Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: My band, a song in an advert, Argentina (and some minor Stones content).
Posted by: DD ()
Date: August 10, 2013 11:54

Hello to all,

Bjornulf has kindly agreed to my posting about this. One of the songs by my band, The Pickwicks, is currently being used as the soundtrack to an advert in Argentina. As there's a discernible Stones influence in there, I thought I'd put it up in case it's of interest to our wondrous and fine community here. It's called I'll Abide By What You Decide:

Interestingly for us here, one of the recent campaigns run by the company used 'She Was Hot' as the soundtrack, so I'm in good company. And the song is of course available for download from the usual etc., etc..., and I’d be grateful for any of your support. (I'd always had misgivings about the selling of songs for use in adverts, but the industry has changed irrevocably over the last decade and this sort of opportunity is something we smaller acts have to consider in the modern age.)

Anyway, happy listening.

Declan

www.howlrecords.com
www.facebook.com/thepickwicks

Re: OT: My band, a song in an advert, Argentina (and some minor Stones content).
Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: August 10, 2013 17:02

Hi Declan, I live in Argentina but haven't seen or heard the advert.
Do you have a link for it or do you know what product is it about?

Re: OT: My band, a song in an advert, Argentina (and some minor Stones content).
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 10, 2013 18:23

Lovely Declan, thanks for posting! Got better for me as the song continued. Very catchy and loved the almost awkward sounding title.

I have a question, besides the background vocals that I'm hearing is the lead vocal double tracked? Is that you singing?

In the video, liked the shot of the girl that cuts away just as she's about to sing.

Good job man!

Date: August 10, 2013 20:09

Quique-stone

Hello Quique Stone,

The advert is for Personal Mobile, a phone company. It's had over 100,000 views on youtube in the last fortnight :

I've been told by a couple of people that it's on television over there, so hopefully you'll see it.

Declan

Date: August 10, 2013 20:15

treaclefingers
Lovely Declan, thanks for posting! Got better for me as the song continued. Very catchy and loved the almost awkward sounding title.

I have a question, besides the background vocals that I'm hearing is the lead vocal double tracked? Is that you singing?

In the video, liked the shot of the girl that cuts away just as she's about to sing.

Good job man!

Thank you, Treacle Fingers. Yes, it is me singing, and I always double-track the lead vocal. I remember reading an interview with Dave Grohl once in which, on being asked which bit of advice he'd give to singers, he said something like "Always double-track the main vocal part". I remember thinking "He's right, there." Nearly always sound better - unless you're Elvis or someone else very good. I've heard Mick do it a lot.

Cheers for now,

Declan

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 10, 2013 21:00

This is bloody good. Best of luck with it!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 10, 2013 21:10

Nice song!!

Date: August 10, 2013 21:47

DD
treaclefingers

Good job man!

Thank you, Treacle Fingers. Yes, it is me singing, and I always double-track the lead vocal. I remember reading an interview with Dave Grohl once in which, on being asked which bit of advice he'd give to singers, he said something like "Always double-track the main vocal part". I remember thinking "He's right, there." Nearly always sound better - unless you're Elvis or someone else very good. I've heard Mick do it a lot.

Cheers for now,

Declan

Good call on the double tracking, sounds excellent.

Good luck to you and your band!

Date: August 10, 2013 22:13

DD
Quique-stone

Hello Quique Stone,

The advert is for Personal Mobile, a phone company. It's had over 100,000 views on youtube in the last fortnight :

I've been told by a couple of people that it's on television over there, so hopefully you'll see it.

Declan

Hi again Declan, you have been told right! The advert is very hot in the TV since a pair of days! It's nice and well done but your song and video of course are much better! Personal is a very big and strong cellphone firm here. I'm totally sure you have the genuine right to ask what consider you deserve for giving the rights to use your band's song. The compositor (I guess you are involved), the band and your record label should have been asked before using the song in the advert. I'm also sure that if you contact Personal, you will (really hope so) find an agreement, maybe money or maybe another thing. "Personal" sponsors a rock festival here in Buenos Aires once in a year (the "Personal Fest" ). The dates for this year are October 12nd and 13rd and Aerosmith and Muse will be the main numbers. Maybe you can use this information and opportunity and get an invite for your band to play here. Come on, the song is used for the current campaign of the mobile. Just an idea of my part! You will spend a real good time here. You have nothing to lose, right?!
And if it is not for this year, then it can be for the next one. Maybe we can meet here someday, you never know!
Btw, the song is really nice!

Some links if they are useful:
[www.personal.com.ar]
[www.vuenosairez.com]

Best of the lucks Declan! And let me know if I can help you in anything!
thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-10 22:20 by Quique-stone.

Date: August 10, 2013 22:30

I forgot to say that the advert is like a game, you must count the bunnies with mustache ("conejos con bigote" ), they announce 300.000 prices ("juegos de regalo" ).
There must and got to be something for you and your band!
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-11 02:02 by Quique-stone.

