

I thought the groove was ok on this one, lyrics not so great. Kind of like YGMR except that one had a great riff.

Date: August 12, 2013 15:31

Silver Dagger
drewmaster
Silver Dagger
Doxa

- Doxa

Drew

Good point. I guess it was a case of them believing it was one of the best new songs they had which doesn't really say much for the rest of the album. I was lucky enough to see them perform Back Of My Hand at MSG that September (2005) and for me that was the highlight of the new material. Don't know why they didn't play that one more often.

Yes. To me, this actually speaks to a larger point: do the Stones understand, anymore, what really good music is? In other words, even as their creative fires have dimmed, has their aesthetic judgment remained, or has it disappeared too?

Drew

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 12, 2013 15:47

I like it. I like this "garage" approach. Ron's guitar on the left and Keith "scratch-scratch" richards on the right trading riffs during the verse then full blown attach on the chorus. Lyrics are direct, no @#$%& around the bushes.The song sounds "drunk" like it could fall apart at any moment but for me it doesn't. I like that tension.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: August 12, 2013 15:50

Drew[/quote]
Yes. To me, this actually speaks to a larger point: do the Stones understand, anymore, what really good music is? In other words, even as their creative fires have dimmed, has their aesthetic judgment remained, or has it disappeared too?

Drew[/quote]

"aesthetic judgment ? " It's Only Rock N Roll confused smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 12, 2013 16:39

Totally boring song. No real melody and seems to drone on with little to no inspiration from the playing to the singing.

Date: August 12, 2013 16:48

Spud
My fault...my mind evidenttly wandered .

Am I excused ? grinning smiley

Yes, if you pass the doobie. grinning smiley

Date: August 12, 2013 16:56

drewmaster
Silver Dagger
drewmaster
Silver Dagger
Doxa

- Doxa

Drew

Drew

No, I don't think they know any more. I'd like to think it would be pretty easy for them to put together an album of authentic sounding country rock, reggae and blues and really clean up with it - a move which would re-ignite their critical acclaim and prove the nay-sayers wrong. Mick and Keith generally stopped writing classics when they moved to different continents.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: August 12, 2013 17:45

Silver Dagger
drewmaster
Silver Dagger
drewmaster
Silver Dagger
Doxa

- Doxa

Drew

Drew

No, I don't think they know any more. I'd like to think it would be pretty easy for them to put together an album of authentic sounding country rock, reggae and blues and really clean up with it - a move which would re-ignite their critical acclaim and prove the nay-sayers wrong. Mick and Keith generally stopped writing classics when they moved to different continents.

I would say that if they just "put together an album of authentic sounding country rock, reggae and blues and really clean up with it" - it would be a major disappointment. Authenticy isn't the main quality of Stones, it's the twisting and blending anew. The greatest example of that is SFTD, which in Goddard's film deveops from an "authentic"-sounding Dylan-track into something different and new.
I do not think Oh no not you again is a milestone, but I actually think that it manages to transmit energy and vitality in a way that their rockers haven't done since Start me up. Along with greater late-day tracks like It wont take long, Rain fall down and Laugh I nearly died it showed that the muse occationally was still there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-12 18:02 by GetYerAngie.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 12, 2013 17:49

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......................

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: August 12, 2013 17:55

1. The kick drum sounds TERRIBLE. It is a very loud boomy thud. How the engineers and Was failed to mix it correctly is beyond me.

2. The guitars are INCREDIBLY uneven. Ronnie/Mick in the left is way too low. Keith is doing boring fills on the right and is twice the volume of the other guitar.

3. Lyrics may be uninspired, but I do not listen to the Stones for lyrics so I can ignore this aspect.

4. The hidden guitars are too low in the mix! In particular the 'first' note in the chorus. There is a great note that gets hit in the background and should have been front n center.

Solid song, Ronnie was always down too low in the mix for anyone to really feel the power of this song both in the studio and live. Best version below...

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 12, 2013 18:09

I like it. This unexpectedly popped up in a "shuffle" on my iPod yesterday when I was exercising, and it was a nice surprise I hadn't listened to in a while.

Before I ever heard it the first time, someone at the old Stones Fan Club message board described it as reminiscent of LONELY AT THE TOP, and then I heard it and could see what that person meant. (Ronnie said Mick told him to take a "punk" approach, so it's supposed to be sloppy.)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1202
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home