Date: August 11, 2013 01:26

Quique-stone
DD
Quique-stone

Hello Quique Stone,

Declan

Hi again Declan, you have been told right! The advert is very hot in the TV since a pair of days! It's nice and well done but your song and video of course are much better! Personal is a very big and strong cellphone firm here. I'm totally sure you have the genuine right to ask what consider you deserve for giving the rights to use your band's song. The compositor (I guess you are involved), the band and your record label should have been asked before using the song in the advert. I'm also sure that if you contact Personal, you will (really hope so) find an agreement, maybe money or maybe another thing. "Personal" sponsors a rock festival here in Buenos Aires once in a year (the "Personal Fest" ). The dates for this year are October 12nd and 13rd and Aerosmith and Muse will be the main numbers. Maybe you can use this information and opportunity and get an invite for your band to play here. Come on, the song is used for the current campaign of the mobile. Just an idea of my part! You will spend a real good time here. You have nothing to lose, right?!
And if it is not for this year, then it can be for the next one. Maybe we can meet here someday, you never know!
Btw, the song is really nice!

Some links if they are useful:
[www.personal.com.ar]
[www.vuenosairez.com]

Best of the lucks Declan! And let me know if I can help you in anything!
thumbs up

I was kind of under the impression that Pickwick was being compensated.

I can't imagine any large company leaving themselves open that way.

Date: August 11, 2013 02:27

Thanks to everyone who's replied. Gazza - your exemplary taste in music is once again demonstrated...

Quique Stone, thank you for your responses. Yes, Personal arranged a contract with me and have done everything properly, so I have been compensated. And we are currently looking into the possibility of playing dates in Argentina later this year.

And if you would like to help; ask all your friends to buy the song! (I hope these links work in Argentina...)

[www.amazon.co.uk]

or

[itunes.apple.com]

Thank you,

Declan

Date: August 11, 2013 05:03

OK Declan! I got it right now!

Hope to see and hear you soon down here!

smileys with beer

Date: August 11, 2013 10:08

DD
Thanks to everyone who's replied. Gazza - your exemplary taste in music is once again demonstrated...

Quique Stone, thank you for your responses. Yes, Personal arranged a contract with me and have done everything properly, so I have been compensated. And we are currently looking into the possibility of playing dates in Argentina later this year.

And if you would like to help; ask all your friends to buy the song! (I hope these links work in Argentina...)

[www.amazon.co.uk]

or

[itunes.apple.com]

Thank you,

Declan

More power to you!

Have you recorded other songs as well, or are these the first two?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 11, 2013 10:13

Why do "the Pickwicks" sound familiar to me? Was there a 60s band with the same name?

Good song, anyway--congrats on all the exposure you're getting!

Date: August 11, 2013 15:38

treaclefingers
DD

[www.amazon.co.uk]

or

[itunes.apple.com]

Thank you,

Declan

More power to you!

Treaclefingers,

I've got an album's worth recorded, with a couple of b-sides, waiting to go. Been going through the usual route of playing live and seeking management or label interest, but with so many acts trying to do the same, it can be a laboured process. My plan, even before all this happened with the advert, was to start releasing them as a monthly free download to try to gain some exposure. Hopefully, the advert will help in that respect.

Aquamarine,

Yes, there was a band in the early to mid-sixties called The Pickwicks. We were aware of this when choosing the name for ourselves but went ahead as there wasn't much online about them, though that now appears to have changed and there are more of their songs now available to hear. I'm obviously hoping that there won't be a problem in this regard...

Thanks again to everyone who has replied,

Declan

Date: August 11, 2013 17:39

DD
treaclefingers
DD

[www.amazon.co.uk]

or

[itunes.apple.com]

Thank you,

Declan

More power to you!

Treaclefingers,

I've got an album's worth recorded, with a couple of b-sides, waiting to go. Been going through the usual route of playing live and seeking management or label interest, but with so many acts trying to do the same, it can be a laboured process. My plan, even before all this happened with the advert, was to start releasing them as a monthly free download to try to gain some exposure. Hopefully, the advert will help in that respect.

Aquamarine,

Yes, there was a band in the early to mid-sixties called The Pickwicks. We were aware of this when choosing the name for ourselves but went ahead as there wasn't much online about them, though that now appears to have changed and there are more of their songs now available to hear. I'm obviously hoping that there won't be a problem in this regard...

Thanks again to everyone who has replied,

Declan

Aqua asked the question that I, sort of, had thought of. I had done a google search yesterday and came up with this, a Seattle band of more recent fame:

[en.wikipedia.org])

Anyway, look forward to hearing more!

Posted by: axl79 ()
Date: August 11, 2013 18:01

Great song and nice video !
Good luck with the record contract :-)

Date: August 12, 2013 11:38

Good work, DD - keep it up thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2144
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home